Question Conversation screen format

Brokk

Moon
Looking at conversations, on the right side of my web page it has information about them as well as information about the other user. The way it's formatted in my browser means it effectively uses up about 1/3 or my page width, so that the area where I type and read is much smaller. Is there some way to hide that relatively static information on the right or move it so that it doesn't gobble up all that space?

unfortunately, this is just how the site layout is. the width of our messages will always be narrower than our public posts and as of right now, there is no way around it.

personally, i've never really had an issue with this, other than when i am testing code that is wider than the message box itself.

It's more impactful on mobile. On my PC I can just stretch out the window, or even move that part off screen. Mobile doesn't have that same flexibility and the screen is already narrow.

No viewer apps or anything like that which make it more workable either, I assume?

do you mean when you put your phone horizontally? because if you hold it the "right way", the message will fill the whole screen (but yes, it's narrow). when you flip it, you'll see the message as if it would appear on your pc but it will only fill the space available so you'll see the member info to the left. i don't think it's an easy way to make this different, but if is it ~ it's going to be a site-wide change and i don't think that's going to happen anytime soon.

but i wonder, why would you want it wider on your phone? usually, it's easier to read messages when you can just scroll down?

do you mean when you put your phone horizontally? because if you hold it the "right way", the message will fill the whole screen (but yes, it's narrow). when you flip it, you'll see the message as if it would appear on your pc but it will only fill the space available so you'll see the member info to the left. i don't think it's an easy way to make this different, but if is it ~ it's going to be a site-wide change and i don't think that's going to happen anytime soon.

but i wonder, why would you want it wider on your phone? usually, it's easier to read messages when you can just scroll down?

On my device (tablet) roughly 20% of the width on the left is the user who sent the message. 30% on the right is conversation info and participants, leaving about 50% in the middle for the actual message. I'd rather have most of the screen width be the actual message.

Yes, holding it the right way (vertical)

ahhh, yes. that explains it. because on phone that right part doesn't show when you flip it around.
so, basically, you see the pc layout on your tablet, everything is just smaller and the message in the center even narrower.
because even on pc it switches the layout if you make the window narrow enough. so i'll be honest and say that i don't really know how to get around this.
i wish i had a solution, but it seems this is just how the site is developed, to switch layout once the window is narrower than x.

Hah. What irony. Using a device with a wider display so that I can see more, causes it to put junk on both sides so I end up seeing less. (sigh)

Thanks for the help. (Yes, I just verified it was using the mobile version rather than the desktop site)

Back
Top Bottom