Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

PM as a 'conversation' suggstion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melandrey

Planetoid
I've used plenty of forums in the past, not just roleplaying ones, which have an option that lets you display all the private messages from one person as a conversation, sort of like a thread but in reverse. Would it be at all possible to implement something like that here?

Granted I'm fairly clueless when it comes to technology more demanding than turning my coffee machine on in the morning and so as to whether this is realistically feasible for this site, I've no idea. But I'm just asking because at the moment it kind of makes RPing by PM undesirable for some of us who like to read back through our roleplays without having to trawl for hours to find that bit we want, but then that automatically rules out any partners who want privacy and don't like threads for being so publicly open...

So could there be a chance of something like this being put into place or is it just too much of a tech nightmare?

p.s. - Yes I know you can leave the quotes in a message but it hits the character limit before very long and then you're right back to square one. Just figured I'd point out I'd considered that option before someone suggested it.

It's how the new cms works (to the point where the feature is called private conversations).

The actual implementation of pms in MyBB is truly, horrifically bad. : /

Well that's a shame, I might need to see if can find some sort of compromise between actually being able to read all of the things back in a semi-orgasnised manner and actually maintaining privacy. Thanks for the answer.

you could try saving the pms in a word document on your computer, then theyre all in one place if you need to quickly go read up on something. Just use different colors for your reply and your partners.

There are semi-private RP's. They don't show up in search engines and guests can't view them. So that might be an option too.

Personally I've no issue with threads, in fact they're my favorite method. But for a lot of people I think what puts them off is not search engines or unregistered users,it people who are actually registered users of the site just being able to read through something they've written. Now this is may be a terrible idea, I don't know, but...

would it be possible to implement a private thread system? I've been an admin on certain forums before (mostly MMO stuff, and I had nothing to do with the actual running or maintenance of the site, just crowd control) so I know it's possible to have a board / suboforum which only select members have access to. Would something like that for individual pairs of members work or am I talking out of my ass?

Honestly, to make threads that are private between specific pairs would be ridiculously cumbersome. The only way I see doing this is making special groupings EACH time and then making a special forum EACH time with special permissions EACH time.... it would blow up out of control and be tedious as hell to create, mod and then delete. Oh man... It would be a down right mess. PMs is just soooo much easier if you're talking that sort of thing. At least in my opinion.

Mm, yeah I can see how that would be more trouble than it was worth if the mods had to do it each time rather than people being able to do it for themselves. Last (potentially pointless) question before I let the matter drop in that case...

Would it be at all possible to remove the character limit on PMs?

Yep. As for the character limit? It's possible that it could be tweaked with some coding, but I honestly do not know. And, if it's able to be tweaked, I have no idea as to the impact of such a thing. That, unfortunately, isn't my arena. However, it is a good question just in general. *nods*

Now, what if someone paid for their own subforum...? is that something the staff may be amicable towards? If so, I'd very much like to have a discussion about what shape such a deal might take.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom