Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The door into the void.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Openots

Star
The Hive city had always been overcrowded. Aside from the towers where the nobles live, most of the massive city was a slum that was either dominated by street gangs or guardsmen who were corrupt with their position. Yana had lived within the confines of the city her entire life, struggling to survive after most of her family had been shot down in a gunfight between the guardsmen and one of the more prominent street gangs. It had been a fight for survival, avoiding the watch of the guard, or the 'recruiters' for the various gangs. She had to steal just to eat most of the time, and that was what led to her eventual capture.

Inside one of the guardhouses throughout the city, a mustachioed recruit dragged a woman in; his hand gripping her bicep tightly. She was obscenely skinny and dressed in little more than rags, more than likely from malnourishment and poverty. Her long black hair was messy and covered most of her face, though it was barely able to conceal the piercing gray colored eyes. "Oi, look at what I found myself." He grinned pushing her down in front of the desk where his superior was seated. "Caught the little bint trying to steal from a vendor." The man behind the desk looked at the woman for a moment before a rather snide grin crossed his face. "Take her to 'the room'" he jerked his thumb over his shoulder as the recruit grinned; grabbing the woman and yanking her to her feet.

He pulled her towards the cell area as about ten guards began following. "We's gonna have a fun time with you girlie." He chortled before pushing her into a large white room with nothing in it aside from a table. "Ere's the deal, you go willingly and we'll be easy on you. Or we can do this the ard way" During his little speech she had back up against the wall and was curled up into a ball as the guards began walking towards her. It might not have been obvious at first, but small streams of blood were trickling down the wall of the room; in the 'lobby' area of the guardhouse, blood was trickling from the eyes of any statue and picture.

"L-l-l-leave me alone!" She shrieked covering her head. Immediately, all of the guards stopped. Shakingly; their hands inched towards the holsters at their waists before drawing their pistols. One by one, they placed the barrels of the weapons under their chins before pulling the trigger. Bits of brain and skull rained to the floor as the bodies fell. After that, no one had seen the girl leave and yet it was as though she had vanished completely. The only witness to what appeared to be a mass suicide had vanished without a trace. Word traveled up the chain of command quickly. There was a full blown psyker on the loose in the Hive City. After the incident, she hid out the worst of the slums, blending in with the poverty stricken folk naturally, her home being a small hovel next to the filthy whorehouse that so many of the men frequented in the slums, and usually left with a rash or worse.

Khadgar sighed as he listened to the report, arms crossed over his chest. He had his heavy boots resting on the Imperial sergeant's desk. He had only come to this rotting Hive world finish a contract but when he landed the Imperial Guard had 'requisitioned' his services. His bounty hunting skills were well known in this sector and unless he wanted his ship blasted smithereens he knew he'd better accept. He had been on a few on there Imperial recruiting missions. The targets had usually been weak psykers who had no idea how to use their powers but apparently this one was different. Unless 10 guardsmen had decided to have a group suicide, she could apparently control others minds very easily. Weak minds that is. He had been in this business a long time and he had learned a few things along the way. Of course, he couldn't stop a fool blown psyker attack but he definitely wasn't going to cap himself.

As soon as the sergeant was through briefing him he stood up, grabbed his rifle, and strode out of the room, his long trench coat trailing behind him. There was hardly a part of him exposed, including his face which was covered by a grim mask. It wouldn't deflect any lasgun shots, but it did work to intimidate some of his targets, allowing him to bring them in alive which meant a bigger reward. He headed to the slums, the most crowded area in an already overpopulated community. He would need a lead, otherwise it would be like trying to find a marble in an Imperial cruiser.

Yana had managed to stay under the radar when the remaining guardsmen had come looking for her. A quick haircut and different clothing saw to that easily. She still wasn't sure what had happened that night, what with all the guards killing themselves, but it had been extremely convenient since it had allowed her to escape. At the moment she was dressed in a raggy sort of dress and bare feet. She had a small lasgun she had snatched off of one of the guards hidden within the folds of the dress.

Typhe ran up to Khadgar, panting heavily. She was a short woman, little more than 5'4 and dressed in a long red robe. "Khadgar." She wheezed before taking a breath. "You asshole." Another deep breath. "You left me on the fucking ship." She glared up at him. She wasn't much to look at but she was able to speak in many of the secret tongues but what made her truly valuable was her knowledge in forbidden lore. Which of course meant that the Imperium ever got wind of what she knew, the Inquisition would hunt her down.

When Typhe ran up to him he simply stopped, turned to her, sighed and kept walking. His frame was long, but not lanky, with plenty of muscle. He took long strides because of it which made it hard for the short woman to keep up. "Yeah well, I didn't know I was going to be getting job today did I?" He wasn't happy about it, thats for sure, but maybe this would be a challenge after so many easy jobs. "Did you get the details or do you want me to bring you up to speed?"

She pulled down the hood of the robe, revealing shock white hair. "I got the details through the data-slate." She replied motioning to the slate hanging from her belt. "From the sound of it, we have a Nascent Psyker here. Which is a good thing and a bad thing." She replied, running a hand through her hair. "If she was able to control the guards, it means her more powerful abilities probably focus around Telepathy, but that doesn't mean she might not pull from other areas." She recited as though reading from a text-book. "But her talents will only reveal themselves if she becomes stressed, fearful, which I will warn you. For a Nascent, 10 guards is nothing, we could quickly find ourselves fighting an entire city."

"Yeah, well, this city could use a bit of population control." He said as if the thought didn't even cross his mind that they might die. He kept striding, heading toward the large lifts to take them to the lower levels of the city. Even Typhe hadn't seen his face without the mask, which gave him a sort of freedom. He did work for the Imperium, and they didn't ask questions about his identity. Without his mask he was a whole new person. With it he was a feared killer. He carried only a laspistol and a long range sniper rifle, good for taking out a marks legs when they tried to run.

"Yeah, yeah you're the invincible 'bounty hunter'. " She mumbled shaking her head. She was able to manifest very minor Psyker talents, but it wasn't anything special. "Plus, you've never seen an Alpha level Psyker in action have you? We're talking about attracting Deamons, snapping an Imperial Titan like a twig; the fact that she is a Nascent makes it even worse! It means, if she becomes agitated, her powers can escalate beyond Alpha, possibly beyond Alpha Plus. She could decimate the planet if we are not careful!" She hissed, it wasn't hard to make Typhe lose her cool, and her height didn't help the fact.

"Yeah, well I guess I'll have to use my great people skills on her, now won't I?" He said, looking down at her through his steel facade. She was a feisty little thing, always talking as if reading directly from a book. "If she's so dangerous why don't we just kill her? Doesn't seem worth the risk to me. That or drop her on some Ork planet..." They finally reached the lift, hitting the grime-encrusted button on the keypad to get them moving. The big metal carriage moved with creaks and moans as if it would crash down to the bottom of the planet at any moment.

"Do you really want to risk flying over Greenskin territory? Plus, the Imperium wants her alive for some reason." She shrugged as they climbed onto the lift. "But we have no background on the girl other than the fact she was caught stealing and that she was able to control ten guards at once and force them to perform life threatening actions. Black hair, gray eyes." She listed off the noteworthy fact of the girl's appearance, ignoring the fact that the lift felt as though it were going to fall to pieces.

Eventually the lift ground to a halt in the filthy slum. "Jeez, well imagine what this would be like if the Imperium handled this as per-regulation. There would be Space Marines flooding the area, shooting anyone who looked at them wrong."

"Yeah, well then we wouldn't have to be in this shithole at least." He strolled through the shanty slums as if he owned the place. Luckily he didn't but it was his presence that kept the rifraff from messing with them. "Gray eyes, huh? Well I guess we can ask everyone to line up and check give them an exam." He was looking around for a meeting place, somewhere he could get information. Then he spotted it. A little hole in the wall, somewhere he knew someone would talk for a price. "Lets go." He strode in to the bar taking a seat with Typhe so he could survey the crowd.

She shook her head. Of course he didn't realize that the space marines would likely put a bullet in her head because of what she knew, and what she could do. "And let me guess, you're going to give me the honor of conducting these 'exams'?" She asked sarcastically as she sat down next to him.

Yana walked up to their spot, her hair now cropped close to her head. "Good evening. Can I help you all with anything?" She asked the odd looking pair curiously. Sh had managed to put the entire event out of her head and get back to life. All she could hope for now is that they wouldn't send anyone after her.

He looked over their 'waitress', immediately recognizing the gray eyes. She didn't have long hair, but anyone with a sharp rock could change that. He gave Typhe a look as if to say 'just our luck'. He cleared his throat before speaking. "Yes, yes I think you can. Care to take a seat?" He stared at her through his mask, unblinking if only on the outside.

"I'm afraid I'm not allowed to do that sir." She gave him an apologetic smile before looking at her pad again. "But if there is anything you need please do not hesitate to ask." And with a curt nod she walked off to help the other patrons.

"It's likely she doesn't even know she is Nascent, or that she even has Nascent talents." Typhe replied shaking her head. "But, I might be able to do a little better." The only talent Typhe was able to manifest was mentally 'pushing' a person. (Basically jedi-mind trick.) She hopped off the bar stool before walking over to the woman. Briefly, she paused and concentrated before standing on her tip-toes and whispering into her ear. Almost immediately, Yana froze before slowly turning and walking outside which Typhe motioned for her team-mate to follow. One they were outside, she jabbed a small syringe into Yana's leg before depositing the contents into her.

"Well, this should keep her asleep while we take her to the guards." She muttered as Yana collapsed to the ground.

He watched Typhe work, impressed at her taking the lead. "Well, that was easy." He said as he stood over Yana's body, prodding her with his boot. "You sure that's going to keep her out? I'd rather not be around when she wakes up." He reached down and picked up the small girl, throwing her over his shoulder. No one would ask any questions, not down here. A thug carrying a corpse, or what looked like one, was probably a common sight. Some hired gun dumping a body where no one would care, or care enough to look.

He began to head back to the lift they had come down on but when they reached the spot it was gone, apparently taken back up to the surface. He pressed the call button a few times, but the keypad only sparked and fizzed. "Great....I don't suppose you have any ideas about this, too?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom