Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

New CMS suggestions/requests

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vekseid

Most imposing inkwell.
Administrator
I have this thread on Elliquiy, but may as well go here too, as Blue Moon is going to get it first - it simply has to as the database design for Blue Moon's current forum software was developed by people with an extreme case of mental deficiency. Using the word 'retard' is an insult to those with such conditions, as it takes a very special combination of arrogance and stupid to actively decide to do something worse than your predecessors.

Anyway.

CMS: Content Management System. If you visit a website and you see some means of organizing data with it, it runs a CMS of some sort. MyBB ('My Bulletin Board') is the CMS that drives Blue Moon, for example, though it's tailored to be a forum rather than a full-blown CMS, thus usually isn't classified as such. The new software running BMR (and later Elliquiy) will be much more powerful in that regard, however.

With the server move completed shortly, after finishing up a few sideprojects, I'm going to be moving back to working on the new software full time again, this time lacking the interruption that got me last year.

As I mentioned on Elliquiy, the new CMS software is going to be coming to Blue Moon first. The primary reason for this is because what Blue Moon users use most - the PM system - is not only the most broken subsystem here, but also by far the best developed component in my new software.

I'm still loathe to give too many details, but the private conversation system is more like an IM program with the full formatting features a forum typically provides, and then some. You give up the ability to arbitrarily BCC non-staff, and gain what amounts to a set of private shoutboxes on steroids.

There are also a number of features I'll be able to get away with completing later - file handling, integrated wiki, etc. I know one complaint is that I pay less attention to Blue Moon than I do to Elliquiy, but that won't apply when they're both running what I've been dreaming about doing for the past decade.

Anyway! Don't be afraid to make large requests, request that some things get removed, etc. While I do occasionally fix some borked element in MyBB or SMF (what E runs), for the most part I plan on devoting my dev skills to something that actually has a potential future.

So for the PM system on this new server, it will pretty much be replaced with a sort of IMing PM system where isntead of actual messages we just send IMs?

Sorry if I don't understand. Its kind of late here and I'm tired and yet curious as to what we'll be getting with the new features.

Ooh! Well, if you're asking for feature requests, I made a thread awhile ago with a very particular request I had that -hopefully- isn't too intensive--but, on the other hand, what the request involved was what you seem like you're getting rid of; the PM system as it is. My request then was to expand the PM-notication popups to include posts to subscribed threads. But if you're moving to an "IM/shoutbox" system, then I guess the notification popups aren't relevant anymore, huh? Oh well...

That was about the only request I had.

For posts and subscribed threads, you can also use your User Control Panel currently. The latest 5 RPs YOU created that were replied to will show up in your User Control Panel. ALL RPs you subscribe to that get a new reply will also appear in your UCP. I have found it very handy.

Er, I do already use that, every time. My request was also adding the old corner-popup notification when you're on another page as well, just because that would be nifty and it didn't seem like something particularly difficult.

Perhaps something for forum threads akin to the PM notices on the top of the screen? Linking to your most recently replied to subscribed thread and so on?

I'm pretty sure that's in the thread I linked, too. Several people did seem to like the ideas, including Darkangel...

Jugger82 said:
So for the PM system on this new server, it will pretty much be replaced with a sort of IMing PM system where isntead of actual messages we just send IMs?

Sorry if I don't understand. Its kind of late here and I'm tired and yet curious as to what we'll be getting with the new features.

Not exactly.

You open up a conversation with someone, and rather than having to wait for the notice to popup to go looking for replies, you simply see their reply.

The new software is designed such that you never actually have to reload a page, ever, to see any new content (new posts, new pms, etc).

I don't have threads/'forums' nearly as well-modeled as I do private conversations, but the current plan is that yes, there will be live notification like for pms now. And then some.

Is there any information in regard to the search feature? As I suggested in another thread, I was thinking maybe a tag feature would be nice to have and it'd help the search function maybe?

I hate to put suggestions here, rather than making a new thread, but it seems most effective.

I would love to see a "Mark as Unread" feature added. You don't even understand how awesome that would be to the absent-minded such as myself. Just throwing that out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom