Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Sombra Island [sci-fi horror/survival]

Chippairaptor

Just a silly dinosaur-loving weeb

In July 2012 an incident took place on an island off the coast of northern California, known as "Sombra Island". This incident was quietly swept under the rug, and all details of what occurred were purposefully kept hidden from the public. The company involved, known as Tiptree Industries, settled the matter behind closed doors. Nobody paid the company going under any attention. Tiptree Industries had been the third corporation dabbling in nuclear power and particle physics to file for bankruptcy that year. Those that survived the incident were given large settlements in exchange for their silence, while access to Sombra Island was restricted by the US government; the official reason given was that the nuclear reactor Tiptree Industries had constructed had melted down, leaving the island uninhabitable to humans. For eleven years, Sombra Island had been the subject of many conspiracy theories and much speculation.

This changed in August of 2023, when a small group of college-age men and women found themselves stranded on the island after their sailboat was destroyed during a freak weather event. According to the survivors, the boat sank after it was capsized by a combination of wind, and colliding with a rocky outcrop jutting out from the ocean floor. In the course of several weeks, multiple members of the party were killed, and their story was eventually released to the public, revealing what Tiptree Industries--and the US government--had really been doing on Sombra Island.

To put it simply, this RP is heavily inspired by Dino Crisis, with elements of Jurassic Park, Carnosaur, and other examples of dinosaur horror you can find in fiction. What I intend is to play as a group of survivors on this island, and how they survive the creatures of the Cedar Mountain Formation.

sacrifice-evil-bosses.gif

Special note: since this will play on horror movie tropes, any characters who have sex will get killed and/or horrifically maimed.

While I will be playing Mr. (or Ms., I haven't decided yet) Exposition for the dinosaurs, I will also be taking on the role of the dinosaurs themselves; one idea I've tossed around is light use of a D20 to determine if someone survives an encounter (unscathed or wounded), or if they die. As for the dinosaurs themselves, I seek to combine scientific accuracy with homages to paleo-media; for example, Utahraptors are planned to be feathered, but may behave in ways similar to pop culture depictions.

Ideally, I'm looking for a group of six to eight people (you know, for the "dying horrifically like in a creature feature" aspect), but I can live with less. I'd also like some feedback from people interested, in order to make this RP better, as well as someone to help me run things (since I'm not the greatest GM by any means).

Would love to hear comments and criticism of any form. :)

Introducing our first creature: the Geminiraptor.

Geminiraptor_NT_3243.jpg

A small theropod, Geminiraptor are generally skittish and flighty creatures. However, this goes out the window during breeding season, when packs of these animals will form to take down larger prey. While their diet includes leaves, ferns, and berries, their saliva contains proteins that act as anticoagulants. This adaptation allows them to take down larger prey by causing them to bleed to death, allowing them to eat their prey at their leisure.

Height: 2ft (0.61m)
Length: 5 ft (1.52m)
Diet: Omnivorous; will usually target small animals such as rodents, birds, reptiles, and insects, and supplement with plant material; will occasionally hunt larger prey

Back
Top Bottom