Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Dubs Or Subs?

I don't always have time to just sit down and watch anime, I'm a multi tasker. That is the main reason why I prefer dubbed.

I am extremely visual and have a hard time with audio processing, so I watch everything with Subtitles, even with it is in English. I starting preferring dubs last year when I was trying to get my kid into the Sailor Moon remake, but, being a preschooler and unable to read, she obviously couldn't follow the show.

I find that it all depends on the source material. For instance, I can't stand Japanese Goku in Dragon Ball Z, but I love the Engrish in Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. Bad dubs can even make the anime more entertaining, like ever hentai :p

I vastly prefer subs, only because I prefer listening to something in its original language. But dubs are good too, as long as the voice acting isn't completely horrible ~ :3

I have to side with subs, at least until I can watch it raw... which I doubt will be anytime soon.

Commonly I find dubbing just never quite captures the emotion that the original language can bring, be it arousal, frustration, anger, sadness etc

I love listening to japanese inflection. And I love reading, so I almost always perfer subs. Miyazaki movies are my only exception

For me if it's a quick action series I prefer dub

However if it's story heavy I prefer subbed as I feel it sometimes comes out better.
Another reason why I enjoy subs a bit more than dubs is because I watch a lot of movies and a lot of words start taking on double meanings for me, however when reading I don't get as much since =_= I don't read as much as I watch

In the few anime that I've watched over the years, I have come to find I CANNOT stand dubs. The only exception would be DBZ. I suppose that's because I grew up with the English voice actors. But typically I find that for some reason, English voice actors simply DON'T fit the characters they are trying to. Especially in 'slice of life' anime or where over the top anime freak outs happen, English voices just don't fit the wonkiness or reach the pitches/tones that are required to pull it off.

I don't find reading to be very detrimental either. I'm a fast reader so it's not like I'm missing the action by having to read.

For me, it really depends. I prefer dubs on InuYasha, Naruto, Yu Yu Hakusho, and DBZ, but I prefer subs on Death Note

It depends on how I feel about the voice actors.

I kinda lean both ways on this one.

Some dubs are so terrible it makes you wonder why they bothered wasting the budget and just subbed. Then there are some that are above and beyond the call of voice acting duty.

AND SOMETIMES IT'S SO BAD IT BECOMES LEGEND

Mitsu said:
If the English dub has good voice acting, then I'll watch it. If the English dub is horrible, then I'll watch the subbed version. If both are terrible, then I just pick the one I can tolerate more. I actually find a lot of Japanese, high-pitched female voices to be intolerable. They're whiny, screeching, and in no way "moe". If I wanted to listen to cats having sex, I'd open my window at night. That being said, it's hard to deny that sometimes the Japanese performance is much better than the English performance; some English dubs are just horrific in quality.

100%!

I mostly watch subbed anime because I don't like waiting and I like the original voices, but that doesn't mean that I haven't enjoyed and still enjoy lots of dubbed content, both in English and Spanish, so to each their own.

Due to getting motion sickness easily when watching content with subtitles, and being dyslexic, I tend to lean towards dubs to avoid problems.

However, even if I don't usually watch subs due to getting mildly sick from it, there are things I'll watch subbed. If the dub voices are annoying or if there isn't a dub for example. I also will occasionally watch a series as it comes out, so my only option in that situation is subs.

Back
Top Bottom