Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Utah passes bill that bans sex ed in classrooms

miles

Super-Earth
The GOP gets more out of touch every day...

Most parents hope that teens will hold off on having sex, so most would agree that, when it comes to sex education, encouraging abstinence is important. But lawmakers in Utah have taken the ideal to the extreme, passing a bill this week that would make it illegal to talk about premarital sex, sexuality in general, homosexuality, and contraception, even in terms of preventing sexually transmitted diseases -- and even if a student asks a specific question about any of those topics. ....

State Senator Pat Jones, a Democrat, called the bill "a mandate against reality" and pointed out that in Utah, students do not automatically take sex ed classes -- parents who want their kids enrolled must opt in to the programs. But with this new mandate, school districts could eliminate the class entirely; those that do decide to offer a sex ed class will be required by law to only talk about abstinence.

http://shine.yahoo.com/parenting/utah-passes-bill-banning-sex-education-schools-225800102.html

If their kids get knocked up because they don't know any better, guess who's gonna be left holding the bag?

They actually pass that. I swear everyday I live I feel more like I'm in a dream rather then reality.

Wolf_Demon said:
They actually pass that. I swear everyday I live I feel more like I'm in a dream rather then reality.

Soon you'll be ready to take the red pill and get unplugged.

Mormons get enough sex education at home(j/k). What's sad about this is that the state flooded the Governor & the House with petitions wanting them not to pass it, but they chose to ignore the people....as usual.

It's a local issue. If the state and local school boards don't want to spend scarce education dollars on fluff, they don't need too. If someone wants their kids to learn about sex on the public dollar, all they have to do is get enough like-minded people to vote for board members that agree with them. Alternatively, they can move somewhere that offers the curriculum they want their little bastards to study.

Disclaimer: I don't live in Utah, have never lived in Utah, and will never live in Utah. Therefore, I don't really care what Utahians do.

RoryN said:
Wolf_Demon said:

Soon you'll be ready to take the red pill and get unplugged.

Mormons get enough sex education at home(j/k). What's sad about this is that the state flooded the Governor & the House with petitions wanting them not to pass it, but they chose to ignore the people....as usual.

This is what we called not wanting to get re-elected like the governor of Virgin and Ohio.

phrodeau said:
It's a local issue. If the state and local school boards don't want to spend scarce education dollars on fluff, they don't need too. If someone wants their kids to learn about sex on the public dollar, all they have to do is get enough like-minded people to vote for board members that agree with them. Alternatively, they can move somewhere that offers the curriculum they want their little bastards to study.

Disclaimer: I don't live in Utah, have never lived in Utah, and will never live in Utah. Therefore, I don't really care what Utahians do.

Typically conservative states don't spend much on "fluff" like sex education. Or they spend money on abstinence-only education.

Top 10 states with highest teen birth rates:

Mississippi
New Mexico
Texas
Arkansas
Arizona
Oklahoma
Nevada
Tennessee
Kentucky
Georgia

How many blue states do we see here?

We should care what Utah teaches, it's not like they all stay in Utah. And it just brings down the over all intelligence of the population.

miles said:
Typically conservative states don't spend much on "fluff" like sex education. Or they spend money on abstinence-only education.

Mississippi
New Mexico
Texas
Arkansas
Arizona
Oklahoma
Nevada
Tennessee
Kentucky
Georgia

So what? It's the government's job to control the age at which a citizen is allowed to reproduce? Maybe the government should also limit the number of children each couple can have. And breed out imperfections. Maybe an IQ test and a license to bang?

Keep your government to yourself.

Ugh......No comment. Fucking governmental retard-pigs.

phrodeau said:
So what? It's the government's job to control the age at which a citizen is allowed to reproduce? Maybe the government should also limit the number of children each couple can have. And breed out imperfections. Maybe an IQ test and a license to bang?

You're an idiot. None of what you say there has anything to do with the simple fact that conservatives don't like to inform individuals of the potential dangers sexual activity could have. They would rather everyone live in ignorance then know. Forcing people to know that a condom makes is less likely to get an STI or become pregnant is not tantamount to IQ test of breeding licence.

What a way to fall down a slippery slope of your own creation.

phrodeau said:

I never suggested anything of the sort. Funny you should imply that I did.
I'm saying that watered-down sex ed curriculum correlates with higher incidences of teen pregnancy. Research shows that most children do not get sufficient information about sex at home and many get virtually no information at all. This is why sex ed is so important. Our children's sexuality has life-shattering potential which is why I profoundly disagree with anyone dismissing it as mere fluff.

I'm also saying conservatives who oppose sex education actually do know better. But they choose their ideology over reality, thereby fostering ignorance in children. And then the children pay dearly, especially the girls.

miles said:
phrodeau said:

Mississippi
New Mexico
Texas
Arkansas
Arizona
Oklahoma
Nevada
Tennessee
Kentucky
Georgia

Your implication here is that those states are a bunch of dumb, hick, conservative states who don't know any better.

Maybe that's true, but it's the citizens of those state's right to be dumb, hicks and conservatives and the more liberals like you look down their nose at them, the more of a parody of your position you become.

Wow would this mean that teachers caught talking about sex may have to sign the state's Sex Offenders Register, or whatever the equivalent is? Way to go and take the education out of school.

phrodeau said:
miles said:
phrodeau said:

Mississippi
New Mexico
Texas
Arkansas
Arizona
Oklahoma
Nevada
Tennessee
Kentucky
Georgia

Your implication here is that those states are a bunch of dumb, hick, conservative states who don't know any better.

Maybe that's true, but it's the citizens of those state's right to be dumb, hicks and conservatives and the more liberals like you look down their nose at them, the more of a parody of your position you become.

Wow, I didn't get anything of the sort from what miles was saying. So, really stop making things up. Your the only one using those words that there dumb and hicks. Miles was just stating a simple fact not insulting anyone in the process. Oh and one more things how do you for sure he a liberal? There more out their then conservative and liberal out there for all you know he a moderate, but you just assume he is a liberal. Maybe, you should actually spend time reading and gathering facts to counter his argument. Then spending your time blindly attacking someone.

Kentuckian! So yeah my county and the few surrounding spent money revamping our sex ed classes and also decided to start them younger. they were offered in middle school at seventh grade, NOW they are being started in fifth grade. I as a parent think that it's a good idea and a smart move on our part. My daughter is five and has already had questions, we answer her question and offer no more than what she has asked simply because she is five and don't really want her repeating the surprises on the bus or to her kindergarten class. Though when she is in fifth grade I plan on sitting her down and talking to her, I feel it is my job as a parent to personally inform my child.

I understand where our state is on the top ten and with several nieces (12-16) pregnant OR with kids it is alarming. I prefer not to have my daughter where her cousins are because I failed her as a parent. Not that I am blaming anyone BUT the parent in these cases. I do feel if the school isn't providing it the parent should. If you are too embarrassed to talk about sex with your kid then there is a whole different set of issues at play here.

Back
Top Bottom