Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

A Flexing of the Literary Muscles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Raelin glared at his back in suspicion. "What do you mean? Are your people planning on doing something to my home?" She couldn't help but get the feeling that he was hiding something from her that involved the trees' warning.

Frank glanced over one shoulder at Raelin. He had felt the mistrust even before it was confirmed by her stance and the tone in her questions. He sighed. "We haven't yet. I told you, we're here to survey the planet. To catalogue its resources and take note of anything of particular use or benefit to the Corporation."

Anderson pointed off beyond the faint glow of moonlight about the couple. "So far, all I've done is spray paint markers on a few trees that looked removable to help with establishing camp." He glanced at the ground as his eyes passed through the center of the clearing he was in.

"Oh, and I made a small campfire," he admitted.

Raelin gawked at him, horrified. "You painted the trees so that you could cut them down? You're surveying my home for resources for your people? What happened to all of your trees? Did you cut them down as well?" She huffed and glared at his back, frustrated and unsure how to stop this nonsense.

Frank was at a loss for what to say to Raelin. How does one explain stupidity or greed? How can I explain what umpteen generations did to one another and their worlds centuries before I was even born?

"Quite a number of them, yes," he said quietly. "But, you misunderstand. I'm trained in knowing what trees can be culled without harming a stand--how to thin a forest the way a gardener prunes a hedge. It's part of what I do."

He ran his right hand over the stubble on his chin and cheeks then sighed. "But we were not prepared for or warned about flora with a selfawareness and communicatable sentience. I will have to report back to Skywatch in the morning and tell them we'll need to go elsewhere to find a suitable place for the colony."

Anderson felt and saw the anger building with Raelin and stepped suddenly to her, catching both her hands in his own and meeting her eyes square on. "I know you're mad. But, and I know this is probably going to sound strange--we have just met, but I really don't want you to be angry with me."

Without really realizing it, Frank's telepathy and empathy blended together and his mind brushed the desire he'd been pushing aside right up against Raelin's mental defenses.

She yanked her hands away roughly, her eyes narrowed in distrust and fury. "Well I am mad. You plan to destroy our home to build colonies for your own people. Why would you need to build colonies on other people's land? Is it just greed? A desire to rule what is not yours?"

She turned her back to him and stalked to the edge of the cliff, ready to leap back down into the forest to warn others. "Do your people do this often? Descimate what doesn't belog to them? You call it thinning the trees, But it is the taking of ancient lives. These trees have been here since before our oldest elders. If you cut even one down without permission it will begin a war that you don't want to wage."

Raelin was right. Waging war was the last thing that Frank Anderson wanted to do. She was lucky, however, that he was the advanceman for this mission. He could think of a number of people, just on his current ship, who would have simply 'dozed the acreage needed for what they were doing and not bothered to hunt and peck and find a way to fit themselves in and among the natural environment.

However, this was not supposed to be a first contact.

Better to cut our losses and run for it.

Anderson raised his sidearm and flicked the stun setting to max while he toggled off the safety. With a silent flash of scarlet tinged blue light, he fired the handlaser and shot Raelin in the back. As he ran towards the staggering body, he touched the emergency transmitter on his wrist.

"Skywatch, this is Foresthome. Recall stat. Two for transit. Repeat: Two for transit."

Anderson reached the shapeshifter and looked to see how she had reacted to the laser's discharge. The shimmer of transit came up around them and the air tinkled with a faint mix of chimes and a snap as air rushed in to fill the space they vanished from.

He looked down into those eyes and said, "Don't kill me. This is just how things have to be, for now."

And they were gone.

Raelin gasped as a sharp pain struck the middle of her back. Her middle went numb and cold, and the icy burn spread through her veins to her arms and legs. It seemed take an eternity for the numbness to take over, but when it finally did, everything fell into blackness. She vaugely sensed someone grabbing her limp form, but she wasn't sure who. Her mind was shrouded in fog, and thoughts were misplaced and out of order.

Argus had watched the conversation take place from the off-worlder and Raelin. Several times he was tempted to launch from his perch in the trees to eliminate the strange creature, but curiosity got the better of him. Argus wanted to know more of this beast before reporting to his superiors. Calmly, he listened about the creature's desire to harvest Caelid of its resources. It was difficult to still his instinctual growling at such a thought.

The more this creature spoke, the more Argus wanted to replenish the earth with its life force. He even recalled a withered sapling that could use the refuse of a Bleeder, but his attention was drawn to this creature's tone of voice. It was obviously upsetting Raelin to a breaking point. Forcing his body to shift to a less animal shape, Argus grew to be the size of a larger man, only still possessing several of his canine features.

The shift was always slow to come, as it was one of his failings. Such a failing cost him the protection of the dear Raelin. The off-worlder attacked the lass and seemingly disappeared into thin air. Argus lept to the spot with haste, hoping to be of some use, but knew it was false hope from the beginning thought. As the tinkle of metal chimes faded, he gnashed at the air in anger. Sitting in the spot, he looked skyward for a little while before formulating his message to the Elders. Such a brazen attack, much less abduction, was grounds for aggressive tactics.

The cooshee shifter forced himself back into his more normal animal shape, tearing into the forest with great speed. The words slowly formed in his mind about how to explain his failure, but more importantly, the proposed plan to bring back the beloved Raelin. She was a rather important diplomat on Caelid and would be highly sought after to return her. The leaves blasted past his muzzle while he planned his report.

Working the "evening" shift didn't mean as much when you were shipboard. When the break between your day and your night is indicated by the clock on the wall and a subtle shift in the lighting effects in the hallways and public spaces, it doesn't matter as much whether you're a night owl or an early bird.

Unless you have to be on monitor duty for a away team, that is.

Planetside, you have to deal with a variety of things that you don't have to when shipboard; day and night being two of the least obnoxious. Moreso, of course, in the view of those who have to readjust them while still topside.

Anton was quite settled in for the night. He had a large cup of stim--coffee-flavor, one of his favorites--and a snack already set aside for later, and had just turned on his e-reader when the indicator lights on one of the panels went red and an alarm klaxon kicked off.

"What is that?" he said but the computer was already answering him.

"WARNING! Weapon discharge detected on surface! WARNING!"

The radio crackled a touch as a message slipped through the atmosphere. ""Skywatch, this is Foresthome. Recall stat. Two for transit. Repeat: Two for transit." Anton shook his head. Frank god-damn-friggin' Anderson The captain is going to have a fit.
Anton flipped some switches and hit some buttons. A vid-image appeared over his console, showing a startled technician. "Mallory?" Anton asked the woman. She nodded and he continued, "Emergency transit in route. Clear transit room and seal. No one in or out but the Captain and CMO, got it?"
"Understood."
Anton then switched the comm channel to find the captain. The image appeared and Anton said, "Captain? We have a situation."

Raelin's eyes fluttered open just enough to see his face. She growled, the sound coming from deep in her chest and rumbling and resonating outward. "What the hell did do to me?" She swung a loosely balled fist at him, the half-hearted swing landing with a thud against his shoulder. It wasn't a hard swing, but it made enough contact to make a dull sound.

Frank let the blow fall against him then caught Raelin's wrist when she drew back her arm and pulled her right up against him. "Easy," he said quietly. "Between the laser and transit, you're probably going to be a little out of it physically. I needed to bring you with me when I left your planet's surface; and, unfortunately, shooting you first and apologizing later seemed the best way to do it."

He stood, drawing the young woman to her feet with him. Around them, the bright glow of the transit chamber pulsed with a secondary light that indicated they were still being scanned. And probably decontaminated.

"Now, you should be safe with me, but you're going to have to trust me and not do anything violent that will give the ship's crew reason to subdue you and send you to the brig....or worse" Frank let the added thought brush against the shifter's mind and backed it with a brief vision of what terrible things might happen to such a beautiful woman among some of the xenophobes and bigots he knew to be among the crew.

"Can I have your trust, for now?

Raelin's anger boiled, and it rankled that he held her so damn close, like a good friend or a lover, but she was physically weak, and knew of no other option. "I shouldn't trust you...I should slit your traitorous throat. But You have my trust for now." Her knees still felt weak, and it angered her to no end, but for now she let herself be a useless woman. For now she would lean into him for support, pretend like she was a helpless, civil young woman.

His paws padded the earth with great haste. With the leaves and branches of low lying brush slapping his face, Argus jumped through bushes heading for the Elder Circle. He knew he would be punished for his lack of ability, but he had hoped that by retelling the events, he would be spared from the harshest of treatment.

After nearly six miles of travel, Argus slowed his canine gallop as he approached the scared grounds of his forest Elders. The refreshing and tell-tale smell of jasmine wafted past his delicate nose has he walked slowly, passing the threshold.

The three foot thick ring of white granite stones marked where the Elders called home. It encompassed a huge swath of the forest and the greenery changed from one side to the other. The trees and shrubs inside the Circle were much older, but so very vibrant compared to the younger forest. Strange and exotic flowers grew over the forest floor, all smelling strong and unique. What was more amazing than just the sight was the fact that the plants would bend and move, allowing those permitted to pass to do so. If you were not welcome, it was easy to find yourself forever lost as the trees would guide you in circles.

Argus stood at the very edge of the Elders' Circle, looking at the delicate white flowers nearest to his paws. Sure enough, the vines recoiled, making a path for the cooshee. He always felt like he would be one of the less fortunate to walk themselves to death, but was surprised each time when he found himself in the Elders' company.

As the ancient forest thinned, he knew he was rather close. He could see the large white stones forming the Council's Circle. With his head held low, Argus pushed past the last vestige of safety into outer ring of small round stones. It was not long before the Elders began combing his mind. Their warm sticky tendrils ran through his thoughts has Argus came to sit near the throne of the Supreme Elder.

Before he opened his mouth, he was addressed in an unpleasant tone. "Argus, your constant failures wears thin my patience. You know of this and the failure continue. This is fact." the low and raspy voice came in heavy breaths. The cooshee shifter hung his head in submission, knowing full well he needed to refrain form speaking.

Tarmanth spoke once more in his aged vibrato. "Yet, you bring us the warning of Bleeders attempting destruction. For this, your punishment shall be lessened. Leave us to debate our thoughts and returned once summoned. Begone, Argus of Failure." he hissed at the end. Feeling humiliated, Argus tucked his thin tail between his hind legs, skittering from the Circle.

Once more relived to find himself on the opposite side of the threshold, he drew a deep breath, darting back where Raelin had been abducted. He wanted to be there if the Bleeder returned. He had a few traps to arrange and some spells to prepare to welcome him back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom