Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Post Your PC

Mitsu

Supernova
So, what kind of computer do you game on? Post your specs, a picture, or both!

Sapphire Dual-X Radeon R9 280x 3GB DDR5 OC

AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor

Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard

G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory

NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case

20140608_2036511_zps580e2cb3.jpg

I have an AMD FM3+ board, with a quad core 3.7GHz processor overclocked to 4, with an R7 riding shotgun in the Kaveri APU. 6 gigs of DDR3 memory (mismatched DIMMs, my current weakpoint) and an R9 270x as my main GPU. I can't crossfire my GPUs, which sucks, but when I get more space, I'll be able to use the R7 for secondary screens - Desktop etc. - To make them as close to zero-impact on my main screen gaming as possible.

I'm still not super knowledgeable about computer components. How does the APU (the graphics part) work with the GPU in concert? Does it at all? From what I know, the Kaveri line "can" play most games that are out at 1080p/30fps. That's the whole goal of the Kaveri line. AMD is very interested in making the APU market the norm. So, does the 270x kind of work like crossfire with the R7, or do they handle different tasks? I'm just not sure how it works. I'm kinda gathering that the R7 will be used for a secondary screen, and the 270x for your gaming screen? Is that the gist of it?

Also I just upgraded from the 270x. It's a pretty great card for the cheap price, and can be overclocked nicely.

Yeah, unfortunately the APU R7 can only crossfire with another R7 - Silly me went big with an R9 though. However, I can use the R7's ports for secondary screens (My rig actually supports up to 8 displays right now - 2x VGA, 3x DVI, 2X HDMI, one Displayport). Just run the second screen out of the R7's HDMI and (theoretically) I'll be able to do things like play videos, leave webpages open, etc without impacting the performance of my main screen. Not an ideal solution for all of this extra power I have, but hopefully I'll be able to buy an R9 APU soon and do true crossfire.

As far as the benefits of an APU, there are several, but the only one that interested me was price - The chip, with onboard R7, was $180.

I really had no idea that the on-board graphics and the discrete video card would actually work at the same time. I kind of thought it would be a one or the other sort of thing.

I was going to crossfire my 270x, but I heard that compatibility issues tend to pop up here and there. So, I figured I might as well just upgrade. I plan to eventually just jump to one of the high end cards, but that won't be until my 280x is struggling. From what I'm reading on benchmarks, the 280x, should be able to play just about any game out there on Ultra or above at over 30fps (and very close to 60 in most cases). I might buy quicker ram first, or look into a SSD. I'm currently running two monitors, but I have no clue as to the impact of performance in games.

Hello! I'm new here and saw a subforum named Gamers' Haven and thought I'd drop by, I also saw your post and decided to post if you don't mind.

Quick TL;DR specs;

Power supply: 600W
Motherboard: MSI B75MA-P45
CPU: i5-3470 3.2 GHz
RAM: 8bg
GPU: MSI GTX750ti 2Gb OC (Factory Overclocked)

Monitor: 1 - BenQ GL2450 24" 1920 x 1080 LED Monitor (IT'S HUGE (for me)) 2 - Asus 14" (Don't know model) 1360 x 768
Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow.
Mouse: Logitech Mouse MX.
Headphones: Siberia V2 White.

The Chasi I use for my computer was actually an Acer M5800 which I used for 4 years and when it was time to upgrade I said: Fuck it, not spending money on something I already have. So I recycled the chasi and got an MSI B75MA-P45 Motherboard along with an i5-3470 3.2 GHz and 8gb RAM and a power supply on 600W which was an upgrade on 150 from my old one.

Once again I reused something from my old computer and it was the Graphics card, a Geforce GT220 which I used to play Battlefield 3, Skyrim, World of Tanks and other games. Although as you might guess, the GT220 was at this time 5 years old, and it was slowly dropping in performance. So I began to save money a while ago to buy a new GPU and when I had enough I bought a BenQ 24" Monitor and a Geforce MSI GTX 750ti 2gb OC (Factory Overclocked).

The first thing I thought when I booted up skyrim for the first time and it said it set my settings on Ultra High was: Hot damn, time to get some texture packs!

Here's a picture. ( <-- Press)

Yes, that is a Razer mark on the side of an Acer M5800 Chasi, if you guys want I can show you my desk setup as well.

Back
Top Bottom