Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

A ethical question I hope is intruging

Kuragari Layfalete

Meteorite
Now many times I have asked many of my friends this question. From your stand point. Which do you(the reader of this post) think would lead to a better world. If everyone lived by emotions and their gut instincts, or if people lived their entire life completely subjective and neutral. I hope this becomes a heated debate.

I don't believe that you can do either or. It has to be a balance of the two. However just like emotional thinking, logical thinking is dependant on the perspective of the person. For example, in my opinion it isnt logical to try to care for those who are unwilling to care for themselves. Yet there are those who believe it is logical. And I think you meant objective instead of subjective.

It is imperative that he try to operate under an objective standard so as to avoid that natural impulse of not trusting anyone directly from our tribe.

Emotionally we as a beast of nature are prone to tribal thinking which is entirely based upon emotion and gut instincts as it is based around what is comfortable and how anything new, whether ideas or people are often met with open hostility because they are Other.

This is rather pointless discussion which won't become heated at all.

Not really, sociopaths more don't know what is morally right or wrong. They don't have any concept of what they should and should not do. Without emotion? That's just a robot, or someone with autism to a certain degree, though autism encompasses a lot more defects than simply a logic only thought pattern.

As for my belief on the subject...emotions are destructive, to live as only objective and neutral is dull and without meaning. You might as well melt your brain into silicon and make yourself a PC, because that is all the good you will be. As frequently said, a moderated combination of both will make the better world, more importantly coupled with intelligence and tolerance.

Wishful thinking though, humanity is simply useless.

Features of a Sociopath Might wanna look at the emotions part. Thing is, they do know what is right and wrong, but don't give a shit because it doesn't serve their purpose or wants in life. I looked into the profile of the BTK killer and other serial killers. BTK was head of the PTA, local soccer team, and married with two kids or three kids. He also found women to bind, torture, and then kill. Hence the name.

But that's totally off-topic.

Robots still mess up. Gotta love faulty programming!

Meeeh, I still can't totally agree. Emotion does form a cornerstone of a lot of what they do. Maybe they do know what is right or wrong, but it never factors in to a decision, like you said.

Of course faulty programming, made by faulty people!

And here I was scared that the post wouldn't catch fire. Well if a robot had faulty programming wouldn't that simply he the fault of the designer?

They emulate emotions.

And robots with faulty programming isn't always the designers fault. Sometimes the handlers mess up the package.

Of course faulty programming, made by faulty people!

Not true. It only takes one wrong key stroke to take down an entire program. It has nothing to do with whether the programmer is "faulty".

No offense to the OP, but I fail to see this as a question of ethics. This seems more a question of preference and frankly, the answer is going to vary. Many will say objectivity will lead to a better world, and others will claim the other side.

The way I see it, if people lived objectively, most things would get done a lot more quickly. Because - as necessary as emotions might be - sometimes they hinder our ability to achieve. On the flip side, certain things would probably come to a standstill; this is the only scenario where ethics might come into consideration.

Example 1: Abortion - Should it be done?

Objective world: A short-lived debate explaining the pros and cons (no religious interference, since objectivity would implicitly express a rejection of a higher power), would likely create a conditional law so that people couldn't abuse the system if one or both screwed up in protection.

Subjective world: The current situation we have now surrounding this issue

Example 2: Thermonuclear energy - Viable or not?

Objective world (Assuming fresh discovery of thermonuclear fission as an energy source): Sees it as extremely powerful energy source, but byproducts of contained fission reaction are extremely dangerous to the public. The use of this fuel source would likely be brought to a screeching halt, since the pros and cons kind of balance each other and thus building of plants wouldn't make any progress.

Subjective world: Would build a few plants, but no more than that. Protests would occur to fight the use of dangerous materials in civilian power production, causing some of the plants to be shut down.

Just a few examples to help fortify my case. Of course, these are merely my own speculations, and thus are subject to a certain amount of bias, but I tried to write them as honestly as possible. So, take them with a grain of salt, if you will.

But the point I'm trying to make is.......Whether people live objectively or subjectively is their choice. It's not really a question of ethics, more one of human nature and personal preference.

This isn't really an ethical debate, it's more a question of perspective. Should we do things based on subjective, emotional rationalizations? Or, alternatively, should we base every decision on objective, detached perspective (some would say skeptical or scientific...)

My personal belief is that we're all forced to take on both. We'll never actually attain a complete a completely subjective or objective view, though I would personally suggest that 99% of society leans heavily to the subjective side of the argument.

Personally I am a sports official, at a very high level, and my role is to provide an unbiased, objective ruling based on technical criteria. This technical criteria is based on elements of control and clear technical guidelines that dictate the ruling of points in the sport. In some cases, however, the ruling is to provide an objective, unbiased ruling based on appreciation above and beyond a simple technical criteria. So even when everything is laid out in technical, objective rules and regulations - an element of appreciation is always required to satisfy that part of the psyche that goes "that was sweet."

Look at gymnastics or figure skating. There are clear, concise applications of rules and regulations that ensure that athletes meet the technical elements that have been identified by the organizing committees as important for the sport. There is also a very subjective sense of art, synchronization (which is both appealing and difficult to achieve technically) and the elements of grace and athleticism. None of those are technical elements, but something that makes us as a species go "wow, I can't do that. It's amazing."

Subjectivity is possibly what separates us from the lower life forms on the planet. We can appreciate people, items, places, concepts and ideas above and beyond a categorical analysis of everything. It is impossible to become emotionally detached from everything because we have learned to assign preferences based on emotional reactions. We get scared because something is dangerous. We enjoy sex because it feels good. Both of these are important evolutionary steps to ensure that we, as a species, survived by learning to run away from Sabre Toothed Tigers and then procreating to pass the time.

In terms of humanity, neither one is better than the other. We need both to ensure our survival as a species. Scientific process is a fantastic means to ask questions that need to be asked in a way that outside influence cannot skew the answer. Skepticism is a good means of removing personal biases and fulfilling a criteria that can be agreed upon by a great number of people by simply stating "Once you have all the facts, gravity is what holds us to the earth." The only way to refute a completely objective statement is to apply a subjective statement. It's the subjective nature of the statement that makes it completely unanswerable because it requires to change the perspective of the person making the statement. Would a person of another perspective make that same statement? Possibly or possibly not. It's impossible to tell and therefore impossible to prove otherwise.

In short, you can't have one without the other as a human being. We're not built on 100% logic. As long as we assign personal thoughts, preference and we trigger the electrochemical signals we interpret as emotions - we'll never be 100 logical. If we were 100% objective we'd be forced to assign priorities on human life, which people should be allowed to breed, the arts would fail and people would become drones because subjectivity is harmful to objectivity. Our values are basically the subjective will of society as we are raised and applied with technical, objective criteria that can (theoretically) be applied in a non-subjective manner. Only one or the other would be ruinous to our species.

So that all said, a healthy dose of both is best.

Back
Top Bottom