Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Alberta Bill 2

Hahvoc The Decepticon

Singularity
So apparently there is a bill being brought about by the Canadian Government that states that homeschoolers cannot be taught that the bible is true and must be taught about PC views and tolerance for different lifestyles. This is turning into a very controversial issue. Here's a link. I personally think the the Government shouldn't have to stick their nose into it, but this is just like...really...? You shouldn't force your kids to believe what you believe either. -shrugs- I dunno. I'm pretty moderate on this whole thing.

http://www.hslda.org/elert/archive/2012/0/20120308154921.asp

As an Alberta resident, this is more to avoid something that you guys down south have. Basically, it disallows fundamentalist beliefs to compromise the educational system.

I am a believer in the right to freely practice your religion, but religion has no place in educational standards and what children are expected to be taught. Religion (in my humble opinion) can freely be taught alongside any educational beliefs, but our social and educational world requires individuals to understand the mechanics of society. Creating a standard does limit what can and cannot be taught, but the rest of the world is still there despite whether or not you teach your children about it. This simply ensures that the individuals being taught can operate in a world where the bible is not the only source of rules or regulations.

my ¢2

It sounds to me like they are trying to regulate homeschooling to be like...Regular school! Ho shit. I think it's a pretty equal ideal and I think that it'll pass without a problem, to be honest. I've just noticed how a lot of the protestors put "tolerance" in quotes like it's a joke.

There are a number of concerns on both side of this bill. Part of it has to do with religion and other parts have to do with amendments to the education act that home-schooling is exempt from. It's more of a blanket education bill, but it's got problems when it comes to what deemed legal in the home.

Basically if a teacher teaches something that is in some way religiously intolerant (homosexuality being/not being a sin, for an example) then that teacher would be breaking the law. If a child is home-schooled and taught that homosexuality is a sin, then the parent who is acting as a teacher may be charged under the new laws. Whereas if the parent taught this to their child and that child were in public school, the parent couldn't be charged. It comes down to what can be taught in the home.

This brings up a series of debates, but really, people just don't want to be told what they can teach their kid. It becomes a religious/non-secular nightmare for the government.

Back
Top Bottom