Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Dresden Files Universe Roleplay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
“We have now left Reason and Sanity Junction. Next stop, Looneyville.”
― Jim Butcher, Grave Peril

There exists a world beside our own. A world of vampires and werewolves, faeries and wizards. It exists, largely, beyond the ken of mortal man, hidden in part by mutual agreement and partially by the stubborn, willful ignorance of mortals when faced with things that they do not wish to confront. That is, of course, unless you look at Harry Dresden. He's in the phone book, under 'Wizard'.

HARRY DRESDEN — WIZARD
Lost Items Found. Paranormal Investigations.
Consulting. Advice. Reasonable Rates.
No Love Potions, Endless Purses, Parties or Other Entertainment​

Most people take him for a crank, a mere charlatan that bilks the hard working citizenry of their money and leaves then with nothing but his echoing laughter at their expense. The truth is a little different, and hard for ordinary men to swallow. The truth of the matter is, Harry Dresden has been protecting Chicago for the last ten years from all kinds of magical mayhem, or at least helping the police clean up after it. He's broken up plots to create demigods of death, killed nigh-unstoppable Loup-garou, and traded blows with fallen angels.

With that kind of power, why is he in the phone book? Because something has to put food on the table.

“Jobs are a part of life. Maybe you've heard of the concept. It's called work? See, what happens is that you suffer through doing annoying and humiliating things until you get paid not enough money. Like those Japanese game shows, only without all the glory.”
― Jim Butcher, Blood Rites​

And this story is nothing about him. Not unless you convince me really good anyway.

“I've done smarter things in my life. Once, for example, I threw myself out of a moving car in order to take on a truckload of lycanthropes single handedly."
~Harry Dresden”

I want to explore the world that surrounds Harry. It helps if you're familiar with his exploits, if for no other reason you will have an idea of what the people in his world. I've got some ideas below...let me know if any catch your eye.

"Blood leaves no stain on a Warden's cloak."
Opening Line, Proven Guilty

“He had hard, steady eyes, and all the comforting, reassuring charm of a dental drill. -
― Jim Butcher, Turn Coat

The Wardens are the muscle for the White Council of Wizards, men and women who are not only skilled in magic but in the use of violent magic. They are the front line of the wizarding world against things that go bump in the night. At the current time, they are heavily engaged in a war with the Vampires of the Red Court, and are being pushed harder than they have ever been pushed. Their numbers have been decimated, and only a handful live in the new world.

Bradley was a kid from a good family in rural Georgia, but little did he know there was more to his family line than money. His great-great grandfather Hezekiah was born a wizard, and when Brad started to show signs of power emerging in his early teenage years, the old man appeared one day, demanding his parents hand him over for training. They were only too happy to oblige, fearing the poltergeists that plagued the house of a wizard just coming into his powers, and the strange happenings that mortal science could not explain. It was only once he left with the old man that he began to learn the truth.

That was 1988. Now, in the year 2013, Bradley has been training as a wizard for the better part of twenty five years, and has finally been declared ready for his duty as a warden. He is a monster hunter in a world of monsters, destroying the things that feed on mortals and enforcing the laws of magic against those that would break them. Though he was close to forty, the unnaturally long lifespan of a wizard means he appears little more than twenty five years old, with short cropped hair gone white prematurely, complete with steel gray eyes that command respect beyond all his years. His specific powers will be decided upon depending on the particular role play, but I see him playing well opposite a damsel in distress, or perhaps a young woman that he takes as an apprentice.

“Hell’s bells. I don’t call him the Fist of God as a pet name, folks.”
― Jim Butcher, Small Favor

The Sword of Love, The Sword of Faith, and the Sword of Hope...three blades, each worked with a nail taken from the cross, that pierced holy flesh and brought about redemption for all, were the most powerful relics that the church possessed.

Amoracchius was the first, the only to retain it's original shape, and among the most powerful. The sword of love was a classical style European blade design, with the nail worked into the qullions of the hilt. There are rumors that once it was known by another name.

Esperiacchius, the blade of hope, has been remade into a cavalry style saber, complete with the dark nail worked into the base of the blade, near the hilt.

Fidelacchius, the sword of faith, has been remade as well. Unassuming, much like it's wielders, it is a simple katana hidden within a shirasaya, that appears like nothing so much as a walking stick at first glance.

These three swords are the ultimate expressions of faith, and skill...but they are not the only items of power that revolve around faith. On the opposite side are the blackened Denarii, thirty pieces of silver that were given to Judas Iscariot for the betrayal of Christ. They give odd powers to their owners, but at a horrible price, for each one contains a fallen angel, and most of those fallen angels use the holders of those coins for little more than a meat puppet to ride their flesh.

In this case, I'm up to playing either a Knight of the Sword or a Denarius Knight, with specific details to be worked out depending on what kind of story we tell.

“If your opponent has you by fifty pounds, winning a fight against him is a dubious proposition, at best. If your opponent has you by eight thousand and fifty pounds, you’ve left the realm of combat and enrolled yourself in Road-kill 101. Or possibly in a Tom and Jerry cartoon.”
― Jim Butcher, Small Favor

“So we get a plan," I said. "Any suggestions?"

"Blow up the building," Kincaid said without looking up. "That works good for vampires. Then soak what's left in gasoline. Set it on fire. Then blow it all up again."

"For future reference, I was sort of hoping for a suggestion that didn't sound like it came from that Bolshevik Muppet with all the dynamite.”
― Jim Butcher, Blood Rites

And then there are the ordinary mortals, those hopelessly outclassed by the ones they fight against, and those who have no real chance...yet they fight anyway. I'd love to play a member of Special Investigations for the Chicago PD, or any other similar departments, perhaps with a burgeoning talent in the mystical arts.

I know that I didn't give a lot of specifics here. That's intentional. I'd love to work together with someone else to come up with a fulfilling story for everyone, and I look forward to working with ya'll. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom