Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Retro/Old School Gamers??

darkangel76

.:The Vampiric Fae:.
Supporter
Are you out there? I'm one of them in a HUGE way! XD Given my era for gaming and the fact that Nintendo has made it easy to get a fair bunch of old school games on the Wii, Wii U, 3DS, etc. it's been glorious for retro gamers much like myself.

Recently I got myself a Wii U and have just delved back into the glories of gaming that had brought me much joy (not to mention many sleepless nights, haha... but then again, back then you didn't have the same abilities to save like you do now).

Anyway, if you're a retro gamer like me................ what did you play and love, are you playing now? On what? And what game have you gotten into?

~+~+~

To get things started, I got my Wii U not too long ago. I haven't started up on any games I've played in the past just yet, but I have a list of games to get. hehe. Presently, I've started my spree of reto gaming by purchasing/DLing Earthbound (was highly recommended this one since I did miss out on it when it was originally released). It's been AMAZING fun!!!

Some games I plan on getting after I finish up Earthbound are Star Tropics, Zoda's Revenge and LoZ: A Link to the Past. Some games I WISH they had available??? Crystalis! Oh man!!! Now that was a freakin' awesome game! Another couple I wish they had are Soul Blazer and Illusion of Gaia. Such fond memories. XD

I used to/still have:

A Nintendo [the very first one, with Mario & Duck Hunter]
Game Boy [Color & Advance]
N64
Playstation
PS2 [one of the few systems I still have in fact]
XBox 360 [had to sell for additional money unfortunately]
Wii [another we still have]
3DS [Still own also]
Computer [I only include this since I use Steam to play certain games]
Game Cube [Also have this xD]

I can safely say that one of my all-time favorite shooting games was James Bond: Goldeneye for the N64. Sure it was annoying and the graphics - now at least - aren't as good as many other games. But for me, it was awesome back then.

Fighting game wise, the "Tekken" series is hands down my all time favorite and probably will be for the rest of my life. I started playing with the second one at ... 8 or 9 and have played most of the versions.

I didn't really get into RPGs until I met Veinexes, who better introduced me to them with "Shadow Hearts" and "Final Fantasy X".

At the moment, I just recently finished trying out "The Walking Dead" again on Steam, seeing how the game wound up playing out if I made different choices compared to the first time. It was definitely interesting to say the least.

I've been currently playing Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign, The Last Remnant, Vindictus, & Neverwinter -- in about that order.

I'm waiting for whenever the hell Forsaken World gets their damn patch up. With any luck, it'll finally be worth the time, if for no other reason than the new class.

Due to never having acquired it officially, I'm thinking of restarting "Shadow Hearts" so I can obtain the Seraphic Radiance.

That's about it for now on my end.

I'm terribly old school as my hey day was like wayyyyy in the past. lolol. *dates self BIG TIME* I'm of the 80s/90s era. So, I got started on the super old computers that had no memory and used cartridges. Then, I moved onto ATARI... oooh yeah! Arcades were a big thing for me too. XD I was also a big time player on both the NES and SNES. Didn't get too into the handhelds, but I did have the original GameBoy in all its shitty graphics glory. lol. Missed out on the N64 and PS1 because of college (though I did play on my computer a bit as well as on SEGA... hooray for Mortal Kombat) and then jumped straight into the PS2 and later a GC as well. Never even bothered with anything Microsoft based. I've also missed out on the newest generations of consoles that SONY has offered and I've had a Wii, only it died an unfortunate death. Now, I still have my functioning PS2 and GC and a brand new Wii U. My computer gaming days are over because of the sort of comp I use... I'll refrain from discussing that for fear of bashing. However, back when I did game on my PC I played stuff like: the Zork games, Myst, the Tex Murphy games and later on the Baldur's Gate games and Icewind Dale.

My favorites when I look back at my hey day of gaming will always be the fighting and RPG-style games. Those were the ones I honed in on and I loved both turn-base and RTS-style when it came to the RPG type of games. For the fighters, I had undying love for the MK series on SEGA (though I never owned a SEGA, just rented one) as well as the SF2 series (owned SF2 and borrowed/rented the shit out of the other versions of SF2... ie, Alpha, Turbo, etc etc for SNES and played all of those like crazy in the arcades). XD

Ah such wonderful memories. :)

Snaps fingers

Stupid me! We have a Game Cube also xD

I had friends who had the Sega; one of my first best friends was a real fan of the "Sonic" games in fact. He almost always played it every time I went to his house. Even now, I can still hear that damn theme song so easily ^^;;

Vein is much akin to you; I wish he'd get his ass on here and type for himself. Lazy one he is at times =P

But he, supposedly, has an ATARI. I've never seen it for myself but I'll take his word on it given the difference in knowledge of video games and such between the two of us.

