Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Heaven and Back ― Chai & Koura

Chai

Strawbby Shortcake™

H E A V E N   .A N D.   B A C K
7RDUc5G.jpg
3906066d293b6f26c2d2e22f691b31cd.jpg
GGwmHPf.jpg
YdKDSBv.jpg

a roleplay by Chai & Koura

Church of Christ the Redeemer

_ In the beginning the Word already existed. The Word was with God...  

The vaunted land of the free allows many indulgences. Hallowed laws laid down by founding fathers mean that one is free to live and worship largely as they please, at least if they have the means to do so. Yet people interpret protections enshrined in the law through tradition, and many so-called freedoms often hinge on how matters are perceived. Those who worship the God of Abraham have an easier time — most people assume that Christians and Jews are kind and good people, if only because they have been raised to believe so. People who worship other Gods are often considered alien and thus dangerous. We fear what we do not know.

Yet evil dwells even among the presumably godly men. For evil is found in us all, regardless of our creed. Life is wrought with hardships and pain. Blinded by hubris, many falter, choosing to forge a path of their own. For depositing an ideal always creates a judge. Faced with this inescapable aspect of human nature, some try to forge their own values and morals.

This is how the Church of Christ the Redeemer came to be.

Once Jonathan Volsky had been a promising student at the Orthodox Seminar in Johnstone. Devout and dedicated, the young man was well-liked by both his teachers and his peers. Everyone had expected him to graduate without much fuss and to take his vows before turning thirty. No one thought to question his faith. The tall, handsome young man was a model student.

Then something happened. Jonathan failed to show up in classes. His friends thought he had changed. His eyes had an eerie fire in them when he spoke. Two months later he dropped out of the seminar.

It all began with a dream. An alcohol-fueled feverish dream in which Jonathan led God's chosen people into Heaven. Jonathan felt God's presence in his small apartment. He was certain that he had been chosen to act as His prophet. He was to become Word made flesh.

Seeking inspiration from esoteric orthodox texts from both Mololans and Khylst, the young man embraced consciousness expanding substances, spending his evenings communing with 'angels'. Convinced that he was meant to spread God's True Word, Jonathan began to write his own gospel.

Jonathan's Gospel of Redemption promised God's infinite mercy to anyone in proportion to which they had sinned. The devout young man came to believe that it was the wicked and the foul that God loved the most. At least as long as they sought true redemption in Him. Jonathan, now calling himself Daniel, uploaded dozens upon dozens of pages of esoteric writings on religious forums. While most disregard his essays, he quickly developed a small following on both Reddit and Facebook. Zoom allowed him to preach to his small congregation.

Ten years later, a small independent church popped up in the Ozarks. At first, no one paid attention to the small congregation living on the remote farmstead. The motley collection of people kept to themselves, living simple lives tending to the land and animals they had bought. What they could not grow themselves, the congregation purchased from the nearby towns.

While few of the locals were suspicious at first, none cared to take a closer look. The newcomers were Christian after all. Men and women both wore practical, modest clothes. None was ever seen drunk or acting in a disorderly manner in public. There were occasional rumors of young men and women escaping their homes to join the weird congregation, but no one could name such a person. No one could claim they knew any of the people living on the farm. Few cared. The newcomers didn't bother anyone. For the most part, the weird little congregation was active online, out of sight and thus out of mind.

As years passed, the Church of Christ the Redeemer managed to spread its tendrils to the nearby small towns. Some youngsters visited the farm, never returning. Rumors began to circle. Some claimed that the small community was tainted. That the parishioners worshiped the devil. Tensions rose as families tried to bring back their loved ones. Few chose to return, smiling softly as they claimed that they had found peace and meaning on the remote farm. The police could do little. No one was kept on the farm against their will. Father Daniel made sure that all the kids trying to join his little congregation were sent back home. He insisted that only an adult could make such a choice. Yet, the disgruntled locals did not take long to cut ties with the farm. Only a few traders and outcasts were willing to deal with the remote church.

Money always had its servants and adherents.

The 'redemptionists' seemed to be happy to be left on their own. They appeared to have no particular desire to evangelize others. Daniel and his followers would welcome anyone and everyone as long as they came of their own volition.

. . . and the Word was God _

uf49cpz.jpg

evelyn lee __ ▬▬▬
_ age: 24 _ _ | _ _ height: 4'11" _ _ | _ _ birthday: july 28 _

_ all the good girls go to hell . . .  

"How far away are we?"

"Maps says 15 minutes."

"Great―I'm surprised that's even working. I'm getting the shittiest service."

A young woman frowned as she watched the service indicator in the top right corner of her phone oscillate between one and two bars. An editing app was open, her fingers working quickly and effortlessly across the screen, making minor edits on a few photos before attempting to upload it to Instagram. The progress bar moved tortuously slow before ultimately failing, a reflection of the remoteness of the location.

Such a shame, she thought to herself, since she looked so cute in her white sundress. The photo had been taken some hours earlier at Clinton International Airport shortly after they landed, the morning sun streaming in through the floor-to-ceiling glass panels and illuminating the sweet smile on her face. From there it had been another 3-hour drive to the mountainous Ozarks, leaving behind the flat developed lands of suburbia as they made their way into rural, lush hills and forest.

Evelyn Lee, or Eve as her friends preferred to call her, was a small content creator. If a few hundred thousands followers across social media counted as small. These days it was nothing impressive, but still she enjoyed what she did, loving the attention and novelty it brought to her life.

Among other things, Eve loved to showcase the oddities of her travels―interviews of interesting personalities she had met, or places that weren't exactly tourist destinations but had a charm about them anyway. This particular trip was special, both in its subject and her potential for growth. She'd first heard of the Redemptionists while doing some unrelated research into Arkansas, and she quickly came upon strange stories of a repurposed cabins and the surrounding lands. Just some exaggerated tales, maybe, rumors that others were a little too quick to pass around, but it intrigued her all the same.

Not much was known about their church―the Church of Christ the Redeemer―aside from the fact that they were led by a man who called himself Daniel and took up permanent residence deep in the Ozark mountains. From what she understood, the congregation had renovated the old Breckenridge Lodges and its grounds into their place of worship. Naturally curious, Eve had roped her assistants and two best friends, Liam and Alyssa, to join her.

"It's not too late to turn back you know," Liam joked from the drivers seat as he turned left onto the gravel road that led to the church.

Eve rolled her eyes, a half smile tugging up the corners of her lips. "Just keep driving."

"Drive smoother," quipped Alyssa from the back seat, the top of her blonde hair bobbing up and down in the rear view mirror.

"It's gravel." Liam's short reply was accompanied by a grin that she couldn't see, and he purposefully pumped the brakes a few times to annoy her even more.

The main building came into view, a grand structure that presumably used to serve as a lobby and communal area when the cabins were still in use as a hotel. Wooden log panels and a grey stone facade on the exterior emphasized the surrounding nature, while the wide glass panels added a touch of modernity. Beyond it were additional roads that led to various cabins in the distance, some small, some large, but all built in a similar fashion. And across the yard was clearly a new addition: a chapel, modest and white, that faced the lobby. A small steeple stood proudly on the roof, the cross at its crown casting a shadow on the ground. Just a few women were knelt in front of the chapel, tending to the flower beds that decorated the lawn and walkway.

Liam parked the car in front, and Eve knew that she didn't belong. Neither of the three California natives did, especially not in the shiny red Audi they'd rented to make the drive. As she stepped out of the car and walked to the entrance of the main building, she was acutely aware of the Redemptionists who had paused their work to stare at them, silently watching the three newcomers.

No, not watching. Judging.

"Are we going, or...?" Alyssa hesitantly asked. She was clearly as uncomfortable as the other two.

"Sure," Eve said after a few moments, finally tearing her eyes away from the working women to turn and open the door.

. . . even God himself has enemies _

nbilNcB.jpg

daniel volsky __ ▬▬▬
_ age: 48 _ _ | _ _ height: 6'3# _ _ | _ _ birthday: march 20th _

_ In the beginning the Word already existed. The Word was with God... .  

As Evelyn and her friends stepped out of the car, there was a sense of unease, the remote settlement perhaps a little too quiet for comfort. The small cabins they passed were tidy, laundry dangling on long lines between them. Flowers grew everywhere. Somewhere in the distance, a peregrine falcon cried out, the vast mountains carrying the haunting screech for miles. Woods surrounding the farmstead stretched as far as an eye could see. Back in the day, the hotel had been popular among backpackers to whom the remote location was more a perk than a problem.

The sky was clear, the bright afternoon sun bathing the small farmstead in gentle light. The weather was uncomfortably hot. Yet the women tending to the flower beds wore long skirts and sleeves, their hair covered by wide hats. Both of them wore their hair braided. They watched the trio in silence, one of the women offering Evelyn a soft smile. It was almost as if they had known to expect the outsiders.

A softly humming air-conditioner welcomed the trio into the lobby. Despite the large windows that lined the walls, the air inside was cool. "Welcome," a mellow voice called out, a tall man approaching Evelyn and his friends. "You must be Miss Lee?" Dark eyes scanned the young woman for a moment. Eyes that gleamed with curiosity. "I am Daniel," the priest introduced himself, extending his hand. "I believe we exchanged messages?" There was a short pause, the tall man turning his attention to Evelyn's friends. "I am glad you could make it. You are all welcome on our humble farm," he offered them a soft smile, his eyes gleaming with mirth. "I hope that your journey was pleasant."

"Would you want something to drink?" Daniel asked, nodding at the motley collection of pitchers and glasses sitting on a long, narrow desk that had once been the hotel front. The desk had been since repainted white, faint letters spelling the word 'Oakwood Ridge Hotel' barely visible through the paint. "There's fresh pear juice." There was a hint of pride in Daniel's voice. "We grow our own pears." As it happened, both the water and the pear juice had been laced with small amounts of sedatives and acid. Acid that had been synthesized at the laboratory that had been set up under the main building itself. One of Daniel's most devout followers was a talented chemist. She had been instrumental to his project, allowing him and his followers reliable access to mind-altering substances. Without Miriam, the church would have not existed in its current form.

"Feel free to go around. I've told my people to welcome you," Daniel added, smiling still. "We don't get visitors often." That much was true. The farmstead was remote. Very few people had any reason to seek the redemptionists out. Many of those who found their way to the community never left. "Did you want to interview me now, or would you want to rest first?" the tall priest asked, reaching into his pocket and pulling out a set of keys. A wooden key fob bearing the letters ORH dangled from the keyring. Ever since purchasing the hotel, the cult had never bothered changing locks.

"We've got plenty of space here," he told the trio, walking to a window. Dozens of small cabins dotted the grounds surrounding the church. "There's almost two hundred of us," Daniel explained. "We are almost like a big family." Evelyn could hear the pride in his voice. "I wonder," he turned to the young woman, licking his lips. "How did you hear about us? Before reaching out."

. . . and the Word was God _

Last edited:

uf49cpz.jpg

evelyn lee __ ▬▬▬

The first thing Eve noticed was the tall man who stood at what was formerly the reception desk of the hotel, his frame towering over the trio even before he had walked up to greet them. She was the shortest among the three, standing even six inches below Alyssa, and found herself almost craning to look up at him when he extended the handshake.

"I am," she answered, slipping her hand into his and offering a smile of her own. His grasp felt warm, firm, and slightly roughened against hers. "But please, Evelyn is fine, or you can call me Eve. Everyone does."

She released their handshake stepped back to introduce her two companions. "This is Liam, who does most of the camerawork and editing."

Liam gave Daniel quick handshake and a terse nod. "Flight wasn't that bad. The drive was long, but we made it."

"We made him drive the entire way here," Eve explained, feigning a teasing, half-apologetic look. "And this is Alyssa, who..." She trailed off now, shooting the blonde woman a wider grin as if they were sharing some kind of inside joke. Truly, Alyssa didn't have any other duties beyond the moral support of being a friend. The two women had met in college, and Alyssa had been born with the privilege of being a trust fund baby, which freed her from the burden of work and allowed her to spend time traveling with Eve. The two friends had yet to perfect an introduction rather than stumbling over words like Eve was doing now.

"I'm just the friend," Alyssa said midway through pouring herself some pear juice. She caught Daniel's gaze and slightly rolled her eyes, a smirk tugging up the corner of her lips. "So really I'm here for the experience. And whatever Eve needs me for."

Eve laughed, glad that some of the awkward tension was beginning to break, and switched places to a pour Liam a glass of water and herself some of the pear juice. It was crisp and delicious, she pleasantly found, sipping as she listened to Daniel talk.

"Thanks again for letting us stay here," she replied, "as I'm sure there's limited space for your congregation. If it's alright with you, I think we can wait on the interview for now. We'll be here for a few weeks, and I think we wanted to get a feel for other things too. What life is like, maybe talk to some of the others. But I think we're set to do your interview tomorrow or the day after..."

Her gaze slipped beyond him momentarily as she saw the billowing skirts of a woman dressed like the ones tending to the chapel flower beds. Behind him was the entrance to some kind of dining area, barely visible around the corner, but she saw a few tables with dishes and other remnants of a recent meal. And around them flitted more women who were clearing plates and utensils, working quietly and diligently. Eve silently compared their clothing to her own short white sundress, the thin straps leaving her arms uncovered, and the hem of it just barely reaching mid-thigh. She wondered if all the women dressed that way around the religious commune, with their long dresses and hair tied back in neat ponytails or buns. There was something deeply unsettling about the thought.

