Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

On-Site Dice Rolling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do the Blue Moon Forums have any method of performing a die roll or generating a random number from between one and a chosen target number? I know that some forums have a command to do this, but I have not been able to find any such thing here on BMR.​

At present, the only random dice rolling generator is found in the site's chat feature. Outside of that, there currently isn't one.

Well that is unfortunate. I suppose that I will have to keep a set of dice close at hand for partners interested in utilizing them.

Thank you for the quick reply.​

You're very welcome. I've mentioned adding one in the past and will be sure to do so again if/when any upgrades are made to the place. Not sure where things stand in the site owner's (also our tech's) pipeline of doing things. But hearing such suggestions, etc. are good to know because the higher the demand could mean the higher the priority as far as things go when it comes to eventually adding in any 'extras'. :)

I am no programmer, so my voice on how hard or simple it would be to design or implement such a thing is null and void, but it doesn't sound overly difficult to me. I know that Gaia Online has a very simple and easy to use system of random number generation within their message posting, but due to the nature of their posting, I am not even sure if their message boards use the same kind of code as Blue Moon. As such, I could not even begin to guess if their method would even be possible here.

*So says the guy who is completely ignorant of such things.*

Regardless, I will keep an eye out for posts revisiting this idea. It is always nice to know that the moderators are vigilant in their desire to not only keep the forums active, but to improve them as well. Other sites that I currently play on and have played on in the past grow set in their ways and stagnate.​

Most definitely. We certainly try, that's for sure. :) Already we've grown and added in things over the few years we've existed. So hopefully that speaks for itself. As for the generators? Like you, I'm no programmer either. So, I'm unsure as to how easy or difficult it is to implement. However, it's always good to be aware of what's desired because you just never know and it's good to know what your user base is and tends to want since it can only help your site to grow and become that much more diverse. A good thing, if you ask me. *nods*

That is aways a good attitude to have! Now maybe someone with knowledge of coding/programming will find this thread and shed some light on how easily or difficult this would be.

#PatientlyWaiting​

Well, you could always try PMing the site owner and tech. That would be Vekseid. He does browse this thread, but I'm sure if you send him a polite PM he'd get back to you when he's able. :)

I might just do that! The concept might actually end up being incredibly simple and we might see it go up to an interest check. Who knows.​

Indeed, though I really don't know. However, never hurts to ask and/or bring it up. Good luck and I know I'll be sure to bring it up down the line if a reminder is ever needed about it. *nods* :)

The main problem with doing it in-posts like I want to is handling editing. There is a framework for it in the new CMS stuff, but I've not been able to get back to that for awhile : /

So something like this is already in the works then? That's wonderful to hear! I am sorry to hear that you haven't had much time to work on it, but we've all got to esablish our priorities, right? I'm sure you'll get it done eventually. Until then, I'll be waiting patiently.​

An option that might be implemented sooner is making use of multiple AJAX chat channels, since I worked out how to do it with shoutboxes. There's a project I want to finish (hopefully very soon) before rolling that out to the rest of my forums, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom