Joining the Suns (for Skylar)

It was that time again. Recruits had to be tested to see if they were worthy of joining the illustrious Blue Suns group that controlled much of the Skyllian Verge. The conscription this time had mainly humans and batarians as was usual along with a few salarians, turians, and even one krogan. Each one was dressed in uniform recruit suits that provided a better amount of armor than normal clothing but not by much.

One of the humans was a dark skinned, dark haired man who stood considerably shorter than the Krogan and a few of the others. Sadly it was a symptom of his upbringing not allowing him the proper nutrition to reach his best eligible height. He didn't even look all that imposing with his shotgun on his leg and heavy pistol on his thigh. That was what helped him so often in the field. It was what would help him right now as well.

A Blue Suns member was watching from above and this training area had many cameras set about. The place was over a mile long and had many obstacles to hide behind and grant tactical advantage to the recruits. A signal was given and the recruits began to run into the long training area so as to get to the best hiding spots for when the training (and culling) actually began. Given ten minutes to get into position the bell was rung and the competition begun.

Jaidev was pretty lucky, all things considered. His first opponent was taken out with a shot to the head, the ammo they were given popping against the side of the man's head and splattering into a blue spot. This caused the man's weapons and armor to deactivate and showed who shot him and at what time.

With his Vanguard training in full effect Jaidev didn't stay hidden long. A few bursts of his shockwave ability sent several people who were in hiding flying, allowing him to pop off a couple of shots onto them before they fell. Once he spied a group of people who had conspired to work together he placed the Carnifex Hand Cannon to his side and brought up his shotgun. A Charge into their ranks sent a few sprawling and those who were still surprised got shotgun marks in the face and chest before Jaidev used his Charge ability to gain better ground. The fighting was intense and brutal but ended with three people who were not injured at all during the fight and seven who had been injured non-life threateningly.

Finally Jaidev was brought to the forefront of the recruits along with a female Turian and another male batarian. They stood in front of the seven who had been injured, which in turn were followed by the hierarchy of who had survived the longest in the training. The Blue Suns wouldn't turn down capable cannon fodder, at least. The Indian human looked grim and determined instead of arrogant or full of himself. He just hoped whoever was going to grade them was pleased with the results.

Andros, a rather high ranked commander within the Blue Suns, watched the recruits with full intent from above. The only recruits that really caught his eye were the krogan and the turians. He might've been a little more interested in any of the humans if his expectation for them was an average of being a meatshield and habing a shot no straighter than a circle. Andros peered over the balcony where he watched from above with a few other officers, all lower ranked; a batarian, two salarian engineers, and surprisingly, a human. Though all Andros really wanted to do at the moment is turn around, grab the human, and chuck him off the balcony; he kept his focus upon the recruits.

Andros smirked, expecting everyone to be pretty much mowed down by the krogan during this little... audition, though the word was a little cliche for this. Andros heard the bell rang and leaned up against the railing, only him in the balcony now. The rest of the officers had just been here to make sure no one had anything to break the rules of this audition. Now that Andros was the only one left, he could fully focus upon the recruits.

You could say the turian was absolutely stunned. A human?! Down on the mock battlefield, there was a human vanguard that was absolutely hauling ass. Of course, there was also a female turian sniping all who got close from behind her cover, and a male batarian who was using his fully automatic weapons to steal cover after cover... but his eyes were riveted upon the human. He was the smallest and scrawniest of the humans that he had expected to absolutely fail... yet there was the end, and him, the female turian. and male batarian stood un harmed.

Too lazy to take stairs, Andros leaped off the balcony, his armor taking the fall damage. The shields recharged as he walked towards the recruits, no helmet on. He stopped about fifteen feet away. They had started with 100 recruits.
"If you were shot within the first 60 men, leave now! You are of no use to the Blue Suns."
60 batarians, turians, and humans alll grumbled and left. That left 30 men who had been shot, 7 who had been injured but not killed (including the krogan), and the top three.
"Everypme except you three, go find an officer at the door to get your bunk assignments. Congratulations, your in."
There were various cheers and a roar from the 37 men who left for their bunks. (OOC: FYI- By men, I mean soldiers. So men=males and females.) He looked at the three left.

"I am very impressed," he said. A grin spread across his face. "You three manages to come out on top. I expected that of you," he said to the turian female, shaking her hand. He moved onto the batarian. "You did stellar. I knew you could." The batarian and turian left, leaving just Andros and the Indian human. "But you? I thought you would fail miserably. Your too small, too scrawny. Yet... you kicked and hauled ass out there. You make me proud."

Jaidev didn't give any indication of taking insult from his new commander for the assumption. Most people would not look at the Indian man and assume vanguard material, which often worked in his favor. "I hope I have at least shown that I will work well in the Suns, sir. I believe my abilities will benefit whatever team I eventually get to work on."

Looking at the Turian Jaidev gave a bit of a confused glance as they began to walk, "Excuse any sounding impertinence or stupidity, but I was under the impression that the Blue Suns was mainly Batarians and Humans in the leadership rank. I am surprised to see a Turian in such a high rank. Was it very tough to get to where you are, sir?" His voice sounded old in the way that spoke of seeing too much in too short a time. A kind of voice that usually only Salarians, Humans, and the occasional genius Vorcha ever showed. Asari and Krogan either were sheltered or were used to seeing things that were difficult.

Jaidev would listen to whatever his superior deigned to tell him, weathering any insults or questions about his capabilities with a stoicism bordering on a mystic's level. Nothing seemed to phase him, or he had a great stone face. He began to idly replace the painted, marked ammunition that had been packed into clips for the training exercise and replacing them with actual bullets and shells to keep him prepared for any violence that might just break out on Omega. Anything could happen upon the neon-ridden hell-utopia they were all heading back to.

Eventually the brown skinned human would thank his superior for whatever knowledge he was given, even if it had been riddled with racism that was very common between the species in space. "I think I need to relax after this. Once I get back to Omega I'll head to some bar or another. And let that asshole Volus know I am going to be moving out of her piss poor excuse for a hotel. I swear the rats could kill a Vorcha."

With a surprising flourish, Jaidev gave a smile before getting on the ship to take the successful top recruits back to Omega, not relishing the fate of what he knew was the collection of cannon fodder troops that had been left selected. He could smell the fate on them: the pungent smell of laser burnt flesh, the dismal ozone of a biotic ravaged scene mixed with fear and shock from those who are ripped asunder by the very forces he wielded, emotions of anger, regret, repentance, hate, and release left after a particularly strong battle, and most of all the way it all blended together in some sort of synaesthetic maelstrom.

He was silent on the way back, listening to the praise and rigmarole that was the bread and butter of the recruitment phase. Every mercenary group had one. Sure, it was like food: every culture had it's own way of preparing and serving them. But it all boiled down to such similar concepts. Having been a part of-or a thorn in the side of-so many in his short years gave him a good view on this. He even checked everything off as it went on: You are good, but this is just the beginning? Check. You will be pushed harder than you ever have before. Check. We are not like (insert our biggest competitor(s)) in this. Check. It was reassuring.

After they got to Omega he got off the ship only to be followed by the Krogan. He got close to an exit before being turned around by the big man. Taking in the scene he looked around and saw what was going on. Machismo. There was that Turian superior and a few of the Batarian higher ups. No human higher ups, which meant he was the best looking target to get revenge on. Of course.

"I don't know how you cheated, human, but I know you did. I'm nearly two hundred years old. I have forgotten more battles than you'll ever see. You should not have gotten that shot in on me." The Krogan reassured himself in front of everyone, just loud enough to draw attention.

"I did not cheat, krogan. I utilized my battling skills. The fact you were sloppy enough to not notice me standing in front of you before I charged you is not my fault. Perhaps you need more training in calculating risks?" Jaidev gave a little smirk at this.

The Krogan gave a roar and swung a fist at Jaidev, connecting with a crunch against his jaw. Or, at least, there was a crunch. Jaidev stood with a glowing blue field about him with the Krogan's fist at his chin. There was a small field about the fist that started closing, crushing the bones in the hand. "See? I told you." Jaidev then reeled his head back to get momentum, his head rushing forward to smash into the Krogan's. Letting the biotic field dissipate allowed the larger man to fall to the ground.

Andros waited for the human's reaction. Hearing nothing but respect, he grinned a little. Well, at least he wasn't working with a group full of disobedient little cubs that he would only be able to use at mestshield. Even then, the last batch of such 'meatshields' had fled before they could actually do any 'shielding'. "I can see that. I will make sure your abilities are used to the fullest exponention."

Andros turned his head to look at the Indian, returning the confused look with a simple grin. The turian chuckled softly. "Hard to get where I am is an understatement. I've had to haul ass for years, becoming one of the greatest commanders this group has ever seen. And I'll be damned if I'm not," he said. Shrugging, "Yes, it was hard. It has taken me years of service within this group, dealing a load of Hell and receiving little to no damage to myself or the small squad I work with."

The turian was not in need of a large squad. The one he commanded was mostly on stealth; though they had experts on long range and close combat. Andros was proficient in both kinds, seeing as how he needed to absolutely be a lethal force out in the battlefield to even come close to where he was. In all honesty, Andros was even a tad jealous of Jaidev. With the skills Jaidev already had, and seeing as
how he was human; he was likely to climb the ranks fast.

As Jaidev thanked him, Andros gave a small handshake. "Of course. I will see you soon though, don't you worry about that." One could swear that if you were paying attention, one could see a bit of a mischievous smirk upon the Turian's face as Jaidev's transport took off.

Andros took a separate transport back to Omega with a few other officers, not bothering to sit. The turian was so used to space travel now that he could simply stand in nearly any situation (unless of course, the ship overturned in a gravity-implemented situation.) Andros' transport finally landed, and as he stepped off, he could see the krogan approaching Jaidev. Oh goodie.

As the krogan roared and made his miniature speech, most heads were turned in the general direction; expecting quite a fight. Of course though, Jaidev did what he seemed to quite excel at: surprising everyone. Andros watched the krogan fall to the ground and gave a few small claps, walking towards Jaidev. A few joined in; mostly humans, and some parts of Andros' squad. Everyone else went back to their business. Andros looked over at a batarian officer, who got two recruits to help him with the injured and rather unconscious krogan.

As one would expect a tongue-lashing from Andros, as was his record to do so frequently, he gave a bit of his own surprise to his squad ny doing quite the opposite. "Well, Jaidev. You are either the bravest recruit I have ever seen or the absolute dumbest. Let's say brave and keep your reputation going, eh?" Andros chuckled softly.

"We dont have any current operations, so c'mon. Let's head down to a bar, I'll buy you a drink. Id like a word or two with you," he said. "Meet me at Afterlife in an hour."

Andros was right on time; he always was. Franky though, he was five minutes early, but there was no hurt in that. He sat down at the main bar in the room, now dressed in more casual clothes; though he still had a Carnifex strapped to his leg. You could never be sure of anything on Omega. Ever.

It was a bit surprising to be asked out to a bar by a new boss. Perhaps they wouldn't truly be working together. Or maybe he had made an impression that he was trouble and a rival and he was going to try and kill him. Perhaps Jaidev was just paranoid. "Sure thing boss."

Heading back to his apartments netted him a run in with a Vorcha pack that shared a room, a sad Quarian, and his blathering land lady. Not that he spoke to any of them of course, just the general bumping into them and nodding. In his room he stripped down of the under armor and his guns. Grabbing some normal off the clock wear he placed it on, adjusting his shotgun into the compact and concealable form and strapping on the normal Carnifex.

An hour later he was in the bar. Music thumping and people dancing on the floor above himself. He did hope his captain had chosen down here in the quieter spots. A wave of relief went over to him before being bumped into by a Batarian.

There was a little conflict but Jaidev quelled it by openly admitting that his two eyed sight couldn't match the wisdom of a four eyed being which got them to admit he was humble about his position and that they would leave a "good" human alone.

Finally getting to his boss he sat down and ordered a Volus Scrambler, i.e. a water-mixed orange infused concoction of nearly pure alcohol. The thing was supposed to burn off the Volus skin if thrown on them in their native environment, but who knew for sure.

"Hey boss, what is the honor of being called out here by you for?" No smile graced his face but he didn't appear angry, just calm and waiting.

Andros looked up as he saw the small quabble between Jaidev and the batarian before it was all dismissed. The turian shrugged it off as Jaidev approached and sat beside him. He grinned, a tad surprised the lad would order such strong alcohol. For a turian, that was understandable. A human? My my, this would be interesting.

"Occasion? A mere chat," he said, taking a sip of his own drink. "Don't get many these days unfortunately," the turian retorted, setting down his beverage. "The reason I invite you here is quite simple. You are a human, which honestly, no offense; I think are wastes of space. But you are a human who actually manages to kick ass, unlike a majority of his race," he said with a smirk. The turian chuckled softly and finished off his own drink.

"What's your secret, Jaidev? How long've you been fighting?" Andros asked, ordering another drink for himself. He looked over at the Indian. "Well?"

Ah, there it was. The racism. "To be honest I doubt you have seen all human fighters. I will admit several are not the best, and very many are bad, but for a culture that is not entirely predicated on war, we do well. Honestly we have more in common with your people and Salarians: more corrupt than full of battle prowess against others." There was a cynical smirk after he finished.

When his drink arrived he took a sip, "You have to realize humans are a very egocentric race. I am sure many are like that-at first. Perhaps it is just more prevalent with us. It is a hard time when your way of life is shattered; you are no longer the most important one, your religion that has centered just on you is now meaningless if you think about it...or truer than ever and all aliens are inferior because your imaginary friend made you in his image. That equates for some of it: Humans underestimate other races. Vorcha are simple and target practice, Turians are uppity and cruel, Asari are feminazis, the list goes on and on. It's retarded, but it hurts a lot of them a lot less than thinking "maybe we're equal. Maybe I'm not so special," which is the truth. With stupidity comes mistakes. It has been years, so many years, but too many people cling to it."

His drink was now half finished, "I'm talking too much, but I am just trying to explain. Humans are cruel, tortuous beings. We prey on ourselves relentlessly, or used to more before we saw other races. We are much like the Krogan in that respect, only less honorable about it. So, pretty much, many humans suck because of egos and idiocy fostered by a willful ignorance to assert fragile paradigms of identity."

When asked about where he learned to fight he shrugged, "If it is okay with you I'll just keep that to myself. Let's just allow my results to speak for themselves, okay? Besides, with an attitude that I'm a waste of space I'm afraid you'll use it against me, BOSS."

The turian listened to his miniature speech with a bemused smile. Defiance. Absolutely delicious. Its like he's given this lecture a thousand times, he jested to himself in the privacy of his own mind. His smirk didn't waver even through that turians were 'Uppity and cruel' part, because honestly; he of all people could understand that.

Andros shrugged. "Well, at least you actually know what you're talking about," he said with a soft chuckle. "I, for one, am honestly one rough commander when it comes to battle. So you better live up to what you've set." He smirked, downing half of his second drink with a erratic breath as he exhaled the strong, alcoholic aftertaste.

"That's fine with me Jaidev. I respect that. Just no funny business when it gets down to combat, alright? I expect you to do better than you did during the recruiting," the turian said with a halfhearted shrug. "Of course, your real battle skills are yet to be seen. Honestly, I cannot wait to see how you fight in the real deal. I'm fairly eager," he said with a wholehearted grin. Twas' true, Andros was indeed very glad to have this recruit into the Blue Suns. He showed potential unlike any other he'd seen in recent times. Recruitment had been rather slow.

"But back to the matter of business here," he said laxly. "So, Jaidev. What were you doing before the Blue Suns, eh?" the turian asked curiously. Andros was indeed interested in getting to know the human, as he seemed interesting enough to draw out a chat or two on occasion. Better than screwing around and patrolling about a Suns base.

"Ah, I see you are still trying to get to my past? Curious for someone who hates humans. Why such an interest in me? Afraid I'll end up taking your job or hurting you? To be honest I was an untrained biotic who was such a danger to himself and others that I was sent to Else Military Biotic Holding Ward when I was four. I didn't gain competent sentience until I was twenty, in that year I devoured all knowledge of every species histories, languages, etiquette, and culture. I then spent seven years honing my killing powers by hunting down rogue villain Rachnai." His delivery was completely deadpan, a silence held in the air to assess how Andros would take it.

"I've just survived. Off the books mercenary, biotic trainer, less...favorable positions, whatever would get me money enough to scrape by. I spend my time laying low. If you stay off radars you don't get killed." If Jaidev would give emotions there would be traces of having a life way more exciting than it should have been. He wasn't an expert at Turian ages but he guessed Andros was a bit younger than him-a few years maybe-but still had that bravado, the feeling of freedom and power belonging to such a group brought. There was more, of course, if he was getting everything correct.

His drink was gone with the sweet alcohol tendrils racing through his body thanks to it. Muscles relaxed visibly even with such an open racist right next to him. "How about you, boss? What have you done before you joined the Suns? You look pretty young, what are you, twenty-two, twenty-four? You must be a big badass to get where you have so quickly."

Andros smirked and shrugged. "Flattery. I'm twenty three," he said, waving it off like it was nothing. "I'm no badass, just... just have practice with this stuff. I was born into a Blue Suns family. My mom worked constantly off world and my dad was in the Blue Suns. I was born a marksman. I've been handling rifles since year six," he said, finishing his drink. The effects of the alcohol were hardly dabbing the surface of Andros, whom of which ordered another drink.

"I was trained to take my father's spot when he died. I turned out even better than him from the start. Age ten and I was learning how to handle anti-matter precision rifles and the likes. Fifteen and I was almost a master of close quarters as well. Yes, I've come a long way, though I hav an advantage most don't. Being born as a Blue Sun. When it comes to rank though, my history didn't matter. Only my skill got me to where I stand today."

Andros fondled the Carnifex on his leg. "So, yeah. I'm better with long range than close, though an Adrenaline Rush kicks arse when in close range... able to land multiple head-shots in seconds. It often does come in handy," Andros said.

"It wasn't entirely flattery. I'm not great with Turian, Asari, or Krogan ages. Asari because who knows, Krogans because who cares, and Turians because you bastards never. Ever. Show. It." His tone had changed inflection slightly, not with any hostility or humor, just somehow different. Perhaps this was his try at humor. If so he had a long, long way to go.

"That is interesting." He began to feel jealous of Andros. Having been sold into virtual slavery by his own parents had relegated him to many years of uncommon living. True, he was as much if not more of a breathing weapon than the Turian sitting next to him but he also hadn't lived like Andros had. There hadn't been anyone beside him complimenting him on his shots or someone telling him how to best throw a punch. He had seen the same woman looking down at him each time he came back from a mission and saying just loud enough he could hear "Didn't have the decency to die."

"You are really lucky, having a family like that. Many people have to pay exorbitant amounts of money to have what you have. Bartender, one chilled Sagittarius please." Jaidev exhaled as he looked at the dance floor above them. It seemed to be a great song or DJ or maybe some Face had come and it was time to be seen.

"I'm sorry for getting in. I'm sure you'd much rather be charming that Turian gal that worked out so well instead of some old human guy. Anyway, is this when you pull a gun on me and decide I'm more trouble than I'm worth?"

The turian burst into general laughter. "Kill you? I'm afraid even that would be hard, even for me to kill you. No, you are every bit as worth it as the trouble packaged with you." He smirked softly. Totally switching subjects, "No, we don't show age. We're too lazy." Andros gave a grin and bottomed his... fifth drink now? He had lost count after... two, maybe? Not that it mattered; he could take alcohol like it was candy and have no problem.

"Quite honestly, I don't care to go off charming girls. It's just not an idea that appeals to me,"
he said. "One minute, you look at a girl like she's the reward for all your efforts. Next, she dismisses everything you've done for her and leaves you in the dust, moving onto the next guy she'll disappoint." He expression faltered for a moment as he took a sip from his newest drink. One would honestly think that quite frankly, he was drunk by now. Far from it, actually

"But no. I think a night out is just what I need," he said, relaxing in his chair. "Getting away from duties for a little bit." Andros shifted his gaze to the human once more. "Anything you'd like to do?"

Jaidev listened to the minute rant about women. It sounded like the typical male bravado about the 'fairer' sex that many humans had come to abandon a while back. After seeing Krogan, Asari, and Turian women kicking ass across the galaxy keeping your own women behind the lines was retarded. The misogyny bred into the culture had taken longer to go away and still held prominence in many ways of thinking.

"I see. No offense, boss, but I am not sure hanging out with an openly racist Turian is the best bet for a night out on the town. I am glad you were open with that, but hostilities have a way of being raised and I'd rather live the rest of my life away from vapid hatred that boils down to insecurities." In that insult there was a small grain of a hint about Jaidev's life, if the Turian was capable enough to catch it and not get insulted.

He finished off his drink before sending the tab to his credit holdings, the digital currency whittled away to pay for actual services. It seemed so arbitrary-just made up rules to keep all the children playing nice unless they decided they wanted more made up currency to lord over the other players in the game. His small introspective epiphany shattered as he deigned to go back to reality. "Thank you for the offer though, boss."

Andros managed to catch the hint without taking too large portion of the insult personally. Finishing down his seventh and final drink, he paid for his stuff and stood. "Yes, well, I'm glad you haven't bitched about me being so open," he jested, a hint of sarcasm in his voice. "I'll be heading off. I have some more Suns work to do. The meticulous stuff."

And with that, the Turian left the bar. Wandering his way back to the base after taking a cab, he remained totally silent. It wasn't a surprise, however; he wasn't one to talk to himself. Usually. If he was arguing bitterly with himself over some failure, then yes, talking to himself became commonplace. Anywhom, after the author described this tendency, Andros had made his way to his bunk. Screwing with his omni-tool, he was filing data and such for the newer recruits.

He didn't actually open any files. That was personal shit; he'd find that stuff out himself. Andros finished and laid back in his bunk, his bunkmate walking in. A batarian commander. The two were not enemies; but not friends. Just acquaintances. They would chat idly into the night.

When the Turian left Jaidev continued his waiting about at the bar. This time he got to slowly enjoy his drink instead of tossing it back in a few gulps so as to dull the aches of the day. The music above changed cadence to something he could mildly enjoy as the effects of the intoxicant drifted into his body. He couldn't say exactly when he paid and left but eventually his senses came back to him on the way to his apartment.

A ritual before bed commenced as the owner became tired. A shotgun right beside the bed, his submachine gun under his pillow, and the carnifex strapped to his leg. It was a bit of extreme paranoia to those who were normal but for Jaidev this was survival. In many ways it was all he knew. Another one of the reasons he didn't have many sexual partners was their refusal or reluctance about his arming of the sleeping area at night. The few times he had acquiesced to a partner he had not been able to sleep well, if at all, and awoken feeling miserable.

Part of him wished for the stability of this place. He could now complete his checking of the guns and arming of the perimeter in just a few minutes. He'd be able to tell what was out of place and perhaps even when it had been moved. Stability just wasn't going to be part of his short life. It was time to move on and settle in someplace new.

The next morning came to soon. Jaidev ended up at the Blue Suns facility for even more labor and introductory items. He was now wearing a full suit of Blue Suns protective armor that had a place for every one of his guns and a great shield generator unlike the flimsy scout ops gear they had been given for early training purposes. He and the other two special recruits were again standing apart from the others, each talking amongst themselves as they waited for the commanding officer to arrive.

Back
Top Bottom