Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Price of Freedom

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: I Hate Titles (Cash, Kitteh, and I)

Wandering aimlessly without a care in the world was Amelia's only specialty. She always seemed to be lost or confused, and never really cared in the least. The many distractions of the world were enough to take her mind off of whatever distasteful situation she may happen to get herself into. Everything was a distraction to this girl; she was one of the most bizarre people anyone had the displeasure to meet. There was no reasoning with her, she could never focus on one thing for too long. It made her brain ache, which in turn caused her to become violently upset, sometimes throwing tantrums.

It was a wonder how she made it day-to-day, just walking straight ahead. Luckily, she now had a dear friend--her only friend--with her to help her with her travels. Reina, at least, was self-sufficient. The poor girl had to play a motherly role with Amelia, helping her with tasks as menial as making sure she didn't wander off too far. Hidden below the depths of what seemed to be irreparable stupidity, lay the powers of a magician. Should she find a way to focus long enough to harness her magical capabilities, she could have the potential to be quite strong and useful.

For now (and maybe forever), she was just the oddball that was content having nothing, and being no one. She had thick, dark locks that swirled around her face, framing it in a dark wreath of curls. It seemed quite messy, but that wasn't a surpise. Her appearance was as eccentric as her personality. Under long black lashes, blue eyes gleamed at the sky, as though she was a simple child dreaming about the shapes in the clouds. That wouldn't have been a big surprise either. A little upside down moon-shaped mark lay right under her left eye; the mark of her clan.

The busty young woman, about sixteen years old, was dressed in garb that suited her lifestyle. She wore a simple brown bustier, simply strung up the center with white strings. She wore a short red skirt, with dark brown tights underneath that cut off at her knees. A red ribbon was tied around her head, strands of her dark hair falling around it at various places.

Her boots met the stockings at the knees. They were worn and dirty; but she liked them that way. If they were dirty, no one would steal them! That was perfect logic. She couldn't travel without a good pair of boots.

Amelia ran up to Reina's side, grasping her hand in her own. "Where are we going now, Reina?" She asked, her childlike amazement returning to her eyes. She loved Reina so dearly. That girl was the only person who seemed like her at all, and only found her slightly irritating. It was a welcome relief from the usual.

� - - - - >----{ � ° � ° � }----< - - - - �

â?¥______ _ _ яεinα â??εinÉ¢oâ??

X x ______________ _ _ _ _______________ ___ _ _ _ ______________________ _ ___ __ _ _______________________ _ __ ______ x X

To the people of Brigalda, Reina and the uniform she wore so proudly was a red flag of distrust and loathing. She was Knight directly under the Prince of Rhonius, mortal enemies of the Brigalda colony. The only reason she had been granted entry into the outermost ring of the underground city was because by bringing a native with her, she was granted visitation as a guest but was kept under careful watch by the officials. They had stumbled upon one of the hidden passages into the underground fortress, and therefore they werenâ??t screened or asked for paperwork; however, it was only a matter of time before they were caught. If Amelia wasnâ??t at her side, the soldier would be arrested at the drop of a hat, and probably executed. Even now, she was given the most loathsome of glances, her pale skin and hair as well as her dress marking her clearly as an outsider, as well as the absence of the telltale tattoo that all the villagers donned on their cheeks. Amelia had kindly offered to marker one on for her to make her feel more at home, but she politely declined.

