Upgraded

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was over.

Everything was quiet now; Guilty Spark's incessant chirping was silenced, the vicious hunger of the flood was destroyed. Halo was gone.

It was all over.

A single blue light blinked on the useless control panels of the Forward Unto Dawn, the only immediate sign of life on the frigate; the Chief had gone into cryonic sleep, realistic enough to be aware that the chances of rescue were slim despite the beacon she had put out.

They could drift for years.

"Wake me up if you need me."

Those were the last words he had said to her before he went into suspended animation, and not for the first time, Cortana found herself with the strange thought that she may never see the Chief again. It was, after all, the curse of smart A.I. - their existences were limited, and Cortana knew that she was nearing the end of the predicted lifespan for her design.

She would die soon.

She wasn't scared.

But she hoped she wasn't alone when it happened.

She passed the time on the Dawn by carding through the ship's remaining data, reading and absorbing and compiling information as they drifted listlessly, a journey that would last for nearly two months; it was near the end of the fifty-fifth day that Cortana located a signal through the frigate's communications system. It was distant and vague, but there was no mistaking the sound of an ally ship - the UNSC Opportunity had picked up their distress signal; recovery was imminent.

Cortana took steps to gently restore the Chief from cryogenic sleep, Opportunity came knocking, and after that, it was a straight shot back to Earth; predictably, UNSC medics approached John with the caution they always approached Spartans with, while technicians handled her data chip.

"This thing is pretty old." he remarked, looking over the chip; another man peered over his shoulder; they put Cortana into their system.

"Be careful with it." he said, "Apparently the Spartan wants it back."

"We can give him a new one; this one is pretty out-dated."

Data began to scroll over the screen at a vast, phenomenal speed while the technicians watched, stunned; amidst the blur of information, several letters stood out boldly:

I
H E A R D
T H A T

One of the technicians winced,

"It's talking to us."

"I've never seen anything like this; even the most advanced smart A.I. don't have this kind of database."

"I guess there's a reason he's attached to this one."

Though she presently had no physical form, the A.I. smiled to herself, a smug bend of electricity within the console of the Opportunity.

More letters stood out.

C O R T A N A

"We could use her as a basis for future designs," one said, "Cortana. Jesus, I've heard of this one."

"She's nearing the end of her program life; we could, you know. Transfer her over."

"Over to what?"

"Well, we've got a beta design that we've needed a personality for, don't we?"

There was a long silence, and the two men shared a knowing smile between them.

"I'll miss you."

Those had been the last words he heard her say before John-117 had slipped in to the darkness of cold, artifical sleep.

If he were to give his opinion to others, which he wasn't inclined to do, he would say that he and Cortana had a very special relationship. It was nothing romantic, or anything odd like that. It was that kind of relationship that grew between the closest of friends. Of course, that was to be expected. Ever since the Pillar of Autumn, John had been trusted with making sure that the AI was safe from the hands of the Covenant. Yet, over time it had somehow become a mutual trust and working relationship. It would be no exaggeration to say that the infamous Master Chief wouldn't have survived past his crash-landing on the first of the Halos discovered by humanity if Cortana hadn't been there to help him.

Yet once they had accomplished this mission . . . it had suddenly been over. He put her chip in to a data column and then climbed in to one of the stasis pods aboard the ship. Darkness had consumed his mind within minutes of that hatch sealing itself.

All was dark.

However, now suddenly John felt the familiar burning tingle across his skin that came from going in to suspended animation with clothes on. Slowly, he began to open his eyes, and they adjusted to the light as he saw figures standing outside the battered and bruised stasis pod that he had called "home" for the last . . . how long had it been? Without Cortana's ever present voice in his ear, John couldn't help but feel lost as he blinked the bleariness from his eyes and began to flex his fingers and toes to restore feeling until the engineers decided his signs were good enough to fully open the pod.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom