Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

NYC Sex Ed. Curriculum

Hahvoc The Decepticon

Singularity
http://articles.cnn.com/2011-10-25/us/us_new-york-sex-ed_1_sexual-education-abstinence-curriculum?_s=PM:US

http://www.foxnews.com/on-air/hannity/2011/10/26/new-york-citys-shocking-recommended-sex-ed-curriculum

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/nyc/sex-education-schools-15142.htm

Personally, I think this is a good idea. As much as I shudder at 11 year olds learning this shit, I'd rather my kids be knowledgeable about all this junk. I'm tired of them saying, "Don't have sex, it's bad." It's not bad, the consequences of STDs and Pregnancy are/can be bad. So seriously, I'd rather have my future kids in a school system where they actually TEACH sex education.

Thoughts?

While I do think parents should teach their kids what they can, it's good to have the supplement of a formal setting where such things are taught and discussed. It's probably easier on the kid talking to someone who isn't their parent (since that can make them feel awkward) not to mention objective of such situations. It'll allow the kid to discuss things more freely and probably learn more as a result. Parents, while they can be knowledgeable, don't know everything. Plus, since some parents try to avoid the topic all together or preach abstinence only, it's good for it to be addressed in a way where it WILL be addressed, no questions. Teaching them the pros and the cons, safety vs stupidity, the joys and the sorrows. It's a mix of things and all should be learned.

My father and I never had much of a relationship. My mother is so gosh golly darn innocent she won't even be in the same room as her kids when two people on TV are kissing. Neither of my parents ever spoke to me about sex, neither about the birds and the bees nor any of the more mature things. I learned everything on my own along the way, with Sex Ed eventually filling in the blanks.

Sex Ed is imperative. A lot of kids out there are given nothing of an explanation by their parents, or only a partial explanation due to the parents being uncomfortable going past a certain point, or a partial explanation due to the parents not knowing certain things themselves, or sometimes even information that's flat out wrong.

Abstinence is fantastic. Safe sex is also a stellar secondary option. I've seen research done on schools that preach safe sex in addition to abstinence compared to schools that only preach abstinence. The schools that did not talk to students about safe sex, offer condoms, etc, had a huge jump in teen pregnancies. It's nature. 'round that age people are gonna fuck, and a lot of smart judgement is based on hindsight, which they do not yet have.

I'm fine with eleven and twelve year olds learning that kind of stuff because that's when feelings start to manifest. That's middle school age. In middle school, teach 'em the basics. In high school you go over the rest.

Non-issue.

I gotta agree with you, ADF. However, a lot of parents are too stuck in their "beliefs" that kids shouldn't have sex around that age and therefore, they won't! But that's bullshit and honestly think that preaching just abstinence will keep kids from banging.

Discussing abstinence is fine. But saying it's the only way? Just plain silliness. It's called burying your head in the sand and not realizing that a majority will just experiment for the sake of it regardless. It's like illegal drinking. People say don't do it.... wait... so, they go out and get blitzed. Same story over and over. I think it's better to give kids a well-rounded and decently informed class on such things. I also don't see it as undermining parental authority. More that it adds to the education. And a good parent should want their child educated in all facets and in all ways. It's the good parent that knows their shortcomings and the good parent that wants their kids informed on things regardless of topic.

I'm a full supporter of abstinence over safe sex (when you're underage), but there's a point where you have to acknowledge your responsibilities as a parent may from time to time require you to teach your child (or allow them to be taught) about things outside of your own personal beliefs. Idealism, all that, it's a great thing, but even greater than a parent's right is their responsibility to see their child is prepared for the world.

In a world where being sixteen and pregnant means you get your own TV show, ensuring teens have an awareness of STDs, of how getting knocked up actually alters their life, and an access to rubbers is pretty darn important if you ask me.

Here's a better example of why kids need the talk about the birds and the bees. I give you this.

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j-z3Y0dxKY[/video]

Skip to about 2:35 to find out why.

My parents didn't 'hide' anything sexual from me, beyond what they believed I was mature enough to handle. This meant I knew what sex was and what it could do, but not the actual nitty gritty details (I knew it was something between a male and female, and it could get the woman pregnant), before I was 10. I was in 5th grade (1994) when my school ran it's sex ed classes. There were no graphic descriptions of the act or how to do it, just anatomical diagrams of the anatomy of each gender, as well as drawn pictures of different stages of pregnancy. This was the same all the way through to 8th grade, with it being done each year until that point. I think it makes little difference to what early teens do, with the exception of they are more aware of the consequences, even if they don't care until it's too late.

Back
Top Bottom