The young women turned her attention back to Daniel, her bluish-gray eyes full of guarded curiosity as they met his. "At first I was looking into a historic town on the west side of the Ozarks. Eureka Springs, I think it's called? I find smaller, out-of-the-way places to be better features for my socials since no one else goes to them. Then I talked to some people who've visited around here, and they said this was an interesting little community."

Lies. At the very best it was a half-baked truth, but "interesting" was not the word that most people would have used to a describe the Redemptionists' enclave. Strange and peculiar, maybe. Eerie, bizarre, mysterious, cultish―these were the words that had popped up when she was doing her research, along with stories online of people who joined and never contacted their families again. And yet, the church's basic website had testimonial after testimonial about the power of God's grace to affect change. Success stories of self-proclaimed sinners who had found the way of the Lord.

"Interesting in a good way, I mean," Eve added hastily, not wanting to give Daniel the wrong impression despite her omission of the truth. She crossed her arms over her chest as she brought up a hand to idly play with the pendant hanging off her necklace, her delicate fingers tracing over the small sapphire nestled between her collar bones. "So, where are we going to be staying?" she asked him with a soft smile, eager to change the subject. "I think we'd all love to unpack and settle in."

nbilNcB.jpg

daniel volsky __ ▬▬▬

_ For all have sinned... .  

"Evelyn it is," Daniel nodded, an eyebrow rising for a moment. "Well met." The preacher reached to shake hands with Liam and Alyssa, his dark eyes lingering on the blond woman for longer than was perhaps strictly necessary. For the briefest of moments, a smidgen of bestial hunger glimmered in his eyes. "A friend?" he chuckled softly, amused. His voice never betrayed his true intentions. "We can all use a friend. As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another, as it is written in the proverbs." Daniel glanced at Eve, wondering if the opposite was also true. Alyssa didn't appear particularly smart. Then again, God had rarely blessed her sex in such a manner. He knew there was a reason why women were commanded to stay silent in the church.

Daniel gauged Liam as he shook his hand, trying to get read of him. He knew that the young man would try to protect his friends. If Liam couldn't be persuaded to join, he would need to disappear. The deep woods surrounding the hotel hid several makeshift graves. Every man craved the Lord's Mercy in their hearts. Unfortunately, some sinners could find His Grace only in death. His mind girded against all doubt, Daniel had no qualms about sending such souls into the arms of the Almighty. He considered the final rites both his duty and responsibility.

Unsurprisingly, Daniel's tone was rather different from the one Eve heard in his online sermons, the zealous fervor missing from his voice. It was almost as if he was a different man. "Day after tomorrow should do just fine," he assured the young woman. "Meanwhile, bet at home." The handsome priest spread his hands. "We do mean it when we say that we welcome everyone to stay." Evelyn had likely heard Daniel beckon the faithful to join the small community, promising each and everyone God's grace. His charisma alone had won the cult dozens of followers. Meanwhile, Miriam's talents ensured that the recruits stayed. The faithful truly believed that Daniel could show them glimpses of Heaven. That he held the keys to life eternal.

"What did they tell you then?" Daniel asked, sounding curious. People of the Eureka Springs were hardly friends with the church. Several young women had left their homes to join the community, a fact that sat poorly with their families. Some of the men had tried to bring their daughters back. Police had been called. Ever since the Redemptionists had avoided the town. Daniel had no stomach for needless quarrels. He was more than happy to play with the people in his thrall. "Mhmhm. I am certain," he bobbed his head in agreement, his smile enigmatic.

"We've reserved a room for you," the priest led the trio to the backdoor, nudging it open and stepping into the sweltering heat. "Fourteen." He pointed at one of the smaller cabins in the distance, turning to hand the keys to Liam. "Unfortunately, the AC is dated. But there are drinks in the fridge," Daniel explained. Finding an AC specialist willing to travel to the farmstead was nigh impossible. "You might want to sleep on the first floor, " he added, smiling sheepishly. It was almost as if he was ashamed that he couldn't offer anything better for his guests. "It's pretty far from the other cabins, so you should have all the privacy." Evelyn could see a small cabin sitting at the edge of the woods, perhaps three hundred yards from the main building.

"We share a dinner here later," he glanced back at the main building, wiping some sweat off his brow. The afternoon allowed no respite from the sun. "Please join us." Not that the trio had any real choice on the matter if they wanted to fill their bellies. The small community shared everything its members produced. "You'll know the food is served when you hear the bells," Daniel explained, turning to face Eve and her friends. "You can find me here, should you have any questions. If not, we'll see later. Please take care and rest a little." The old priest was all smiles, his voice warm and welcoming.

