Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

We need to communicate with our elected officials better.

I think, that the main reason our elected officials don't represent us very well, is that they are out of touch with us, their constituents. A reason for that, I feel, is that communicating with them is not easy. I found a TED Talk some time ago, which I believe describes the best way to contact your officials. What I think many Americans fail to realize is that our representatives are not going to ask us what we want to see done in this country, it's up to us to initiate contact.

While I agree that it is important to be proactive in your local and national government, the passiveness of the general population isn't the only thing to blame here. In the past, there used to be several forms of media that properly portrayed the peoples' thoughts. I don't know about anywhere else, but I know that my old home town's newspaper is now more concerned with shootings and scandals than they are with the views of the populace, which used to be a bag part of that paper. On top of that, the television news media these days are more worried about which celebrity cock is being stuffed inside which celebrity pussy than they are.... well, ANYTHING else.

Old channels of indirect communication with our congressmen and women have gone to the wayside and turned into useless dribble to feed an increasingly uneducated number of welfare leeches. Said people could care less what happens as long as they have their booze, their smokes, their free money, and their bullshit television. It is sad, but people like this are starting to swell in numbers and outnumber sensible people to the point that it is hard to make a valid concern be heard.

I agree. Ignorance on the part of the constituent is a growing problem as well. A nation of lazy ignoramuses is what became of the Roman Empire at the end, and that is what is happening now.

This reminds me of the fear of Orwell's world. That we're afraid the government is going to control our lives, burn books, and seek ways to control the masses.

In the mean time, we're living in Huxley's world. The average person is far too busy watching "reality shows", both ears with loud music blaring to drown out the world, and every product we could ever need available within a couple of miles of us at a department store. We, as a people, are too busy with trivial concerns that we really don't care about anything else.

I also like pointing out that Democrats hold the Senate and Presidency. Republicans have the House. Anything one party pushes will be blocked by the other party because of the requirement of a bill passing all three of these marks (and no supermajority to bypass one). There's a reason why Obama seems to have done nothing and it wasn't for want of trying.

Thinking about it, that's why we come here. Escapism is one of our greatest vices. The real world is too full of bad things and everyone is trying too hard to ignore them. We're always looking to break free of our ho-hum lives. So much so, that when the people who represent us try to talk to us, we won't listen.

I definitely agree with that. The problem comes when so many people ignore or don't care about these issues and ignore them. I'm always fascinated when someone can be more concerned about what a celebrity does than what their reps are voting on. Twisted priorities, in my opinion.

I try not to talk about other sites, but Reddit is a bunch of hypocrites. There's a reason I quickly removed all the default subreddits and kept only specific ones I liked. They'll tell you about how you should help others and support a cause. All well and good. Mention your small business on there, though, and you're told how you're ripping people off. Mention donating blood or doing community service and you're told how useless that is or how you're being robbed because of your good deed. I had one guy tell me that I should die because I disagreed with his post. The very definition of bigotry. A word that's tossed around to describe someone who's wrong, not it's actual definition.

Actually, voting is probably a very clear nature of how they behave. Voting third party is something I've seen a lot. Why? So they can show the two major parties how wrong they are. They're so viciously ready to attack someone, anyone, that even an otherwise completely agreeable party has some flaw that breaks the whole lot. It makes me sick to think of that behavior. It's a demonstration as to why our social services are under attack: Other people don't deserve any services. It's completely different when that person is in a pickle, complaining about the government not helping them. We'd rather cut off the whole arm when the finger gets infected.

I agree that right now, with a TWO PARTY system, with the Media always courting both but only because of money and their greed, really competent people are rarely allowed to hold office. This contaminates the entire system, and it is the reason why people with real needs never get the services they need.

As Bulworth tells us: IF YOU WANT POLITICIANS WHO AREN'T ON THE TAKE... THEN GIVE THEM FREE AIR TIME, AND THEY WON'T HAVE TO FAKE!!!

Back
Top Bottom