Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Tearjerker Moments in Anime (Spoiler Warning)

HeartOfTheDarkness

Promise Nothing, Deliver Less
Hello. I wanted to start this thread because I was curious about moments in anime made you cry. Whether you were simply tearing up, or sobbing like a baby, I'd like to know what forced those tears out of you. It can be a tragic moment, it can be a touching moment. And tears from laughing your ass off doesn't count, that would require it's own thread. And like I said in the title, spoiler warning. Some of the most tearjerking moments can't be described without revealing a spoiler or two.

And with that said, I'd like to go ahead and give my anime that made me cry. My choice would have to be Fate/Zero. A prequel to the Fate/Stay Night series, it's an overall dark story, basically showing the events that happened ten years ago in the last Grail Wars and why everyone's parents are dead. While there are a lot of sad moments in this series, there are a few particular moments that got me. The first one was Natalia's death. First off, the episode aired on Mother's Day (funny), but it showed the story of Kiritsugu's training in becoming a mage hunter with his foster mother Natalia. While she was rough on him, he looked up to her. On one particular mission, Natalia boarded a plane with her target and was suppose to kill him without him noticing. Unfortunately it goes wrong, and the plane is filled with zombies, and she's forced to land the plane. Kiritsugu keeps her company over the radio, but they both know that there's no way to save her. Right before he fires a rocket at the plane, he tells her that he always thought of her as a mother, then breaks down and cries after her death.

The next moment that got me was when Kiritsugu was forced to kill the fake Illya. Illiya didn't have very many scenes in Fate/Zero, but just about every scene with her was basically showing off how cute she was. Having her play in the snow with her father, being comforted by her mother. Overall, many people love Illya, she's just a cute character, cute enough to warrant her own spin-off series. So while we know it's not the real Illya, it's still shocking and tragic to see Kiritsugu point a gun at her head and blow her brains out. I wonder how many people will react to what happens to her in the Spring when Unlimited Blade Works returns.

Another moment was at the end of the series when you see Rin. She's forced to take care of her mother who's left with brain damage, and Kirei gives her a gift, the murder weapon that was used to kill her father (although she doesn't know how he really died). It's that moment that she's unable to keep a straight face, and she finally breaks down and cries. Rin is basically my favorite of the three heroines in the Fate series. I was happy to see her as a child, but seeing her have to live on without a father and have to take care of a mother who won't be around for much longer, it's tough to take in.

Next up is Rider's death. For a good bit of the series, Rider was the character that would lighten up the mood. He was over-the-top, but a huge badass. He seemed like the type of guy you would want to party with. We all knew he was going to die in the end, but we hoped he would go out like a badass. Luckily, he did. He faces off with Gilgamesh, his Noble Phantasm crumbling before the golden warrior's powers. So he tells his master to live on and charges headfirst towards Gilgamesh and his barrage of swords. He gets impaled many times, but he continues to charge until he's chained down and stabbed with the same weapon that destroyed his ultimate attack. While he died in the end, he was strong enough to win over the respect of Gilgamesh, one of the main villains of the series. Basically, Rider's death was one of those moments that brought out man tears, sort of like the ending of Brave Heart.

And finally, this isn't exactly a precise moment, but just a general character, Kariya Matou's story. From the beginning, you have a hard time seeing his story. He fights for a pretty noble cause, to save Sakura from the Matou family, but since we know Sakura remains with the Matou family in Fate/Stay Night, we all know that he fails. However, seeing how he fails is rough. He learns a magic that slowly kills him, he controls an unstable servant, which only drives him insane bit by bit. He breaks down when he's confronted by Rin's mother, the woman he loves, and strangles her in a fit of rage and insanity. Then tries to rescue Sakura, only to fall into the worm pit and be devoured, but not before we see a pretty tragic vision of what we all hoped to see.

While it's a pretty rough story at times, Fate/Zero is one of my favorite shows. I love the Fate series in general, but Zero had some of my favorite characters in the series. I would highly recommend it, but not without a warning. Watch it with caution, it's a dark series.

Well, there's my series, I'd like to hear what some of you guys have. What made you tear up and cry. If this does well, I may share a few more moments.

Chrono Crusade! Definitely. That ending made me cry so hard.

They go through all that trouble and all that heartache together and then, at the end, they die. Their friends find them holding each others hands, looking like they are cuddling but they are dead. IT GETS ME EVERY TIME!

So sad. I hate that anime for doing that to me.

Fairy Tail had several moments that made me cry too....

Piccolo_saves_Gohan_by_Milo_by_Miloeden.jpg

'nuff said.

Hmm

K-on especially the movie when the other 3 band mates finally showed Azusa the song they thought of.

Corpse party- crying for an hour after they killed seiko, she was hung by her friend Naomi in a bathroom in the cursed school but she didn't do on purpose, it's cool where there's a scene that Naomi looks at a tv and It shows a spirit possessed her to do it

Sekerei- when uzume died (cried like for like 30 minutes)

I cried really hard during that scene in Fruits Basket where Momiji started talking about how his mother didn't want him. :'c

Fairy Tail has like one million tear jerker moments. I got dehydrated because of it. XD

Also, Noragami. >.<

Kamisama Kiss... When Nanami confesses her love for Tomoe that first time on top of the building. He says there is no way he will ever allow himself to be involved with any human, he accidentally drops her off the building, he dives to save her but she commands him not to touch her. If he never even liked her then he shouldn't touch her ever again.

It is so sad...

Roy Fokker's death in Robotech, and the way that Claudia and Rick handled it:
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjQtYMJ1HA4[/video]
(I couldn't find the scene in English, so have a sad song version...)

Tokyo Ghoul Root A.

Whyyyyyyyyyyy.... Whyyyyyyyyyyyyy? *Screams while sobbing.*

I am reposting these because I found the vids for them. I am puting up both english and Japanese dubs, I find the english dub slightly more wrenching, however you can choose for yourself.

SPOILER ALERT! (though thisshould be obvious) If you don't want spoilers for the show Kamisama Kiss then do not watch these videos.
Japanese Dub:

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPZcfHnrEdA[/video]

english dub:

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9N8a2tgVP9k&spfreload=10[/video]

Fyre said:
Fairy Tail has like one million tear jerker moments. I got dehydrated because of it. XD

Also, Noragami. >.<

Yep................... >/////<

OMFG! Sooooo many moments where you can't help but cry. And I'm talking you outright bawl. <.< I think my neighbors can hear me sobbing. >.> *shakes fist*

Yuyu Hakusho has some tearjerker moments too, like Yusuke's wake in the very first episode...

[video=youtube]https://youtu.be/u-6DBDeLQ_s?t=10s[/video]​

Fullmetal Alchemist
Tucker transmutes Nina and Alexander to create a talking chimera.

tumblr_inline_nq456oAran1rm9sqg_500.gif

Panty and stocking near the end of episode 9

She wants to experience love and she finally finds it but it's with a ghost, in the end of the episode the ghost buys her a ring from a pawnshop, but his soul suddenly starts to float into heaven showing he's finally found something he cares about and he can rest peacefully leaving stocking wih the ring to remember him by.

Back
Top Bottom