...and fall short of the glory of God. _

Last edited:

uf49cpz.jpg

evelyn lee __ ▬▬▬

"They told me..." Evelyn wracked her brain for something polite to say as she followed Daniel across the building toward the backdoor. She turned to share a wide-eyed frantic look with Alyssa, who only shrugged and mouthed something incoherent. "They told me all about the good work being done in the area," Eve continued, the nervousness in her voice just barely perceptible, "and how the church has transformed the lives of so many."

The latter wasn't exactly a lie. One of the women she had spoken to shared the story of her brother's alleged cleansing of his drug addiction since joining the faith and subsequently Daniel's congregation. Of course, no one in his family had heard from him since either.

Humidity seemed to blast the four of them as they stepped outside, and Eve squinted against the brightness of the sun. "Thank you again," she said, "we're just glad that you could accommodate us, and hopefully we can share how, um, wonderful this place is with everyone." Behind her, both Liam and Alyssa stifled a laugh at her weak attempt at another compliment.

She heard the jingling of the keys and turned to receive them from Daniel, only to see him look past her and drop them into Liam's hands. Eve fought the urge to roll her eyes, bristling at the perceived slight. She was the one who had contacted the church about the visit, and she was the one who had set all the details. It was inconsequential in the end, but something about it was off putting in a way she couldn't quite place. Still, the young woman smiled.

"Hey, both of you go ahead," Liam said, tossing Evelyn the keys. "I'll bring the car around, make it easier on us."

"Sure thing," Eve replied, and then turning toward Daniel she said, "Of course, dinner. We'll see you then." Her tone was a little more short and pointed now, even beneath the outward politeness. Then she linked arms with Alyssa, gave him a farewell smile, and started the walk to their cabin.

Liam arrived before they did, leaning against the back of the red Audi with the trunk popped open. "God, could you two walk any slower?" he said, waving his hands in wide sweeping gestures for them to hurry up.

"Watch it Liam, you can't say his name like that. You're in the Lord's house," Eve joked, exaggerating the sarcasm and giving him a teasing shake of her head as she stepped up to unlock the door.

The trio stepped into the cabin, the door creaking slightly as it swung in. It was warm just as Daniel said, just bordering on being uncomfortably so, with a small AC unit humming weakly in the background. The entrance opened up into a small living room area, two couches forming an 'L' around a small hand-carved wooden coffee table, facing an empty fireplace with a large deer head mounted just above. To the left was a small kitchenette with a fridge, two-burner stove, and sink, with a basic coffee maker that sat in the corner of the meager counter space. Two bedrooms branched off from the main room, and to the right was a steep staircase that led to the lofted second floor that overlooked the living room.

"It's... homey," Alyssa commented as she walked through, making a face. It was a far cry from the luxurious California villa she grew up in.

"It's hot," said Eve from above, now realizing why Daniel suggested they sleep on the first floor. The air up in the loft felt stifling and thick. She frowned, briefly considering calling the whole thing off, simply taking a few pictures and then being on their way. But she had gone camping before, and the few weeks they were set to stay weren't any more of an inconvenience than other camping trips she'd taken in the past. At least they had running water, electricity, and food.

The remaining time was spent unloading bags from the car and arguing about who was going to sleep where. Alyssa had been vehemently opposed to the bedroom upstairs, insisting that Liam take it and just sleep on the couch if he needed to. In the end that had been the arrangement they all agreed on―Alyssa in the largest room on the first floor, Liam in the upstairs room, and Eve in the smaller bedroom tucked away in the back corner.

Not that she minded it at all. For all of Eve's online showmanship, she enjoyed the moments of privacy in her personal life. Plus the room afforded access to the veranda that wrapped around the cabin; she could already see herself doing some work or having a morning cup of coffee out on the porch. In some way this trip to the Ozarks also functioned as a little retreat for her, somewhat disconnected from the hustle and bustle of her content creation business. Still, she'd have to find a way to get internet access. Maybe she would ask Daniel later, seeing as the church maintained a website.

The bells hailing dinnertime sounded, jolting the young women out of her thoughts and monotonous task of folding clothes and putting them away in a wooden dresser. Had the hours passed by already?

She met Liam and Alyssa out on the steps of the front porch, exchanging nervous glances with them as they set off back to the main building. Eve absentmindedly listened to the two of them talking―arguing about something yet again―making a mental list of everything she wanted to do while at the Redemptionists' campgrounds. There was the interview with Daniel, then interviews with whichever members were willing to speak to them, and pictures of the grounds itself. Of course, she knew some of the pictures would have to be taken outside of any official tour; she knew her followers would want candids, and that likely meant going off on her own to explore. More than anything, she knew people wanted answers. They wanted secrets. And secrets she would find.

nbilNcB.jpg

daniel volsky __ ▬▬▬

_ The Lord detests all the proud of heart.  

As cozy as the little cabin was, it had seen better days. The laminate floor had several small bulges, the hinge of the door protesting when Liam pulled it open. The plumbing was not much better, the tap gurgling like a dying man when Alyssa tried to see if the thing worked. Water did run eventually, meaning that they could use the shower, even if it took ages for the temperature to settle anything resembling what a human might want. Fortunately, the small fridge tucked in the corner of the kitchenette had been stocked with several bottles of pear juice. Curiously, an old, laminated map detailing the nearby hiking routes. still hung on the wall. Routes that had not been maintained for years. At least the AC did something, aged as it was.

As the sun began to set behind the mountains, the tree could hear a chime in the distance. Looking out, Liam could see the cultists slowly stream towards the main building, faint laughter echoing in the distance. Even with the night slowly falling on the farmstead, the air outside remained uncomfortably hot. A faint trail of smoke could be seen rising from the chimney jutting out of the main building.

When Evelyn and her friends entered the dining hall, they saw the Redemptionists sitting along half a dozen or so long tables. Men were seated among themselves on the right side of the wall, women on the left. A group of young men wearing worn dress shirts waved Liam to join them, a tall blond guy patting a singular empty seat by his side. "Join us, brother." Soft laughter and chatter filled the hall, though most voices belonged to the men. The women were more demure, shuffling around to make space for Eve and Alyssa. Still, the two were welcomed with open arms, Redemptionists old and young introducing themselves. Their company all wore long skirts and sleeves despite the weather, their necklines modest.

The trio were served a simple, hearty vegetable stew made from lentils, chickpeas and onions. Large loaves of bread meant to supplement the otherwise meager meal laid scattered on the tables. The Redemptionists were quick to explain that they were not vegetarians as per se, insisting that they merely trying to eat healthily. Large pitchers filled with water and kvass made rounds around the table, the older members of the church doing their utmost to have the guests try the sweet and sour drink. A small girl brought Evelyn and Alyssa two glasses of pear juice, blushing as she explained that her mother had asked her to bring the drink to them. A woman sitting on the far end of the table waved her hand, smiling. The others were quick to introduce her as Miriam. One of Daniel's first followers.

Evelyn could scrape together a hierarchy of sorts. Miriam was responsible for women in some capacity, though the kitchen staff and seamstresses had their respective heads. The men of the church were organized roughly similarly, though with most of them tending the fields there was less need for strict leadership. Apparently, a man named Marcus was responsible for repairs with a few younger men working for him. Questions regarding reasons to join the church were often readily answered, most citing a desire to live a better, simpler life. One woman admitted having been a drug addict and how she had been now clean for three years. Another devout explained how she had joined the community to escape his abusive ex. The church looked after her and her eight-year-old son. With nowhere else to go, she needed no other reason.

All in all, the people Evelyn and Alyssa got to talk to seemed like modest, decent people, though their words betrayed their zeal. Many called Daniel the 'Redeemer', expressing deep gratitude. It seemed as if people truly believed that the church had saved them. There was one topic everyone would skirt. Religious services. The Redemptionists would smile softly whenever the topic came up, insisting that they served the Lord much like other Christians. It quickly became apparent that this wasn't the whole truth. Some of the women admitted having taken part in ecstatic rites where the Redeemers prayed and danced until their bodies could move no longer. None could quite remember what had taken place, but they all insisted on having felt the presence of the divine. It was obvious that the women craved this sensation.

As the supper wrapped up, the women would stand up, taking their plates and utensils to the kitchen. Men remained at the table, discussing the matters of faith and planning the tasks for the following day. Evelyn could hear Daniel's voice above the others, his words muddled by the noise. Miriam would usher everyone to leave, bidding Evelyn and Alyssa good night. Her tone made it evident she expected the women to retire for the night. Liam seemed to be in a no hurry to get up. He had made a few friends, the men having welcomed her with an open arms.

Be sure of this: They will not go unpunished. _

Last edited:

uf49cpz.jpg

evelyn lee __ ▬▬▬

_ she was always dealing with the devil . . .  

In spite of her fears and uncertainty of what was to come, Eve found the dinner to be quite enjoyable. The other women were surprisingly welcoming and not at all as judgemental as she thought they would be. A few who looked to be around Eve and Alyssa's age had smiled and offered space next to them, asking about their travels as the food was served. And while they listened appreciatively, Eve thought it curious that these women never desired to leave the farmstead. In fact she was borderline shocked―young women, barely in their 20s, who chose a life of wearing prairie dresses on some remote campgrounds rather than explore the world. And while they insisted they would never have it any other way, that they had found meaning and purpose in their simple life on the farm, Eve pitied them. There was no reason why such bright girls should've had to restrict themselves like this, and the thought made her sad. But she kept her thoughts to herself, only sipping on the pear juice and kvass as they talked.

One particular subject of conversation had especially piqued Eve's interest: the divine rituals. While not all women were willing to discuss, it was frustratingly impossible to discern what was meant even by those who did choose to divulge. Even Alyssa had an inquisitive look on her face as they listened to one girl's experience of being touched by the Holy Spirit.

"... It's simply beautiful," the young woman named Bethany said as the women began to stand and clear the dishes. A glaze came over her eyes as she reminisced. "You can feel in your heart and soul that you've been blessed by the Lord. God is good."

"Mmm," was all Eve said in response. While raised religious she was no longer practicing, and certainly did not believe in any claims of seeing or experiencing God. Still, she made a note to attend one of these rites if she could. If anything this was only a confirmation of the rumors that flew around the neighboring towns. That the Redemptionists were strange people who had equally odd customs and practices. She stood then, and had to take a moment to balance herself, gripping the edge of the table in response to the slight vertigo that made her head spin.

Alyssa got up next to her, giggling as she reached out a steadying hand on her arm. "Eve! How much did you drink? You're all pink!"

"Says the girl who's about to pass out," Eve scoffed and teased back, watching her friend take a few steps and stumble over her own feet.

The two of them walked to where Liam was seated. A few of the men eyed them strangely, yet kindly, but made no move to allow the two women to join them. "I'm gonna take Lyss back," Eve told him, her face warm from from the kvass, and then paused as Alyssa mumbled something under her breath. "You know how she gets..."

"I know how you get," Alyssa fired back, drunkenly indignant, and Liam snickered.

"Sure, I'll see you guys later. Just finishing up here," he said, smiling warmly as his friends walked away.

Once back at the cabin, putting Alyssa to bed had been harder than Eve remembered it was, grimacing as she recalled their college days. Alyssa had not only edged past her limits but completely barreled through them, often requiring Eve to drag her back to their apartment and deal with the fallout. And just like she had back then, she led Alyssa to her bedroom despite the protests and helped her change. For extra measure, she grabbed a couple bottles of pear juice from the fridge for the two of them to drink and hopefully prevent a hangover. That was the last thing either of them needed, and while it wasn't water, the juice was crisp and fresh.

It was well past dark by the time Eve was finished with Alyssa and had freshened herself up. The cold water had been barely passable to shower in but she'd managed, and she realized when she saw the closed door upstairs that Liam still had not returned from dinner. Odd, she thought, considering the three of them had intended on setting a filming schedule for the first week. And typically Liam was on top of these things, organized as he was. Could he still have been back in the lobby?

Slipping her shoes back on, she stepped back out into the night air. It was still warm with stifling humidity, though the sensation was somewhat mitigated by the shorts and tank top she had pulled on. Then she giggled to herself; it was impossible to know if it was the weather that was hot or just the fact that her buzz had not been alleviated by time. A slight breeze whipped past her and she lifted her face to the air, welcoming the coolness against her cheeks.

The lights were dimmed inside the main building when she reached it. "Hello?" Eve called out after knocking against the doors, a sharp rap that echoed through the emptiness. The tables had been cleared and new dishes put out for tomorrow's breakfast, but Liam wasn't in sight. Closing the doors softly behind her, she crept through the building for any sign of her friend.

"Liam?" she hissed again in the dark, and then frowned, unable to discern whether the uneasy feeling in her stomach was still the drunkenness or something worse.

. . . she was always into taking those chances _

nbilNcB.jpg

daniel volsky __ ▬▬▬

_ The Lord saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth...  

The air outside was almost comfortable when Eve headed out, a veil of stars glimmering above her. Looking up, she could see the soft haze of Milkiway running across the achingly beautiful night sky. Here, in the middle of the Ozarks, there were no lights that hid the beauty of creation. A gentle wind stirred Eve's hair as she made her way down to the main building. The farmstead was eerily quiet, with only a few cabins having lights in the windows. Dew covered the dry grass, a faint scent of woodsmoke lingering in the air. The fireplaces built into the cabins were not decorative. The now-bankrupt hotel had wanted to provide its customers with the very best.

Walking closer to the main building Eve could hear a song echoing somewhere in the distance. The chorus of soft soprano voices was hauntingly beautiful, although she couldn't quite make sense of the words. The women she had dined with had mentioned how the Redemptionist served the Lord not only by Word but also by Deed. How it was so easy to speak the Words, but how it was living according to the Word that brought peace to the soul. She had been told a fair few things. The women she had dined with had been quite talkative, all of them.

The main building that had felt so warm and inviting only hours earlier was now wreathed in shadows, the AC still humming softly. Eve's careful footsteps echoed in the empty lobby, the small woman sounding like a stumbling giant in the otherwise quiet space. Not that anyone came forth when she called for Liam. The building felt deserted, gentle moonlight pooling in from the large windows. A small green light blinked somewhere in the distance marking the emergency exit, the old lamp flickering ominously. Walking closer to the reception, she could hear a faint murmur somewhere above her. With her eyes getting used to the darkness, she found stairs, the voices growing a little louder. Climbing slowly up, she could smell incense, the acrid scent growing heavier every step. Reaching the second floor, she could hear muffled groans and whimpers echoing in the corridor.

"Sin!" a woman called out, the singular word ringing out loud in the otherwise empty hallway. "Sin!" a gaggle of voices responded in kind, soft, muffled moans accompanying the eccentric chant. "Sin so that you might be redeemed," the first voice commanded. A voice Eve had heard earlier that day. Miriam's voice. "Sin that you may receive His Mercy!" She had stumbled upon a ritual, the pained moans she had heard growing louder and more frequent. "Amen!" the congregation responded, their voices filled with exotic glee. "God is good as he is Almighty! Blessed are the Wicked!" Miriam preached, her voice ringing with fervent zeal. "Blessed are the wicked for God's Mercy is without bounds."

Taking a turn right, Evelyn could see doors to a large room slightly ajar. The ominous prayer echoed from beyond. With the Redemptionists occupied with their sermon, the curious young woman could easily sneak up on the cultists. Peeking into the auditorium, she could see Miriam standing behind a tall pulpit, the middle-aged woman clad in white robes with a purple sash wrapped around her neck. She grasped a cross that dangled on her chest, her voice filling the hall. A few dozen faithful sat on the ascending seats, their eyes on the cult leader.

Much to her dismay, she could also see two naked young women writhing on a small pile of blankets lying on the floor. They were busy with a man between them, their limbs intertwined. She knew the young man. Somehow, her editor had managed to get involved with an obscene ritual their first night at the farmstead. Liam seemed to be quite enjoying himself, his moans and whimpers growing louder and louder. One of the two women slowly stroking his cock even as she eagerly licked his balls. Evelyn was able to see just how aroused he was. The other girl kept his hands occupied, Liam caressing her full breasts with her small hand buried between her shapely legs. "Sin!" Miriam called out again, her voice breaking a little. "Cast away your morals and fornicate. Break the Lord's Covenant." Scanning the small crowds, the curious young woman could spy a several cultists touching themselves beneath their robes, their movements telling.

Plenty of sin was taking place in the hall, Miriam exhorting the cultists to cast away any inhibitions they might have had. Taking heed of her words, two young men sitting in the front row began to kiss each other, embracing each other. It did not take long for the smaller of the two to kneel before his partner, hastily tugging his pants down before taking his half-erect member between his lips. On the other side of the auditorium, a young girl hiked her skirts up, a middle-aged man pressing his head between her thighs. Judging by her sudden whimpers and her expression, her 'friend' knew exactly what he was doing.

With Evelyn rather distracted by the debauched ritual involving her editor, she could not hear the slowly approaching footsteps. This would be her undoing. Before she could do as much as yelp, a pair of arms wrapped themselves around her body. A large hand pressed on her neck, squeezing hard and leaving her gasping for air. "What do we have here." To her horror, she could recognize Daniel's voice. The old priest held her in an iron grip, his fingers digging under her jaw, forcing her neck into an awkward position. "A little curious raccoon. Poking her nose where it doesn't belong." Evelyn could hear the derision in his tone. "Do you like what you see?" he asked her, giving her small frame a nudge as he began to push her down the stairs, Evelyn having to stumble forward without seeing her feet. Luckily for the dainty young girl, her captor held her tight.

...and that every intention of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. _

Back
Top Bottom