Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

North Korea

Tathariel

Supporter
Supporter
So Bluemoon, what can I say about N.Korea.

Lets start here.

A company on post organizes tours of what is called the DMZ, or demilitarized zone.
It runs on the 38th parallel, and is the line that divided North and South Korea.

My fellow soldiers and I took a trip up there today, and it was not what I expected.

There are some great symbolic things that are on the south side of the DMZ, like The Freedom Bridge (more popularly known as the Bridge of No Return), where thousands of thousands of S. Koreans have crossed to the gates on the North side, leaving messages scrawled on everything from paper to bedsheets. Asking the tour guide, how long some of the notes have been up there, she bitterly told me that some of the things left at the gate have been there for more than 20 years, specifically pointing to what looked like a bed sheet, which looked extremely old.

After seeing the gate and a few other odds and ends, my friends and I were smoking outside when we heard talking coming over the loud speakers. It was FUCKING LOUD. When I asked a Korean worker what was being said, he replied "they are telling the North Koreans how wonderful it is here." and apparently at night N.Korea does the same thing.

o_O.....really????

If you ever get a chance go to the observation tower here. You'll see what called the Unification Observer y. At the top, you can see a N.Korean village. Our tour guide explained that even though the village is decent sized, no one really lives there except less than 150 factory workers and farm workers. They are paid to live there by the North Korean Government. Looking out, you can easily see that these people don't have coats, gloves, or anything that looks relatively warm on their bodies as they trudge toward a factory and fields in the distance. At sundown they all leave, and apparently only a small amount of people remain in the town. The tour guide then explains, in the summer, the villagers farm rice, but since the population of N.Korea is so fucked up do to every single fucking problem you can imagine, certain companies, get S.Koreans to farm N. Korea rice fields.

We were told a story about how a bunch of N.Korean upper-class people came to visit, and usually no one is allowed to cross the Dmz, but because of the tour they were on, they came right to the edge. When they were there taking pictures, one of the N.Koreans started sprinting across the DMZ to South Korea. North Korean soldiers gunned him down before he made it.

Walking around outside, we could see the North Korean army, we talked and joked and smoked cigs, and watched as they walked back and forth, scattered along the 38th Parallel. We could see them staring at us. and thats all they did, just stare. Eventually we decided to take a picture of them, and see if we could piss them off. eventually we got bored though.
A-North-Korean-soldier-gu-001.jpg

really??? does this dude look scary to you.....
After that we hit up the gift shop, bought bottles of N.Korean alcohol and got drunk, messed around with some Katusas (Korean army soldiers integrated into the U.S army) we ran into then hopped up and took the bus back home.
It occurred to me later, the complete absurdity, of the situation here. A bunch of US army soldier and tourists, just came up the what is now the equivillant of the Berlin Wall, (but its a line) and took pictures, and made faces at the N.Korean soldiers.

ITS A TERRIBBLE FUCKING JOKE. N.Koreans treat this DMZ like its the most important thing in the world, you know not letting S.Korea mess up their country right???.....in south korea, food great, people are great, people have jobs, colleges, hotels, diplomats, embassies, malls, parks.....North Korea has.......um...... NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The rest of the world treats the DMZ like a fucking tourist spot. Do you know how many people are starving to death, just 30 miles past that DMZ???? How bad it is over there??? How fucking brainwashed all those people are???? On their side, they set up a museum, and hung the Ax used in the killings in the 70s when a bunch of s. Koreans and soldiers fell asleep in a guard house, on the south side of the DMZ. When the museum was built on the south Korean side, N.Korea build this huge fucking tower, with a giant flag at the top. The fucking flag weighs 800 pounds dry. why?
On the tour we were shown a tunnel that had been dug underneath the DMZ by N.Korea. In case war ever started, they could move 30000 troops an hour through it. They apparently didn't plan on the road falling in over them, which is how the tunnel was discovered by south korea. (it collapsed), Over 6 tunnels have been found I think. anyway.

I just think its weird, how we could treat a place like that like its nothing but a way to waste an afternoon after everything...which is still happening and never stopped.

Fun fact for you. N.Korea routinely shoots artillery into S.Korea, usually just isolated wooden spots, or in mountainous regions, just to prove that they can actually hit something if they wanted to. Ive heard during training missions, South and North Koreans have run across each other in the within the DMZ and shot each other up (remember it goes all the way along the 38th parallel).

UGGHHH.....I honestly hope that something similliar to the Berlin Wall is going to happen soon. In fact last week, S.Korean officals stated that, if they recived, clear signs that N.Korea was going to invade, then S.Korea would invade first......o_O makes a lot of sense right???

Opinions and thoughts Bluemoon???

Fear of invasion often used as a precursor to unnecesarily aggresive military behaviour. I'd think N. Korea would likely be the loser. Russia with its massive army to the north, china with its massive army to the southeast. Both of them are itching for a reason to use them as well.

Anansi said:
Fear of invasion often used as a precursor to unnecesarily aggresive military behaviour. I'd think N. Korea would likely be the loser. Russia with its massive army to the north, china with its massive army to the southeast. Both of them are itching for a reason to use them as well.

China and Russia, have been allies of North Korea for years.....not quite so supportive lately, but nonetheless.