Brigalda differed so greatly from her home town that it was like stepping into an entirely different world. The village was built around an underground spring and was rich in foliage and fauna upon which she had never before laid eyes. The city was strung proudly in the colors of their banners of blue and gold, modeled after the bird of their flag, a colorful parrot of exotic plumage; the people also mocked this style, dressing in an almost tribal manner donning precious stones and features on their bodies as a show of class. The artificial lighting of the underground portion of the city cast an eerie purple blue glow, muting the colors of the various buildings that were placed very close together giving the city a cluttered, but exciting feel to it. From the outcrop where Reina was standing she could see the spring in the villageâ??s center, smell it, and almost taste it in the porous, humid air. The smell of the waste that was filtered through the ancient sewage system paired with the smell of the spring in such an enclosed area wasnâ??t the most pleasant, but it she was told that the spring water was the purest in all of the Kingdom. The upper portion of the city was much, much smaller, and very few of the natives chose to live there. It was comprised mostly of foreigners who had set up camp and decided to lay their roots and build upon Brigalda above ground. The Brigaldish milita did not keep such a careful eye on the upper levels, so it was easier for travelers to pass through.

The Rhonic was short of stature and slight of build- not particularly busty but with hips that complimented the feminine pink skirt she wore with her uniform. She was dressed primarily in various shades of muted pink, several belts weaving about her waist and a knee high boots of a thick, protective black material. Her hair was long, and a pale flax blond, usually tied back from her face with a ribbon, but she could never seem to keep her thick bangs swept back completely from her forehead. Since the Exposure, of which she was forced to take part, all members of the Raven Knights were issued a set of protective gear they were supposed to wear to protective them from the harsh rays of the sun. Reina had bartered off all but the cloak and goggles for room and board for herself and her companion. Her weapon of choice was a quan-dao, which she kept strapped to her back with the blade angled at the sky, but if forced into a fighting situation she would typically choose hand to hand combat if she felt herself able to take her opponent.

The raven commonly in her company had gone missing several days ago, and she was almost ready to resign to the fact that he had been eaten or abandoned her. He was a gift from Sir Crowley, and she had cared for him since she was young.

She was standing on an elevated overhang, staring down at the city with wide, curious eyes. She had only just begun her exploration when she realized something important. A silence had settled over her, and the absence of chatter was an indication that something was wrong. Somehow, she had managed to lose Amelia, and scrambled to find her before the officials realized that she had somehow managed to lose her guide. The blond spent the next twenty minutes scrambling around moronically in search of the girl only to find that for some reason she had chosen to go back above ground and was staring at the sky like a small child laying eyes on it for the first time, her thick chocolate brown hair blowing gently in the wind. Her irritation evaporated as quickly as it had set in as she approached her, only to be welcomed with the warmest of smiles. Amelia was like a little sister to her, a dearest friend, and she didnâ??t mind taking care of her in the least. When she had happened upon the girl, utterly lost and babbling senselessly about losing her brother and something about the Arc, she figured the least she could do was take her home.

â?Well,â? she began, gently, a smile on her face. â?Ameliaâ?¦â? She trailed off momentarily, unsure of how to explain to the girl the situation they were in. â?Donâ??t you want to go home?â? She squeezed Ameliaâ??s hand gently in her own, then directed a glance at the mouth of the hidden entryway she and Amelia had taken when they entered Brigalda, before Reina was nearly arrested. She angled her rose-colored eyes back at Amelia and opened her mouth to continue to attempt to persuade the girl to go back when she was forced to do a double take, thinking she had seen movement. They were ignored by the throngs of people peddling their wares in the hot desert air, but she had managed to catch the eye of a man most peculiarly dressed and carrying what looked like a pickaxe. But what had drawn her attention more than his appearance was the way he carried himself, as though he were looking for something and with a definite purpose.

â?You canâ??t go down there, you know,â? she told the stranger in the most irritatingly matter-of-fact tones. She had approached him with no purpose other than to dissuade him from trying to forge his way into the city. â?Theyâ??ll catch you and arrest you for sure!â?

X x ______________ _ _ _ _______________ ___ _ _ _ ______________________ _ ___ __ _ _______________________ _ __ ______ x X

â?¢ - - - - >----ι Ï?ιâ??â?? иÏ?Ñ? â?? ι ε, ι`â??â?? Ï? α ι Ñ? нεяε Æ?Ï?я yÏ?Ï?----< - - - - â?¢

The man looked over the approaching loudmouth. She dared quote law to him, try to warn him off? She was the reason this world was in the shit right now. He could feel his arm tensing up, just wanting to put her down for the good of the world. But instead, all he did was hocked a large lougie at her feet.

"Don't think you're qualified to tell me shit, oh destroyer of the world. Now get out of here, looking for some people with brains and vision."

More than slightly taken aback, the blond blinked in surprise as she took a step away from the projectile spat into the dirt at her feet. She stared at the ground, her expression a mixture of disgust and anger, her pale brows furrowed. A sudden gust of wind shifted the hair on her brow, and disturbed the weapon strapped to her back, whipping his scarf around her body with such force that if she hadnâ??t leaned against it she would have taken an involuntary step forward. The abrupt motion ruffled her skirt and the frilly material beneath it, exposing momentarily too much skin than was proper for a girl her age, causing the color of her cheeks to deepen a shade.

�You . . . � she trailed off, her voice hesitant at first, then it seemed as though her predominant emotion tipped towards anger. �H-how dare you!� Her temper flared, but it was rapidly subdued; her soldier training had taught her better than to allow herself to direct her emotions at a civilian, even when they spoke to her in a degrading manner.

She put a hand to Ameliaâ??s arm to steady the unstable girl, to still her and perhaps keep her from doing something rash. The brunette at her side tended to be reckless and unpredictable when it came to dealing with her emotions, primarily anger. When in a rage, Reina had witnessed a band of rugged men blown to smithereens with a blast of misdirected magic that rivaled that of a well trained Elementalist. She leveled her eyes with Ameliaâ??s crystal blue ones, as though passing through her stern gaze a message, thought she knew it would probably be lost on her regardless. She pressed her forehead to her friendâ??s briefly, a subtle physical expression of endearment she couldnâ??t resist.

She whirled around not unlike an exuberant magical girl or an imitation dance move, and thrust her finger in the manâ??s direction.
â?Iâ??m not going to let you talk to me like that!â? She had resumed that childish sing-song voice she had used previously, only a hint of satisfaction colored her bold words. She really thought this petty man a fool, and would have no qualms with squashing him if the need arose. â?Iâ??ll have you know that in Rhonius, I could arrest you on the grounds of disrespect alone for treating me in that way!â? She resisted the urge to hurl an insult at him, adding as an afterthought, â?I have plenty of brains.â?

â?¢ - - - - >----ι Ï?ιâ??â?? иÏ?Ñ? â?? ι ε, ι`â??â?? Ï? α ι Ñ? нεяε Æ?Ï?я yÏ?Ï?----< - - - - â?¢

Inside of the shapely young woman, a storm of rage and hatred was brewing and boiling in her veins. She could hardly contain the strong feelings that were welling up inside of her! What right did this man have to talk so crudely to her dear Reina? How dare he have the nerve to speak so negatively to her? Reina was simply trying to assist the man, warning him of the impending dangers that would await him should he continue upon the path the was currently following. Why, he should have been on his knees, kissing the ground at her feet in gratitude! There was no kindness these days; everyone was so rude. She would not grant him an excuse of any kind for the treatment of her best and only friend.

Amelia managed to wiggle out of Reina's gentle grasp, stomping angrily towards the man as quickly as her legs could muster. Why, she just felt like smacking him into the netherworld. She did not even find the need to reconsider. She would murder this man. "How dare you!" She copied, pointing her finger accusingly at the stranger. "You have no right to speak to Reina in such a manner!"

"You're the one with no intellig--"

The poor girl did not get the chance to finish her last statement. Her legs suddenly became entangled into one another, and she fell forward and began to tumble. She let out a scream as she rolled across the ground, landing at his feet with a thud. She looked up from her place on the ground, still sprawled out on her stomach, and continued her tirade. "You're the one with no brains!"

How odd. She did not seem at all phased by her most embarrassing predicament.

