A Ronin's Path (LadyYuna & Silverknight's 1x1)

LadyYunaFFX2

Pulsar
Aiko

The Meiji era was beginning to rise just like the sun was on a warm March day. The seventh to be exact, at least from the last time a certain young maiden had checked up on that. Time was difficult to keep track of, more so when one moved from place to place in such a nomadic-like fashion. But it was something Aiko couldn't exactly help. She needed to go from place to place, for one. Two, there was nothing left for her back in Kyoto, Japan, where she was born and raised. Not counting bad memories and flashbacks anyways. Perhaps the better wording was nothing significant.

That plus her obtaining her goal and finally becoming a free woman all but encouraged Aiko to take up the lifestyle of a ronin. Just the name alone typically caused her to get an array of stares, many of which tried to suggest she should be ashamed of being a ronin. And to some degrees, she agreed. But not nearly enough to turn back around and go back to what she used to be which, in a word, was a slave.

Even to this day, Aiko couldn't remember very well how she wound up away from her biological family and into the rich one that had raised her. They insisted they had bought her. But something about the story felt ... wrong. Even if she didn't recall her parents, Aiko's instincts tried to insist she would never have been brought into this world by people who would dare allow such a thing to happen to their child. Maybe she just hoped for it. Regardless, Aiko never easily believed such a thing.

From the ages of five to fifteen, she was raised as a servant to the Kirigawa family. During her stay, however, she managed to sneak peeks among the men and watched them use their swords and blades. It wasn't as very well disciplined as them, but within time, she self-taught herself how to use a sword on her own.

The wars began a few months after she turned fifteen. And the arrival had been much like her own swords; a double-edged blade. It wound up being the perfect distraction she needed to escape. And yet .. it introduced her to so much violence, most of which was done unnecessarily. The sights saddened her. But what was definitely worse were the lives she had been forced to take. It was all done in self-defense at least; a miracle which Aiko was definitely glad for. It meant she didn't have to sink as low as all those who murdered for nothing but bloodshed and other selfish desires.

Now, however, the currently twenty-one year old Aiko found herself at a bit of a loss. While she was glad for the recent end of the wars, she felt uncertain of what to do with her life. Many strangers - those that talked to her in a civil fashion - suggested settling down and having a family. As nice as the idea did sound, she feared taking it up. While Aiko did believe in her abilities to be a lover and mom, she didn't want her past to be traced and thus force anyone to be in any unnecessary danger due to her background. It wouldn't be right nor fair.

So Aiko often used another term besides 'ronin' to best describe herself; a mercenary. If people within any of the cities of Japan needed any form of assistance, she would be there long enough to help then leave. Not enough citizens welcomed ronins and even fewer seemed keen on her coming in with blades attached at her sides. While she had two wakazashis, Aiko tended to only use one in battles. The second was more for a precaution of sorts, in case her primary weapon ever broke or needed repairs.

Hazel eyes gazed around as she saw another city in the distance, causing a soft sigh of relief to pass her lips. "Good. You needed a place to halt at ... " She murmured softly, wrapping her arms around her stomach. Aside from the clothes on her back, she had a bit of money that she'd earned from her services back in the wars and, of course, her swords. Otherwise, Aiko didn't have much in terms of material possessions.

Then again, she didn't tend to need much for herself ever before. Usually, Aiko's swords were more than enough to help her live and survive. Then again, that was all a swordswoman needed; or so she'd assumed.

Masanori looked over at a young dark haired young man, as he laid on a bed, the young man was his mentor, his teacher, he was the one who had trained him in the arts of the sword, and helped him to become as good as anyone alive. His mentor was only a few years older then him, but they learned together, advanced together, himself learning one step behind the dark haired man laying on the bed. Or they had when they were both alive, strong fighting the future, fighting the impossible future that was coming. Now his mentor was dead not from battle, no, none would be strong enough to defeat him in battle, he died of illness far to young.

So much death, so much destruction, the world was ending around them, centuries of peace were at a end. The way that stretch back as far as he knew was going to end soon, the future was an enemy that even the most brave couldn't defeat, and time was a unbeatable foe for all. He got up and looked around the small room, the fight wasn't over, he would continue, he would fight till the end and then slip away into silence. The fight he knew would be the last great battle of the times, the last battle of the samurai.

Suddenly Masanori was in a different place and in a different time. He wasn't in Kyoto or in Edo, or even in Enzo, he was at his home, the one he grew up at before he changed his name and went off to fight against the world. Masanori looked around, he had gone by a false Alias as Daiki during the war, he had done a good job of faking his identity to get in the army. It was so good that he was able to hide in his real identity very easy again. He worked in a small but growing town.

He owned his old family dojo, where he first learned swordsmanship, before he took up learning from Okita to advance that knowledge to make himself great. He was sure that this was the only thing he could do from this moment on. He would teach those the old ways, keep the traditions alive as best as he could. He wasn't a samurai anymore he had no master to follow anymore, he was alone in the world for the most part. He walked to the gate, and opened it, the small school still taught his old swordstyle, no one knew Okita's style which was mixed in with his own.

As he looked outside of the gate, he saw a young woman, he knew nothing about the woman, but something about her struck him as he stood there quietly. He watched her walk to town, he had no clue who she was, but she had a face that seemed to tell him so much. He could read from the look on her face that she had seen much in her life, more then the common person. He smiled a tiny bit as he waved to her as she got closer to where he happened to be located at.

"Now, good morning," he announced confidently, "you hungry, I am sure you have been walking a good while, and I do believe that I happen to have made to much breakfast, you can join me for some if you wish," he said politely as he looked at her, he figured asking the young woman was worth a try, she was beautiful, and there was something about that look in her eyes too.

Aiko

In between steps, Aiko had gotten lost in her own thoughts. An amused smirk crossed her face as the first thing her mind seemed to point out was the irony in her name. Aiko was supposed to be Japanese for 'little loved one'. And yet for most of her life thus far, she had been treated as anything but that. Her gaze shifted to her hands which, upon close examination, made it obvious that she used to be an incredibly skilled swordswoman. And that thus made the next train of thought enter her head as it tilted slightly.

Used to be? You haven't exactly given that occupation up, you know?

Another half-true and half-false statement. Killing was only done on an as-needed basis as was fighting. But in the end, her memories were correct. Even if she didn't resort to such tactics as much as she used to, it did mean she was still a swordswoman. To many people, it wouldn't matter how often or seldom the blades were used. If they ever came unsheathed ... that was it. It put that label upon her, the one known as a 'swordswoman'. Simultaneously, the ones known as 'ronin' and 'wanderer' were also displayed proudly upon her kimono. Not quite literally, mind you. But some days, it may as well have been. She definitely had more than enough room to place any of the symbols for such words upon the back of the silk cloth. And there had been a few times she had seriously contemplated wearing such things.

But before she could ponder on those thoughts anymore, a new voice got her attention. For a few moments, she stayed silent, merely listening to the words. Before Aiko replied, she wanted to try to hear if the words were sincere or not. She'd gotten fooled many times before in the past, promised to be given meals for supposedly nothing. But often times, they were concealed with ulterior motives, typically the desire for her body. And when such occurrences had risen up, that was one of the few times Aiko would easily pull her blade out and use it in self-defense. If any man were foolish enough to make any attempts after the fair warning she gave them ... well ... it couldn't be helped, now could it?

The green eyes across from her definitely showed an array of emotions and reactions. However, when she failed to find anything that would be a concern or worry, Aiko finally gave a nod.

"Famished." She finally replied, confirming his guess had been correct. The slightest hint of a smile crossed her face as she headed inside, accepting the offer and invitation. "That'd be very generous. Thank you."

As her sandals made contact with the floor, she slipped them off. Her swords, however, would remain firmly secure by her sides. Her wrists went behind her back as she patiently waited for the male to lead her to the dining room. After all, this was his place. With her luck, she'd end up in any other room but the correct one. Besides, he should be the person to show her around, not herself. It was rude and anyone with a bit of common courtesy knew that much.

Masanori noticed that he got the eye of the woman who was walking. He could tell that the woman was a ronin, or a former spy or mercenary at least. She had that look about her, it looked like a woman who was dangerous. He knew that look very well, most of the time that look wasn't from a woman, most of the time it happened to be from a male who was his foe many years ago. Masanori smiled when she took him up on the offer, he wasn't sure if she would take up on it or just walk on by, figuring both were possible.

"You are most welcome, ma'am," Masanori commented with a friendly light tone to his voice as he motioned her to follow him. Once past the gate she would see the small house where the supplies were kept, she would of course notice the gardens as well one which went around a small pound filled with traditional plants, and a rock garden just on the opposite side, both taken care of rather well. It was something he took pride in working on when he had time to work on them, along with teaching.

Walking in the front door, he slide off his sandals as well. "I must say, it is not a problem at all, it is always good to welcome someone into my home for a meal, especially someone who has been traveling for a while," he said figuring that she had to had been traveling. He figured the swords meant she most likely had found some work or something fighting still or at least had to protect herself still.

He led her down a small hallway, their were a few rooms on the right side and a large dojo where his practices where held on the left. Two wooden swords were inside of it with all the markings around if she were to look that would tell her that he taught at the said dojo. He walked into the dinning room and motioned her to sit down, "I shall return in a moment with dinner," he said with the same kind tone, before he left quickly and returned moments later with two bowls of a turnip and bean stew. "I know it isn't the best looking thing in the world, but it is cheap and it is filling," he said as he handed over a bowl to Aiko. "I am Masanori, it is a pleasure to meet you."

Despite her being in the war for only five or six years, she had earned her own nickname during that time much like the infamous 'Battousai' she had heard so much of. Having run into him, however, was another story. Those who had faced her knew Aiko better as the Niken Okami, or two swords mistress. Even though she usually only used one - poor ignorant idiots - it was rare to see a woman on the battlefield, let alone one who had the ability to use two at the same time. As much as Aiko disliked the stereotype and lack of women having helped out in the war, she expected to see few females around. After all, most were raised up to be the more ... typical woman. She was anything but that.

During the guide, Aiko did indeed take note of the rooms and where they all were. What got her attention the most, however, was the dojo where the wooden swords remained. An eyebrow raised slightly as she gazed upon the weapons. Once again, Aiko found her mind wondering; was this man also a swordsman? But then ... why was he in charge of a place like this?

Well, the war did end so ....

She nodded to herself, figuring it to be something along the lines of him giving up the lifestyle in order to live the one he truly desired. Many had, after all, done such a process.

The smell of the soup drifting towards her nose finally snapped Aiko out of her thoughts. The slightest hint of a smile was seen crossing her face as she shook her head gently. "With having been walking for the past few days, I'm not going to start complaining. Thank you. Itadekimasu." Bowing her head politely, she began to slowly sip the soup. Aiko hesitated, uncertain if she should reveal her name. It tended to lure trouble whenever she said it, especially around those who had been in the recent chaotic war. But .. this man had allowed her to eat in his home. She figured if nothing else, she owed him that reply.

"Aiko." She replied, mentally preparing for the worst and simultaneously noting Masanori's name. "A pleasure to meet you also."

"Aiko, well, you are most welcome to enjoy this simple dish, cost cutting is important, plus I can't stand that western stuff they sell in the markets," he mused as he disliked the western things which were taking over the land slowly but surely. He had battled against the influence of the west for so long, and hated the fact it went against the tradition and the peace that the Tokagawa represented for hundreds of years. He let out a sigh as he calmed his thoughts quickly.

As he ate the stew he remained quiet, he figured he might of heard of Aiko, but that was the past, something that he had a long one of as well. He didn't want to bring up the past as it might give away himself as well. He had his own nickname from those days Kyoto no Tora. It wasn't something he said out loud in years, but it was their for those who knew his fake identity, which none that he knew did know it. He remained calm as he ate something that was also natural a patience and quietness to the male.

"I am guessing that you have been without a decent place to stay as well," he mused as he looked over at Aiko for a moment. "You are most welcome to stay here, I have a extra room, it would not be a bit of trouble as the place is for students who need to work on things one on one or back in the day as a room for the treatment of injured students as well. Well back when their were far more student then their are now," he mused as he looked to the door way before returning to the food and eating it quietly, before pausing. "So, I do have one last question if you do not mind me asking, do you know how long you are going to be in town before you wonder on?"

The man's eyes practically spelled out that he had gone into his own train of thought. Something was definitely on his mind. Yet, she didn't ask. It wasn't her affairs and if he wanted to bring up what was bothering him, Aiko trusted Masanori to do that much. Otherwise, it didn't feel like it was Aiko's business to pry into. Her gaze lowered as she focused on the food. Taking a spoonful of the soup, she raised it in front of her lips, blew across it, then sipped it. Her eyes closed as she savored the taste. It had been way too long and while she had the chance to enjoy a decent meal, Aiko would do so.

Her head nodded as she slowly opened her hazel eyes, making contact with Masanori. "It has, yes." She then found herself unable to help but blink. Was this man psychic? Part of her had offered to help out in exchange to be able to reside here for a few more days, a week at most. But he had seemed to beat her to that question. "That ... would be very much appreciated. I need to figure out a more definite location on where to head towards next anyway."

All Aiko definitely knew was Kyoto was out of the question. Unless she absolutely had to, she'd never go back there. Not in any of the nine layers of Hell. And if she was truly needed there .. someone better pay her a hell of a lot for Aiko to even consider that.

She mentally shoved the flashbacks that began trying to taunt her away as Masanori inquired on how long she'd stay here. Her fingers lightly danced along the spoon, tapping it every now and again before her head moved from side to side. "I'm not certain. That will be another thing I will need to think about. I was originally going to leave after the meal. But given the recent offer ... probably a few days to a week. I don't usually remain for long nor am wanted. It all depends."

.. Was that too much? Shit.

Well .. too late to take the words back. Her hand waved, as if silently suggesting for Masanori to forget about the last few sentences before she resumed eating her soup.

Masanori nodded his head and gave the young woman a sort of smile as the cyan haired man picked up the bowls to take and wash off. "It is no problem at all. I figured you might want to stay, you look like a person who travels a lot and normally when a person travels a lot they don't get to pick where they wish to stay and rest their heads," he mused logically from experience to some degree as well. He figured that the young woman was a wonderer who had no choose on where to stay given that she gave the appearance of a independent woman.

"Well, you are welcome as long as you wish to stay, I am not one to run people out, and I find helping people a good way to earn some good karma too," he commented to hear her as he carried the bowls out to the back and took a tiny bit of water and washed them both before carrying them into the kitchen and putting them where they would go so that he would be able to find them rather quickly when he would need them next. "I will have students come to practice in a couple of days but tomorrow I shall not, so you can have the run of the place or head into town and take care of whatever business you want."

"Now if you wish, I shall show you around my home," he said as he motioned her to follow, he showed her where the rooms where, where the storage was, the outhouse as well and the bath. He also lastly took her to the room she would use, and put out a sleeping mat for her to use and made sure it was a good one before he looked at her, "I hope this will work for you, I have some choirs to do, I am going to be doing some light repairs on my home," he said honestly before he went to do some sanding on the front porch, making sure that their was no wear form recent rainstorms.

Regardless of whether her words had been a close giveaway she was infamous - at least according to the correct people - or not, it didn't seem to matter. Or if he had caught on, Masanori didn't care enough to bring it up. All the same, an inward sigh of relief echoed in her head. It was nice to hear she didn't seem like a burden for once. Were this any other person, it would have been very likely that they would have demanded for Aiko to leave. "Heh, interesting. Karma is something many seem to have forgotten." She added, nodding to herself as she set the empty bowl down after a few minutes. "Do you teach them sword fighting by chance? Or is that prying too much?"

As Masanori got up to his feet, she followed suit. Aiko then leaned back and stretched her body out, causing a few cracks to echo in the room. They especially were the loudest around her spine and knuckles. A quiet nod would be seen and once her new host began to guide her around, she followed him through his place of residence. Aiko took note of where every room was, especially the bath. That was definitely something she hadn't had in far too long and would gladly use. "It does. Thank you."

After giving Masanori a polite bow of her head, she went back to the bath. After doing a brief double check to ensure she was alone, Aiko placed her swords down. Before she got too far, however, she grabbed a towel and placed it near the edge. No sense in doing something so foolish and embarrassing like forgetting such a vital item and thus having to walk around nude.