Incredible post.

When I was a kid, my father was with 3rd Infantry Division, Recon. We were stationed at Wurssburg, Germany and one of the many things my father and his buddies did was guard the border between East and West Germany. They too used to pull little pranks on the guards on the other side, and tease them.

The East German soldiers didn't have heat in their little guard huts nor did they have electricity in their huts. So Dad and his guys would step outside in clear view of the East German's and pour out entire thermos' of coffee at a time. It was just to fuck with them. Dad and his buddies used to get off on watching the East German's sad faces as the steam rolled off the wasted coffee that they would have sold their souls for.

On just the other side, people were suffering there as well.

I don't know why this is a common thread. I think it's because the soldiers rarely have much to do with the politics. Sure, both might feel like they were on the 'right side' or that they are the 'good guys' but ultimately both sides seem to end up doing this kind of stuff.

I dont think Im a good guy or anything, but I cant help but think Im right, when I say that N.Korea should be the way it is. I really do want, that country ripped to pieces, and anyone that cant let go of their crazy fucking extreme communism goverment, should be disposed of.

Tathariel said:
Anansi said:

China and Russia, have been allies of North Korea for years.....not quite so supportive lately, but nonetheless.
The alliance has been based on similarity of systems of govt and N. Korea's lack of aggression, I'll bet you that if Korea begins invading China and Russia will be quick to denounce them. Russia isn't communist anymore so that's already weakened also they're still trying to soften up their world image.

I think my Dad would have said the same thing back then.

I also think that you both are correct. (er...were as the case may be)

That place is a fucking Greek tragedy and it does feel like no one seems to really care.

I wonder, do you think that it's because people fear that they'll be compared to McCarthy? Like if they say anything bad about North Korea then we're "out to get the commies" again?

I don't know.

Tathariel said:
does anyone ever?

Care? Well I hope so, though the cynical side of me says that people only care if it affects them.

If war did break out I think would just try and stay out of it where as China would look at it as a way to make some easy gains in their economy. They definitely wouldn't side with the north because then they would be against us which would shatter their currently rising economy.

You should check out "The Vice Guide to North Korea". There's another North Korean documentary that was pretty good, but it helps you see the amount of sheer fucking crazy that exists there.

One of the gems is about a tree that was supposedly around when one of NK's leaders was born. When a Japanese team was allowed to determine its age, it was way too young to be around at that time. So that tourist attraction was shut down and you are even allowed to bring it up in conversation without threat of prison/death.

Here's part 1 of several. The one I have was in 15 parts, but it's *well* worth watching to get some ideas on how bad it can be.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" rel="nofollow" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6ixGYzbLz0">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6ixGYzbLz0</a><!-- m -->

I FUCKING TOLD YOU, ITS FUCKING INSANE....

but S.Korea is fucking badass in itself.

There was a comedian who made me begin viewing the world as a large mini van. America is driving the damn thing and North Korea is best to be thought of in the back banging his fists against his knees and screaming "We waunt nukirar weapuns too!" We then turn and shout at them, "You have people starving in your fucking country and you don't even know what to do with the food we give you. You're not getting any fucking bombs....Yeah, I know, it's not fair" He then went on to make some jokes about Iran looking at Pakistan and France surrendering, but I think that the joke pretty well analyzed the truth about N Korea's position in the world.

I'm glad someone made this thread, because I need to rant.

North Korea just issued another threat of 'unprecedented nuclear strikes' on the United States and South Korea because we preparing for the possible instability in the region when Kim Jong II dies.

"Those who seek to bring down the system in the (North), whether they play a main role or a passive role, will fall victim to the unprecedented nuclear strikes of the invincible army..."

They also threatened a powerful - possibly nuclear - strike, if the US and South Korea went through with its annual military drills.

I mean, seriously?

I mean, okay, they have some nukes. Yes. But do they have a reliable delivery system? Probably not. Possibly SRBMs that could strike South Korea, but nothing that could hit us. Even then, most of their technology is so outdated, the odds of it succeeding would be rare enough as it is.

And do they seriously expect that they could win something like this? The first sign of hostilities from North Korea, and the world would be all over that. It would cease to exist as a country. I mean, hell, even now, someone could probably go in, cut the head off the snake, and send in enough infantry and materiel to at least stabilize the country in a couple of weeks.

As a soldier in South Korea, I would have to say that although we do train for the possibbility of N.Korea getting frisky, we're not 100% prepared. Seoul is only an hour from the border, if Seoul goes, then that means that all the camps from the border to us are gone. It sounds stupid, but we're kinda spread out a bit too far.

But to stabilize the country??? It would cost millions of taxpayer dollars, let alone all the side effects it would create on the world if N.Korea needed everyone else to take care of their problems.

They also threatened a powerful - possibly nuclear - strike, if the US and South Korea went through with its annual military drills.

They better aim right, because I just got back from a 2 week training FTX.

They always say their going to attack when training happens...nothings ever happened, but its possible it could.

Fuck them. Personally, I want an excuse to go and wipe that country off the map.

Nothings gonna happen.

If it was, it would have happened already.

This stuff happens a lot more than you would think.

Most of the time you never hear about it.

Back
Top Bottom