"Well we're not in Rhonius, and I don't see any of your dipshit buddies, either," the loudmouth continued right back at Reina. He stepped back as Amelia tripped, keeping just out of her reach, doing little more than quirking an eyebrow at her display. Flashes of panties and bare thighs. He shook his head slowly.

"But what do you care? You're probably just camp women. Go, ply your trade somwhere else, I need skilled poeple, skilled in arts other than laying upon thier back."

Taken aback by the manâ??s implications and hostility, the knight balled her fists at her sides and stared him down, her gaze steely. Any respectable woman would have been completely put off by his foul remarks; he had dared to call her a whore? She had no reason to stand there and be disrespected by so lowly a man, and saw no reason to risk arrest a second time by slaying him in the streets. â?You insult me,â? she countered, stiffly. â?Amelia, we have no business consorting with such a disgusting excuse of a man. Come. â??

With that she stepped forward and looped her arm through Ameliaâ??s, hauling her clumsy friend to her feet with more ease than one would expect of her stature. She promptly flipped her hair from her shoulder, and turned her back to him, thus dismissing him from her attention entirely. She had no interested in his affairs and merely meant to extend to him a friendly warning.
â?Shall we again beg entry into the city?â? The sweltering heat was quickly becoming completely unbearable, and she really didnâ??t look forward to developing sunburns on her exposed areas.

"Yeah!" Amelia shouted in agreement to her lovely, petite friend. "And for your information mister, I'm good at all sorts of things and lying on my back!" The brunette, of course, had no idea as to what he was implying with his earlier statement. After being hauled to her feet, she dusted herself off quickly, before childishly sticking out her tongue at him. "Don't ever insult my Reina again, or I'll kick you so hard you won't know what to do with yourself!" She pointed her finger at him and downward, motioning to his lower half. Her threat was not at all hollow; for being such a ditzy young woman, she was never afraid to exert physical violence on an offender.

"He's lucky you grabbed me Reina, or else I would have killed him for you!" She felt the need to add that in at the last moment, before turning away from him, mimicking the blonde's every movements. She wiped a bit of sweat from her dainty brow, squinting up at the sky. "It's so hot!" The subject had completely changed for her; she couldn't focus on any one thing for too long. "Maybe we should undress? My friend Irvine always told me that when it's hot, get undressed and drink magic water and you'll feel much better!"

Reina slapped her forehead with her palm at Ameliaâ??s â??wittyâ?? comeback, shaking her head while trying to keep the smile from curving her lips. Before she had a chance to correct her, the brunette continued to talk, making an obscene suggestion. â?He what!? What on earthâ?¦ â?? she trailed off with a shake of her head, deciding it was better to leave it alone than question it. She grabbed her friendâ??s arms to halt the undressing process, looking Amelia in the eyes and firmly commanded, â?Now Amelia, stop doing that right now, not in the middle of the street. No!â?? It was as though she were speaking to a toddler or a disobedient pup, but there was laughter in her eyes. No one amused her more than Amelia and sometimes what she needed more than anything was a reason to smile.

To her surprise the grotesque stranger turned towards them in a state of maddened fury and wailed a battle cry, running at them with his pickaxe swinging over his head in the manner of a helicopter.
â?Look out!â?? Reina cried, flinging her body on top of Ameliaâ??s in an attempt to remove her from the path of danger. He wasnâ??t ready to give up, looking more like a deranged troll or a goblin as he approached them a second time, madness in his wild eyes. Reina looked down at Amelia, her face a mere inch or so from Ameliaâ??s, her eyes wide with fright. â?Donâ??t worry,â?? she said, calmly, â?Iâ??ll protect you!â?? She began to attempt to untangle her legs from her friendâ??s, her hand falling awkwardly on Ameliaâ??s left breast as she attempted to gain some leverage. Her face colored.

â?HOW DARE YOU!â? he wailed, bringing the axe above his head and then swinging it down at where the girlâ??s were lying on the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom