Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

J.A's Home Office

AlphaWolfQuin

Pulsar
2z9brbp.jpg

J.A's Home Office

rk09iw.jpg

Name: Julius Anthony Chen
Ring Name/Nickname: J.A.
Attire: Black coat, Slayer Logo Shirt, Distressed pants, Diesel Shoes, Rayban glasses.
Tagging: Cassie

(Thurs June 5, 2014; night)

He went inside his apartment where the computers run 24/7. With all the money that he gets from the sponsors, he can afford to. Without wasting any moment, he took off his coat and placed it on the rack. He then sat on his computer chair, pulled out his phone then connected it to the computer via a USB cord.

His cigarette was almost done. He pressed it hard on the ashtray and he lit another one.

Watching the progress bar of the file transfer, he patiently waits for his new assistant.

wgp4y8.jpg

Name: Cassandra Price
Ring Name/Nickname: Cassie
Attire: Pink cami tank, beige capris, wedged espadrilles.
Tagging: Anyone; JA

Cassie slowly approached the number of the apartment that JA had written down for her. As she came upon the door, she took a deep breath and slowly let it out, trying her best to stay calm and not let her nerves get the better of her. So far, she seemed to be making a good impression on JA as he seemed more than happy with what she could do, even if it didn't seem like overly much from her own perspective. But she figured, at least it was helping him out and lightening his work load and that was all that mattered, in the end. Taking another deep breath, she swallowed hard and knocked on the door.

rk09iw.jpg

Attire: Black coat, Slayer Logo Shirt, Distressed pants, Diesel Shoes, Rayban glasses.

J.A's fingers glided all over the keyboard. His posture was straight and he never slouched. It's easy for someone to think that this man is a cyborg. After finishing a quick journal post, he then proceeded to open the package that was delivered to him earlier. Inside the box was a DVD containing the hi-res videos of 10 and 15 second ads for different wrestling related products and apparel. It also has ad logos and graphics that will be used for links. The workload might be going up but so does the income. He prefers to work alone but to keep up with the demands, an assistant was needed. He doesn't have expectations but his "neighbor-slash-assistant" has left a good first impression. Expecting more can't be helped.

He heard the knock on the door. "Ah, my dear assistant!" He pressed the cigarette into the ashtray before standing up. He walked towards the door and without even using the peephole, he opened it.

"Welcome to my rather small office." J.A gestured for her to come in. He might be a smoker but he is responsible enough to buy some anti-tobacco freshers, one of it effectively plugged near the door. He also installed a ventilator by the window. The place was not suffocating at all.

"I assume that you're not hungry at all but feel free to grab whatever you like on the fridge. I know, some people would like to munch on something. As for refreshments, if you're a drinker, I don't mind, just don't sleep on the job. Anyway, let's do some business first." He pulled his office chair and told her to please make herself at home. "Yes, I only have two hands but I prefer using different computers for different tasks. Doesn't kill the processors and I just feel more organized. Don't worry, you'll only use one at a time." His hands went on the mouse of the left most one. "I assumed you've heard the news earlier right? About the beatdown at the grocery? You as a writer, can you write something about it? Well, actually, everyone already knows that. This is what I mean." He clicked on an icon and the video of Ryan, the wrestler that got beat at the grocery popped up. He was whining at the hotel lobby.

He leaned on the office chair, propping his elbows on it while looking down at Cassie. "I took that shot earlier. Now, the fans would love to see it. Can you write something that would spice it up a little bit? I trust you that you can so please do!" He gave Cassie a quick history lesson about Jasper and Ryan and what the fuzz was all about so that she's not entirely clueless. He grabbed one of the laptops and went to the couch just behind the workstation. "I myself would just do some editing."

wgp4y8.jpg

Cassie walked into JA's apartment and gave him a smile. She glanced about the place to get a feel for it and listened to him as he spoke. She giggled softly as he mentioned the incident at the supermarket. She'd been there and witnessed it up close and personal so writing something up wouldn't be a problem at all. In fact, it would be all too easy she figured. She looked at the pictures and tried to commit the images and faces to memory as best she could. She also took in the stories JA had to say that filled her in regarding who these people were just to give her some insight and history. She nodded and smiled and bit down on her lower lip as she listened.

When JA finished, Cassie looked at him and set her jaw with determination. She took in a breath, let it out and then smiled. "I think I can write up something to your liking," she said, giving him another nod. "Where should I get to work?" she asked.

rk09iw.jpg

"You can just open a notepad there and start typing. It's just a rough draft anyway. I'll then check it out afterwards and I'll teach on how to login into our server." He chuckled at that. "Yes, our server." J.A. giving emphasis on the word "our" "Feel proud for being part of JACwrestling.com.chen." He clicked on the "Process" button on the video editing software on his laptop. The video clip of Ryan's tantrum is now being mixed with the 15 second ad from the new sponsor. It usually takes awhile even if he is using a fast machine because of the high resolution that he uses. He stood up, stretched his back muscles then walk towards the workstation where Cassie is.

"So far so good?" He asked. "We have a lot of work to do my dear. Savor the moment." He gave her a pat on the shoulder. "And oh, before I forget." He pulled out his wallet and pulled out $500. "As per our deal, your cash advance for the excellent work. I know you don't like checks. No one does."

wgp4y8.jpg

Cassie had all she could do to hide her surprise when JA handed her the cash advance. $500. She had never made so much for doing so little, let alone in so short a time span. It hardly seemed real. Blinking several times over, she finally just stared at the cash in her hand as if studying it for a moment, wondering if it would suddenly just vanish into thin air. Finally, she put it away in her purse. "Thank you, Mr. Chen," she said, giving him a smile.

Cassie then nodded in regards to her assignment and went over to the notepad JA had gestured toward. She bit down on her lip, opened it up and took a deep breath as she set to work on writing her articles. As her fingers began to type, she could feel her cheeks growing a bit warm. She hoped she was doing a good job, that what she was writing would be well received--both by JA and by those who read what she had to say. It was nerve wracking to say the least, but nonetheless, her fingers flew across the keys. Click click click. And soon, after quite some time had passed--along with a few hidden frustrations as she'd typed--she finally finished up her pieces.

Looking over at JA, Cassie blushed, hoping that he'd like what she'd written, giving a first hand perspective of the encounter... but with spice and pizzazz, a very personal flair. Or so she hoped. "Mr. Chen, I've finished my first draft... if you'd like to read it over," she said.

rk09iw.jpg

Reading her work, J.A. can't help but feel really good about his decision to hire her on the spot. "Believable. For a non-wrestling fan, you're good." He looked at her, almost telling her that he knew from the get go that she's not the type whose into this whole wrestling thing. The way she handled herself over the phone, that is not the type of person who follows A.W.O.L day and night. She likes her for that though. The fans, and a lot of them, knows J.A's ways, surely they would try to be "cool" to impress him. He expected that and that's why he got so curious with Cassie. So far, not a bad decision.

"I like your choice of words. They'll definitely develop hype. Still, there are room for improvements. I don't wanna be a lecturer so I'll just edit some parts, and you compare. Ok?" He motioned for her to let him lean down. "Excuse me, this will be quick." Standing behind her chair, he typed. Lightning fast. In a span of 2 mins, editing was done. There was not much to edit anyway, still, he effectively shortened the article, removing approximately 3-4 lines. "The more you read, the more you learn." He smiled at her. "By the way, feel proud, you're a celebrity now. Your posts would be under your name. Of course, I don't want to take credit from you. That is just unfair my dear."

"Now tell me, what pen name would you like to use?" He then opened another software, after typing in a code, a database window opened.

wgp4y8.jpg

Cassie smiled. She was beyond glad that JA was pleased with her work and she felt herself blushing at the praises. It just wasn't something she was used to at all and it definitely motivated and encouraged her for any subsequent assignments that would soon come her way. "Thank you, Mr. Chen. I'm glad you like it," she said softly. "And I'll do better next time. You'll see." She gave him another smile to let him know that she meant it, that she'd try harder and learn as she gained experience as she did things. When he asked her about a pen name, she bit down on her lip. She hadn't thought about that, not even remotely. After thinking for a moment, she finally came to an idea... "CP Harris. That'll be my pen name." Her name was Cassandra Price, so the CP was obvious. The Harris, however, was something that only those who knew her and of her past would understand... Her eyes watered ever so slightly, but she managed to hold them back without too much issue. Smiling, she said the pen name out loud again. "Yes, CP Harris."

Cassie's thoughts drifted to her parents for a moment, how she'd lost them a year back in a fatal car crash. Being 18, she'd been given the choice of foster care or none. She'd chosen none, the harder path to be sure and oh the hell that had been. The hell, the heartache, the pain until she finally had to leave Boston all together. Her parents had been her world, good people. Harry and Georgia Price. And the 'Harris', should she become successful in her new job... would be her tribute to her father, Harry.

rk09iw.jpg

"Enter" His finger flicking over the enter key like how an arcade gamer would do on an old street fighter 2 cabinet.

Her pen name was now on the database under the first user which is "JA"

"It's getting really late, as usual but we'll finish this one. The interviews, videos, and pictures earlier from the cafe can wait till tomorrow." He chuckled. "Best reason to work for your own company, no effin deadlines. Still, we can't slack."

Upon opening his site manager software, he showed Cassie how to paste and upload files onto the site. "Unlike the ye olde days of computing, now pretty much everything has been dumb down. Just upload the note file and the thing will auto-format. As for the video, every single one of them is on my home server. Just look for the "Processed" folder. Next time, I'll teach you how to prepare videos for uploads." After uploading everything, J.A saw for the first time the author pop up window.

"Please choose author" It says on the screen. He clicked on the drop down box and proudly highlighted "CP Harris." He turned towards Cassie to see her reaction. He knows, the name means something to her. It could be anything. He didn't bother to ask knowing that it's personal. He himself has undisclosed things that he wants to keep to himself. Things that mean so much to him.

"Easy as pie!" He said to her. "Now, wait for a few minutes and those insomniac kids would praise your name." He sighed as he stands next to her, facing her now. "What else... What else..." He paused. He then laughed, feeling stupid for missing something so important. He has to admit to himself that this is his first time to hire someone and he is expected to mess up on something.

"Your contract!" He said to her, snapping his fingers. "So Cassie, ever been to New York? You know that Broadway show, The Jersey Boys?"

wgp4y8.jpg

Cassie watched JA as he moved quickly and set everything up, showing her more and more of the little things along the way. She nodded, absorbing the information and knowing that she'd manage fairly well based on what she was being shown. When she saw her pen name pop up on screen, she smiled and bit down on her lip. She had to admit it was nice to see it there and it was even nicer that it was for her belated dad. After a few moments, JA brought up the topic of 'contract' and Cassie felt her tummy flutter. Everything was suddenly becoming more real. Official. Tucking a lock of red hair behind an ear, she smiled. But she had to shake her head when asked if she'd been to New York. Sure, she'd been to the state, but not the city and most certainly not to a Broadway show.

"I've only been to upstate New York, Mr. Chen," Cassie admitted, her cheeks going red. "And no, I haven't seen that show. I'm sorry." She looked down at her feet feeling like she should've, but hoping that it was all right that she hadn't.

rk09iw.jpg

J.A explained to Cassie the "Jersey Contract" which was one of the important scenes from the play.

"Yeah, that's basically it. I tell you I pay you $800 a week every Friday for as long as you want to work with me and then we shake hands. That's it, deal." He looked at his wrist watch. "Or we can cobble up something, like type deals and stuff on the computer, print it out, then sign it. You choose." He pulled out his cellphone, opening the camera app. "To make you feel more confident, here, if ever you want the Jersey Contract, let's video it, I'll give you a copy right away."

wgp4y8.jpg

Cassie stood there silently, unsure of what to say or do. The amount of money JA wished to pay her per week was tremendous! And the contract, so simple. But... was it legal? Would she be covered should something go wrong? She wasn't sure and she was so young and inexperienced and... She'd been through so much hell in losing her parents over the past year. The one thing that had taught her was that life could be so very cruel and unfair and unforgiving. It took and didn't care where it left you and often times that was in the dust and left for dead.

Biting down on her lip, Cassie's eyes began to water just a bit. She began to worry terribly. As someone who'd had issues in turning down foster care and had the system on her ass about it... She knew, at the very least, about certain legalities. What about taxes... bank account savings... Just then, she began to fidget, her hands starting to shake a little.

"I... I..." Cassie stammered. She so desperately wanted this job, but she was terrified. She needed to keep things legit and on paper. "I..." She hoped that by choosing the route of something on paper wouldn't be too much trouble, but she knew she had to go that route despite what was being pushed. Looking at JA, she finally mustered up her courage. "I need something written up... please?" Her face had gone pale and after she'd asked, she turned to look at her feet.

rk09iw.jpg

"Alright, and print!" J.A decided to look for a contract template online and edited it for his own use. "Savings? Bank stuff? Direct deposit? I pay you cash, don't worry about it. Taxes? I got you all covered and no, I won't deduct it from the price I gave you." He pulled out the paper from his printer then checked it again. "Just relax, I got you." He gave her a reassuring smile. "You see, when I first started doing freelancing work, I must say I was clueless with the legal BS too. All I want back then was too write and I want to get paid for it. It's my sister who helped me understand things. I was just a clueless teenager then."

After reading through it, he turned towards Cassie, nodding while giving her the paper. "Read it, I know it's lengthy and stuff, but whatever. I'll just go get something. You sure you dont want anything to drink or eat?"

"Once you're done reading it and if you think it's correct, which I believe it is, We'll sign it. Understood?" He walked towards the fridge to grab a can of Coke.

wgp4y8.jpg

When JA gave her no trouble and printed out a contract, Cassie felt herself starting to breathe easier. She hadn't even realized she'd started to have trouble or that her heart had started racing. As she felt her nerves slowly dissipate, a smile crept upon her lips. The moment the paper was in her hand she looked at it and then back at JA and hugged him. "Oh thank you, Mr. Chen," she said. Pulling back, she looked down at the floor. "Sorry about that," she giggled, still happy and excited that he'd been so understanding. "Just thank you. I appreciate it." As she began to read through the contract, she looked over at JA and nodded. "I'll have a coke, thanks. If that's all right," she then said.

rk09iw.jpg

"I knew it! I should've included that in the contract. But, oh well." He shrugged then proceeded to sign the paper. "I prefer that my dear assistant call me J.A. You can drop the Mr.Chen. Sounds lile I'm a mob boss or something." He took a sip from the can. "Well, I guess that one we can just do via a Jersey contract right?" He laughs. He placed the signed paper on a copy machine. He placed the original on his file cabinet and the copy he gave to Cassie. "J.A." As he extends his hand to her for a handshake.

"You sure you're good with just the Coke?" Looking at the can on her hand that he handed to her. He then checked his watch. "Two minutes to midnight." He chuckled at the Iron Maiden referrence. He's a fan of heavy music. "I guess that's it for your first day." He leaned over to one of the computers and opened his homepage. He clicked on Cassie's work. "See? already 559 hits and 50 comments in just what? A few minutes?" He smiled at her. "CB Harris, you're now known internationally." He gave out a suppressed yawn. "You see? Things do become faster if we work together." Splitting the task of writing the article, editing the video, and uploading the files between two people did made things more efficient.

"So at what time do you usually wake up? I usually go out early in the morning and look around especially if I have leads. What I'm thinking is that maybe you can transcribe Taka and Kevin's interview? You can do it at tomorrow at home if you want to. Just bring your files later here in the evening. I'll give you a call when I return." He handed her a flash drive. "All the videos, files, and of course, the audio file of interview that you'll transcribe are in there."

wgp4y8.jpg

Cassie giggled as she shook JA's hand. Giving him a nod, she said, "All right, JA then." She then took a sip of her coke and smiled. "And yes, the coke is fine. Thank you so much." She could hardly contain her smile as JA showed her his site and her article with her pen name 'CP Harris' in black and white for her and now the world to see. It was still so surreal. "Oh, I wake up at a reasonable hour typically. Usually around 8am though I can be up earlier if I'm needed," she said when asked about the time in which she usually got up in the mornings. "And that's no problem in transcribing the interviews. I can probably get that done before lunch time easily," she said. "Also, being friends with both Taka and Kevin, I'll have an inside edge on things. Both hope to be working with A.W.O.L in the near future and I'm to help them both get apartments here as well." She hoped that would help to a degree with gathering information when it was called for. "Anyway, I'll get this back to you sooner than later," she promised.

rk09iw.jpg

(Friday June 6, 2014; Past Midnight)

"Excellent! That's what I like from an assistant!" He looked at his office chair. "I'll have to get an extra chair for you. I guess the desk is wide enough for two people so that's not a problem." He said as he surveys the workstation. "You'll be spending more time here once we get to the advanced stuff. There is no way that your home computer can do those things." He looked at her then laughed. "That's the reason why I specified a woman on my ad. No way in hell I'll be sitting next to a big burly wrestling computer wiz for an extended period of time." He paused, sipping more Coke. "Also, I'll give you a duplicate copy of my apartment keys so that you can work here while I'm out. I'll probably have those done on Monday."

"So if you have any questions, just let me know. Any problems tomorrow, you call me. Alright?" He stood there, suppressing a yawn, waiting for her response.

wgp4y8.jpg

Cassie nodded. "All right," she said, smiling and taking in what JA told her about the working conditions of her new workstation and how she'd soon be receiving a set of keys. "And I think I'll be fine for now. I have what I need and I'll get the transcribed interviews to you sooner than later." She bit down on her lip and then let out a tiny giggle as she watched JA try to hide yet another yawn. "Well, you seem tired, JA. So, I'll let you get some rest. I'm sure you've been running around quite a bit today and probably want an early start as well." She gave him another smile before taking another sip of her coke. "Again, thank you so much for this opportunity. It means a lot." She tucked the flash drive away in her purse. "I promise that I won't let you down." Again, she took another sip of her coke. "Anyway, I suppose this is good night then. And I'll get this back to you tomorrow."

rk09iw.jpg

(Friday June 6, 2014; Past Midnight)

J.A. excused himself for being sleepy. "Yeah, I had a long day. Most of which I spent getting bored at the hotel." He laughed. "Anyway, I'll just go check the forums for any developments. These kids sometimes do pass important information." He walked her towards the apartment doors. "Sorry if I have to keep you up late but please get used to it. I'm not gonna wake you up in the wee hours of the morning anyway, but who knows?" He opened the apartment door for her, nodding at her. "Have a good night Cassie."

After his fruitful day was over, he took a quick shower before heading to his bedroom. Wearing only jeans now, he opened his tablet which he keeps by his bedside table. He spotted a new thread on his website's forum and everyone is all eyes on it. He smiled at the pictures that he saw.

"I guess I better sleep now. I have a hunch that I'll see Julia all passed out at her locker tomorrow." He said to himself before turning the tablet off. Within a few minutes, even with the Coke just a few minutes earlier, he was asleep.

(Exits to Julia's Apartment)

wgp4y8.jpg

Cassie nodded at JA and exited his apartment so that she could head back to her own. She figured she'd get some sleep and get to work on transcribing the interviews first thing in the morning and... the earlier the better.

(Exits to Cassie's Apartment)

wgp4y8.jpg

Attire: Black knit short-sleeve top, beige shorts, black wedged heels.
Tagging: No one; calls Taka on the phone

(Friday June 6, 2014; late morning)

Cassie arrived at JA's apartment approximately around the time in which she'd said she would--later morning, just before lunch. She knew he wouldn't be there, being the busy guy he was and all. So, she retrieved the flash drive from her purse that had all the transcribed content on it along with her extra blurbs introducing the interviews as well as wrapping them up. She hoped he liked the extra bits she added in there, even if he had to edit it. She placed it in his drop box along with a note and then pulled out her phone to call Taka to see if he and Kevin wanted to arrange a time for later on that day to see about apartments at Sunny Hill Apartment Complex.

(Exits to Sunny Hill Apartment Complex)

Back
Top Bottom