I'm glad to not be so sheltered anymore. But I'm embarrassed with how long I was all the same @.@

Well, I don't call myself a gamer, but I'm all for the Retro/older games! :DD
My first game was Galiga on my dads old Midway Coleco, lap arcade machine thingy >w< And ever since my love for retro games as been great. Granted I'm not that old, so I can't love it like some, but oh well~
Hrm, Thief! I really enjoyed the Thief series, even though that's just older, but still, great series. And they just updated it too, so yayyyyyy

Cut my teeth on the Vic 20 and C64! Then moved on to better and better PCs, starting with the Amiga series, adn then getting a proper gakking PC with a hard drive in it!

THese days I still grab my DOSbox games, adn geek out in all the pixelated glory of ancient Dos!

Yes! I am an old-gamer if one would say! I am a gamer myself, and I enjoy pretty much everything from the Playstation 1/2 backwards. My favourite line of consoles has been Sony with their awesome Playstation 1 which I had since I was three until I turned fourteen...or thirteen....well, mostly because my dad fixed it everytime it broke down (mostly because the lens got dirty) and I had an awesome time with that. Oh the memories...Crash Bandicoot, Spyro, Twisted Metal, Vigilante 8...I still play them on the ePSXe emulator...but come on! It's not the same, ya' know?

My first video game system was an Atari 2600 that my dad picked up at a yard sale. Talk about old school! My favorite games were Combat, Pitfall, Bowling, Asteroids, Berzerk, and Maze Craze. I loved playing the games with my parents, and my mom was especially good at Berzerk. We would change the game setting to include a character called Evil Otto, an invincible, silly smiley face that would chase after you. It was hilarious, and deadly. It's amazing what they could do with such an old system. It's in my attic now, and I have a PS2 atari game that includes a lot of old school classics, but I'd like to play with the real system again sometime, even though it would probably be a pain to get working.

My first video game system was an NES, but I have very little memory of playing it. The only games I remember playing on that were Mario, Duck Hunt, and Castlevania. When I got a Super Nintendo, I played the shit out of that. Street Fighter, Mortal Kombat, Mario, Ninja Turtles, Kirby (I played the shit out of Kirby Superstar). As the years went on, I got newer consoles like the N64, then Playstation, a Dreamcast for a short time, the PS2, an original Xbox, a 360, and a Wii. Lately I've been playing a lot less modern games, since a lot of them turn out to be pretty much the same, and I've gone back to playing quite a few old-school games through emulators. I played Shin Megami Tensei, the Castlevanias I missed, and many classic Nintendo games. As for current games I'm playing, most of them are handhelds. Kirby Triple Deluxe on my 3DS, which is surprisingly challenging for a Kirby game. I'm also playing Borderlands 2 on my Vita, which was an entertaining shooter that I've been meaning to get back to. Also, for those of you that played old-school RPGs, I recommend getting Demon Gaze if you have a Vita. It plays a lot like those RPGs from back in the day, with the first-person dungeon crawling, the random encounters, and the difficulty of an old-school RPG (even on easy, the game still kicks my ass many times).

When I saw the name of this thread I couldn't help but click on it. It's rare to find people that are old school gamers. My first gaming system was the NES with Scheherazade and Maniac Mansion being my two favorite games. I even beat up my cousin who is 4 years older than me when I was little over Scheherazade.

Even though I grew up with the NES and SNES, the Playstation has always been my era of games. I can remember playing Tomb Raider 2 and Resident Evil 2 for the first time and thinking how amazing and magical they were. I can honestly say that I enjoy Playstation games over the new generation of games. It just seems that the new generation of games focus too much on graphics and less on story and gameplay.

Anyway, here is a list of all the consoles I own.

~first generation Atari 2600
~second generation Atari 2600
~NES
~SNES
~Nintendo 64
~Gamecube
~Wii
~XBox
~XBox 360
~Sega Genesis
~Sega Saturn
~Sega CD
~Sega Dreamcast
~Playstaion
~PS2
~PS3
~PS4
~Virtual Boy

I think I got all of them. I would mention all of the handhelds but that would make this post even bigger.

Huzzah and hooray for the retro gaming! Seriously, it warms my heart reading these posts. :)

Maniac Mansion! Now there's a game that brings back memories! Lots of memories. I still remember that one theme that used to make me jump every time I heard it whenever that tentacle or the son would show up. XD Great game! *nods* I loved how each character had their own theme and such too and how you could have a different story with each character too. My fave characters to use in that game were Michael (the photographer) and Razor (the punk rocker chick). But I did play the game with each and every character just to say I did it. LOL!

Just yesterday I managed to get my hands into my old (yet fully functional) GBA and I managed to get my copy of Pokem Fire Red version running! I started a new game and I'm so excited that I got it working! Hurray for Retro Videogames!

darkangel76 said:
Huzzah and hooray for the retro gaming! Seriously, it warms my heart reading these posts. :)

Maniac Mansion! Now there's a game that brings back memories! Lots of memories. I still remember that one theme that used to make me jump every time I heard it whenever that tentacle or the son would show up. XD Great game! *nods* I loved how each character had their own theme and such too and how you could have a different story with each character too. My fave characters to use in that game were Michael (the photographer) and Razor (the punk rocker chick). But I did play the game with each and every character just to say I did it. LOL!

OMG, yay, another Maniac Mansion lover. Most of the time when I mention Maniac Mansion people have no idea what i'm talking about. :D

I always played Razor and it was a tossup between Wendy or Bernard for the second person. I thought it was awesome that every character had their own theme. :D I really want to play it now.

I've got a Sega Genesis still hooked up to my TV as we speak. My three favorite games are Radical Rex, Dinosaurs for Hire, and Boogerman. Boogerman is only there because my Pitfall cartridge died on me. :(

My father is a very interesting man. He got through university by buying arcade machines and setting them up in the common rooms of the university he went to, on top of working many jobs on the side. After he got married to my mother, and after he graduated, he had ran an arcade for many years before joining his profession for the rest of his life.

We still have a lot of the old games, an old standing cabinet of centipede, an old standing cabinet of asteroids, a few pinball machines.

My siblings and I ourselves had been game collectors for god knows how long. I only remember growing up with the NES and SNES as far as retro goes, unless you count the n64 and playstation. My favorite NES game was this silly baseball game. I can't remember the name of the game for the life of me, but my brother would always play against me in it, where the players were robots and you could have like side scrolling fights and what not.

My first super nintendo game was Super Metroid, followed by Final Fantasy 6. Those are arguably my two favorite games of all time. This was then followed by Super Earth Defense Force, Secret of Mana, and many more.

As I grew older, I got obsessed with pixel art, to the point I had been hacking into roms to snag unused sprites (A lot of sprite sheets I made are on the spriter's resource under an alt name). Managed to hack my own versions of some roms with changed graphics or parameters.

To this day I still love kicking up old games!

I just had to respond to this. I can smell the nostalgia already. I grew up on the NES as a wee-one. I remember having a Sega Genesis and even trying out the Sega Channel. But my fondest memories are of the SNES. I recall as a youth scrapping my pennies together to afford one. It came with Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past. I remember thinking how f'ing sweet it looked.

I played the hell out of Super Metroid. But Final Fantasy 6 and Chrono Trigger will always be my favorites. While I either sold, lost, or got rid of most old school gaming items, I still held onto FF6 and CT, even the Player's Guide for CT. I just like looking back at them sometimes and recalling some fond memories. Good times.

Hooked up along with my PS3 at this moment I've for the original Xbox, PS2, Dreamcast and my trusty Retron 2 that I am using to work my way through A Link to the Past and Star Tropics and I have a pretty nice library of NES and PSone games.

Just got my Xperia Play back, so I'm about to set up my final, all-in-one, all-encompassing retro device. I need recommendations on good Android emulators for all systems up to the 64 - Game recommendations are unneeded, as I'm planning on using marked SD cards with entire system libraries on them, for that cart-switching feel.

Back
Top Bottom