Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Sisterhood - Isabelle's Tale - Chapter 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drielle

Super-Earth
Chapter 1 – A letter of Turmoil

Objectives: Establish herself at Purehill Convent; Talk to Lord Stride about his letter; Investigate Sister Ollandra’s former room; Establish a way of sending massages back to Greyhall’s Basilica.

Aspects: None

Scene 1: Winter 15th, 913 - Day

After weeks of travel, Isabelle finally sets foot at the so called Haygrove Village. The caravan which she got passage was heading to Ravensdale, its final stop, but the caravan master made a little detour to give the Priestess a shorter walk. Here and there, during the travel, Isabelle asked about the journey, the Sea Route road and Haygrove itself, taking some knowledge of the place in advance. The curious part was that the caravan master decided to skip stopping at Haygrove, because the merchandises he was bringing from Greyhall – the kingdom’s capital – were “too expensive and luxurious to this place”. An elaborate way to say Haygrove was just a farming village. Actually, a very poor farming village.

During her walk on the last road leading to the village center, Isabelle passed by a large amount of rural properties, for now not producing due to the snow accumulating all around. It is the beginning of winter, but Haygrove is a colder place, due to its high altitude, next to the mountains. Step after step and struggling against a foot high snow, only protected by her white religious robe and hood and carrying her large backpack, the black haired girl reaches the village center.

Taking a look around as she steps to the center, Isabelle gets learning where she may find the local baker, the smith, the tavern and many other commodities she may need during her time in the region. A little more ahead, she may see the mansion, where becomes a little obvious the Baron himself would be found. For a moment, before proceeding, the Priestess decided to look to the horizon, at the opposite direction and up to the hills, where she supposes the Purehill convent may be found. Probably, her next stop. Probably, her next home for the time she spends at the region. She hard breathes in the cold, preparing her spirit for what is to come.

Drielle said:
Chapter 1 – A letter of Turmoil

Objectives: Establish herself at Purehill Convent; Talk to Lord Stride about his letter; Investigate Sister Ollandra’s former room; Establish a way of sending massages back to Greyhall’s Basilica.

Aspects: None

Scene 1: Winter 15th, 913 - Day

After weeks of travel, Isabelle finally sets foot at the so called Haygrove Village. The caravan which she got passage was heading to Ravensdale, its final stop, but the caravan master made a little detour to give the Priestess a shorter walk. Here and there, during the travel, Isabelle asked about the journey, the Sea Route road and Haygrove itself, taking some knowledge of the place in advance. The curious part was that the caravan master decided to skip stopping at Haygrove, because the merchandises he was bringing from Greyhall – the kingdom’s capital – were “too expensive and luxurious to this place”. An elaborate way to say Haygrove was just a farming village. Actually, a very poor farming village.

During her walk on the last road leading to the village center, Isabelle passed by a large amount of rural properties, for now not producing due to the snow accumulating all around. It is the beginning of winter, but Haygrove is a colder place, due to its high altitude, next to the mountains. Step after step and struggling against a foot high snow, only protected by her white religious robe and hood and carrying her large backpack, the black haired girl reaches the village center.

Taking a look around as she steps to the center, Isabelle gets learning where she may find the local baker, the smith, the tavern and many other commodities she may need during her time in the region. A little more ahead, she may see the mansion, where becomes a little obvious the Baron himself would be found. For a moment, before proceeding, the Priestess decided to look to the horizon, at the opposite direction and up to the hills, where she supposes the Purehill convent may be found. Probably, her next stop. Probably, her next home for the time she spends at the region. She hard breathes in the cold, preparing her spirit for what is to come.

The road was a difficult journey, but Zarina does not give her dedicated servants tasks that will make them soft. Luxury is not suited towards a priestess, and is a world that Isabelle walked away from a long time ago.

She looks upon the austerity of the village with approval. The people that live here must live lives of honest toil, eking out a living from the capricious forces of nature.

Turning to the village leader's manor, Isabelle approaches it with deliberate, purposeful steps. She raps on the door loudly, announcing her presence.

The manor itself was not a so extravagant house, apart from its size, especially when compared to all other buildings Isabelle saw at Haygrove. The young Priestess notices the manor was not just a house surrounded by a stone brick wall. It has other houses and additional support buildings, giving the idea many other people also live at the property and the place itself also counts with other benefits, like possibly its own smith and certainly a stable.

At the front door, a very young servant attends to the door. The blonde girl frowns for a moment, confused by the new face standing at the door. “May I help you, miss?” – She asks, evaluating Isabella is probably a miss and not a madam, as she cannot check the young Priestess’ hands in search for a wedding ring, as servants use doing.
“May I suppose you are here to see the lady baroness?”, the servant follows, now a little more polite and friendly as she gets used to the beautiful woman in white robes standing before her.

Isabelle considers the somewhat spartan accommodations, and decides to adjust her perception of this baron slightly. He may be a man of wealth, but he does not seem the vain or gluttonous sort.

"In fact, I am here with business for Lord Strider. I am Priestess Isabelle, of Her Holiness Zarina's Temple, and I have come in answer to an address he sent to the temple in Grayhall," she says, politely to the servant. "If you would inform him I am here, it is a matter of some urgency."

The servant blinks twice, in silence, creating a somewhat strange atmosphere, before replying to the Priestess: “Of course, my… holy… lady. Please, come in…” – The servant says, making a gesture of invitation so Isabelle would step inside. The first chamber in the manor – as usual – was an entrance room, adequate to Isabelle’s situation as a traveler. It has a pair of opposing benches for not so welcome visitors or others external servants wait for messages replies or orders, a place to hang cloaks or tools and a carpet very useful to clean the shoes. At the moment the religious woman stepped inside she felt the comfort of warmth, appropriate of a wooden built genuine home.

The servant signals with the head, asking for a moment of waiting and moves to the next room. Isabelle has not to wait long, as a female voice from inside yells some orders to the servant, who hastily returns to invite Isabelle to also move to the next room.

When the two young moves into the living room, they find a large environment, with doors to all sides and filled with rustic but beautiful wall carpentry. All the themes were rural, from work at the farming fields to hunting and animal handling. The furniture itself was also hard, heavy and strong. Made to last for generations if needed and for a moment Isabelle wonders if this is not the case. The illumination was yellowish, coming from torches and lamps placed everywhere, and also from a fireplace located next to a door. A pair of stairs moved through lateral walls, giving access to a second story with a small balcony and under both stairs, like a tunnel, there was an almost hidden door.

The room itself was logically separated to serve as both a small dinning room and also a living room. Probably a sort of meeting space for business and negotiations. But apart from all objects found inside, the image was dominated by two special pieces: a noble woman of about 30's and another noble and younger lady standing next to the couches placed in L.

The older woman smiles to Isabella, making a small curtsy. “My Holy Lady!” – She says, taking steps toward Isabelle – “Its so rare to have a priest or priestess from Zarina at this place! I am the Baroness Verana Strider! And this is my daughter, Tarna!” – Only at this moment, the youngest noble drops her sewing tools at the couch, making herself a curtsy, followed by a simple and blank “Miss.”
The noble woman frowns to her own daughter and then to the servant. “What are you waiting for? Take her luggage!” – She commands her servant. “Also bring something warm to the woman!” The noble pauses for a moment and then turns inquisitive to Isabelle: “Wine or tea, your Holiness?”

"Just tea will be fine, thank you," Isabelle says, smiling at the polite, pleasant young woman. As she sits down, her bottom sinking somewhat deeply into the cushion, she wonders about the letter that Lord Stride sent that brought her here, and why she was chosen in particular. She has no doubt that it was the product of divine fate, but she is curious nonetheless. "I thank you for your hospitality, and appreciate your abrupt service. It was a very... long journey from Greyhall."

The Baroness makes a head signal to her servant as Isabelle mentions the tea, then making herself comfortable at the couch too. The younger lady, a little confuse about the Priestess presence at Haygrove and specially at her house, stands looking down to the other two, unsure about how to react to such odd situation.

The Baroness rises an eyebrow, in a clear demonstration of curiosity: “I know it is a long travel, my… well… your Holiness.” – She pauses for a moment – “Forgive me. We are not used to see much of Zarina’s Priests here t Haygrove, apart from the nuns, of course. So, I am not used to deal with your temple’s titles and manners.”
The servant approaches, bringing two cups of hot tea and delivering the first to Isabelle and the second to the Baroness, both with a curtsy, before spinning around and vanishing through one of the four doors in the room.

The Baroness thanks the tea with a silent nod, before following on her observations: “I suppose you are aware that here, at the countryside we are far more used to the Cult of Nature. You may see Druids here and there every day around the village. But the Healing Goddess Servants are far more rare. Even the nuns are rare, as they are inclined to closure than coming to the town. What I know is that sometimes, merchants visit Purehill Convent, for trading and delivering supplies. And that sometimes, a new ‘nun to be’ travels there, or coming from another surrounding settlement or from Haygrove itself.”

The Baroness takes a sip from her cup. The well-dressed woman and her kind manner impress Isabelle, but the most notable fact is that seems to be the only person so far impressed about her presence. This concerns the young Priestess a little bit, as it becomes a clear demonstration that her temple and her faith – the faith to the virtue Goddess – are not so present or powerful at this side. Something that – she wonders – the Purehill Convent should somehow ensure.
The noble Lady inclines to Isabelle curious, finally reaching to the point: “So, my dear holy Priestess, may I ask what sort of matter would drag you from the Capital City of Greyhall, force you through a three weeks or more travel in roads infested by bandits and thieves to reach to a humble farming village like Haygrove?”

At this very point, Isabelle may feel the two inquisitive pair of eyes over herself. She stated her intentions and the letter before, at the door, but it seems the two noble women still curious, had not listening or not connecting things, as they should.

Isabelle decides to indulge this woman, as she has been nothing but kind to the priestess. "Do not feel troubled, my daughter," she says, finding the honorific odd to use on a woman older than her, even if as a priestess it is customary. "I am aware of the... shall we say... lack of activity on the part of the followers of the Healing Goddess. It is in fact part of the reason I have come. I have been sent by the Basilica of Zarina to reach out to the convent, in order to achieve better communication between the nuns and the central priesthood, so that we can better meet their needs. In addition, I have also been sent to better educate the inhabitants of Haygrove in the Blessings of Zarina."

"I see, my dear." - The noble woman nods her head in acceptance and then turns to her own daughter, who have been merely a witness of the conversation so far. "Mu beloved daughter, would you please go get your father. Inform him that the Priestess is here, waiting for him for pressing matters and that she didn't come from Ravendale or Blackstone, but from Greyhall itself!"

Both - Isabelle and Verana observe as Tarna moves up the stairs, step by step rising her dress to avoid any accident on the curved wooden stairway up. Then the woman faces the Priestess once again: "So, Priestess, shall i suppose it is part f your intentions with my husband finding a way to build a new temple dedicated to Zarina at Haygrove?" - The Baroness asks before another sip from her tea slowly, not facing the white robed woman.

For a moment Isabelle had two major revelations. The first is that was a sort of malicious tone in Verana's voice. The second is that - as the young Priestess was sure - the Baroness had no intention on hiding that.

Isabelle's response is cool and calm. "That is not strictly part of my assignment, no. Does the idea offend you?" She nonchalantly sips her tea.

"Offend me?" - The Baroness laughs at the idea. "No. No way. It's just the usual request from religious people. I suppose they tend doing that. Seek out for the noble person and local rulers asking for favors. And as Zarina has not a temple in town, apart from the convent, of course, i supposed this could be the case, Especially because you came from so far to take business here, at my house, instead of the convent, what would be, by the way, more natural." - The baroness was about taking another sip from her tea when a sound of steps echoes at the upper floor. "My husband." - Verana states the most obvious.

The male voice fills the entire room, as the baron makes his presence clear at the top of stairs: "Good Day!". Tne Baron's voice was Strong and his body though, as a well fed mid-aged man. As walking down the stairs, the baron starts asking: “Why the honor of such visit and how may i help the temple of Zarina. I hope your religion is not antangling Haygrove on one of your witch hunts!”
The Baron finally reaches the base of stairs, standing there in a well decorated clothing. His beard and his features reveals he is more like a rude man, matching his words and the way he received the Young Priestess.

Isabelle bows her head respectfully to the baron. He seemed the decent sort of fellow. "I have been sent in regards to the letter that you sent the Basilica, in order to better clarify the nature of the threat that is posed to the convent. As well, I was sent to aid the convent in establishing stronger ties with the priesthood central authority, so that both of our needs can be better met."

The Baron frowns for a moment, in a curious mix of strangeness and amusement, as the large man walks through the room in direct route to Isabelle. "In such case, holy woman, i suppose you will have to start dealing with your sisters at the Purehill convent. And then later..." - The Baron makes a little pause, checking on her wife for a moment, perhaps wondering something - "... Then i guess you and your kind will have a hard time on finding who sent you his letter. Because i am quite sure i never sent it or ordered no one else to send a letter to the Basillica in my name! You may bet that!" - The strong and large man, despite his age, places himself right in front the young Prietess - "Do you have the given letter with you? May i inspect his piece of forgery which carries my name on it?" - He extends his hand, rising an eyebrow.

The man's approach is sudden, and feels a touch hostile. This has been the second time the priestess has felt somewhat unwelcome here. Isabelle frowns at this, and retrieves the letter. Handing it over to him, she asks, "Then were there no such disappearances as were stated in said letter?"

In a very unpolite manner, the Baron takes the given letter from Isabelle's hands and begins inspecting it. After just a few seconds, with a slow shake of the head, he answers to the priestess question : "This is something i know nothing about. Things at Purehill convent proceed in the way your temple likes it, and the Mother Superior is queen in that building, keeping all affairs inside that walls to herself. If you are interested on knowing details about what happens or happened there, only the nuns may help you. "
The Baron finishes his inspection of the letter and returns it to Isabelle. "It is very well forged. Both at the signature as at the seal. If the priesthood had taken it to the King’s counselors, they could have determined the falsehood of the document, indeed. " - The large man makes a pause, looking genuinely concerned about Isabelle. "It's a shame you had made a such long journey because a bad taste joke "

The Baroness observe everything in silence, and in the moment Isabelle takes a glance over her, she looks a little concerned too, but mainly excited to see what Isabelle have in mind about all that drama. Finally, the lady says :"If you need any assistance, know our house is open and willing for you spend the rest of the day or even stay for the night, if needed. "

"It is the middle of the day, woman! "- the Baron warns his wife in a protest tone, but his wife just shrugs, ignoring his comments.

"I agree," Isabelle said, a slight bit perturbed by the perpetual lack of respect directed at her. Was it really so hard to show her a modicum of dignity? She took the letter back with a bit of pique in her movements, snatching it from his hands. Sighing, she said, "perhaps, but my other order of business remains the same. I shall proceed to the convent from here. Still, thank you for your offer of hospitality."

Privately, Isabelle had no wish to stay in a home she was not welcome in.

The Baron offered the Priestess a large smile, but despite the general situation, Isabelle has severe doubts if the man would be mocking her or not. "Is there anything else i could do for you, Priestess?" - the large man asks. At this very moment his wife, the Baroness, stands up, imagining that Isabelle could be en route out and would be ready to say goodbye.

By the corner of her eye, the Priestess also notices the servant standing at the entry little room, probably ready to help her on the exit. There is no trace of the Barn's daughter whereabouts.

The Baroness resists to the etiquette: "Is there anything i would do for you, Priestess? Perhaps giving you some directions or the like?"

Isabelle notes how odd it was that they suddenly became so helpful, unless it was a sign of how badly they wanted to get rid of her. "I believe I know the way, but if you wished to confirm it for me, I would not be adverse."

She had to admit to herself, she was slightly off-put by her time in this house.

causeway25oclock said:
Isabelle notes how odd it was that they suddenly became so helpful, unless it was a sign of how badly they wanted to get rid of her. "I believe I know the way, but if you wished to confirm it for me, I would not be adverse."

She had to admit to herself, she was slightly off-put by her time in this house.

The Baron smirks a bit and without a further word, takes his way up through the stairs. But the Baroness, a with a little ore concerned face, decided to lead the way to Isabelle to the door, where the maid was patiently waiting for her to open the door.

"I am sorry if your coming here was so useless, miss Priestess. I believe my husband is shocked with the idea that someone wold forge a letter in his name. But i confess i am the one really curious about who could do that and why." - The Baroness says, genuinely intrigued. - "Do you mind sending me news if you find something else about this case?"

"Very well," Isabelle said. "I will endeavor to keep you informed on this situation. If there is nothing else, I shall take my leave of you, kindly."

Once she has left, the priestess continued down the road to the convent.

Covered by irritation from her short stay at the Baron's house, Isabelle decides to leave not just that house, but the village itself. She takes a look over the houses, up to the Purehill, where the convent lies, aiming the stone black building solitary at the highs. Even with the snow of the beginning of winter, the were some activity at the streets, mostly of people coming and going to the traders' and artisans' workshops or visiting storages to grant some extra food. At last, this walk was good enough for Isabella have a good idea how the village itself is displayed and what sources she may have there. She could know the forge, market, local tavern and the like. She would also be able to fix in her mind some faces and secretly asked to her Goddess to bless such humble folk, living at this distant lands and ruled by such rude Baron.

After a good walk, she leaves the man town, crossing the fields, where he young Priestess is can see distant farming pouring smoke through chimneys houses and dead crops or simply not harvested fields suffering from weeds and ice burn. The more Isabelle walks, more further she reaches, higher the altitude becomes as sh climbs the hills and or desert and desolated the landscape becomes. The white dominated her vision and the cold from winter became more and more ruthless.

Withing no more than half an hour of walk upward hill, the Priestess was already exhausted, with all her sweat becoming a freezing mask over her face. She may hear a sound at distance from her back, getting louder and louder each minute and a glance back reveals to the young woman n white cloak that is was a cart, pulled by a man in brown robes, which comes in her direction, from her back. From her calculation, the man dragging the cart should not pass her before she reaches the stone building high at the hills, but that was just a theoretical supposition, as her walk was so slow due to the exercise that the prepared man, dragging a full cart, soon was able to reach her in a little more that midway between Haygrove and the Convent.

"Hello there!" - Isabelle hears a male voice hailing her - "Are you a postulate to the Convent? Or are you going to Hilly Mine? Perhaps Oaker?" - The more the man approaches, the more she may see a man around 50's with a wide and gentle smile on his face. "Perhaps you need a ride?"

An adult lifetime spent in temples and diligent prayer had left the priestess somewhat less than hardy, and it showed. Isabelle didn't think of herself as being completely out of shape, but it was evident that she wasn't up to taking all of this travel in stride.

The man's seeming politeness was quite refreshing to her. "Yes, I have business at the Convent. I would not wish to overly impose, but if it would not be too much trouble..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom