Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Simtech Wargames

B

Broomhandle45

In the non-descriptive modern day of 20XX, there is a new hobby sweeping across the globe of teenagers and adults worldwide. It's not the latest virtual reality game, or the highest end console.

It's Simtech, designed primarily for militaries in use during high intensity wargames; simtech has been designed from the ground up to simulate the harsh realities of war with none of the fatal injuries. By some way of buisness or another, it was opened up to the market as a self defense round, and it similarly exploded in business in ways nobody expected.

It became the hobby in many places, especially Japan, America and many places throughout Europe. To have simulated 'wargames' was an increasing trend in many areas, so much so that it began to obtain national coverage and eventually lean towards a professional sport, it became the de-facto entertainment on television. The main meat and potatoes of the roleplay would be taking part in one of these up and coming teams, and dealing with the life on the Wargames side.

But life on the Wargames circuit isn't really cheap, but luckily for the many fine people who operate Wargames, there are many people who are willing to offer rent to own services for those who cannot afford them on a Warfighter salary. Especially if your on a team that doesn't often rake in constant championship wins, it's up to the Warfighter to maintain their weapons to be combat capable, there's no charity. Even the simtech rounds aren't free, although offered at a slight discount to Warfighters for the obvious reasons of advertising.

While it is indeed 'non-lethal' in the sense of any life altering injuries, there is the very pure and honest fact that real guns are firing bullets that make very real bang, and while the impact may not kill, the psychological strain can often wear people down just like in real combat situations. PTSD can be a problem, depending on how each and every warfighter rationalizes the situation. There has been many a rumor that the whole thing is just a giant debasement of violence and disrespect to armed forces, but militaries have offered more than a few hands of support, with ex-military often help training and actually taking part in the games themselves. This had lead to few various leagues to keep things fair and even.

What is Simtech?

Well, Simtech looks like a normal bullet of whatever caliber it's for, except that the casing is a dark black color and the bullet itself is glowing red. There is no actual penetration, when the bullet hits the body it squashes like a grape and pops in a puff of red. What happens next is the 'simulated' part of simtech, the unique technology emulates the ballistics of the round in question, and basically manipulates the nervous system to give you the feeling of a bullet flip-flopping through your gut with none of the life threatening and mortal injury with all of the pain involved! It sounds just as pleasant as it really is, rounds to the head, chest and other vital areas generally render the person unconscious.

This can lead to the feeling of shock, but nobody has died from it yet. Ex-military and current military have commented that it is incredibly unnerving to be shot without the actual feeling of it, but just about everyone considers it an acceptable drawback.

--
This is an idea I've had for a while, just no real way to fully explain it till now, I suppose. The main concept would be playing a team out, or if there's enough people, multiple teams against each other and playing out the scenes while dealing with whatever else you want to, outside of the battlefield. Could be team drama, romance, just remember the main part of this is combat stuff. I intend to impart some basic realism into the actual roleplay itself, since these are real guns shooting bullets that simulate the pain of a real one, you'd have to use some common sense.

But if anyone has any questions, any show of interest, please post below. If it gets big enough, I might be able to finally use that sub-forum that's been languishing in the dust.

My general idea was playing through a team going through and doing the games, crawling up the rankings and such. I have a bunch of random ideas in terms of say, handling management of the team, weapons..attachments or what have you. But supposing we'll see how it goes, any feedback is appreciated..or suggestions, those can do just fine too.

Given my current heavy involvement in (and the fact that I'm running) two group games, not sure if I'd be able to participate, but I will say that I think this idea has a lot potential and is pretty interesting. I think some really dark and twisted psychology could come into play with characters and plot devices that could indeed be pretty amazing if you did things right. For example, I think you could bring in the idea of people conditioning themselves to more or less no longer suffer the effects of simtech, thus rendering them almost cold and emotionless. You can have another angle (whether this is coupled with the other one or not makes no difference) where you suddenly have a group that brings in REAL weaponry. Re-introducing REAL LETHAL weapons back into the mix. That could cause a real mindfuck with those conditioned to handle non-fatal warfare. And be a real WTF to those who've learned to condition themselves if they suddenly have to truly face death. Anyway, just some things to ponder. :)

Hmm. Seem interesting, and as stated above, you could take this in a number of different directions--and not necessarily to the exclusion of others. There could be teams that have the bright and glamorous arena-star experience that Simtech promises to its best players, while others are just as good at what they do, but are suffering from some of the negative side-effects from participating in the events and using the technology over a number of years.

I can't say that there is a right way to go about this, but there is definitely room for individual, personal narratives against the background of "life in the league".

That's generally my plan, in terms of say..getting into the setting. Even though it's not really hugely different from the modern day, it still helps to start an atmosphere from a 'new guy' perspective when it's new for everyone. There's lots of ways to run with it, but I think for now the best and easiest way to get everyone acclimated would be said underdog team, and doing the basic stuff..so if anyone wanted to branch out to maybe their character not being able to 'cut it' as it were, they can or will be able to.

So we have four/five people, counting myself. Should be good enough in terms of a team.

At the moment, I'm gonna go on a limb and say that I'll just GM/DM/Whatever you call it. The opposite side, that's the only thing I can currently think of.

Letting you all know (since I also redirected it for a day) in case you didn't notice, things are starting to settle in over in the subforum!

Back
Top Bottom