Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

..::An idea for supporting BMR...::..

Ironic

ɪꜱɴ’ᴛ ɪᴛ 𝓘𝓻𝓸𝓷𝓲𝓬, ᴅᴏɴᴛᴄʜᴀ ᴛʜɪɴᴋ?
Staff member
I got the idea from the website Chatango.

Say you really wanted an original or cool username, but oh darn! It's already taken. As you browse the profile of said account, you see that they have been inactive for around 100+ days.

Maybe we can make a feature where we can buy dead accounts, maybe for $5-$20 a piece or something like that. It'll help with the clutter of inactive members too.

Just an idea that was in my head.

I personally think inactive accounts should just be pruned every so often, maybe every 3 months or so ...but then, what about the people who join, get busy and want to come back after a few months?

I just don't think I would want to buy a name, if I ever did want to change.

I did think about that. That is why there is a specific amount of time, and of course if they read the rules it would say in bold what will happen to their account if they were inactive for the amount of time. Resulting in a "dead" account.

Just an idea.

I buy original accounts all of the time on Chatango, and they use that money to power up their site. So I just decided that would be cool to see that happen on BMR. XD

Well, of course it can be longer. That's just how it is on Chatango. It prevents name hoggers.

I think the mass cleaning would be good too.

You could purchase the username and either change your main accounts name to it, or just entirely use the account as a new one. They would reset the account you just bought so you can place your desired email and start anew.

I have asked after a mass deletion of accounts in the past. There is a huge list of people with 0 posts to their name, it was turned down as they could be PM rpers.

Nihilistic_Impact said:
I have asked after a mass deletion of accounts in the past. There is a huge list of people with 0 posts to their name, it was turned down as they could be PM rpers.

It could work if they haven't logged in in a long time. I'm okay with the idea so long as we have like a reasonable time frame on it, like they haven't logged in in a year or over. We can assume at that point that person's either not on hiatus and they're just never coming back OR that even if they came back, they probably wouldn't remember their password anyway.

I do not agree to have this implemented for users with role-play posts. I personally, save everything to files on my computer and on discs, just because I've been on shitty forums before where they "accidentally" deleted things or lost entire months worth of writing because of a glitch. But sometimes, it's nice to have a place to come back to and see your work, still there and available. I don't know, that's just my personal thing. Otherwise, why even save up the money for forum and server space at all? Why not just trim the fat continuously, you know?

That's my only argument against, otherwise seems like a good idea. Posters with 0 posts and they haven't logged in for over a year(or whatever time limit is put on the names being recycled). Personally, I wouldn't buy usernames either but for some people, it's nice to have consistency when they move to a new place and not have to put a number in their name when they sign up with a username they've used elsewhere and like being known by.

The biggest issue with all of this is, not knowing what is going on with the member in question.

For the most part people who haven't logged in for a year or more either don't come back or create another account. But thats not how it works for everyone. Life always comes first and sometimes it takes people away for long periods of time. Eventually they come back, some remember their passwords and just get back on their original account.

Because we don't know whats going on with people, what they plan or any of that, it makes it really hard to do anything about it. The majority of the members have families, jobs, schooling and other responsibilities to take care of. So sometimes it becomes impossible to log in to the site for long periods of time. So, it is a good idea, I just don't know how well it would work for a site like BMR.

Back
Top Bottom