Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

"YOU MAD BRO" is considered racist... Really?

BlisteredBlood

The Crucified Angel
http://www.mostwatchedtoday.com/tag/fox-news-you-mad-bro/

My personal opinion on this matter: You know, this is what happens when the news of today is seen scrimping for anything outside of the normal myriad of current developments. In this particular case, it all started at an Ohio high school football game when some people held up a particular sign that contained the infamous slang mainly because of the fact that their team was getting beaten rather severely. Apparently now, there's going to be a "full investigation" going to be launched to look into this matter at the school by the NAACP into what could be racial intimidation since according to them, the word "bro" in their minds relates to black people when in reality, it's a slang term used by frat boys under the age of 30.

There are no words here. I'm honestly dumbfounded by what I've read here. But, there is one thing I can now say to the entire state of Ohio and to you, Fox News.

Y U MAD THO? And Fox News, you're white knighting over something that has little bearing on you in hopes you'll get a better Nielsen rating for the week.

Your thoughts on this, people?

The phrase may be annoying as all hell, but it isn't even remotely racist. It's just a bunch of ignorant people harking over a trivial manner, because they can't help but fuck the dirty, nasty thing in the corner. If you keep fucking it it's never going to go away. How can anyone expect racial tensions to go away if we constantly have to bring it up? Outside of legitimate racism, the only time racism should be brought up is in humor, and the kind of humor that "everyone" can laugh at. In that way it allows us to reflect on how silly and ignorant racism is-- comedy is a great tool for social commentary. The thing here is that Fox News' journalism is comically bad, but it's not the sort of comedy that does anyone any good.

Furthermore, just to put it out there, is there a worse news organization than Fox? Isn't it bad (on Fox's part) that I feel more comfortable accepting the political views and commentary of two comedians on Comedy Central over anything Fox News has to say?

In this instance Mitsu, the one thing I have to say in regards to that is this. The kind of comedy you're referring to is what's known as Dead Baby Comedy. The kind of comedy where it's far too edgy to laugh at and you're left looking over your shoulders, pondering if you're permitted to laugh. And even if you do, it's one of those nervous chuckles you hear every once in a while. Since this is Fox News we're talking about, I feel as though this shouldn't come as a surprise, but the fact that they would cover this as a story not only is absolutely hilarious in retrospect, but it's also grab-your-hair-and-rip-it-out-by-the-roots annoying in reality.

For your question, like I said. I'm not in the least bit surprised you would say that. Besides, I'm still pondering if their ratings are going to tank even worse over trivial matters such as this.

I don't see most racial comedy as "Dead Baby Comedy". It's only too edgy when the person making the joke isn't good at making such a joke. There are also other boundaries, such as the race of the person telling the joke, but when those boundaries are crossed, it's not really comedy-- the joke isn't much of a joke anymore. From my own personal experience, I can't recall any racial comedy that left me feeling awkward. I think it really boils down to the tone of the joke, the way it is presented, and the mentality of the person listening. I can say one thing, you can say the same, and somehow it was funny when you said it, but not when I did. Although, this is really a discussion for another thread.

On one hand I wish Fox News would just be dissolved. On the other hand I understand that wouldn't be a great idea, because many people would lose their jobs-- you don't dismantle a corporation like that and expect it to be positive. It's just that they are so horrible at what they do, and they have so many "personalities" that are so blatantly ignorant that it's mind numbing. What's worse is that people actually buy into the complete bullshit that spews from Fox. I seriously think sources of information such as that one are a poison to society. I wouldn't blame them for all of the problems, or all of the stupid people, but I do think that society would be better off without that sort of journalism. The quicker their ratings die, the better off we all are.

This seems to be getting off topic. Again.

News stories, no matter who presents them, that are stupid are just that: Stupid. The people who present them are told, "Hey, it's a story, do it." Regardless of how stupid it is, they'll still report it as some "BIG HUGE INCIDENT."

This racial slur bullshit is getting out of hand.

COME AT ME, BRO.

Btws,

Urban Dictionary is the Wikipedia of slang, and therefore LEGIT.

It's basically a 'Dead Donkey' story. Dead Donkey is what the news media call a story that would be put in at the end of the nightly news as a time filler if there's nothing left to talk about. Of course, as Fox News, CNN, MSNBC and HLN all have the entire day and night to fill, it is only natural for all these Dead Donkey stories to see the light of day.

Yes, it's taking offense where none was initially taken. On that much I agree.

Should we care about it being used at all? I for one don't care. Slang is slang. It changes over time and things that were once common parlance become old-fashioned almost overnight now.

(And as an aside, comparing the Urban Dictionary to Wikipedia isn't really doing the Urban Dictionary any favors, as Wikipedia's articles are editable by anyone with internet access and a keyboard. At least Urban Dictionary has some level of verification in place. I for one only use Wikipedia for the basics, and then I follow reference links to verify what is said before using the information verbatim.)

All I can say is wow.

Black people don't even call themselves bro, they call themselves brothers. And even then, not everything is about race. I feel bad for those kids who are apart of this "investigation".

They should have painted a troll face on that sign. U mad, Faux news?

Mr Master said:
That's not racist, that's surfer.
I grew up roughly a hundred feet from the Jersey shore. I use 'dude,' and to a lesser extent 'bro,' at the same rate that most people use a comma.

Beautiful Disgrace said:
Faux news
This.

I had a thought today. Aren't the ones claiming it to be a racist term actually the ones being racist here? Because it clearly isn't, and could only be mistaken as such through one's own ignorance?

I can't tell if they're the ones being racist/profiling through their accusation or if it's more of an unacceptable hypersensitivity. Or is dwelling on it simply being petty? I can't decide.

But yes, as Sapphic stated, it's a weak story to begin with.

Back
Top Bottom