Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Were Awareness Foundation - Basement

darkangel76

.:The Vampiric Fae:.
Supporter
1zx6t5l.jpg

WERE AWARENESS FOUNDATION (WAF) - BASEMENT
Location: Castle, Southeastern corner, Located just off the Dungeons

ev416x.png
f4hhev.gif

Name: Emilia Jane Harrison (Em, Emmie)
House/Year: Hufflepuff/3rd Year
Blood Type: Muggle-born
Wand: Holly, 9 in, Unicorn Hair, Springy
Broom: Doesn't have one.
Attire: Hufflepuff uniform
Travel: Not Applicable
Tagging: Professor Lupin

Emilia's eyes went wide as she entered the labs for the Were Awareness Foundation. She hadn't been quite sure what to expect. Biting down nervously on her lip, she turned about the room, taking in everything that she saw. She wondered what sorts of research they did and she found herself eager to learn more, realizing just how little she truly knew.

"What sorts of research goes on in here, Professor Lupin?" Emilia asked, her lips turning up into a small smile as she rubbed her arms a little from the cold dampness of the Dungeons. "I'd like to learn more. Please?" She looked up at the tall man with a hopeful expression spreading across her face. She hoped she could be of use, that she could truly help and learn. It would be nice to mean something, to do something important. It was what she wanted, what she needed.

ev416x.png
f4hhev.gif

Emilia's eyes were wide as she listened to Professor Lupin describe the finer details of his work. She had no idea so much had gone on behind the scenes. It definitely sounded like something she needed to be a part of. The idea of people being unable to afford themselves help... it bothered her, upset her. And if she could help. She wanted to. Even if her contributions were small, she hoped it made some sort of difference.

"A cure?" Emilia whispered. "Oh my..." She had no idea a cure was even being researched. "Do you really think it could be possible, Professor?" Looking up at the man, she found herself admiring his goal and dedication. She hoped it could be achieved and what's more, that he'd allow her to help him in finding it... however that might be since she had so much to learn.

ev416x.png
f4hhev.gif

Emilia bit down on her lip and looked down at the floor. Her cheeks felt hot and she suddenly felt rather small. Of course she wanted to help. But the thing was, she wasn't sure how much help she could be. Even a small contribution would be nice, make her feel useful, like she was making some sort of a difference. But would that be enough in the grand scheme of things? She had no idea... and she was feeling doubts rise within. Not wanting to let them get the better of her, she looked at Professor Lupin and nodded.

"Yes, very much so, please. I would. I'm a fast learner and like learning in general. If you're willing to teach me, I'd like the chance to try and contribute in some way."

Emilia knew she had to sound rather feeble in her plea. But it was the best she could do. If Professor Lupin didn't want her help, she'd understand. It wouldn't be the first time rejection came her way and probably wouldn't be the last time either. Bracing herself, she clasped her hands together and sucked in a sharp breath as she waited for what he'd say.

ev416x.png
f4hhev.gif

Emilia stood there silently as she thought about what she could possibly offer in terms of help. Yes, she was a fast learn. But what could she do straight off?

"Well, I'm majoring in Magizoology with a minor in Herbology," Emilia began.

Oh, she felt so silly saying it out loud. What help was any of that? Looking down at the floor again, she didn't think it would be of much, if any. Suddenly, she furrowed her brows in thought. Perhaps the Herbology could be useful. Maybe, just maybe she could help with the potion making? Do some extra research in what could help provide a cure? If research and results had already been done, maybe she could take a look and see if she could make sense of it with what she was already learning about some of the more obscure plants with odd and magical properties...

"I've started studies on some of the more obscure plants. And this year I'm taking the second level class. Maybe that can help in some way with your research for finding a cure?"

Emilia paused and licked her lips, her face more determined than ever. Her eyes expressive, hopeful.

"As for credit? I don't care about that. I..." Emilia's voice trailed. "I just want to do something that helps people. Something that makes a difference for someone."

Emilia knew her cheeks were red and that her freckles that she hated were standing out. And though she wanted to cover her face, a habit she had when she tended to giggle, she knew she needed to stand her ground at this moment. She was being very serious in her offer and to be rejected now... she didn't think she could take that even though she'd faced it before. For some reason, this time, it would be different. It would crush her spirit in a way nothing had before.

ev416x.png
f4hhev.gif

Emilia was beginning to feel like it had been silly to even ask Professor Lupin in the first place. To even think that she could offer some sort of help without knowing what sort of help she could truly offer. She was only a third year after all and having heart just wasn't enough these days. One needed experience and she just didn't have that. Not yet. And though she really wanted to help, she was starting to think that perhaps she just wasn't the sort people needed.

Her eyes suddenly felt wet and she wanted to run away and let her emotions take over. But, she couldn't do that. Not in front of a professor. What would he think?

Nodding, holding back everything she was feeling inside, Emilia just nodded. "All right, Professor. I will. And I scored an O in my OWLs in Potions back in the states... if that matters." She paused, her eyes fixed on the ground. She found that she couldn't look at him for fear that her emotions would get the better of her. "But I'll come back tomorrow."

Emilia wanted to add... And I'm sorry if I'm wasting your time. She truly felt like she was now and that he was merely being kind to her, trying to give her hope when there really wasn't any to be had. It was kind of him to try, but her nerves were whispering to her and telling her that all was lost, that she wasn't wanted nor of any use.

"I promise to work really hard and prove my dedication if you give me the chance, Professor. I won't let you down," Emilia added, her voice soft. Almost a whisper. At that she ran through the door and up the stair, tears spilling down her cheeks as she did so.

(Exit to the Ground Floor Corridors)

ev416x.png
f4hhev.gif

Attire: Simple green A-line dress with spaghetti straps and matching heels

Emilia heard Professor Lupin's muffled voice call out from the other side of the door. From the sound of it, he seemed almost annoyed. She hoped she wasn't bothering him. He'd definitely seemed to be in a hurry to leave the mixer and she had an idea as to why, but still... Biting down on her lip, she set her jaw and pushed open the door and walked into the labs for the second time that evening. They seemed even colder this time, though she supposed part of that was due to the time of day and another part was due to her attire.

As Emilia hesitantly made her way across the room, she noticed that Professor Lupin was actually working. Working? She supposed she could understand that to a degree. If her hunches were indeed correct, no doubt he wanted to work every waking moment on finding a cure. She couldn't fault nor blame him there. She just hoped she wasn't interrupting his train of thought. And she hoped even more that the information she found would be helpful, useful and not old news.

"Professor?" Emilia began, her voice suddenly shy and nervous once more. So different than how she'd been earlier on when they'd talked at the mixer. "I... well, that is to say... uh... well..." At that, she paused and took a deep breath and slowly let out an exhale. "After you left the mixer, I took it upon myself to go to the library and do a bit of research." Her cheeks went a bit pink as she spoke. "I found out something I've never heard of before regarding Lycanthropy and the Wolfsbane Potion. I'm not sure if it's something you've tried before or not, but I can tell you it's nothing I've heard of before and it was in a book that wasn't even related to anything pertinent to the studies for a cure. I found it totally by chance." She paused and looked down at the floor. "Actually, by accident... Anyway, it's about Belladonna, Professor." She looked at him hopefully, her eyes wide as she did. "There wasn't much to go by, but apparently, if used properly Belladonna in conjunction with Wolfsbane, may indeed cure Lycanthropy. It has done so before. But it doesn't always work. Apparently it's very specific per case, but still... I thought it might be useful..."

ev416x.png
f4hhev.gif

Emilia let out a sigh and just nodded. "All right. I'd just never heard of it before and thought it might help. Especially since there have been cases where it's cured people of Lycanthropy." She paused and looked at the floor. "I should've known you'd have tried that," she added with a sad yet nervous giggle. "Anyway, I won't bother you further tonight. You seem busy." She glanced up at all the tubes and other such things strewn about the bench tops. "And I have no desire to go back to the mixer. I think I'll just head back to the dorms and stop by tomorrow after class. I hope I haven't broken your concentration as it is." She looked up at Professor Lupin and gave him a weak smile, her arms wrapping around herself as she stood there. "I promise to try harder next time."

ev416x.png
f4hhev.gif

Emilia had started for the door, but turned when Professor Lupin had started to speak. She stood there quietly, looking at him as he gave her words of encouragement and asked her to stay a bit. Stay? Just then, she rubbed her arms a little, to stave off the chill and dampness of the dungeons, and smiled at him. It was nice that someone actually wanted her company. As she smiled, she could feel the heat rising in her cheeks and knew they were turning a bit red. She wondered if her freckles stood out as well. Knowing her luck, they probably were. Oh if only she could hide her face.

"You are hardly old, Professor," Emilia said as she moved to sit down, her indication that she was accepting his offer to stay for a bit longer. "You are refined and distinguished and anyone who says otherwise just isn't looking properly." She averted her eyes suddenly and looked at the stones of the floor. "Besides, I can't remember having better conversation with anyone than I've had with you in a good long while." She looked over at him again and smiled once more, a nervous giggle accompanying it. "It's hard to find people you can converse with so freely and easily."

ev416x.png
f4hhev.gif

Emilia watched as Professor Lupin put his things away and then sit down in a very relaxed manner. He seemed much more at home and comfortable in his lab than he did up at the mixer and she had to admit it made her feel more at ease seeing him that way. She also liked that he seemed genuinely interested in getting to know her. Not many ever seemed to care, except for her newest friend Samson.

Smiling, Emilia giggled a bit. "I'm sure it would." She paused and tilted her head a moment as she looked at Professor Lupin. "Well," she began. "I love animals. It's why I'm studying Magizoology. I especially love felines and canines of all breeds and hope to specialize later on." Her cheeks reddened a bit. "And then there are plants. I have a knack for making things grow..." Her voice trailed a little and she looked down at the floor. "There are other things, but what about you, Professor?"

ev416x.png
f4hhev.gif

Emilia just smiled inwardly as Professor Lupin mentioned his love for both reading and sleeping. Little did he know, she too actually enjoyed Shakespeare. She enjoyed other authors as well such as Poe and Austen and several more. Being muggle-born, she'd been exposed to several muggle authors and as such had quite a few whose books she rather liked reading several times over. When he suddenly changed topics to plants, she had to stifle her giggle. Finally, she nodded.

"I'd love to," Emilia said, her cheeks slightly pink. Standing up she moved toward the stairs that led to the lower area below the labs that Professor Lupin was gesturing towards. The area in which he claimed to be keeping some plants. She wondered what he kept down there other than probably the obvious wolfsbane.

(Exit to the WAF sub-basement)

ev416x.png
f4hhev.gif

Attire: Hufflepuff uniform, school robes.
Tagging: Anyone

(After Professor Alexander's Muggle Studies class, just before dinner)

Emilia knocked on the door and slowly pushed it open. "Professor Lupin?" she called out, her voice soft and hesitant. "You wanted me to meet you here before dinner?" She was still holding on to the parchment. Letting the door close behind her, she walked further into the room and adjusted her bag on her shoulder. As she walked into the room, she swallowed and bit down on her lip. Thoughts of the other night when she'd made such an idiot of herself with the Amaranth flooded her mind and she hoped she didn't repeat said behaviors this time around.

ev416x.png
f4hhev.gif

Emilia tilted her head and her lips quirked up into a small smile the moment she caught sight of Professor Lupin. She let out a tiny breath she hadn't realized she'd been holding as she'd begun walking into the room and she felt her heart speed up just a bit more. Licking her lips, she set down her bag and then took off her robes. Normally, she felt so cold in the Dungeons, but for some reason she felt oddly warm. Biting down on her lip for a brief moment, she felt a wave of nervousness wash over her as she wondered if the Amaranth plant was nearby and perhaps she'd accidentally bumped it with her bag. Of course, that was ridiculous and she knew it. The plants were downstairs and she was being paranoid. Swallowing, she then sat down on one of the chairs.

"Well, my course load isn't too bad this year, Professor. And I should be able to handle it fairly well based on how things went today." Emilia looked at her hands for a moment. "I will be staying over the holidays, so I can also help out then as well if you'd like. But, I should be able to put in a few hours a night at least without too much trouble," she added. "If it becomes a problem, I'd be sure to tell you and cut back my hours accordingly."

ev416x.png
f4hhev.gif

Emilia nodded as she listened to Professor Lupin. Everything he was saying seemed more than reasonable to her. After all, this was delicate research and for something she knew that had the potential for danger. She knew he was trying to keep her safety in mind and for that she was grateful. "I understand, Professor. I assure you, I'll be very careful and take very good notes while working with you. And I'll practice very good lab procedure too." She looked at him with hopeful eyes, eyes showing him that she was determined and would try her best. After all, not only did she want to make herself feel useful and like she could make a small difference to someone, but she wanted to make him proud as well. Hindering him was the last thing she wanted to do if she could help it. "And on those occasions you're away, I'll be fine on my own. I believe I can manage." Of course, she was a bit afraid of how she'd do, but she hoped she'd be fine, at least over time after she got comfortable and familiar with everything. She was just glad that Professor Lupin still wanted her to work with him given her silly and embarrassing display the other night. It said something about his character. Just then, she realized she was smiling at him and immediately, she looked down at her lap. "If I'm ever worried about something, Professor, I'll come to you about it..." she then added. "I promise. Better to ask than do something foolish..." She closed her eyes briefly as she thought on the Amaranth. Looking back up at him, she smiled and let out a short breath showing her slight nervousness. "I'd really rather avoid any silly accidents."

ev416x.png
f4hhev.gif

Emilia nodded in understanding. "I promise, Professor. I won't go there." Though a part of her hoped that one day, Professor Lupin would trust her enough to take her there himself. Of course, she had no idea if such a day would ever come, but she hoped for it nonetheless. She understood the dangers and knew why he didn't want her to go there, that it was because those housed there underwent the transformation from human to werewolf. But with the strides made in Were research and the availability of Wolfsbane, she hoped it would make the conditions a bit more welcoming to someone such as herself. Besides, she'd like to show her support if possible. But she supposed that would be something to be brought up at a later time. Not now.

"And I promise not to do anything like that while you are gone. Paper and quill only. Got it," Emilia then repeated. She definitely didn't want to take a chance and potentially destroy Professor Lupin's lab while he was gone. She'd be mortified if such a thing occurred. Giving him a nod, she understood he'd have to be gone for a bit. Work called. People called. That was the way of things. "And no, I do understand that you have to be away. I'll manage," she said as her gaze returned to her lap. "I won't let you down. If I can make a difference, even in a small way. I'd like to have the chance to try." She looked back up at him and smiled again. "Thank you for this opportunity. I really appreciate it."

ev416x.png
f4hhev.gif

Emilia nodded and smiled. "That sounds fine and should work well with my schedule, Professor." She blushed a bit. "I don't mind coming down here for dinner," she said. And she didn't.

Emilia didn't mind immersing herself in the research Professor Lupin was expecting her to do, plus, being a shy person, she didn't mind being somewhere much quieter than the Great Hall. She only had a very few select close friends, such as Ryan Sullivan for one. But they also had their own lives and other friends, not to mention weren't even in her own house. So she didn't hang out with them too overly frequently, typically choosing to be by herself instead. Plus, she actually enjoyed Professo Lupin's company. She had enjoyed her time with him at the mixer... even if that had ended in awkward embarrassment. Though fortunately he hadn't let that affect his opinion of her, which made her opinion of him that much higher. The downfall... it made her thoughts about those awkward moments that much stronger.

"And I don't mind working hard, Professor. But I'll try to keep things balanced." Emilia smiled at Professor Lupin. "I think that's something I can manage," she then added, giggling softly, covering her mouth as she did so.

ev416x.png
f4hhev.gif

(After Professor Alexander's Muggle Studies class, dinner)

Emilia tilted her head and smiled as she watched the interaction between Professor Lupin and the little House Elf. Being a Muggle-born, the only time she interacted with the tiny creatures was when she attended school. She definitely appreciated them and all they did, knowing just how much work they did. Watching Professor Lupin with this one said a lot about him as he gave the creature a warm smiled and gave him a tender pat on the head. It warmed her to see that, such care for something so simple as delivering dinner. Yes, it spoke volumes of the man he was.

"Well," Emilia said softly. "Looks like he outdid himself. This looks wonderful." Biting down on her lip, she smiled at Professor Lupin and then looked down at her lap.

ev416x.png
f4hhev.gif

Emilia nodded in understanding as Professor Lupin explained a bit about Ploo Cloo the House Elf's history. She felt for the poor little creature as she listened to his story. No being, big or small, should have to go through such a thing. No one deserved to be treated so poorly, to be abused or ignored. She knew what it was like to be neglected, to be treated as different, but to be struck like Ploo Cloo had? She could only begin to imagine and the very thought sent shivers along her spine. "It's good of you to be so kind toward him, Professor," she said. "So patient. I don't think so many would be even if they like to think they would be. Personally," she looked over at him. "I think it says quite a lot. And I agree. It isn't fair. At all. Everyone deserves a chance and everyone deserves kindness."

ev416x.png
f4hhev.gif

Emilia's cheeks turned a bit pink. "Honestly, Professor," she began to giggle softly. "I believe I got sorted into Hufflepuff because I hadn't been sure where I belonged at the time of my sorting. I know that probably sounds silly." She looked down at her lap just then. "I know it sounds silly to me when I say it out loud. But, back in primary, I recall being so unsure of myself and not knowing where I belonged. In the end, I ended up in house Hufflepuff. I hadn't been sorry about the choice I'd made and being the sort I am, I stuck with that into secondary. I suppose you could call me stubborn there." Again, she giggled. "Though interestingly, my closest friend here at Secondary is a Slytherin. Ryan Sullivan. So it's interesting you bring up I should've been sorted into that house."

ev416x.png
f4hhev.gif

Emilia blushed and immediately started eating. The food was absolutely delicious and the expressions on her face as she ate said as much. As she nibbled on her food, she also listened intently to everything Professor Lupin had to say regarding sorting and houses. Nodding, she found herself agreeing with a fair amount of what he had to say. She hadn't thought on it before, but she had to admit he was quite right in everything. In some ways it made her wonder why they bothered sorting anyone at all. Perhaps it was just a means of fostering a sense of community while at school. But she couldn't be certain. "It makes one wonder why they sort us, Professor," she then stated. "I have to admit it is something I've wondered a time or two, but I've never dwelled much on the topic. But you bringing it up now, it has me thinking. Why sort? I suppose there's some good in it. It does provide a sense of community to a degree, but at the same time each house has its strengths and weaknesses, its pros and cons. I don't know. Maybe I'm over thinking." At that she giggled a bit and nibbled some more at her food.

ev416x.png
f4hhev.gif

Emilia nodded as Professor Lupin explained the reasons behind sorting. It made perfect sense and it made her glad she'd asked the question. She liked the fact that she could ask him such things and that he could provide her such insightful answers. And not once did he make her feel silly for inquiring or for not having an answer. It made her feel like a part of the conversation, like her presence mattered in some way and that was nice. It was one of the reasons why she'd enjoyed talking with him at the mixer the night prior and why she knew it would be a good experience overall working for him... if only she could get the Amaranth incident fully out of her mind.

"Must've been an interesting time," Emilia then said. "Before the war, I mean." She paused a moment as she ate a bit more, her plate nearly empty now. "I'm glad to not have had to deal with such dark times, of course, but to have witnessed first hand some of those things. Must've been quite a thing to see and experience, I'm sure. Scary, but interesting." Again she paused as she set her fork down and wiped her mouth with her napkin. "And tolerance is something we see too little of even now. Sadly, I don't just see it with blood status. Being a Muggle-born, I understand that angle quite well. But it's everywhere. I think that's partly why I'm drawn to your research, Professor." She felt her cheeks get a bit warm at the admission and her eyes suddenly rested on her lap.

ev416x.png
f4hhev.gif

Emilia smiled and tilted her head a little. "No, don't be sorry, Professor. I'm enjoying the conversation," she admitted. "It's not often I get to speak so freely like this with anyone. As I've told you, I don't talk to very many people. I guess you could call me shy..." her voice trailed and she stared at her lap for a moment, giggling softly. "And I only find it easy to talk to a few and..." again her voice trailed. "I find it easy to talk to you, Professor." She looked over at him, her cheeks going pink at the admission. "The things you say, your take on things, your history... I wish you could see it from my perspective. How interesting it is, I mean." Once again she looked at her lap. "If I sound silly, I apologize."

ev416x.png
f4hhev.gif

Emilia smiled appreciatively and nodded, quickly finishing up her dinner and wiping up her mouth once done. She then pushed her plate aside and stood up. "Well, I'm definitely ready to get started, Professor. So please lead the way," she said as she picked up her things and slung her bag over her shoulder.

ev416x.png
f4hhev.gif

Emilia followed Professor Lupin as he led the way down the stairs leading to the lower levels of his lab. She remembered it from the other night when he'd wanted to show her his plants. She remembered it from when she'd seen and smelled the Amaranth... just then she blushed. Trying not to dwell on it, she continued to follow him down the stairs.

(Exits to the WAF Sub-Basement)

Back
Top Bottom