Next, the kimono left Aiko's body, then panties and finally, bandages which had been wrapped around her chest. A low sigh of relief left as her body finally got to feel air get exposed to it. She remained standing for a few moments before submerging herself into the warm water, leaving only her neck and head able to be seen. Her eyes closed as she leaned back, enjoying the hot liquid caressing and coating her sore body. All the walking with little to no rest had taken quite a toll upon her. She'd never complained about it to anyone, though, simply because there was no point in doing so.

While this was a bit of a risky thing for her to do, Aiko had enough faith in Masanori that he wouldn't try anything stupid. On the off chance she was wrong, however, she could defend herself damn well. But from what she'd been able to sense and tell, there was no sensation of anything akin to ill will being detected from Masanori. Still, she'd keep her guard somewhat up ... just in case. It seemed like another time for her to be more safe than sorry.

"Yes, this dojo belonged to my family for 10 generations, back to the very old days of the start of the last age," he said with a sense of pride in his tone. "I was away and couldn't run it for a while, stuck out of the area, then I came back and have been running now. I find it a good way to keep the past traditions alive for people," he mused to her explaining a bit of the history of the place and his reasoning for being the person who was in charge of the place as well.

She was correct there was no ill will towards Aiko from Masanori at all, the cyan haired man wasn't one to worry, nor did he really worry about her past so much. That wasn't to say that he wasn't curious about her past and wondering who she was. He figured based on how she walked that she was skilled on her feet and deadly, that was easy to pick out though honestly. He walked into his dojo and took a rag and started to wash the floors. He went over them carefully making sure they were as clean as they could possibly be, and shinny as possible too, they would have time then to sit but if his new guest wanted to use the room she could now.

He went in and looked at a few old books with some random notes about various people, he looked up the sections for women, and looked at the distributions about them. It didn't take that long for him to find her, or at least who he was pretty sure was her, actually, there were to possibilities one was on each side of the fight. He figured he would figure out which of them two was her before she left and if not it wasn't like it mattered ultimately, it was who you were now that mattered really.

As Aiko stayed in the bath, her body stayed still and allowed itself to soak in the soothing water. It hadn't dawned on her just how much this had been needed until multiple but gentle moans passed from her lips. Goddamn this felt amazing. It was tempting to stay in the bath. But .. she couldn't just do that. A night of decent sleep, without any fears of being chased down or anything of the like, would come next. Moreover, Aiko would eagerly welcome them all with open arms. While the bed hadn't been the fanciest, it looked by far better than the past several ones she'd slept in. Aiko decided to compromise with herself. For tonight, she'd get her hygienic routines out of the way. Before she left, however, the swordmistress would allow herself to indulge in the bath.

Nodding to herself upon deciding the new plan, Aiko slipped out of the water, shivering slightly. Her hands instantly reached and grabbed the towel, working on drying herself off. The bandages went back around her breasts followed by the panties and then the kimono. After taking a few deep inhales, the scent of something else being clean caught her nose. When she was sure her feet were completely dry, Aiko walked out - though not before taking her swords with her - after hanging the towel up and headed to the room she had been given consent to use.

"Thank you." She called again before lying upon the sleeping bag. The blades were placed beside her, easily within reach. One of these days, maybe she could sleep without them. But as of late, there had been many hints and cues which said otherwise. And because of those, she would keep them nearby. Mere moments after her hazel eyes closed did Aiko fall asleep. The combination of a fresh bath, food, and bed had all seemed to do their job in relaxing the ronin.

The following morning was a nice morning, the sun came up at the normal early time, it was not warm nor was it cold. Everything was just nice, a soft breeze blew though the air as Aiko would wake up, she would find that most likely Masanori had woken up before the sun rose, and was up and about, working outside on a small garden. He was growing a small field of rice, it was a save way to make sure he grew it properly and in the traditional style with enough for just his self. He took pride in his work, that could be seen easily as he checked on the crop that was growing at that moment.

He finished not that long after the sun rose in the sky, it was a warm morning, as he came in, if Aiko woke up later, then she would find him working in the kitchen making some rice balls for breakfast, he prepared two one for himself and one for Aiko. He also prepared warm green tea for himself as he ate and drank the tea in quiet, sitting outside enjoying the warm, quiet and comfort of being outside. He had a rather uneventful day ahead. Not that most days were eventful, but this one had nothing really going on that was of any importance at all for himself.

He ate quietly as he sat with his feet hanging off the edge of the porch and swing just a bit over the ground. He was wearing a simple blue kimono this day with white pants, it was something one would expect from a common worker and farmer. He was that now, a teacher, farmer nothing else. He kept his sword close, it was something he depended on no longer, but it was still part of him. It wasn't given to him by his family, but by his captain, while he was at war and held many memories both painful and glorious.

For a bit, Aiko stared down quietly at herself after waking up. Her eyes remained on the kimono adorning her body. She'd gotten many looks, some of lust and some of curiosity. She'd thought on the latter herself. It did seem a bit weird for a ronin to be wandering from place to place in such a fancy outfit. But that had been part of the reason she chose it. No one would expect her to be a swordsmistress, let alone who had served in Kyoto. It always threw people off and made them assume she was an aristocrat, eye candy, or both. Even with the Meiji era beginning to emerge, part of Aiko considered getting a more traditional type of outfit. It was foolish, she knew. But if for nothing else, she wanted to be able to move more freely. The kimono didn't allow for many opportunities. Aiko had never minded this before simply because she was fast on her feet and as a thinker.

Her head shook as she sighed softly. "Think on it ... " She murmured to herself, getting up from the sleeping bag and following the scent to the kitchen. As she found the spare riceball for herself, Aiko took it and joined Masanori outside. Sitting beside him, she then noted how he held the blade. She studied him for a few moments before finally speaking up. "Morning. Forgive me if this is personal .. but you were in Kyoto five to six years ago, weren't you? Your grip upon the sheath of the blade at least suggests that much."

It wasn't until she found herself gazing at his sword that Aiko realized her own were still in the bedroom. Ah well. She could afford to leave them there for now. Truth be told, she was trying to avoid having them with her all the time in hopes that the Meiji era would be better somehow. Maybe it could give her a sense of hope that she'd never have to pull out either of her own swords. The practice did still make her uneasy and vulnerable without a weapon, however. But with any luck, things would change for the better.

Her head quickly turned after realizing she had caught herself staring and gazed instead towards the sun. No matter what city she'd walked through, the view of the sun setting and rising had always been one of her favorite things to look at. Even now, the slightest hint of a smile was showing on her face as her hazel orbs watched the bright yellow one emerge from behind the clouds.

The sound of the door opening got his attention rather quickly as he turned his head and looked in the direction that Aiko was walking out. He couldn't help but notice the traditional clothes that were on the young woman. He smiled as he let her sit down next to him. He liked the fact she had such a traditional style of clothes on, it fit her right and he had to say she looked very good in it as well. He put the sword of his down by his side, not knowing that she had seen it in his hand, he had looked at it from time to time to remember back to old times, his dreams a couple of days before were still in his mind.

"Yes," he said figuring there was no point of hiding the fact from the woman, if she could tell that he was a swordsman from just seeing him hold the sword, then she was a wise woman and she would figure everything out sooner rather then later. He figured that if that was the case, and he sure it was, then it was best to be up front and open with the young woman who was staying at his home as no doing so wouldn't be any advantage and if she knew the story she would be less likely to share it with anyone else.

"I spend years in Kyoto, as well as elsewhere in the war, many places many battles, from Kyoto to the last battles of the samurai, I was in all of them almost," he mused as he held the sword a bit tightly in his hands as if by hold it he could connect to that past. "I was known by a fake name back then Daiki, I was a vice captain of the Shinsengumi during the whole time. I worked under Okita Soji who helped improve my swordsmanship and then later others. I slipped away after the war, and changed my name back to what is now," he said looking over at the woman, "As such, I would prefer if you kept this between just you and I."

Even if the clothes fit her gender, they didn't so much with Aiko's job. Until she could safely put her blades away and know they would never be used, she still thought of herself as a swordswoman. Hopefully, however, it could be a more peaceful one as opposed to the same individual many had heard of and known from the days of Kyoto. If she could a protector as opposed to a murderer, that would be more than acceptable for Aiko. If she had to kill, it'd be used as a very last resort. She nodded to herself, having found a reasonable plan to go through with.

As Masanori began to talk, Aiko focused solely on his words. It was amazing to hear not only had she found a swordsman who had also been in Kyoto but a vice-captain of the Shinsengumi. If this was true, he had to be strong; probably more so than herself. It would all depend. Her lack of keeping to any specific style of fighting did make her hard to predict. That was definitely one reason she was still alive and breathing now. Every time someone would look to see what stance she would get in, how she'd hold her sword, they wouldn't find any of the traditional methods being used. Just a freelance style that was solely hers and hers alone. It was the most deadly factor about Aiko, or it had been from the wars.

She gave him a nod, waiting to finish swallowing before speaking. "I see. I will keep that to myself and, to return the favor, I'll let you know exactly who I am. Besides, it only seems a bit fair to have all the details on your guests. Before that, though, you have my condolences on the loss of Okita-san. He was a good man from what I heard. As for myself .. my name is indeed Aiko. Back then, however, I was known by the nickname Niken Okami; Two Swords Mistress Aiko. Moreover, my nickname is, admittedly, part of the reason I'm a ronin even now. I'm sure you've heard of those few stubborn individuals who refuse to accept the Meiji era, including some select assassins and bounty hunters. Needless to say, I'm one of the people still being sought out, along with - for example - the Battousai."

Her voice remained calm despite confessing she was in a rather desperate situation. "I must admit though, I'm a bit jealous. You had proper instruction on how to use a sword. I didn't even have that privilege. And yet, in its own odd way, my style is one of the few things that has kept me alive. Furthermore ... the Shinsengumi have quite the reputation. I heard from about two or three towns ago that some of the other members are still alive and active; though which exact ones and where they are I don't know."

Aiko purposely let the information regarding the Shinsengumi slip for two reasons. One, it seemed right given they were both exchanging information. Two, it was a test of sorts to see how he would react to this. Would the news make him happy or not so much? She was curious if his mindset truly was this peace-loving man she was seeing or, if deep down, he was hoping for some form of chaos to begin once again. He didn't appear or even feel like the latter applied. But it was Aiko's way of making sure of that.

He looked at her with a raised eyebrow as he heard the last comment, but for the most part Masanori just nodded his head, as he showed that he was in fact listening to Aiko and her conversation. He figured that her words were true, and that it fit together rather well. He waited for her to finish before he said a single word in reply wanting to take in everything before replying to anything that she had told him. In fact even after she finished he remained quiet for a long moment or two.

