Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

new particle discoverd.

Kraven Trollsbane

Planetoid
a few weeks ago the physicists at the particle accelerator in Illinois in the us discovered a new type of particle before this there were two types of particles. one where a quark and anit quark join causing a meson, and then where 2-3 quarks join making up other particles like protons. however they recently found a particle that could not possible have been made either of these two ways. it happens only one or two times in billions of collisions.

anyone here have an intarest in this or its ramifications.

what do you think about it

ill just throw in that i think this discover makes it seem more likely that the higgs boson will be found.

yep sure do though oddly enough its on the national geographic site

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" rel="nofollow" href="http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2009/03/090320-new-particle.html">http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... ticle.html</a><!-- m -->

glad to know theirs at least one other person who diggs particles here

Actually, I'd think it would make the Higgs Boson sorta like "the ether".

If there's a particle that is rewriting the rules of the standard model, then it might negate the need for a HB.

Particle physics makes my head hurt, though. It's too much math and my math at that level is pretty spotty.

well the way i see it this will change the model on particle formation but shouldn't really change the need for a higgs field which has little to do with formation and more to do with where particles get their mass. so we still need the higgs. to me the fact that they found a new particle with the old tech makes it seem more likely that with new tech we should be able to find new particles. that's probably a psychological fallacy but that's what i think.

I'm pretty sure new particles are found all the time.

And the Higgs Boson is predicted by the standard model. If that model changes, the predictions might change. Might not. I was more interested in the proton being measured as a different value.

ah i see what you mean now. as far as i know though there's no good evidence against the standard model. and i hope the higgs is real because it could open up the path to near light speed travel or a kind of way around gravity

i think ill start a thread abut the higgs later if there isnt one already.

Kraven Trollsbane said:
that's probably a psychological fallacy but that's what i think.

That is a cognitive bias (appeal to novelty). Not that I'm saying that I necessarily disagree, I definitely see where you're coming from and expect our new technology to help us find new things. Kudos on spotting your own bias, though. Most people have a complete blind spot surrounding their cognitive biases and logical fallacies.

well i actually just took psychology over the first summer session, i probably wouldnt have thought about it if i hadnt. ;-)

Ah, Fermilab! That's a great place for a picnic; the accelerator is buried, so they have lots of land they devote to prairie reclamation. They even have a herd of bison out there! Fun stuff.

I like the idea that they just found particles that shouldn't be possible under the current understanding of particle formation. I love it when physics theories are shown to be MOSTLY but not ENTIRELY accurate. It's a good reminder that as much as we understand the universe, there are always details that get a little wonky, there are always new things to explore. I like that about the universe.

While we're talking about the Higgs Boson, wasn't the LHC supposed to find the Higgs? I know that wasn't its main intent, but they were really hoping it would. Did anything ever come out of the LHC? I haven't heard of a thing besides over heating and needing to fix it.

It's going to undergo repairs for at least a year I believe.

Vekseid said:
It's going to undergo repairs for at least a year I believe.

They booted it up in March and managed the highest number of collisions in recorded history.

But they've still not yielded promised results..and now to lose to Fermilab, who they set to beat...I guess I can still make CERN and LHC jokes.

Vek what you're thinking of is the current proposition to add new beams to the device due to the current state of diminishing returns. It is up, it is working, its doing great..just nowhere near what they expected in terms of their discovery.

Ah the god particle... we can either know where it is or how fast it is moving... but not both. However being the GOD particle it knows both these things, it knows what I ate for lunch.

I kid a little but this is quite interesting, the smaller it is the more fleeting the particle becomes, how intriguing.

It isn't, just a bad joke.

I know a good one about Decartes, pm if you want to hear it.

Kawamura said:
... The more fleeting?
Forgive me, that idea was poorly expressed. What I mean is the smaller the particle the harder it is to detect as they decay quite quickly

Back
Top Bottom