Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Korrasami ship has sailed.(spoilers kinda)

Megitsune

Pulsar
((I know some people don't think avatar/korra is anime but I don't know where else to put this xD))

So, there has been some talk about the ending to The Legend of Korra when Asami and Korra left for the spirit world together. Today the creators have offically confirmed that yes, Korra and Asami fell in love.

Here's the link to the creator's blog

http://mikedimartinostory.com/2014/12/22/korrasami-confirmed/

I wasn't much of a shipper for any characters but I love this. Being apart of the LGBT community myself. To have two character's of the same gender fall in love on an american kids show was a gutsy move. Even though they might have just did this give into the shippers it still doesn't change the fact that they actually went through with it. My hats off to the creators of Korra :3

Korrasami forever<333333

I kinda predicted it. It looked too much like Last Airbender's finale to just be a coincidence.

e05.png

But ah, yeah, biracial lesbian couple- that's pretty cool, though I don't think this'll open the floodgates for similar things in other cartoons. Ballsy move on Bryke's part all the same.

Gotta agree; it was beautiful and more than a bit ballsy (especially considering how swiftly it was confirmed after the series ended; I've seen a lot of similar reveals take place months or even years after the series is finished). I had assumed that, if they mentioned it at all, it would be an ambiguous thing leaving one to draw their own conclusions.

The best part was how...well, realistic the pairing was depicted. (It was that wheelchair scene in S3 that clinched it for me personally.) Seeing Korra and Asami like that didn't seem like titillating fan-service, pulled out of thin air (or certain orifices), or done for cheap shock value on any level, and it lacked the constant strife and endlessly forced "True love is BORING!" melodrama you see a lot on TV. It was the beautiful evolution of genuine friendship, trust and kindness between two equals. Plus, it was subtly done, the moments being quiet and intimate yet powerful, rather than extreme attention-grabbing bombast.

That's one thing I loved about Avatar and Korra (for the most part): The creators trusted that we, the audience, would be insightful enough and mature enough to handle certain issues, and treated its subject matter with the gravity and dignity it deserved. I just hope that, even if it's the siren song of the Avatar universe, they will return in the future with a new series and more stories. :)

One thing I liked about Korra more than the original Avatar series, was that it was so hard to call from the beginning. With Aang and Katara, you knew from the very first episode how things would play out. I was mildly thrown off when Katara and Zuko started to get close in the cave but deep down, I still knew. There was no other girl it could have been.

With Korra's series though, it was different. At first, I was rolling my eyes because I was placing bets on Korra and Mako, but then he was with Asami... and eventually Korra as well. Speaking as a bisexual myself, this whole triangle really appealed to me. It wasn't until the third book that I could see something more to Korra and Asami than friendship but even then, like Vyce said, it was realistic in how they portrayed it. It wasn't out of no where and had been slowly building and you never really knew just where it was known to either of them that there was attraction there, much less when it became mutual.

I'm actually pretty damn surprised it was confirmed. It was bold. More so I think because it wasn't out right lesbian. In a way, it is more acceptable to be gay than to be bi. Even in the few instances where a character is bi, other relationships aren't explored so deeply. They might flirt with whatever but ultimately just have one attraction to serve as a focal point. The fact that this was in a "kids" show was even more surprising. I think this is the first time in history that the characters were confirmed bisexual. Most of the others I know of are DC based shows (Teen Titans, X-men, etc.) and you only know about them if you read the comics.

Now let's just hope that Adventure Time goes into Marceline and Bubblegum dating in the past. :3

Back
Top Bottom