Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Tαʅҽʂ σϝ Eʅყʂιαɳ: 𝘕𝘰 𝘙𝘦𝘴𝘵 𝘧𝘰𝘳 𝘵𝘩𝘦 𝘞𝘪𝘤𝘬𝘦𝘥

Introduction New

Pretty.Poison

Born Poison, Blessed with Beauty & Rage

dVbqQv2.png

₮ⱧɆ ₩ØⱤⱠĐ
dVbi6WF.png

It wasn't nukes and missiles that toppled the world's governments, it was division. The right from the left, the conservative from the liberal, rich from poor, brother from brother, father from son… genders, races, religious beliefs… There was definitely war, mostly civil ones, infighting among countrymen for control and power. It wasn't just in the US though, it was happening all across the world. The lines that divided people became gaping chasms that no bridge could cross. Protests turned violent, governments turned on their citizens, markets crashed, industries fell, and people died by the hundreds.

Once the dust had settled it was clear that the world would never be the same. The United States of America was no more. With no overarching government, no federal law enforcement, and no real military to speak of civilization broke down. Smaller municipalities didn't have the resources to hire and train new police forces, and quickly fell beneath the burden. Larger cities with rich citizens were able to contract private forces to supplement what little law enforcement was left. The People flocked to these larger cities in fear, seeking the safety that they believed lay within. There just wasn't enough space for them all. Violence broke out among people competing for food and a roof over their heads, and so the cities grew larger, annexing smaller neighboring communities. Once they had grown as large as they could, unable to keep spreading out the built up, and when it still wasn't enough they built walls to keep out non-residents. They held lotteries for vacancies as they came up. Tent cities rose up outside the walls, nearly as lawless as the towns they had run from, but at least there they could wait and hope their number came up.

It quickly became clear that there was no way to provide for the people within the walls of these cities, so other nearby areas that were rich with resources were claimed and policed by the private militaries they were able to cobble together. Fights would break out on occasion, usually with raiders but sometimes between cities, too as they competed for resources. Sometimes a city would fall to another, becoming just another territory for the victor to control. To help manage these mega-cities, each basically a country unto itself, they formed their own leadership, laws, and ways of governing. Leaving the lands in between, most of the country, lawless.

dVmbucX.jpg

City of Elysian

dVbi6WF.png

Elysian rose up in the ashes of San Francisco. Conveniently located on the western coast and already well appointed with the necessary infrastructure, it rose as one of the first mega-cities in the former US, a template that other successful mega-cities plagiarized.

While well intentioned, at first, the city's elite families jumped in to prop up the leadership of the fledgling city. In return they were given advisory positions to help with choosing policies, laws, and ordinances. Over time these positions became less advisory and more of a committee, each getting a vote in what passed or failed. They became known as the Olympian Ministry, carrying on with the nod to ancient Greek mythology. These Olympians, as they were called, very much let this power go to their head and became even more disconnected from the citizens they governed. The policies and laws they put into effect became more suited to their own agendas, and placed more restrictions on the lower class.

Crime rates began to rise, the seedy underworld flourishing with aid from both sides. These criminal organizations offered opportunities to make the kind of money the poor could otherwise only dream of, and the rich greedily bought up their products be they exotic goods, drugs or even people. With the rise in crime the meager force left to police the city just wasn't enough. They turned to bounty hunters to bring people in to face the consequences of whatever crimes they've committed.

Last edited:

Zach walked out of the airport to breathe nice, thick, chokingly refreshing Elysian smog. This city was one of the most dangerous shitholes on the planet. The problem was, that this city was also the only place a merc could get a contract in the morning and get it done with relatively little travel by the evening. So when a bounty hunter or a merc needed cash, he or she went here. Which made the city demographic lean a little heavily towards cold-blooded killers. Not that Zach was any different, he just preferred to be surrounded by a more diverse crowd. He felt his smartwatch tap his wrist with a slowly increasing cadence as his taxi was slowly closing in until it issued a tap per second as his taxi arrived and lined with him. He looked at the biometric photo of the driver, confirming that it was not some pervert who planned to rape him, sell his organs, and then cook his meat and dropped his suitcase on the backseat of the cab and sat next to it.

"It better be clean. It should go into the trunk." – The driver said.

"The suitcase stays with me." – Zach added. – I'll add a tip."
"Sure." the driver said sceptically.

Zach could not argue with the driver, not that he would stiff the driver on purpose, but his life lately had a tendency to throw a lot of distractions in his life. The car moved, and it took a good two and a half hours to get to the downtown where the Bounty Hunter hub was located. Most of the time was spent in the traffic. His bruised abdomen was letting him know exactly how bruised he was, after being crammed on the back seat of the miniature cab.

He pushed his suitcase out of the cab with his foot and shuffled out of it. The payment went out, and he had to quickly swipe on his watch to add the promised tip for having a dirty suitcase in the backseat of the car. He had an urge to stretch, maybe even do a sit-up and a lunge, but that meant being vulnerable on the street of Elysian, and he did not plan for it. He pulled the handle of the suitcase and walked into a large non-descript highrise that towered over neighbouring blocks standing full ten stories taller than any of the buildings. Zach walked into the foyer, greeted the concierge with a nod walked into the elevator and typed in the combination to be allowed on the desk floor.

The girl was already there. Nyx, did not look like much in the photos provided by the agency, with the mission, but she looked like a real banger in real life. In fact, he was quite sure he met her once or twice. Could have been a client of his. Zach put on a charming smile as he approached Nyx with his suitcase behind him. Dressed in a grey blazer, dark blue oxford shirt and grey jeans he extended his hand towards her. – "Zach. I'm Zach, I believe we've met Nyx?" – He said, but instead of the greeting he saw a fist closing down towards his nose. Two thoughts appeared on his mind. One was – I pissed off a lot of people, mostly women. – And the second was – This is not my week.

b3CIkQ0.png

Z A C H

Last edited by a moderator:

The throaty rumble of the old truck’s diesel engine could finally be heard as it made its way down the mostly abandoned highway a few miles outside the city walls of Elysian. The lone figure lying prone on the rooftop overlooking its pathway through the ghost town of a once thriving suburb had been watching its progress through a rifle scope for nearly a mile before she heard it. “Almost in position…” she whispered to herself. These ambushes had been a lot more fun before they’d added armor plating and bullet resistant glass to the windshields. It was fun to watch the idiots panic as they tried to figure out where the shots were coming from.

Now… she clicked the button on the detonator in her hand… an explosion rocked the rear of the truck, the tires blew out, and it was pretty evident that the rear axle was bent… if not broken. She set the device down and repositioned it on the body of her rifle, finger hovering just over the trigger as she watched and waited. The men in the cab appeared to be arguing, debating on who was getting out to check the damage, and who was going to stay behind and call it in. “And the winner is…” the passenger side door opened and the man riding shotgun stepped out, her finger squeezed and the back of the man’s head bloomed open, a red mist forming a halo around it. The man in the driver's seat didn't even get a chance to process before she chambered the next round, shifted and made her next shot.

“They're down… Go.” Continuing to watch through the scope, she looked on as a group of dark hooded figures closed in on the back of the truck. Within seconds the doors of the trailer were swinging open and people were being unloaded. A dozen or so young women and children were coaxed or carried to a small convoy of passenger vehicles that would take them to a safe place. She waited until they were clear before packing up her gear. “Good job, Nyx.” The familiar voice over the comms device tucked into her ear brought a proud smile curling onto her lips, but she didn't do this job out of pride.

“Not good enough, won't be until they're all saved. I’ll be waiting for my next orders… Nyx out.” The device was pulled from her ear and packed up with the rest of her equipment before she made her way down from the roof. Anyone watching from a distance may see what appeared to be a shadow, but nothing that would seem out of the ordinary, and like the ghost she was… she vanished.

Her small frame slipped silently through the shadows to the spot where she’d hidden the blacked out motorcycle she’d driven to the location. She quickly and quietly worked to secure her gear, while doing her best to keep herself alert and aware. The last thing she needed was to get caught doing some not-so-legal moonlighting. The spotlight was already shining down on her kind pretty hard without giving the powers that be more of a reason to shut them down… Like taking away their toys.

Once she was on the road it was a matter of minutes before she was pulling up to the western gate into the city. She pulled out her ID, and let the guards scan it, her phone vibrating against her as she waited to be cleared for entry, notifying her of a missed message. Tugging the zipper of her jacket down had the soldier standing next to her openly leering at her cleavage, but she decided to ignore it… for now.

URGENT - Pending contract waiting for confirmation @ Elysian - URGENT

One perfectly shaped brow arched upwards as she read the message, and then tucked her phone back into its pocket before ending the free peep show. She was looking past him, waiting as the gate began to rise as he leaned in towards her.

“So… I was thinking… I get off duty in -” the soldier began.

“No, you weren't. Thinking requires blood flow to your brain, you, me and your buddies back there all know yours has gone straight to your dick.” Before the soldier could reply, she revved her engine and took off leaving him sputtering in a cloud of road dust.

Inside the city, she steered the bike with a focus, trying not to get caught up in the misery and desperation that clung to this area of the city. New Kowloon housed the poorest of the poor, entire families living in apartments approximately the size of a cargo container, stacked one on top of the other until they rivaled the high-rises in uptown. While most of the residents were good natured people, forced into the squalor by a lack of options… The disinterest of the stretched-too-thin police force made it a breeding ground for predators. It made her sick, but it was the straightest route to downtown… Plus, it never hurt to be reminded of why she did what she did.

The Omni, once a treasured hotel and landmark, was now the hub for bounty hunters in Elysian. After parking her bike she made her way inside, her helmet tucked under her arm, her bag slung over her shoulder, and approached the front desk. “Nyx! Darling!!” The dark skinned male behind the counter lit up as he called her by name, his flamboyant attire drawing as much attention as his raised voice, “Please, tell me you’re checking in, it's been ages since we've done some commiserating over a bottle of ridiculously overpriced wine.”

Nyx didn't have many people in her life she considered friends, but Baz had claimed her as his the first time they met, and refused to take no for an answer. “It's good to see you, too, Baz,” she greeted him with a warm smile, “I’m not sure just yet… Picking up a contract, so it depends on the job.” She set her helmet on the desk, “Can you be a dear and watch this for me?” Some bounty hunters were as bad as the people they hunted… a few were even worse… and she didn't trust a single one not to wander off with her stuff.

Baz pouted at her but took the helmet, and the bag that she passed over to him, “You work too much, Luv, you need to take some time off… get rest, relax a bit, and get railed… I've got the perfect guy, trust me, you’ll thank me after…” But Nyx was already walking away, shaking her head as she went.

Reaching the elevator, she punched in her code, and rode it up to the 13th floor. Stepping out she made her way directly to the bounty desk, while scanning through the details of the message she hadn't bothered to read in full, yet.

Team.

Previously selected.

Mandatory for payment.

The words jumped out at her like giant red flags, but the potential payday was… as massive as the ego of one of her preselected teammates. She honestly wasn't sure she could deal with this sober, and was turning to make her way back downstairs to hit up the bar when… speak of the Devil… Zach Evans appeared directly in her path.

"Zach. I'm Zach, I believe we've met Nyx?"

There was no warning given before the petite brunette threw a right hook directly at his face, her fist making contact with his nose. She wouldn't have been surprised, or disappointed, if it was broken.

4P1y9cB.png

N Y X

Zach sensed the fist connect with his nose, and he instinctively jerked his head back to absorb the shock. One of the first thoughts that visited him was – She might like me – The punch was not in full force, and Zach's understanding of human relationships was quite skewed. The second thought was M105. – "Berret M 105 tactical sniper rifle with stealth coating and built-in wind compensation." – Zach's head came back to a vertical position, and just in case Nyx could strike him again he rolled his suitcase in front of him and swiped a piece of blood from under his nose. – "Ok. I remember I offered you a discount if you." – Zach lifted his fist to his mouth and moved it back and forth pushing the tongue against his cheek. – "Probably after you turned yourself into a bimbo. I sincerely apologise, power blinded my mind, I don't do this shit any longer. Also, I fucked so many bimbos. At this point, somebody who looks like you – is plain and gorgeous." – Zach said and quickly stepped back keeping the suitcase as a barrier between them. – "Peace. Poor choice of words. Not plain, petite." – He smiled. He knew very well that he was only agitating her further, but in his book, this was a good thing. He wanted to see how his future companions dealt with stress. It seemed that Nyx was not the diplomatic type.

"I believe we need each other more or less healthy" – Zach told her and shifted his attention back to the desk. – "Oliver something. Must be the muscle and a big guy." – Zach said, trying to keep any and all envy from his voice. He remembered checking out his dossier, and well. The guy was an interesting case.

b3CIkQ0.png

Z A C H

So… not broken then. It was probably for the best, hunter on hunter violence was technically against the code… especially while on neutral ground. No one was going to say much about a little dust up, unless… he was a whiny little bitch and filed a complaint. She doubted he would though, men like him usually didn't want to advertise that they'd been beaten up by a girl. Hazel green eyes narrowed on him as he rattled off the model of her rifle along with the customizations she’d specifically asked for when she ordered it from him five years ago.

Despite her annoyance she couldn't help but smirk when he wheeled his suitcase between them, though it disappeared just as quickly when he mimed the act he’d requested of her. To be fair, it wasn't entirely his fault, he’d had no way of knowing what she’d been through… what she'd survived… He had, however, known she was just twenty-one at the time, and that she was new to the bounty hunting thing.

By the time he was done Nyx was absolutely seething, and he was extremely lucky she wasn't currently armed. A potential night in the Tombs, the bounty hunter version of jail in the basement of the very building they stood in, was starting to seem like a worthy punishment for beating his ass. It was that part at the end, about needing one another healthy to receive their payout, that stopped her from doing something rash.

“Oliver Hayes… He’s quite talented with his hands..” She knew exactly how it sounded, and that was the entire point… to leave Zach thinking their other team mate had gotten the taste she’d refused him. “I haven't seen him hanging around -” Her phone buzzed at the same time his own device alerted him…

Oliver Hayes is being held on a drunk & disorderly charge. All three must be present in order to accept the contract.

“I guess we’re making a detour to the Tombs…” Nyx made her way back to the elevator that would carry them down into the bowels of the building, paying no attention to whether Zach was with her or not. Once the doors slid closed, and they were slone she broke the silence, “Just so you know… I may need you now, but eventually this job will be over. That suitcase won't protect you when I have no need to keep you alive.” Her voice was steady, calm and barely more than a whisper, she didn't even turn to look at him as the words left her mouth as casually as most people talked about the weather.

4P1y9cB.png

N Y X

Last edited:

They walked back to the elevator in relative silence, apart from the sounds of his suitcase being wheeled on the floor. They waited for each other to press the button, and Zach gave in, he was technically the closest to the button, even if he preferred to make her call it. But once in the elevator, he could not hold the corners of his lips from smiling. Between the comment about Oliver being talented with his hands, and the threat, it did sound like he successfully got under her skin. There was something about young, feisty women that just attracted him. He was not particularly proud of it, not at his age. He wiped the smile off his face before he continued. – "This threat can work both ways, in fact, many different ways…" – Zach went silent abruptly and held a pause. – "Nyx.".

He keyed the code for the tombs and felt his guts lift a few inches up as the elevator raced down, to minus three. The warmth in his chest prompted by his ability to get under her skin this fast dissipated rather quickly, but her comment about Oliver being good with his hands did not. It irked him a little more than he cared to admit. She was cute it would be a shame if all that cuteness was just for that Oliver chap.

The tomb was converted into underground parking. From the looks of it's foye – haphazardly. The haphazardly made reception desk was placed in front of the haphazardly made drywall, that was manned by a woman in her fifties who sat there with her tablet, doing crosswords or sudoku.

"Hello. Zach Evans, we are here to see and bail out Oliver Hayes.". – Zach said and carefully leaned against the counter slowly rolling his suitcase under it.

She looked at him without any enthusiasm. – "New guy?" – She asked and slowly set the tablet on the counter and started to type something into her console. She typed a lot more words than Zach would have expected, more than two words, his eyes met with Nyx, as he tried to ask her with his glance if this was normal.

"Yup. New guy. The bail is set to be automatically paid when Zach Evans and somebody called Nyx are here to pick him up. It says that you might be liable for the damage he does." – She said flatly, and fished two more tablets. – "Sign here. This one for Zach, this one for Nyx." – The woman said, and without waiting for them to sign, picked up her personal tablet with sudoku and continued to solve it.

Zach read through the short notice, it did seem like they would try to come with damages, but he did not see how would they be able to enforce any of that. He skimmed through the bail agreement for the second time and signed it. Let them come.

"Wait there." – The woman pointed at the row of extremely uncomfortable plastic chairs. – "Oliver will be here soon." – The did not have to wait for long, in less than five minutes the door was opened, and a man walked into the reception area.

b3CIkQ0.png

Z A C H

There was no way in hell she was leaning across him to push the button. It was just a matter of waiting him out. It really didn't take that long for Nyx to claim her victory, a little smirk hitching up one corner of her mouth. Though it faded quickly at his response. If looks could kill the look she shot him from the corner of her would have been fatal. “And every one of them ends with you dead or, worst case scenario… a eunuch,” it was almost a whisper but he’d easily hear it over the mechanical whirring as the car dropped making her stomach lurch, “Zach.”

He had definitely gotten under her skin, there was no denying that, but she was pretty sure she'd gotten into his head. Her little comment about their third was probably needling him… at least a little, his ego was likely bruised. In truth Nyx hadn't actually experienced Oliver's hands, not on her body anyways. He’d worked on her bike a few times, done some custom work for her. Despite the man’s record and reputation it had all been rather professional, which was more than she could say for her experience with Zach. It was a shame that his personality made him so tempting to punch, he was actually quite good looking, and -

The ding of the elevator reaching its destination, and the resulting jerking of the car halted that thought before she could finish it… thankfully. This was a job, and she didn't need to be getting distracted. Not by Zach, and not by the equally attractive bad boy they were about to spring from jail. Maybe Baz was right, she did need to take a break… relax, let her hair down and go a little wild… get laid. It had been far longer than she was willing to admit since she’d done anything of the sort. Even now she felt guilty considering a vacation… it wasn't important, right now, she would have plenty of time to consider it properly once this contract was completed.

She stepped off the elevator shead of Zach, her eyes scanning the makeshift jail that has been hurriedly built. Hell, they probably could have broken him out with little fuss, though being hunted down by their own kind didn't sound like a great time, and that was what would inevitably happen. She approached the desk, but let Zach do the talking since he seemed to think he was good at it. When he looked at her she gave a small shrug of her shoulders, she'd never been to the Tombs here in Elysian. The last thing she needed was her father being informed, so she did her best to stay off the radar when she was in the city.

“Damages?” The one word question went unanswered, and a tablet was shoved towards her hand. Nyx quickly skimmed before signing it with a sigh, all but throwing it back at the woman. She took one look at the plastic chairs and her lip curled, she had no interest at all in planting her in the most uncomfortable chair she’d ever seen. “I think I’ll stand…” the look she got in return from the woman behind the desk was scathing, but she eventually went back to her sudoku and ignored them both. Fortunately, they weren't left waiting long, probably because someone important was pulling strings, it was the only way anything bureaucratic ever moved this fast, making her curious what the job actually was.

“Rough night, big guy?” She kept her voice low in case he was nursing a hangover, but it was certainly a much warmer greeting than Zach had received.

4P1y9cB.png

N Y X

Never, in the countless amount of times of Oliver being booked and processed into the Tombs, had the thirty four year old gotten out less than a day later. He never caused much trouble while inside the 'safe house', but it was enough to warrant him an almost permanent cell slot when he was kicking around. Enough for him to know not to mess with the old bird at reception. And enough to know that no one ever got out before a twenty four hour mark. So it came as a huge shock to the disorientated man when his cell was being bombarded with a sharp and loud clank of one of the guards' baton sticks to wake him up from a much needed slumber. Confused and delirious, Oliver was escorted from his 'cozy' little bunk, and given absolutely no answers when he inquired what was going on.

Answers he felt more curious about the moment he was released into the reception area, and his brown eyes scanned the three people waiting. The woman behind the desk hadn't been a surprise; but seeing Nyx with a man he couldn't place was strange. Intriguing.. but strange.

"Oh, you know me - I like it rough." Maybe she didn't know that - not properly, but that never stopped Oliver from joking with the woman before.

Heavy boots carried his large form towards the receptionist's desk, and the woman looked up briefly from her tablet to address the hulking man covered in tattoos. She gave him the slightest half-smile, before nodding. "You know the drill, Mr. Hayes." Oliver returned her half-smile with a full one, amplifying his charm exceptionally towards the older woman, as he'd grown used to doing on his visits. "Lookin' lovely as ever, Janet. New cut?" he questioned nonchalantly as he signed off on his release screen, setting her work tablet back down. As his eyes lifted to the older woman, she was giving him a cold glare, but she couldn't hide the slight smirk she wore on her lips. "Same hairstyle I had when you were booked, Mr. Hayes."

"Ah, yeah.. I was a little drunk.." Janet looked up from her sudoku, penciled eyebrows lifted in bemusement. "Okay.. a little more than a little." She lowered her eyes to gaze over his signature, and gave a curt nod. "Try and make it few weeks before you end up back here - James is getting tired of seeing your face." Oliver gave her a knowing smile as she brought up the regular guard. He flexed his right hand before his left covered the bruised and still bloodied knuckles, testing them discreetly for any breaks now that he was relatively sober. Hungover, but sober enough to feel pain.

Turning to face the duo, his eyes overlooked both of them for a moment. Nyx was a welcome, but surprising, sight - the man behind her was completely unknown to the mechanic however. Oliver's hands slicked over his pulled back hair, content when he felt that most of his longer strands of hair were still held within the loose 'manbun' that he'd locked it up in. "Who's your little friend - and the fuck are you guys even doing here? Don't tell me you bailed me out because your baby needs a tune up already." The oil and grease stains that coated his grey tee shirt would be enough to tell even the most unobservant person that his free time was taken up with tinkering with something that contained an engine. Oliver didn't mind leading the way out of the room as he waited for answers, casually glancing over his broad shoulder as he guided the way back towards the elevator shaft.

C88CEwg.png

O L I V E R

Zach felt fucking agitated, fuck that. Livid. And then he remembered the good old days of the military academy. Military intelligence courses to be precise, the mentor was always saying, that it was important to know when to de-escalate. De-escalate, de-escalate. He used to say. Zach was not always a good student though. "I wish I was smaller. Would have been much easier to dodge all that overcompensation you are whirling around." Zach said and then squeezed not without some effort a smile, and extended his hand. "I'm Zach if you're done posturing…" He went silent and squeezed some more juice into that completely artificial smile of his. "Look, man. We have a lucrative job to do. I'd like to get a lot of money, and apparently, we can't do it, unless all four of us accept the contract." He said. He held his hand for another ten or so seconds, and if Oliver did not shake it, he would just shrug and put the hand away. Otherwise, he would shake it firmly.

"I'm going to accept the contract on my communicator," Zach said to the group and wobbled his suitcase. "I need to hit the motel, and then make some calls." He turned his attention back to Nyx and moved his shoulders a little uncomfortably. As if he wanted to say something in private. "Drop me a list of gear that we might need. I still have connections in the city, should be able to get at least some of it." He told her. He felt like offering to her to start over. Maybe even apologising for being a smart-ass jerk hole upstairs, but could not really bring himself, he knew that words would not come out. Especially not in front of Oliver the Compensator.

De-escalate. Oliver, the vehicle guy. Zach corrected the label he assigned to the guy. "So, I suggest that we all go upstairs now, to the desk, get the contract details and as Nyx suggested, we can kill each other later, after the contract is done," Zach said and did not wait for them to respond, instead he made his way back to the elevator and called it.

b3CIkQ0.png

Z A C H

The sound of heavy boots thudding against the floor heralded his arrival, and while Nyx didn't exactly run to him, there was an obvious shift in her demeanor. One corner of her mouth even curled up forming what could have been construed as a smile on her lips. His response to her question was met with an amused snort, and a barely perceptible shake of her head. She wasn't at all surprised that Oliver was on a first name basis with the woman behind the desk, nor that the old bird seemed to find him charming. He had that way about him, unless you gave him a reason not to be, which…

Nyx was about to make the introduction when Zach opened his mouth. For a moment all she could do was stand there speechless, this couldn't all have to do with her little comment, she wasn't conceited enough to believe that. There had to be something else going on with him, but she didn't exactly have time to play armchair psychologist to try and figure it out.

She shot Zach a look, hoping he would just shut his mouth, and let her handle explaining why they were there, even though he seemed incapable of it. She turned back to Oliver, hoping his hangover had him sluggish enough that he hadn't quite processed the other male’s tone. The last thing she needed was for the two of them to end up in cells… or worse for her to get locked up with them. “You know no one touches Charon but you… but, no… that's not why we’re here bailing you out.”

Before she could get any further into explaining things Zach had started back up, and she just let out a sigh. “All four of us? Are you counting your ego as a whole separate person now?” It was clear that something about the man had burrowed under her skin… and stuck, something she couldn't just shake off. It was distracting and frustrating, and… she let out a deep sigh, “We need you Oli…” In truth there wasn't that big of difference, size wise, between the two men. Oliver might have had an inch or two on Zach… the main difference was their builds. Zach was built for speed, and Oliver for brute force… both of which were equally useful… Hazel green eyes turned up to catch the mechanic's gaze, trying to gauge what way he was leaning, whether he was going to be willing to accept the job or not.

She was already ready to be done with this job… “I’m not agreeing to anything without knowing more, this whole thing feels… sketchy…” Her eyes narrowed on Zach as he seemed like he had something else to say, only to issue her an assignment. Did he just make her his de facto secretary? She stared at him, for several seconds, fighting the instinct to snap at him, “I won't know what we need until I have the details… I suggest..” He cut her off again, and she bit down on the inside of her cheek, “Yeah… we’ll meet you at the desk… if Oliver is in.” She looked back at the mechanic nodding her head towards the elevator, “You in, big guy?”

