Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Burning Stone (Moonlight dragoness and myself)

Mizzet

Pulsar
The war had ended, at long last the blight that was Ozai that had plagued the world was eradicated and fallen. Celebrations broke out in the nations as the news spread like the fastest winds. It seemed that peace and prosperity would finally greet the earth and flourish.

That was however nothing more then fantasy. Even with the firelord gone, fightings still broke out. Followers of Ozai still plagued the land, trying to regain the power they had lost. It also seemed that the common evil that existed in the world, now flourished with Ozais demise. With the fire navy ships no longer patrolling the oceans as vastly as before, pirates, theives, and smugglers now scoured the seas like vermin.

The families that had been seperated during the wars, wept at the news of loved ones, who had been killed, or when fathers, mothers, sons and daughters, never returned from the prisons they had been taken. Many returning soldiers where injured, crippled, or no longer the same person they had been when they left to "Save the world". The war had taken a heavy toll on many, mostly of the younger generations, who would not grow up having a mother and father, or no longer having there eldest sibling to look up to.

------

Far off in Ba Sing Se, Jiang, a boy of the earth nation shared this story. It had been nearly a year since the fall of Firelord Ozai, but the pain and misery he felt, learning his father had died in the war, and that his older brother never returned, burned hotter then any fire ever could. The dark haired, Jade eyed boy would stare out at the ocean, in the direction of the fire nation, and he would curse and hate the distant land, only hoping one day that the people who had done so much damamge to his family, would pay for what they did.

In the heart of the Earth Nation, Ba Sing Se rested within its enormous walls. The city itself appeared to be a fortress with solders and weapons stationed along the border. Even though this was a time of peace, the people were still weary for the New Fire Lord, and the changes he brought. Many clung to their prejudices of the Fire Nation. They wouldn't forget the scars that were made in the hearts nor the fear when the Great Capital was seized during the war.

Even though she knew this, a young, female fire bender made her way through the bustling streets. While it was idiotic to travel among those who hated her deeply, she wore clothing native to the Earth Nation: a dark green tunic draping her shoulders down to her ankles with white breeches and a long sleeved shirt underneath, but a dark brown cloak concealed most of her body anyway with her hair tied up within the hood. She didn't want to leave any chances of someone spotting anything that might give her away. However, she made sure she didn't just hide inside her cloak or else that would seem even more suspicious. Those who did take the time to look at her, she was just another person.

I'm glad this is working out well... she thought as she turned another corner, barely avoiding another person. Being the capital, the streets were extremely congested. It took skill to avoid running into someone or something. The last thing she wanted to do was run into a cart and bring attention onto her self. Pausing for a moment, she flexed her feet. They started to throb from all the walking. Being on the road does that to you. She had to find a place to stop and rest. "Food would help too," she told herself, scanning the area. Her dull, green eyes caught the sight of a small tea house. Her body immediately headed toward the place.

Once inside, she took a seat away from the streets as well as from everyone else. She made sure she sat near a wall, so no one could catch her off guard from behind. She was paranoid like that. With little supplies on hand, she didn't want some pick pocket stealing her things or someone else. When the hostess came by, the girl finally took off her hood. Her face could be easily seen by others, but she knew no one would recognize her. Her jet black hair was common among all the nations as well as her oval face. Her pale complexion could be explain by lack of exposure to the sun, and her faded green eyes weren't helped put some at ease. She felt safe, for the time being, showing her features.

"I would like some jasmine tea and some hot cakes, she asked politely in a gentle tone. She gave a small smile and thanked the hostess as she left to get the order. As she waited, the fire bender watched the people in the room, passing the time.

Jiang sighed in satisfaction. He had just finished with another afternoon of restless training. When ever he wasn't out working or helping to restore the damaged structures from the war, he ciuld be found outside the walls, bending and effortlessly perfecting his skills at the powerful art. Today, like many other days, he was nearly covered from head to toe in a thin layer of fine dust. His complexion only slightly intensified by the mild filth.

He was garbed in his usual training atire, a dark olive green tunic with light butter cream heming, his left shoulder and wrust covered in thin leather, which was imbedded with small metal stubs. His pants the same color as his top, his feet bare and rough. He greeted the familiar guests as he entered his families tea shop. His mother, who had been attending to a dark haired girl, gave him a small smile, and then a rather upset stare as she noticed he was once again a mess. He simply smiled back and sat down.

