LoTR Second Age: The Downfall of Men (darkangel76/BennyQ)

BennyQ

αὐτοκράτωρ
Supporter
Year 1803 of the Second Age, Island of Númenor

The sun shone brightly over the forested hills as the carriage rolled down the cobbled roadway. The road snaked and wove its way over and around hills, flanked by tall, lush trees on either side. Their destination? A grand estate located deep in the heart of Hyarrostar, the south-eastern pinnacle of the star-shaped island. It was a beautiful day in the land of Númenor, the gifted homeland awarded to the three houses of the Edain, rewards for their aid in the struggle against the great evil of the First Age. That had been nearly two millennia ago, but the memories were still hot and fresh in the minds of their descendants. Even now that evil endured, represented by a new Dark Lord in the vast lands of Middle-Earth across the sea. It had barely been a century since the armies under King Tar-Minastir and his chief admiral, Ciryatur had intervened in the conflict between the orcs and Elves of Eregion and Lindon. It had been a hard fought battle, but the valor of men prevailed and they drove the enemy back into the eastern lands with horrific causalities inflicted upon them. Now the powerful Houses and men of Númenor began to construct their domains upon the shore, eager to watch for the return of this foe and to help the men of Middle-Earth find enlightenment.

One of these Houses was a powerful family from Hyarrostar. They were well-founded ship-builders and owners of tree-plantations, rich and influential. In the carriage they now sat, flanked by four mounted men with tall banners and swords at their belt. The guard was merely for show, for there was no danger upon the blessed realm of Númenor, not yet at any rate. The carriage was a luxurious vehicle, with fine leather seats and wide windows that allowed fresh air to blow through the cabin. Within it sat four individuals, richly clad in silk and jewelry, and three sets of eyes were upon one. There was Amrod, the patriarch of the family, a tall man with proud eyes and an even prouder posture. His name held weight in the courts of the King in Armenelos and was accounted by men to be wise and just. His wife, Mithrellas, an equally proud woman with a stern glance and a firm hand. She followed the traditions and culture of their ancestors with a passion. Their daughter, Elenwë, whom in the native Adûnaic tongue was called Gimlîth, sat next to her mother. Across from them sat the subject of their peering eyes, their pride and joy, the son and heir of Amrod; Falahîr.

Falahîr, whom in the Adûnaic tongue is known as Sakalkhôr, Shore-Lord, had been a veteran of that war in Middle-Earth in his youth. And young he still was, for the life spans of the men of Númenor was long indeed. While both his parents were well into their second centennial, Sakalkhôr had seen his first, being aged one hundred and twenty-one years old. Despite this count of years, he no more had the appearance of a late-twenties man from Middle-Earth. His beard was close-shaven and he had a slicked back mane of fine dark hair, with a jeweled hair pin keeping it straight and neat. His eyes were grey like the sea, but they were piercing with a bright light and his complexion was bronze from the time he spent under the eyes of the sun. His shoulders were broad and his waist narrow and he had a strong build that was evident of his vigorous lifestyle. He was a great captain, whether by sea or by land, and his body bore the marks of many battles and skirmishes. He wore loose-fitting blue trousers with a long-sleeved white tunic, and overtop he bore the sable-black tunic of a soldier's uniform, blazon with the White Tee of Nimloth the Fair in the court of Kings.

All eyes were upon him, smiles and glances of hope, for Sakalkhôr was to be wed! To a beautiful maiden by the name of Míriel, daughter of the noble and proud Orod, who was an old friend of Amrod and just as influential. Sakalkhôr himself was nervous, having tried to put off this affair for many a decade with his travels but finally his parents grew tired of his sense of abandonment. "You aren't getting any younger," his mother had told him, wagging her finger in his face, "And soon you'll be a grey haired old man with a walking stick and no one to remember you by." And now, upon his return from the familial estate of Lithroslond in Harad, his parents showed little remorse in forcing him to accept a marriage contract. Now they were journeying to the betrothed's familial estates, ready to exchange vows of fealty and love. The marriage brought not only two people in matrimony, but combined the two Houses into a powerful alliance to further their own objectives. But marriage was a thing of joy and happiness, and those were the last two emotions that Sakalkhôr was experiencing right now. Sitting next to his father, he gazed out lazily into the passing thickets of trees as his family spoke of him.

"Don't fret," his sister was saying, offering him a smile, "I heard she is very pretty by all accounts."

"Then why has she taken so long to be wed as well?" Sakalkhôr shot back, crossing his arms, "She is nearly as old as me. There must be a reason for why she has not wed before." He asked suspiciously but both women laughed.

"Oh, my boy!" Mithrellas said, shaking her head, "You know nothing of women. One would have thought with all your swords and masts you would have learned a thing or two through sailor's boasts but I see you know nothing. She is a spirited girl and very independent. Her hand is much sought by the men of Númenor and you should count yourself lucky that she choose to accept you."

"And why is it that she gets a choice to wed and I am forced into it?" Sakalkhôr replied haughtily.

"Because you were given many choices and each you spurned." Amrod said with a grim voice, "And how does that reflect on us? It doesn't look good to have a wild firebrand of a son doing as he pleases. At least she is cultured and dignified, taking each choice in stride and making intelligent decisions. You just give your answer without thought, rash and uninformed, and dart off to whatever else you have your mind on. Perhaps she can teach you the patience that you refuse to learn."

"I also heard she adores you." Elenwë said again, teasing her brother. He lifted his leg to kick at her with a booted foot but she quickly dodged the weak attempt.

They journeyed the rest of the way in silence, admiring the trees brought over by the Eldar and enjoying the peaceful sounds of nature over the turning of the carriage wheels. They were soon coming to inhabited lands again, leaving the beautiful wilds of Númenor behind. They past isolated homesteads and farms, with many folk out in the fields toiling hard under the sun. It was high summer and the harvest would be bountiful as always, blessed by the auspices of Eru Ilúvatar. Sakalkhôr sent his own prayers to the Supreme Creator himself, asking for some sort of strength and guidance in this damnable marriage. Soon the isolated homes grew into larger and larger gatherings of stone and wooden houses, and eventually they made their way down a great avenue towards a vast mansion. It sat close to the sea, overlooking the white sandy beaches that the waves of Belegaer flowed upon. The carriage clattered into the courtyard, parking next to a streaming fountain and two guards dismounted to help open the doors.

"Speak only Sindarian here," Amrod warned his son, "They are a proud folk, deep in their familial traditions and are very refined. Please refrain from using the Númenorean tongue and speak no ill of the Eldar, for I know you have quite a mouth on you. Impressions are very important."

"Why should I refrain to speak the native tongue of my forefathers?" Sakalkhôr asked.

"Because I told you so. Now look lively and keep yourself erect and proud. The men of Númenor do not slouch." Armod said as he opened his door, though this remark was meant for everyone and not just his troublesome son. Sakalkhôr climbed out before helping his sister, and they circled around the vehicle to stand next to their father and mother. Míriel, Sakalkhôr said to himself over and over again, as if trying to gleam a clear picture of the woman whose name it was. Sparkling-jewel they call her. Certainly it must be for a reason? He glanced towards the large doors that led into his bride's home, waiting for her family to arrive and receive them. The sound of distant waves and the crying of gulls seemed to beckon to him, and his mind drifted off to the joys and delights of sailing and exploring the distant seas. His own home in Númenor was far from it, set amongst tall trees and farms, and felt this place had a surreal sensation to it. Sakalkhôr thought for a moment that he could hear singing somewhere, distant yet harmonious and soft.

Her breath heaved as she watched the carriage make its way along the path toward their mansion. Her blue eyes narrowing slightly as she took in the sight of the entourage, counting the number of guards and horses. A light laugh rolled over her pink lips and she pushed at her dark hair that had been pulled back with some twine, intricately braided as she'd known the Elves did so as to keep their hair from hindering their vision that saw into what had been thought to be forever. She brushed her palms over her leather-clad thighs and stealthily made her way from atop the roof and down into the chamber where she knew others would be waiting.

Quickly and quietly, she climbed through an open window, her feet touching the stone the stone floor without so much as a sound. Her hands clutched the strap that held her quiver upon her back. If not for her ears, she almost might be mistaken for being one of the sacred Elves. Almost. Though she knew better and would never think herself to be one. For she held the Elves in such high esteem, regarding them well for all the gifts they'd bestowed upon her kind and the island of Númenor. For the land had truly been blessed, granted many things by the Valar, the Eldar. Every day she and her sister looked upon the trees her family was so fortunate to have so that they could make their living.