"I see, I have heard rumors about someone like that before, no name or anything just rumors," he mentioned as he looked at her calmly for a long moment without saying anything else. "I am glad that they are alive, I know some that got though the last battle, and I know many stuck away during the chaos. I hope they have found peace and have been able to start a new life with a new purpose to carry them each and every single day," he said calmly. "I hate tradition, I hate that our identity is changing, but I would never wish for those old days again, they were bad, no child or mother should have to endure so much lose," he reasoned to her as he sat there."I have seen enough battles to last me a few lifetimes as well, each time one draws their blade it dulls it, I think it also dulls your soul a bit as well."

He sat there quiet after his statements before looking out at the yard, "you may stay as long as you like, there is no rush to push you out or anything, but if you also wish to leave soon, you can leave as soon as you would like," he informed her calmly as he got to his feet, "anyhow, I must do some cleaning around here to day, a nice house is never easy and always important," he said with a small half smile before walking past her to gather what he would need to sweep and dust the house.

Aiko gripped her lower lip as he admitted his reaction to the rumors. She didn't have it in her to reveal the last part of the rumors, that they had done anything but find peace supposedly. This would probably be something he would have to find find out on his own. No. It was more like something he should discover by himself. It was just how all forms of conflict, be it war or something tamer, worked. What had really gotten Aiko's attention were some of the last words. In fact, she pondered deeply on them, finding that there was definitely some sort of meaning behind them.

"Each time one draws their blade, it dulls it. I think it also dulls your soul a bit as well."

Was this also a contribution to why she was the wandering ronin? Perhaps. She hadn't exactly 'lost' anything during the war. In it's own way, it'd been more of a blessing for her. It allowed Aiko to become free from the family that had raised her; if one could dare use a word like 'raise'. And despite having had to commit numerous acts of murder or self-defense, none had really bothered her. Aiko had convinced herself it was just because the acts were justified. But was that it? Or was there more than she realized?

"That's an interesting way to view it." she finally replied, nodding after a bit. "I never thought about it that way. I need to consider this more thoroughly." After giving him a polite bow of her head, Aiko stood up and headed into the room she'd slept in. Sitting on top of the bed roll, she sat down and crossed her legs before beginning to close her eyes.

Had her soul become that dull? It was an honest possibility. She hadn't exactly had anything to live for during the war. Even now, she was hesitant on settling down due to not wishing to drag anyone else into her past, let alone lifestyle.

"My soul ... dull?" she murmured softly, her hands easily finding and rubbing along the sheath of her blade. Her eyes finally opened as she withdrew the sharp blade from it's barrier and glanced down at it. No actual blood was covering it but only because she made certain to wash it after each time it got stained. Even with that precaution, though, Aiko knew how crimson it should be. A deep sigh passed her lips as she placed the sword back into it's cover.

Clearly, she needed to think more on those. Her eyes closed again as Aiko resumed thinking about herself. Was there even a point to keeping up the nomadic-like lifestyle? To some degree, yes. But in the end, how long could she keep defending herself? How long could she keep running? Maybe she should just .. turn herself in? The grim thought made her grip her lower lip as she continued to quietly contemplate, carefully weighing her options out.

Masanori worked at cleaning, he didn't understand the fact that she was questioning her life style of the fact that she was questioning her life at all. He figured she was a wonder and a vagabond for so long that was a life that was something she got though and moved though due to the challenges of dealing with the new world that was around after the fall of the Tokagawa and the coming of the Meiji. Things were different in this world, and must of it was something that Masanori had to admit to himself that he didn't like at all.

His focus was on the fact that he needed to get so much done cleaning up a great deal. He worked over the house thinking about the old days a bit as he cleaned, and thinking about how much his life was different now then it had been before. He didn't tell her about his own swordsmanship. He knew that his skills were based around speed and accuracy, and that was the things that had been shown to him outside his natural sword style which was about accuracy to a great degree, but it was also largely about stamina and having a high degree of it.

As he worked, he heard footsteps and wondered over to see a man looking at him with traditional grab on. The man handed him a letter but said nothing else at all as he then quietly walked away as if he had nothing to speak to Masanori about at the moment. The letter was simple enough with just his name and nothing else on it at all. It was something that peeked Masanori's natural curiousity as he wondered just what the heck happened to be inside of it.

He sat down quietly and opened it, he blinked as he could smell Sakura petals on the letter and then quietly read it and raised a eyebrow. It would seem that Setsuma Clan was serious about a uprising and wanted him to help. That they were organizing groups in the various village under a banner of a strong group of swordsman who were from various groups from both sides of the war, that they wanted him to join their club and help bring back the age of tradition back to Japan.

For a while, Aiko had felt confident she'd come to a compromise with herself. Remain here a few more days then just .. follow the wind and see where her destiny and fate would lead here. If that meant death ... well .... she couldn't say it was a fond thought. But she knew she wasn't immortal either. It was inevitable to run into. At the same time, it was something Aiko wanted to avoid for a bit longer if possible which was why she hoped to be led to something like a place she could stay in and give up her ronin ways. Or something equally as pleasant. Regardless, it came down to her planning to leave in about two to three days. She'd allow herself to accept the hospitality Masanori was giving her for a bit longer. But she couldn't stay and drag someone else, Kyoto veteran or not, into her lifestyle. It wasn't right nor fair.

The sounds of footsteps echoing through the residence made Aiko's eyes open and her heart race. For a few moments, she feared they'd find her here. Thankfully, they went elsewhere into the house. Aiko stayed silent, listening to the steps. They were calm and knew exactly where they wished to go. This was a person with a purpose and goal. They had not come here by accident. Once the footsteps exited, she got up to her feet, attached the sheath across a spare sash of her kimono and, after tying her blade tightly to her side, walked out of the room. She found an intrigued looking Masanori holding a letter.

"Good news?" she inquired. It was the easiest way to ask what it was without being too nosy. The scent of sakura petals also got her attention and made a slight smile cross her face. They were definitely one of her favorite things to see throughout all of Japan. But ... who placed sakura petals on letters? Those were either flowers given to women, a sight to behold, or both. But to be put on an envelope? Not usually. It seemed a bit unorthodox.

Masanori turned as he heard the sound of Aiko and looked over at her for a moment. He had a good idea who had sent the letter to him and he knew it due to the scent that was coming from the envelope, it was a statement a kind of calling card that he would know based on past experiences. He let out a sigh and shook his head as he figured to be honest, "This is actually quiet the opposite it would seem," he said looking over at the young woman a serious look easily noticeable on his face as he made the statement.

"The letter is from a interesting woman, Lady Tokagawa Chieko, a woman who was very much connected with the old regime and it seems survived the battles that ended the old regime," he said looking over at Aiko going no father in the any thing about that woman who he knew rather well. "It would seem that there are many people who do not like this government that we have today, and would very much like to see it go away and see the old days return to this country."

He paused so that his statement would be fully comprehended by Aiko knowing it would either come as a surprise or not. He knew her little and knew little about what she knew about the situation of the world, she might know a lot, or a little given her status as a Ronin. "It would seem that they believe that I would be one of these people who would wish to fight the powers that be and end this government and have asked me to gather with others of like minds to overthrow the government and bring back the glory days of the past," he said with a straight forward tone to his voice. "I figure that a similar offer would be offered to someone such as yourself, most likely good money and a chance to improve your lot in life too," he added knowing that if it had been known that she was there then she would of gotten this invite most likely too.

Even as Aiko listened to Masanori, her gaze remained upon the card. The name of the supposed 'lady' was foreign to her. As he went on to explain what this letter meant, however, a neutral expression remained on her face as she thought long and hard on everything. Changes in the government weren't uncommon nowadays. When it came to going back to the older methods though .. that was an entirely different story. During the war, she hadn't only been against enemy soldiers. She'd also been very against the old form of government. They were ruthless, corrupt, abusive of their powers. To hear that a group already had enough supporters who were working on making history try to repeat slightly disturbed her. It may not have been obvious on her face. But when she finally did speak up, it was pretty evident.

"... I can't say I'm amazed there are people who don't like the government. I admit, they don't seem to know what they're doing too well. However, I can't say I dislike the system enough for those ways to return." A smirk instantly crossed her face as Masanori added that they probably would have asked her to join. "Even if they did, that's not what they'd really want me for or even try to offer me. No ... "

Her head shook as her mind tried to figure her own answers out. It still wasn't anything good and that was ample enough incentive for her in the end. Suddenly, though, the decision to remain for a few more days seemed to alter. If this town was already restless and sending out invites for more or less a coup, she wasn't sure about remaining. When the afternoon died and the moon took over, she'd leave. Things were accelerating faster than she wanted. If she got found, let alone being associated with Masanori ... they'd probably try to use that against him. And given he was making it crystal clear he didn't want to join, it wouldn't be fair to him.

"... With this all being hinted at, however, something tells me my stay here has abruptly become short. Just as I've promised not to reveal who you used to be, mind forgetting that I stopped here when the moon arrives?" It seemed to be only fair, that if she was indeed going to leave, Masanori should know. It had been his place she'd used to live in, after all. "I'd heavily prefer this but I won't push for it."

Why not? Because honestly, even if he did keep silent on her having been here, her presence was something anyone with enough of the correct skills could find out about. Even if Masanori kept quiet, it wouldn't mean she'd never be found. Right away? Maybe not. But it still could happen in the end.

Masanori looked over at Aiko as she walked into the room. He listened to her quietly, as he wasn't sure if she would want to join the fight against the government or wanted nothing to do with this. He paused as he listened for a long moment. He felt glad to know that she didn't want to restart the chaos over again, that would only lead to trouble and would be something that would be horrible for the nation and the people of the nation as well. He agreed with her pretty much on each and every single one of her points, the government was corrupt, the new way of things was not so great, but that didn't mean they needed to bring back the old order by chaos that would cause so much suffering and evil.

"Why do you think you need to leave," he said looking at Aiko, "you are a swordswoman, a unique woman from what I have heard has a great deal of skill and ability. You and I are in agreement about the nature of this problem, and what the issue with it is," he said pausing for a moment as looked at her, "there is a course that you can take that might be helpful to you and myself," he said pausing as he looked in her direction for a moment, as he wasn't sure if she would expect him to say such a thing.

"This group doesn't meet her, per say, they are of course going to meet in Kyoto," he said looking at her, "my suggestion is simple, we give this information over, and we head to Kyoto ourselves, we find out who this group is and we deal with them before they can cause any more problems," Masanori commented as he looked at her, "This is what I am going to do if you wish to join me or not, I have old connections in the capital and I can use them, plus doing this would mean the government will owe you and that is never a bad thing, perhaps would help you stop running," he mused as he got to his feet. "Now, if you don't want to go, do not fret, I will forget you came here, it will be most likely safer that way for you anyhow."

Aiko's head gently tilted as a new offer was brought up as opposed to her having to up and leave now. It definitely made her stop in her steps and turn to face Masanori. She hadn't seen let alone thought of many other ways. But that was likely a major difference between herself and the other swordsman, the way they thought about things. As she pondered on the offer, first thing was first. Aiko could owe him an explanation if nothing else in regards to his question.

"I'm flattered you've heard enough to be able to say such an honest reply. I intended to resume moving, however, for a simple reason. Those who haven't forgotten the old days and want them back would gladly take the chance to yank my life away. While I have no issue with this, I do have a problem dragging others into my affairs. Even with your own history ... it feels wrong to many degrees. However, you bring up an interesting point. My main concern ... is Kyoto itself. Aside from all the battles, blood, and chaos that were found there, it's my hometown. Though this should be good news .. it isn't in my case. I have more bad memories than good ones."

All the same, this somehow felt inevitable. She couldn't pinpoint why or how but something had told Aiko she never would have been able to avoid heading back to Kyoto; not forever. She just never expected to head back so soon.

A soft sigh passed as she ran a few fingers through her hair, thinking this over carefully. Finally, she gave Masanori an affirmative nod. "However, I can swallow my pride and help you out with this rogue group before things get too far out of hand." A small smirk crossed her face as she chuckled softly. "I suppose this means for me that Niken Okami Aiko is back once again. Never thought I'd say that so soon. Ah well. You already saw I have almost nothing on me. So essentially, I'm already prepared to leave for Kyoto. When you are, we can head out."

Honestly, Masanori figured the odds of Aiko agreeing to his demands were about 60-40 against the idea that she would help him. There were to many risk and to many bad possibilities, plus she had been in the fights before, which meant she had some ghosts in her closet that she might be afraid to see. That might be one of the reasons for which she had been on the run for so long. It was one of the reasons that he logically guessed when he had first ran into her.

When she announced that she would in fact help him out he nodded his head in thanks. "You are correct, I do need to gather my things together for this trip," he said calmly as he looked at her. He then slipped off to do just that, he made sure that he had his money, he had all that he would need for traveling, as well as making a sign telling anyone who came that the dojo was closed due to family issues a lie yes, but the common folk of the town didn't need to know the truth of what he was up to.

Masanori was ready pretty quickly as he had a small amount of stuff to take, he always believed in traveling lightly and a bag that was on his back was the only thing holding his things to take with himself. He looked at Aiko and nodded his head, "then we may be off at this time," he said calmly as he put the sign up on the door securely before he started to head out of town, it would be a walk to get to Kyoto, most likely wouldn't get their for a while, but he didn't like trains and refused to use them and didn't want to pay for a horse to take him their either and he guessed he would also have to get Aiko one as she didn't seem the type to have money for one.

While Masanori was away, Aiko took the time to think over her decision carefully. She wouldn't be able to alter her choice once her feet began to head towards Kyoto, after all. All she'd said had indeed been true. There were many anxieties about revisiting Kyoto so soon. There were also tons of possible things that could occur to them while heading there including ambushes, hostage situations, tons of 'what-ifs' that would require fighting, killing, or - in the worst case scenario - both. It'd at least be in self-defense. But that didn't mean Aiko would like going back to the old days, to when she was known as 'Niken Okami' Aiko.

However, this group was all but forcing her to. While the current government was no doubt incompetent to many degrees, it didn't excuse the fact that other people had decided to self-assign the duty of bringing chaos and unnecessary violence back into this world. And if that coup was successful .. there was no telling what exactly would happen. For all Aiko could guess, another war similar to the one she'd finished fighting in recently could repeat. Or, gods forbid, it could be even worse with more bloodshed, more casualties, more innocent civilians caught in the unfair mess.

The thoughts made her grip her lower lip with her teeth and sheath with her right hand. If that reaction hadn't spelled it out, then Aiko wasn't sure what could do so to say that she, once again, was needed. And although she hadn't seen Masanori in action, she wouldn't doubt his own background. He had mentioned a true name, the Shinsengumi. And if he really was - used to be - a part of that group, he was like herself. At a first glance, neither Aiko nor Masanori looked like much. But once the need to pull their blades out arose, it would be clear they were both deadly in their own aspects.

At least that was what her instincts and logic were suggesting.

Moments before Masanori walked back into the room, Aiko finally nodded to herself. A new sense of resolve entered her hazel eyes. She still didn't like going back to who she used to be. But she was ready to head back to Kyoto, to risk any and everything to ensure none of the future generations had to endure what she had. It had been a good part of what had made her grow up and give up her childhood. The other factor, the 'family' who raised her, was the other. However, the existence of the Kirigawa clan was something that could be dealt with easier than those who were as skilled as herself and Masanori in sword-wielding. But ... she did want to know if that would be another factor or not.

Knowing them, they hid away like the fucking cowards they are ..

The thought made her inwardly scoff. Even still, Aiko knew it was likely what had happened. They'd always been cowards, only resorting to abuse when they knew they could win. So of course, it'd been easy with her. She'd been a child, teenager at the oldest for years while she'd been amongst them. And for a good majority, she'd been untrained in any combat. Now .. things were different. If they dared wanted to try that again, they'd see how miserably it'd go for them this time.

The sounds of Masanori's footsteps snapped Aiko away from her thoughts. It hadn't been until silence lingered between them that she felt and realized just how quickly her heart was beating in her chest. An odd mix of an adrenaline rush and fear were seeming to form. Neither, though, would allow themselves to show in Aiko's eyes. All that was seen was the calm and collected side of her.

"Very well. I suppose I'm as ready as I will ever be." And with her words and own footsteps, Aiko began to walk alongside Masanori. Slowly, but steadily, they were on their way to Kyoto.

His guess on her funds were .. somewhat accurate. She didn't have much, maybe enough to buy a few meals. But not much more. Still, she had her two blades. And with enough jobs, perhaps something along the lines of temporarily being a bounty hunter while getting to Kyoto, she could easily make up for what she lacked.

Back
Top Bottom