4P1y9cB.png

N Y X

It was obvious to the tattooed mechanic that he had ruffled feathers - feathers he didn't even know were there to be ruffled. It made the slightest look of amusement cross his features as he listened to Nyx and Zach, getting entirely different vibes from either of them. But in the end, they were both on the same page about one thing; needing him. Oliver took a moment to consider the hand that Zach had offered him, and deciding to keep the 'hatchet' out of the equation, the man grasped the hand before him with a taught shake of introduction. The squeeze didn't last long, and it was done mostly to keep things civil; he allowed the look of amusement to seep into a facade of indifference.. but on the inside, he was considering how forgiving he was going to be if Zach kept up with his loose lips.

For now.. it wasn't enough to warrant any bark back.

"Fuck, like I got anything else to do - I'm in." Easy going, all smiles, no push back at all. All lies that he wore well, allowing the facade to remain glued to his features until his back turned and he faced the elevator. Once he knew his face was hidden, the smile wiped away, and a stoic expression crossed his features. The expression would be wiped away quickly if anyone were to glance in his direction, but as they waited for the elevator to open, Oliver couldn't help but let his mind wander.

He'd been expecting the contract. He had expected some bodies to come with it. But he hadn't anticipated one of them would be Nyx.

The group had split after they all read the 'fine print' and signed their souls names off to the contract. A few hours had passed; Oliver had successfully bailed his motorcycle out, convinced Nyx to a few beers back at his place while he packed a bag, and then the duo made their way to the motel they were supposed to be staying in. It was a predetermined location, one Oliver usually wouldn't have chosen, but it was right up his alley for price range and discretion. High end individuals wouldn't have been caught dead even glancing at the motel sign, but that was perfect for what they needed. Discretion. It had been easier to ensure that the room was already laid out with bugs - little flies on the wall that their employer intended to use to keep tabs on the trio. And as the mechanic drove Nyx into the parking lot, it was easy for him to act as though everything was nonchalant.

As nonchalant as a guy could be with a beautiful woman burying her hands in the pocket of his hoodie, dangerously close to his crotch, at least.

Zach was waiting for them, as he said he'd be. Oliver cut the engine in the parking spot the man was hovering near, assuming that their room was in front of the open space. As Nyx handed the helmet that he'd made her wear back to him, he leaned back against her for a moment, making an obvious head nod towards Zach as he did. "He always look like he's got a stick up his ass?" he asked lowly, with the chuckle that ensued after it much more obvious. Pocketing the keys, the man eased the kickstand up on the heavy motorcycle and stood. Taking the bag he'd asked Nyx to carry for him from her, he shouldered it and then opened one of the saddlebags on the bike. A still cool bottle of beer was withdrawn, and he followed their femme fatale towards the waiting man. Without a word, he held the beer out towards Zach to take, managing to withhold his urge to toss the beverage.

C88CEwg.png

O L I V E R

Zach was standing in front of the motel, he was wearing a fitted blazer that obviously seen its better days but was tailored specifically for him, he did not have a lot of those left. He still needed wheels of his own, using a taxi was a little amateurish, but he was not ready to splurge on a rent-a-car or risk arrest and steal one. Maybe, just maybe if he worked on his social skills he would be able to get some kind of deal with Oliver, but then he remembered the gun that he ordered for his "colleague" and could not hold the smirk. I'll work on my social skills tomorrow, or the day after after tomorrow. He felt a buzz on his wrist and pulled his phone out.

"The delivery is on its way. Should arrive at your location within an hour."​

He read the message and heard the loud vibrating noise of Oliver's bike, and then he saw him park. Some primal part pushed its fingers right into his chest when he saw how close Nyx and Oliver were, they exchanged a few lowly words that he could not hear. Words that he both wanted to hear and did not. You don't even know her. Chill. You don't want to get attached. He tried to convince himself as he quickly typed.

"Ack." He responded with a single word, the short for acknowledged.​

"Thanks," Zach said, receiving a bottle of chilled beer from Oliver. He was not sure about Nyx, but Oliver did have a faint odour of beer on him. He pushed the phone back into his pocket and opened the bottle, feeling that they already had theirs. "This is the room," Zach said. "For posterity's sake, I did not want to enter before we all arrived," he continued and looked at the other two to see if anyone was particularly interested in opening the door first. They had all received a copy of the keys. "If no one cares, I'll open it then," Zach said after a few seconds of silence. He fished his keys from his pocket and opened the room.

The room was modified; there was no bed. Instead, there was an extra couch and a large dining table in the middle of the room, with three chairs. It was quite clearly prepared to be their "office". Zach was planning to check the room for bugs, but he also wanted to see what Nyx and Oliver would do—what would be their first go-to actions, things to check. He slowly walked, skirting along the walls. He closed the blinds before walking in front of the windows and knocked on the walls to check which ones, if any, were load-bearing. Just in case, as you do, perfectly normal thing, to see through which wall spec ops are more likely to breach the room.

He looked at his partners again, and then pulled a rectangular plastic device out of the pocket of his blazer and switched it on. The device made a very quiet humming noise as he walked around the room, and the longer Zach walked, the darker was his face. The device did not have any other visible interface, except the sound, so the pair of mercs were probably a little bit confused at the man's behaviour. After a few minutes of this, Zach switched the device off, put the device back into his blazer and said. "Nope, this room sucks." And with that he walked out of the motel room and back into the parking lot, pulling his phone out.

"Delay the delivery. Will send new address." He typed and waited for his colleagues.​

"The place is bugged by some high-tech military-grade bugs. The signal was uniform through the entire motel room, whoever installed it, made sure that there was no blind spot for the bugs." The ex gun dealer said.

b3CIkQ0.png

Z A C H

Even after reading the contract Nyx was still apprehensive. It just felt… off. Despite the hallmarks of an official bounty, the client was technically listed as anonymous, add in the fact that they would only send the target identity when they reached the specified location, and… well, it made for a very unhappy hunter. She didn't like leaving things to chance, she wanted all of the information up front so she could account for all of the variables. She also wasn't so sure about Zach… and Zach didn't seem too thrilled about working with Oliver… or maybe it was her, maybe both of them… It was really difficult to tell. The main factor that made her agree, that convinced her to sign her name on the proverbial dotted line, was Oliver. She trusted him to have her back. She knew his reputation, knew what other hunters said about him, but… he’d never let her down when it came to her bike, she doubted her life would be any less safe.

She’d left her own bike in the garage at the Omni, choosing to tag along with Oli to rescue his own. Once they were settled she could send word to Baz to have her stuff sent over to the motel that had been designated as their safehouse for the job. The stop at the mechanic’s shop/loft took a little longer than expected, mostly due to them catching up over a few beers before any actual packing was done. A peace offering in the form of a cold brew was tucked away in one of the saddlebags, while Nyx threw his bag over her shoulders before climbing on behind him.

It had been a long time since she’d ridden bitch, but her small frame made her a perfect little backpack. She curled her arms tightly around his waist, shoving her hands into the pockets of his hoodie to keep them from getting wind chapped, letting her thighs squeeze around his hips to keep her firmly rooted on the seat. By the time they reached the motel she had little thought to consider how it might look to Zach, seeing them arrive together that way, all she was focused on was getting the helmet that was both too large, and too heavy off of her head.

Nyx shook out her, and then reached around to place helmet squarely in Oliver's lap, her arm still curled around him as he leaned back against her. Her lips curled into a grin, and she even giggled a bit, her eyes cutting over to the lone figure of their third and then leaned back into the mechanic, “He might just need time to loosen up, we should give him a chance.” Maybe it was the beer, or maybe she actually saw some potential in the former arms dealer… though it was probably the beer.

After passing off Oli’s bag, she was swinging her leg over the bike, and getting onto her feet then leading the way over to their partner, her eyes looking past him to the motel room door. Her lip kinda curled as she actually took a good look at the place. She had definitely stayed in worse, but this was definitely not a place she would choose to stay if she had a choice in the matter. She gave a small nod for Zach to open the door, her hand slipping into her boot and coming out with a karambit that she held tucked into her palm, blade ready. She slid in past Zach, her back to the wall as she made her way to the bathroom, using her booted foot to push the door open before peeking inside to declare it clear. The same procedure was done with the closet, before she returned back to the main, single room area.

Something about it just felt… wrong. It was too staged, and she didn't like it one single bit. She watched as Zach waved around the little device, waiting for him to say anything… But, even if she wasn't certain about him, what he said was enough that she followed him out of the room without question. His declaration about the bugs, once they were outside, had her throwing up her hands. “Of course it's fucking bugged…” she had known there was something funky about this from the beginning, and this just seemed to confirm it.

4P1y9cB.png

N Y X

Back
Top Bottom