His eyes looked around, but fell onto the dark haired girl. "New around here?" he asked her from his table. He noticed she sat away from anyone else in the tea shop, not exactly something too common because mostly everyone here knew one another.

(I just thought of an idea of why she is an outcast by the Fire Nation as well as hated by Earth Nation. Her father, as he traveled the world, fell in love with an Earth Nation women. So my character is half and half, but she inherited her father's fire bending. That's the only reason the Fire Nation puts up with her, but she is still out casted. This is would also explain her odd color of eyes. Let me know what you think.)

Just as her eyes lazed about the room, a voice called out to her. It took her a moment to realize someone was speaking to her. "Huh?" she automatically said without thinking, even though she did catch every word he said. "Oh...sorry...I can be quite scattered brain at times..." she told him, feeling awkward and embarrassed. "Yes, I am new here. I'm just passing through to visit some family." The last thing she said wasn't exactly a lie...she wasn't sure if she did have relatives here or not. However, she was pretty sure they wouldn't welcome her at all.

After talking, she examined the stranger closer. He resembled the waitress that served her earlier. They must be related somehow... she thought as she continued to scrutinize him. The thin layer of dust caught her eye the most. Perhaps an Earth Bender? She had seen many benders covered as such throughout the Earth Nation. It was similar to those in the Fire, except that clothes would be slightly singed rather than dirt covered.

It wasn't too long till the tea and cakes arrived. The fire bender could feel her stomach growl with anticipation, but manners forced her to thank the server before touching anything. She took a quick sip of her cup, then grabbed a cake to nibble on. She thought it would be rude to gorge on her meal with someone watching her.

"Sorry," he said as he seemed to have surprised the raven haired guest before listening to her explain herself. "You just seemed a bit...out of your element," he said still observing her. Of course when her order had come, he tried not to offend her by staring as she ate, though he was now very curious of her. Despite her attire, and appearence, he had a strange feeling she was just a bit off, possibly only because she was new to him where as everyone else he'd seen before.

"Did you....get seperated from them...you know because of the war?" he asked her after she had eaten some. He still didn't look directly at her as she ate, though he did feel a bit akward. "I know what that's like," he said gently, not sure why he was trying to compare himself with a complete stranger he'd just met. Though in his defense he'd never really spoken to a girl, expecially not one his age, which she seemed to be.

While she ate, the boy kept talking to her. He mention something about her being out of her element. Those words made her slightly shiver. She did her best to suppress it or make sure no one saw. That was one thing she didn't want to hear. I guess I'm not very good at pretending to be an Earth Nation resident... she thought, depressed. It was foolish to think I would be fine in the capital.

After eating a few cakes and a cup of tea, she heard the earth bender mention about family. His last statement made her heart strings pull a little. Many people lost loved ones. Not just the Earth or Water Nation, but the Fire Nation as well. With the Fire Lord ordering and brain washing the people, there wasn't much that could be done. But then again, there were those who wanted the war more than anything... her grandfather and uncle came to mind instantly, but she shoved those thoughts away quickly. "Yeah...I'm sorry to hear that...," she told him softly. She wasn't sure what to say. The atmosphere was getting uncomfortable. "I don't mean to be rude, but I better get going. She stood up and gathered the rest of the cakes into a piece of cloth to save for later. She left a few coins on the table and gave a quick, but polite bow to the stranger. "Thank you for the short conversation...

He noticed her posture, he must have been annoying her or something. So he didn;t say much, just a few things, however she seemed more in the mood to finish and leave then anything. "Oh..alright," he said as she bowed, leaving in a hurry. He mentally wanted to kick himself for being so, tactless. He sat there, wondering if he'd upset her in some way. The more he pondered the more be started to feel guilty.

He got up and went outside, looking to see where she might have went. He spotted her not very far away, and he hurried after her. "Hey um..sorry if I made you upset," he said to her. "My names Jiang," he said introducing himself properly for the first time.

Once she excused herself, she immediately left the tea house. Taking a step onto the road, she immerse herself into the flow of traffic. She hoped to make herself disappear from the boy. I know he means well, but I cannot risk him figuring out who I am... she thought sadly while pulling her cloak tighter around herself.

Just as she started to leave, the earth bender ran up to her. Shock filled her as she stopped. What is he doing? He introduced himself as Jiang. "Jiang...It's nice to meet you," she instantly replied, feeling a bit nervous again. "I'm Mei Hua, and no...you didn't upset me...I'm just a bit shy when it comes to meeting new people..."

"Thats understandable," he said, a bit releived he did not upset her." Have you been here long?" he asked her. "I could show you around I mean, or if your looking for something, I could help you find it," he suggested. Of course he was just trying to be as nice as possible.

"I actually know a nice place where I am working on a project...a boat really," he said, changing the subject suddenly."I plan to...find someone that has been missing for some time now." Jiang didn't really understand why he was telling her this, it;s not like she would really care all to much.

"I just came today. I haven't see much yet..." she replied, a little nervous still. Even though she was raised with Fire Nation ideals, she had her mother's timid demure when confronted with the unexpected. "The tour would be nice, but I don't want to put you out of the way."

After she spoke, he kept rambling on. She thought it was odd that he spoke so openly, making her feel unsure of how she felt about Jiang. "A boat? My grandfather used to be a...sailor once." She almost said something else, but she caught it the last minute. I have to be more careful.

"Oh thats interesting," he said. He still wasn't sure where she came from, it was obvious now she didn't live here though. "You must be from Omashu," he said finally after she had finished speaking.

"And it wouldn't put me out of my way, as lon as your okay with it...I'm being a bit forward, and not really making much sense again," he said. He knocked his fist gently against his head "Full of rocks," he explained jokingly.

Omashu... the word seemed to bring up memories that Mei wanted to repress. She tossed the word aside, ignoring whatever thoughts were going to come. Jiang then told her that the offered tour didn't bother him. He even joked how he skull was full of rocks. A laugh escaped her lips. "Thank you. This city is confusing," she replied with a smile. Her gloomy day was getting a little brighter. Even though she rather do things herself, having company around was a nice change of pace. Normally, she wouldn't agree to it with the chance of him and other finding out where she was from. However, being on the road so long alone, it was would be nice to have someone to guide her around instead of fumbling through the busy streets.

"Any place in particular you would like to know about first?" he asked. "I can't take you to the palace or anything, no one is really allowed to go there without permission," he said. They began walking, as he waited for her to let him know. It was rather nice having a girl to talk to, he wasn't exactly all that social, not when he had so many plans he needed to be done before he could do anything.

(Have we decided exactly what they are going to look for?)

"I've been wanting to see the temples around here. I hear they are magnificent," she told him with slight excitement. She heard many stories about Ba Sing Se from her mother. This was her chance to see everything she heard.

"Alright," he said. Normally it was the wall everyone was so interested. But it was refreshing to hear someone caring about something else. "Which one is closests?" he thought. Once he figured out a way he lead her through town, the streets where busy, but no one took them any notice. After a while they came upon one of them. "This one was made after Avatar Aang defeated Ozai," he said, it looked new and rather impressive.

When they came to the first temple, Mei Hua glazed upon the magnificent temple. When she heard Jiang's description, she understood why it was so grand. Once the Avatar brought peace throughout the four nations, people felt inclined to show their gratitude. Even the fire nation did as well. Not all fire nation citizens agreed with Ozai's ways or were so brainwashed to believe his words. However, others thought fire nation people were lying their way out of responsibility. "The people here must be proud of their work. It shows, she told him as she walked towards the building more. "Did Earth Benders make this?"

Jiang nodded "Yes I think so...but not just earth benders," he said. "Artisans here also contributed, making the plans, designs, and the things that most earthbenders cannot make." "Inside there is a statue of Aang, and that was crafted by artist hands, earth benders could not do the job delicate enough, or with enough definition," he said. Though he was sure an earth bender could make a statue of the aatar, he thought it was the task itself that made the statue all the more special. "Did you want to see the other temples as well?" he said. He knew of one that was in the Palace, but they'd get in trouble if found out.

(Sorry for not responding sooner. Bluemoon hasn't been sending me email updates. I'm so spacey as well.)

Jiang's voice carried to her ears as Mei Hua gazed around the room, admiring the artistry. When he asked about seeing others, excitement welled up inside her. She was her father's daughter after all, getting engrossed over something as simple as a temple. However, after a moment's thought, she really wished he wasn't giving her a tour. It was thoughtful of him as well as convenient, but his presence complicated things. A slight flame of anger began to light within her. She did her best to smother it before letting it surface upon her face. Earth Nation people didn't have the fiery passion or anger of the Fire Nation. She definitely got that from her father, but this was no time to show it. "I would like that, but I don't want to trouble you," she told him in her best, calm voice she could make.

Back
Top Bottom