Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Using people's ideas for your own request thread

Greetings to anyone reading this,

Since I am new on this site I have made a request thread yet but instead have been browsing other people's threads for ideas. I think it is time I make a thread of my own but I just wanted to ask a few questions regarding threads to make sure I don't break any taboos or annoy people with my thread.

When I read over some threads I have found ideas that I absolutely love, but for one reason or another, the person who has that idea is not available to write them with me. In those cases, is it considered rude to take that idea and throw it into my own request thread? If I do that, would it be better to try and credit the person whose idea I used? Also, if I don't write it in the thread, would it be best to maybe write that person and ask if I can use their idea before posting my own? I don't want to flood people's inboxes, especially if they aren't looking for new partners at that time, but I want to make sure I am being as respectful as possible considering I know how much work people put into their threads and ideas.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

I would 100% say to reach out and ask the person if you can use it in your own thread.

As someone who has had my work stolen time after time (not only plot ideas, but entire request threads, coding and content) I cannot stand seeing someone else use something I made for me without asking first. It's mainly why I don't write on threads much and why I don't pretty up my threads or posts anymore. I got so sick of seeing people take stuff without asking that it kind of killed my love of doing things the way I liked to do them.

Maybe I read too much into it, but in my opinion it's always best to ask rather than assume. I find it incredibly rude when I find my content stolen.

So just strictly speaking upon the rules

13. Plagiarism (the copying of another member's content, includes writing, art, and Request Threads/plot ideas, and claiming them as your own) is not tolerated. This includes posting ideas from other members that you acknowledge are not your own, but that you do not have permission to use.

Taking someones idea is against the rules, especially claiming them as your own but this is a site meant for writing stories and sometimes stories can share similarities even if you didn't intend to copy someone else. If it comes to generic pairings (I.E. Knight x Princess with a generic plotline of Princess doesn't want to marry pompous prince from another country and loves her protector.) then that isn't really plagiarizing and you can put that in your request. However if someone has spent the time crafting an idea in their thread with names, characters, etc. Then no, you wouldn't be allowed to just take them for yourself because they don't want to write with you or perhaps they are full.

You can reach out and ask if they are okay with you taking the idea from them and posting it in your own. Giving credit to them when you do in your own thread. I know it isn't an exact answer but as Bejeweled said above. If you really like the idea, you can always ask if you are allowed to use it for yourself and give them credit if you do.

I would 100% say to reach out and ask the person if you can use it in your own thread.

As someone who has had my work stolen time after time (not only plot ideas, but entire request threads, coding and content) I cannot stand seeing someone else use something I made for me without asking first. It's mainly why I don't write on threads much and why I don't pretty up my threads or posts anymore. I got so sick of seeing people take stuff without asking that it kind of killed my love of doing things the way I liked to do them.

Maybe I read too much into it, but in my opinion it's always best to ask rather than assume. I find it incredibly rude when I find my content stolen.
That makes a lot of sense and I am glad to know my fears were well founded. It is also good to hear that people wouldn't mind being reached out to in this manner.

Taking someones idea is against the rules, especially claiming them as your own but this is a site meant for writing stories and sometimes stories can share similarities even if you didn't intend to copy someone else. If it comes to generic pairings (I.E. Knight x Princess with a generic plotline of Princess doesn't want to marry pompous prince from another country and loves her protector.) then that isn't really plagiarizing and you can put that in your request. However if someone has spent the time crafting an idea in their thread with names, characters, etc. Then no, you wouldn't be allowed to just take them for yourself because they don't want to write with you or perhaps they are full.

You can reach out and ask if they are okay with you taking the idea from them and posting it in your own. Giving credit to them when you do in your own thread. I know it isn't an exact answer but as Bejeweled said above. If you really like the idea, you can always ask if you are allowed to use it for yourself and give them credit if you do.
Thanks so much for citing to a rule and confirming it is more than just an etiquette issue. I will make sure to reach out to be and tell them that I will credit their ideas if they allow me to use them or any variation of them.

I honestly find this rule VERY strange. I (and everyone else who does fandom based role plays) completely steal fandom characters/settings to use in stories all the time, without asking the author. Just because one work is famous and the other isn’t it gets a pass?

I do not see how, as long as I credit the original writer, any harm is done to them whatsoever. Might as well say we can’t use art we find online unless we get express permission from the artist.

I’ve never broken the rule, but personally, I don’t see how it makes any sense at all.

EDIT: In fact, I’m going to make my own post about this subject.

Back
Top Bottom