Into the Devil's Arms I Run (Tracker & batman4560)

NotNiceAngel

Super-Earth
Ninael could vividly remember the day that she first met the God of Mischief here on Earth:

It was early morning when they let her into the detention area where Loki was kept. Director Fury already briefed her: she was only there because she was an expert on Norse mythology and language. She had the best understanding of the gods. Loki confused even the most able scholars; he was a complexity which divided them, and with every theory, there arose at least two to contradict it once he was done.

When she found him standing there in the huge, suspended Plexiglas cell, she simply paused. She wasn't a fool, she knew he knew she was there, and a soft laugh fell from his lips. "Is there any particular reason you feel compelled to watch me, mortal?" Loki turned to face Ninael, his emerald eyes glinting like chips of broken glass. She did not tremble or even waver. She'd seen his face through cameras and windows; she was used to it. He was as imposing in person as he was on camera, and she inwardly thought he was a puzzle to be solved.

A wry smile curved her mouth. "Curious thing, aren't you?" she remarked, her gaze assessing him. "A tangle of intricacies. What a confused being you must be." His brow elevated, and she felt a flicker of satisfaction at realizing she had piqued his interest, even if it was only slightly. He nodded as if to tell her to continue. "You seek approval," she said, meandering around the cage and strolling towards the glass. "You believe that conquering this realm will win you brownie points. Respect, even. But I wonder if you even understand this world, Loki Laufeyson."

The Prince's jaw tensed at that remark, and he took a step forward, his eyes icy. "You presume much, mortal."

"Ah, so I'm right," she laughed quietly, and looked at him, unafraid due to the glass. He was much taller than her, much more striking, but she knew she could walk away. Unlike the many others, Loki did not inspire fear in her. He tilted his head, studying her. His eyes flickered; she was not one he could fathom quickly, and he listened, faintly intrigued by her. "I know you're going to get out," she continued calmly. "You let yourself get captured. You're ten steps ahead of everyone. I can see it. You hide it well, but your eyes are far too expressive," Loki grinned. "You're a classic case of 'problems stemming from childhood'," Ninael replied, sardonically. He cocked his head in acquiescence, eyes flashing only briefly. Her eyes appraised him standing there. He was regal even when caged; he reeked of superiority. There was no denying he truly believed he should rule Earth. But there was no way he could. "Seven billion people? Seriously?"

"Of course." His voice was calm. "I will be your realm's king, and every single one of you shall kneel."

"Not me." She gazed at him. "That is not my way. I have never deferred to anyone; you will hardly change that, I think. I don't do well with authority."

"Are you giving me a challenge, little mortal?" Loki's eyes gleamed as he took a step forward. "How tempting…I accept."

She smiled dryly. "You would." Ninael paused, measuring her words. "Care to tell me why you chose Midgard?"

Loki was visibly surprised by the speech that fell from her lips: Old Norse. He tilted his head, his green eyes calculating. "I have never met a mortal who knows the language of Asgard," he says softly, the same vernacular rolling out of his mouth fluently. "Intriguing. So they sent you here to see if I can be seduced into surrender, the one who speaks my tongue." He smirked. "I see. Well, Ms. Eva…I am afraid I shall have to disappoint you."

The fact that he knew her name did not surprise her in the least; he was a god, and a powerful one at that. He could have a thousand abilities and telepathy seemed almost a given. It did not mean she accepted it, and her eyes narrowed. "Skim my mind again, and I will not hesitate to blow you sky-high, bastard."

He laughed. "My dear Ninael, your bullets cannot harm me. None of your feeble mortal weapons can. Your threats are meaningless."

Her eyebrow lifted at that. "Am I so little?"

"Of course you are. You all are, to my kind."

"Would that be Asgardian, or Jotun?" She knew she was treading a thin line; Thor had warned her not to bring the subject up. But she couldn't resist; the fact that she had called him Laufeyson instead of Odinson had rankled him, and she gained some form of twisted pleasure from it. Sure enough, his eyes darkened, and he walked forwards, menace wafting off his skin, shaping his expression.

"Have a care how you speak."

"Why?" Ninael's shrug was elegant. "I neither know nor respect you. You are a complete stranger; it matters not how I address you."

His sudden smile threw her off guard. The look in his eyes was almost predatory, and Ninael felt a ripple of unease slither down her spine. She felt as though she were about to fall into a trap. "Oh, how wrong you are," his tone was triumphant, laced with amusement. "How very wrong you are. How very wrong indeed." The linguist took a step back. He was playing a game she was not privy to; it left her off-balance. She stared at him, trying to guess his motives, his next move. He simply smiled. "You will kneel. In time."

Ninael scoffed and folded her arms over her busty chest in an attempt to regain composure. "I'm only one mortal. I do not think I am that significant."

His head cocked. "You present a challenge, my dear; one you made it far too easy for me to accept. A chase. A game, if you will. And I fully intend to play you. In every…single…way."

His voice had dropped to a pur, and it unnerved her and aroused her. And judging by the smirk on his face, he knew it. Ninael realized she had had enough of him. She wanted out; never mind what Fury wanted. Enough was enough. She wouldn't crack him – at least, not yet. She forced her cheeks to cool, and fixed him with an iron stare, though her heart was thundering with apprehension. "It will not happen. You will lose, and we will win. As we always have done." She turned on her heel and left, almost desperate to leave the chamber. She did not see Loki's smile, or hear his murmured reply: "Ah, but there is always a first time for everything."

Three days afterwards, and the world watched as a tall, poised being arose from the rubble of the city of New York, proudly proclaiming himself King. The Avengers had been defeated. Any immediate resistance was all but eradicated. Four months later, the world had been brought to its knees. Loki had won.

A shudder raced down Ninael's spine at the memory. Since that day, she had been running from Loki; however, she knew it was no good. He was only toying with her, but at least it gave her some hope. Ninael currently worked at a small library in the middle of nowhere at the edge of Wyoming. Her hair was a sort of ash brown and landed at her waist, and her eyes were a gentle, dark blue that seemed to always draw people in. Her hair was kept down and straight just like her summer dress that she had pressed. Sighing, Ninael went back to her work, trying to forget that she was wanted by the most powerful being currently on Earth.

Loki had taken the guise of a weathered old man and followed the heroes of the world slowly killing them off one by one. First his brother and the Avengers, then the x-men, fantastic four, and all the stragglers that followed. Now after months of traveling he had made his way to a small town in Wyoming. A sly smile crossed his old weathered lips as took his first steps into the old lonely town. His dry cracked skin was caked with dirt as he stumbled across town hoping that anyone would be willing to let their guard down and help the old pitiful man.

At around noon Loki was picked up by a passing couple who decided to take him in. On the drive to the hospital Loki got a good look at the town and how small it truly was. Everything just seemed to...be close together like a family. Loki sniffed the air and caught a wiff of Ninael. Her challenge echoed in the God's mind and soon she would be his and forced to kneel down before her king. He smoothed out his green sweater that made him ich to know end. Snapping Loki teleported out of the elderly couples car and stood on the edge of a sidewalk in the middle of a park. Sniffing the air he swore he could taste his prey. Slowly he came to the library she worked at. "Mmmm the chase comes to a quick end..." Slowly he pushed open the glass door letting the bell ring and announce his presence.

Ninael heard the door and walked out of the aisle she was in, saying the usual welcome. When she saw him with that smile and those eyes, she went silent and dropped the books that were once in her hand. Her body went numb with shock and fear; he let her run for two years, letting her think that she could actually outrun him. Now he was here to kidnap her back to wherever his headquarters were. What would he do to her? Ninael turned and ran off down one of the aisles and tried to think of any way to escape. A shudder rippled through her as she listened for Loki's footsteps while she slipped through the aisles.

Ninael froze when she realized she was trapped in the library. There was only one way out, and he was no doubt using something to block it. "Why are you here?" Ninael asked, trying to throw off the God of Mischief. "Why did you wait so long?"

Loki smiled as he clenched his staff and started to float above the ground moving seamlessly forward while projecting an image of himself at the door. "Why indeed...I told you I like a challenge and to be fair I thought Id give you the head start...but it seems my little mouse that you were not fast enough" He floated to the end of the book shelves and placed a hand against the shelf farthest away. Taking a small breath he pushed the shelf onto the next causing a domino effect. "Come out, come out my pet"

Gasping, Ninael jumped out from her hiding place just as her shelf was collapsing. She looked up at the god with a harsh glare and staggered up onto her feet, cornering herself against the wall for protection. Her eyes were sharp, glaring daggers into him as her body trembled only slightly. When she finally regained her composure, Ninael stood straight. "Interesting. So what now? Are you going to kill me or imprison me? Maybe you'll just use me for some political game," she snapped like a wary animal.

"Use you for a political game? I OWN YOUR ENTIRE PATHETIC PLANET!...I don't need to use anyone for anything...my brother is dead and father wont come off his throne to stop me. If I were going to kill you I would simply send a destroyer here to do the job. I told you that I would own you and I do intend to." He took a few steps toward Ninael and pointed his sharp staff at her. "Bow down or fight...I will even give you a weapon to defend yourself with. But know this...I will win and I will own the entirety of s.h.i.e.l.d. If you hadn't guessed by now, I do use it as a base." Loki smiled wide at the woman who faked confidence and came to a stop just a few feet away from her. "If you don't make a choice Ill start killing all the people in this town starting with the children."

Ninael felt the chills as they each raced down her spine. Her legs felt shaky and untrustworthy beneath her as she pressed herself into the wall. He was an overgrown ass, and now he had her cornered. And he was enjoying it. "I'll take the challenge. I'm not going down without a fight. If I win, you leave me alone. If you win," she took a shaky breath. What the hell was she about to do? If Director Fury was out there somewhere, she hoped he might be able to help her. "If you win...I'll go back with you, and I won't run until after we get there," she said steadily though her eyes were timid. She was playing with fire.

"If I win?...Little mortal I am a god! My brother and your champions could not stop me. What makes you think that you can?" Loki pointed his staff at Ninael and shot a cuncusive wave at her. His green cape fluttered out behind him and blew his hair back. Loki smiled a twisted a grin and his eyes narrowed. "Hmm a beautiful mortal if not a stupid one" The joy he felt in his heart was unmatched. Finally he had found the last hero the planet had to offer.

A yelp of pain escaped Ninael as she flew back, hitting a fallen bookshelf and landing on her back. Pain shot up her spine and into her hairline, making her see spots in her vision. She looked at him with now terrified eyes and weighed her options: go with Loki and live or fight and see other die. Shaking like a leaf in terror, Ninael stood and walked forward. "I-I'll go with you. J-Just let me go to my house and get some things. Please?" she pleaded, feeling defeated. "I won't try to run until we get to your base."

Back
Top Bottom