With flushed cheeks, she moved along the stony corridor of the mansion, the walls dimly lit by candles every few feet as she swiftly made her way along it. Finally, she came upon a wooden door. Without hesitation, she pushed it open.

"Fallëloth!" came a startled voice. A beautiful woman with golden hair like the sun was sitting on a blue velvet chair. Next to her was a girl with wavy, dark tresses, her eyes like sparkling sapphires as she looked upon Fallëloth.

"Sorry, mother," Fallëloth spoke softly. "I didn't mean to intrude so abruptly." She turned to look at the dark-haired girl who was clearly preparing for something, another younger woman assisting in dressing and accessorizing her.

"It's quite all right, Fallë," the dark-haired girl then said. "Nothing will ruin this day." Her pale face lit up and she began to hum the very familiar Lay of Húrin.

"Míriel," their mother spoke, the corners of her lips turning upward in a small smile.

"It's true! Soon he'll be here!" Míriel exclaimed all too happily. "And life will be wonderful!"

"Sooner than you think," Fallë interrupted. "I was on top..."

"You weren't on the roof again..." their mother said with a sigh, though the smile she bore was still present. She shook her golden head and clasped her hands in her lap. "Whatever are your father and I going to do with you?" she asked, half to herself and half to her daughters. "Maybe some time in Lothloríen would do you some good."

Fallë's face lit up at the thought of spending time in the Elven haven. But she knew the time for that would have to wait. Now was Miri's time. Her older sister was about to wed and leave her home on Hyarrostar. Many changes were to come her way and who knew what married life would bring. Though, Miri had been ecstatic about this union for quite some time now, all songs and smiles ever since the agreement had been made.

Míriel looked over at her handmaiden, Lossëquet. "The finishing touch will be those flowers I asked you to bring me."

The raven-haired woman nodded and smiled. Lossë had a way with plants, especially flowers and Miri had asked the woman to gather some off the Larunique trees. They were special trees to those who resided in Hyarrostar. At one time they were even thought to be trees of the Valar. Despite the fact that they were not, the beauty of their flowers were considered a true blessing, a most precious gift to bestow upon the island of Númenor. The fragrance was especially sweet and their petals unusually soft to the touch. Nothing compared. And Miri wanted them to be a part of her outfit when she met her new family... her new husband.

"Of course, milady. I have gathered them just as you asked." Lossë retrieved the flowers and placed them in Miri's hair. The flowers were a pale yellow, a nice contrast to the pale blue of her gown.

Just then the door burst open and a large man thundered in. "I heard you ladies chattering and knew it would be all right to enter," he stated plainly, though his cheeks bore the barest hint of a blush.

"Orod," the golden-haired woman said with a smile, her attempt at scolding him lost as her cheeks blushed. Slowly, she stood up and made her way to stand next to him.

Orod took the golden-haired woman's hand in his own. Though she stood at a generous five foot nine, he still towered over her at his six foot five. The man embraced the golden woman tightly. "Elanor, my lovely wife," he said. The large man stepped back, giving his wife a loving look before turning his blue gaze upon his two daughters. He gave a wink at Fallë who just giggled and then he let out a sigh when his gaze fell upon Miri. "You are a vision," he stated, a large hand moving to rake his fingers through dark hair barely touched with the signs of age.

"Thank you, father," Miri said softly.

Fallë's giggles got louder. "She is a vision, though they'll soon be here! I was just atop the roof and..."

"Again?!" Orod exclaimed causing everyone to laugh. Elanor gave her youngest a knowing look.

Fallë just rolled her eyes. "Yes. And they are coming. I saw them coming up the road."

Miri smoothed out her skirts. "I think I'll take a little walk before I go meet everyone. One last look out upon the sea to help calm my nerves," she said as her tummy began to flutter nervously. "It'll do me some good."

Elanor pursed her lips and Orod placed his hands firmly on Fallë's shoulders. "Oh, very well. Though don't be long. If Fallë saw them, they it won't be long before they are here. A few moments to collect yourself at the very least," she said sternly.

Miri nodded and excused herself. She walked out into the hallway and stared out one of the windows upon the sea. It was so calm and beautiful this time of year. Though she knew it wasn't something to take lightly or underestimate. The sea held beauty and treasures, but it also held horrors. She was very much aware of such things and hardly naïve about the respect it deserved. Perhaps it was why she found it so beautiful, so beckoning. Maybe she longed for the dangers, the surprises...

Once again, Miri started to hum the Lay of Húrin and with that the hums turned into soft singing. Slowly, her nervousness ebbed. She was about to meet the man she was betrothed to, the one she would love forever. The things he'd seen and done, the things he knew and could share. Truly this was a blessing and she would embrace the union with her heart, body, mind and soul.

Sakalkhôr and his family collected themselves in the grand courtyard outside the mansion of his betrothed. The doors of the carriage were shut behind them and to Sakalkhôr, it felt like the door to his current life had been closed forever and he had been thrust into a whole new world. Everything around him seemed dreamlike, as if he were intoxicated on some fiery spirit. His father and mother stood ahead, speaking to each other and fixing little oddities in their dress that was caused by the long ride. Behind them a little ways apart stood Sakalkhôr and his sister. She was beaming and looking around, admiring the beautiful trees and the distant lolling of the sea. Everyone seemed calm besides him, making Sakalkhôr wonder whether this was simply a game they were playing on him or it actually was a dream. A small part of him wanted to flee into the woods and never return, whisked away back to his independent life of sailing the seas and exploring the far lands to the south and east. Deep in thought as he was, Sakalkhôr was jerked out of his thoughts by Elenwë, who had a mischievous smile upon her lips.

"Why the long face, brother?" She cooed at him, always teasing, always joking.

"You know why." Sakalkhôr replied in a low voice, casting a glance towards his parents. Mithrellas was correcting some wrinkle in his father's collar while they whispered together.

"You know Míriel has a sister, right?"

"Why should that matter to me?" Sakalkhôr said.

"I'm just saying, make sure you know which is which. It wouldn't do good if you got them mixed up." Elenwë said with a small smile.

"Since you know so much about them, why don't you tell me so I don't make a fool out our family?"

"I don't know that much. I know both the daughters of Orod are staunch admirers of the Eldar and they both have dark hair." Elenwë told him, before their parents finished up their minor adjustments and turned to them. It must have been a strange conversation had anyone not known the brother and sister. Elenwë spoke in Sindarian while Sakalkhôr spoke almost entirely in the Adûnaic tongue. This was exactly the type of oddity that Amrod wanted to avoid. With a nod of his head, the four of them approached the tall front doors of the mansion and waited patiently.

It wasn't long. The doors were thrown open by smiling servants who bid them enter with excited motions. Amrod and Methrellas went first followed by their children and they were greeted with much respect and flourish by their counterparts. Amrod and Orod embraced, having been great friends in their youth. Sakalkhôr did not tire to hear tales of their days together, having served with a great explorer before the war with Sauron. The ship they had served on had been the first to round the great southern cape of Harad, bending northward as they visited new and strange lands. The tales they brought of the cities and peoples there were amazing and almost every sailor and mariner knew of their journey. They were already sharing a number of private jokes with each other as Mithrellas hugged and kissed Elanor on the cheek. Sakalkhôr and Elenwë bowed their heads in greeting to Fallëloth and for a moment Sakalkhôr thought she was his bride-to-be, until when they were out of hearing Elenwë leaned over and told him that was the younger sister. "She looks like a elf." Sakalkhôr commented back, the disgust in his voice barely concealed. Would his bride be the same way?

They exchanged greetings with the parents now, Sakalkhôr firmly shaking the hand of his father-in-law and in line with Amrod's wishes, speaking only Sindarian. Yet, where was the bride? It was a question that seemed to be in all of the visitor's eyes as they were invited to sit, though no one voiced it. They moved towards some couches around a grand oak table, with single seaters on the north and south edges while couches fitting three were on the east and western side of the table. Sakalkhôr was made to sit in the north chair while Amrod sat on his right and Orod on his left. Their respective families filled the seats beyond, with the daughters in the middle and wives on the far end. The southern seat was left open for Míriel. Perhaps she fled, Sakalkhôr thought with some hope, though despair still held sway within his heart. Drinks and nourishment were provided for them while they each made small talk with each other. Amrod and Orod of course were in their own world while Sakalkhôr sat patiently between them, listening to their talk with scant attention. The ladies spoke of the garden and how wonderful it was. Time seemed to drag on forever for Sakalkhôr, feeling out of place with his military tunic while everyone else wore such fanciful and exquisite clothing.

Míriel looked out over the water through the open window, the salty sea air wafting in as she felt the sun kiss her skin with its golden rays. Slowly, she closed her eyes and the sounds of the waves crashing against the white shores filled her ears as she continued to hum the lay she knew so well, still desperately trying to calm her nerves. Unfortunately, it wasn't enough. Her hands trembled against the stony windowpane, worried that her betrothed wouldn't approve of someone such as she. Of course, she was from a well off and influential family, one who was loved and respected and well known in Hyarrostar. But that didn't mean she'd be considered acceptable by Falahîr. It didn't mean anything.

Swallowing hard, Míriel's blue eyes—as blue as the sea surrounding the island—fluttered open and she let out a long exhale. She licked at her lips, her mouth having gone dry, and fled along the corridor suddenly needing to go outside. Needing to feel the fresh air upon her face, her skin, the wind in her hair. The air was fragrant, laced with salt and the scent of the Larunique. She smiled a little as her hands moved to touch the soft yellow petals that adorned her pale blue gown.

Would Falahîr approve? She could only wonder—and hope—and in her reverie, she continued to hum, the string of sound suddenly taking on words of the lay.

Meanwhile, inside the mansion, Fallë bit down on her lower lip, her thoughts wild as she began to wonder where her elder sister might have run off to. Their parents had told Miri that she should only take a few minutes to herself before coming down into the hall, but that was ages ago now. They'd been properly fetched, had greeted their guests and were now seated in the dining hall. She cast a glance over at her mother who clearly looked distressed, but was still the picture of calm. And then there was her father. The large man seemed a bit distracted catching up with his friend, something she was grateful for and, no doubt, her mother was as well. Still, this was unlike her sister.

Miri had been nothing short of excited for this union, to meet Falahîr and his family. She'd done nothing but talk about the man for weeks, going on about his past dealings with the Elves and his involvement in the War Between Elves and Orcs. She had to admit, the man had a colorful past, an honorable past. And she envied his associations with the fair creatures she admired so greatly. Her thoughts drifted for a moment in knowing that all too soon she'd get the chance to go to Lothloríen and study and mingle with the best. Oh the things she would learn!

Míriel had taken off her shoes as she walked along the white shores of the beach, her voice no longer hushed as she sung the melody she knew so well. The breeze swirled about her slight frame, caressing her skin, her hair. How she loved the sea. She took a deep breath, her delicate fingers clutching at her shoes. Suddenly, she looked up into the sky and rounded a slight bend in the beach. Her sapphire eyes caught sight of the carriage and she gasped, her body going stark still as she stared at the coach that had brought her betrothed and his family to her home.

"Oh no..." Miri shrieked. She bit down on her lip, her blue eyes welling with tears at her behavior. She'd been nervous, distracted, had gotten wrapped up in trying to calm herself down. Time had gotten away from her and now... how long had it been? She didn't even want to think on it.

Fear coursing through her heart, Miri ran as fast as she could to the front door of her family's home. Immediately, she was greeted by servants who gestured where she should go since everyone would naturally be waiting for her.

On bare feet, Miri padded lightly along the stone floor. Never had she been so glad to be wearing such a long gown. She hoped no one noticed her feet, although the shoes she carried would probably give her away.

"Th-thank you," Miri stated to one of the servants as she entered the dining hall, her eyes finding the empty seat meant for her. She scanned the room, giving an apologetic look to her parents and Fallë. "I apologize for my late arrival," she then said, curtsying low as she turned to address Falahîr and his family. "D-do forgive me?" she asked humbly as her cheeks flushed a deep shade of pink. Her hands were shaking as she clutched her shoes, trying hard to hide them from sight, her hair slightly wind swept and the hem of her dress tarnished with sand.

The House of Orod was without a doubt a magnificent Hall. Sakalkhôr spent much of his time admiring the skill put into the masonry and the high-vaulted ceilings. The Númenóreans had come a long way in the past eighteen hundred years, since the days of Tar-Minyatur when most dwellings were made of wood and lumber. Now the men of the west lived in tall mansions of stone, built upon the seaside like the villas of the Elves. Together the two families sat and mingled with one another, chatting happily with each other. Well at least Orod and Amrod did, switching between Sindarian and Quenyan as they saw fit. It seemed as if they had forgotten why they were here in the first place, with Orod explaining to Amrod of a new model of yachts he was crafting. Sleek and slender with a single mast, it was excellent for riding the waves close to the shore. But in the eyes of the ladies present, there was another question in them; where was Míriel? They had been sitting for what seemed like a hour to Sakalkhôr and he had yet to see his bride. He had barely said more than a few words, and much of those were simple, one-word answers.

"So my boy!" Orod suddenly exclaimed, slapping one of his large, bear-like hands on his knee and causing the younger man to jerk with the pain. Did all Númenórean men grow this strong in their old age? "We've spoken enough of strange lands to the south and east, where no elf or civilized man had walked, now we wish to know of the north and west. I have seldom traveled there and neither has my friend, your father. Tell us about your adventures in Eriador and don't hold back on the detail! Was the plight of the Elves really that bad? How terrible and frightening were the orcs of the Dark Lord? Did you get to see him for yourself?" He added, casting a shadowy glance at the others to draw a reaction. He turned his big smile back to Sakalkhôr, and all others joined him. Sakalkhôr clenched his jaw slightly and lowered his eyes, but soon he folded his hands in his lap and looked back up with a smile. If they wanted to know about the Elves and their plight, then he would tell them. But first he had to remember how to speak Sindarian properly if he didn't want to make a fool out of himself first.

"Well as you know, the War of the Elves and Orcs had been waging for some time before we stepped in. I remembered sitting in the camp in Orrostar and listening to some grey-beards talking about how the Elves and Men of the North were barely holding the Lhûn against the foul servants of Sauron. Personally, I thought the Elves brought it on themselves by whatever their smiths were doing in-" Out of sight of the others, Amrod suddenly nudged Sakalkhôr 's foot harshly, causing the younger man to cease his current line of topic. "Our King, Tar-Minastir and Admiral Ciryatur resolved to split the fleet when we departed. The King went north to join Gil-Galad personally while my company was sent with Ciryatur to Vinyalondë that Tar-Aldarion built. The Haven there is strong and the forests are dense and it could scarcely contain all our ships as we disembarked on both sides of the Gwathló, though we were only a fraction of the total fleet. At the same time, the two Kings had drove back the dark host towards us and the Dark Lord had no idea we were waiting for him. We sprang out of the trees near the crossing that men there call Tharbad. And woe to the dark, for when we sprang up out of the south, from the north came a great host of grey-clad Elves, led by the Lady of the Wood..."

At that moment, the front door was heard opening and soft footsteps padded across the floor. All eyes turned upwards from Sakalkhôr, who paused mid-story to crane his head around as well, to the figure who had just strode in. Before his face was flushed with pride and nostalgia as he recounted the deeds of his early youth, now it drained considerably upon seeing the woman who entered. Dressed in a flowing dress of blue, dotted with yellow flowers that also crowned her forehead, with bright blue eyes that gleamed even in the light. Sakalkhôr felt all control and feeling leave him, and his mouth worked silently as he wordlessly finished his sentence, "...herself." He said ever so quietly, though he was now referring to Míriel. There she was in the flesh, tall and slender, with an upright bearing and proud eyes full of wisdom. Her words were soft yet musical and seductive. Yet her shoes were held loosely in her hands and not upon her feet. Why? It was only in the nature of Elves to walk thusly and Sakalkhôr had to restrain a sigh of annoyance as he realized the elder sister was exactly like the younger: a staunch admirer of Elven culture. Orod quickly rose with a smile. "My friends and family, I invite you to meet my daughter, the lady Míriel." Amrod rose first to greet her, waving off her apology with a hand. "There is nothing to forgive child. You are as beautiful as any flower, endless like the rolling sea." He took her hands gently and kissed both her cheeks. Mithrellas rose as well and did the same, heaping praise on her.

She was invited to sit across from Sakalkhôr, whose eyes still regarded her intently as his chest heaved with a heavy heart. She was gorgeous, more so than Sakalkhôr could ever dream. He might have thought her an elf on first sight, like her sister, had she not been born of this mortal family. Lost in his thoughts, Orod had to prod Sakalkhôr twice to get his attention. "Oh! Excuse me." He suddenly blurted out in Adûnaic, losing himself. He feared he might have erred greatly by resorting to that tongue but it seemed of little account to the others. Mithrellas gave him the briefest of glares as he returned to his story, somewhat less enthusiastic now that his betrothed was right in front of him. He tried to keep his eyes on Orod as he spoke. "The river Gwathló is a fast moving current and its banks are steep and heavily forded. T-the orcs were driven into it with great loss and only the coming...the coming of the Dark Lord was enough to keep us from completely annihilating his host utterly. His servants fought on with renewed vigor, as if there was a fire to their very backsides. Twice I was wounded and twice I forced myself to return, not wanting to be left out because of a minor injury, but the Shadow was very great. It was like a icy hand had gripped our hearts and even our boldest men quailed for a moment, but as the Shadow came, so did a great White light spring up from the north. The hand around our hearts dissipated and we felt a great urge to drive forward, but it was too late. He had fled over the waters and our trap hadn't closed in time. We slew a great many of his foul orcs, but their damage had already been done. Eregion was in ruins and all to the sea was laid waste. Many were in a mind to follow him, but He was already beyond the mountains of mist when the King arrived."

"High King Gil-Galad? You saw and met him?" Ask Orod.

"No, he went north to rescue some of his people still besieged. The Elves did not have the strength to continue this fight. Our King came and he was eager to pursue, but our Captains talked him out of it. We did not know much of the land beyond the coasts and even now we were in strange territory. One would not have even thought Elves had dwelt here after the Dark Lord had his way. So many beautiful sights and lands were totally devastated by him." He did not mention the devastation wrought by their own people upon the forests of that region as well. "Had we not intervened, the Elves would have lost their precious havens and forced to build anew. They would have been stuck in Middle-Earth, like us." Sakalkhôr explained, and though it seemed that he spoke with sorrow, he was in fact mocking the Elves. Where else would anyone want to be other than Middle-Earth?

"I heard that the Elves of the north, on the hither side of the Mountains of Mist, often journey down the Great River, past Pelargir, and into the sea beyond." Elenwë asked, much of this being new to her as well. She never got to participate in the serious discussions that the men had.

"Some do, but since the Dark Lord took the domains beyond the shadowy mountains there for his own, it has become a lot more dangerous." Sakalkhôr replied, but rather than looking at his sister, he was looking at Míriel. Sakalkhôr seemed very nervous about his Sindarian. He was about to add something more until Elanor clapped her hands three times and stood. "Very good Falahîr, very good. It's because of brave men like yourself that the shadow is kept fenced and held back. But shall we adjourn to the dining hall my friends? The day grows late and the sun ever higher, before She sinks at last into the far west. A fresh meal and refreshment would do us some good, before we can revel in the stars and see what the Lady Elbereth has for us tonight." She looked from Sakalkhôr to Míriel and back again, beaming proudly at the two newlyweds. They had yet to say a word to each other, though Sakalkhôr was repeating the oath of marriage he had been forced to recite and remember by his father. Such traditions and customs were important and suddenly he found himself trying to conceive ways of impressing her. Perhaps he should have learned Quenyan properly, for that seemed to impress any number of ladies wherever one went.

"O stars that in the Sunless Year, With shining hand by her were sown, In Windy fields now bright and clear, We see your silver blossom blown." Sakalkhôr suddenly said in Quenyan as everyone rose, drawing a brief round of applause. "Excellent delivery, my boy." Orod said, patting him on the back, quite harshly. "Thank you." Sakalkhôr said with a dip of his head, though his eyes shot to Míriel once more as she walked with her sister and his own.

Back
Top Bottom