Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Question Self Promotions?

FickleVixen

Planetoid
So, I've checked through the rules and scoured the questions board and didn't see anything about this, I'm sorry if I missed it, but is there a rule against Self promotions? To give a little context, I am a fantasy author and was curious if I could add a link to my book in my signature or something like that?

I would definitely wait to see what a member of Staff says or Admin says first.

But taking a look at the rules again myself on advertising. The first being no advertising other writing forums or discord servers that are not your own and seeking BMR-members with bmr-approved rules. The second is no posting any gofundme/patreon/or money-linking sites. If the link to your book doesn't fall under either of those categories then I don't see why it wouldn't be allowed to advertise since you theoretically could just make a journal on site that provide even snippets of your own work.

I would still wait to hear from a member of Staff though to get a definite answer and perhaps even clarification on the rules when it comes to personal works.

So, I've checked through the rules and scoured the questions board and didn't see anything about this, I'm sorry if I missed it, but is there a rule against Self promotions? To give a little context, I am a fantasy author and was curious if I could add a link to my book in my signature or something like that?
If you haven't already, I'd send a dm to one of them and hear about it šŸ«¶

But as pontiff said, if your link directs one to a site where money could be transferred then that's probably not allowed. Your best bet is to hit one of them up, if they don't answer here!

Hello!

Sorry for the delay in getting a reply to this question.

We don't have a hardline rule against it, but I do feel this falls under things like commissions and such where BMR is unable to moderate the transactions and we'd rather not see it on side so as to avoid the headache it could cause.

Hello!

Sorry for the delay in getting a reply to this question.

We don't have a hardline rule against it, but I do feel this falls under things like commissions and such where BMR is unable to moderate the transactions and we'd rather not see it on side so as to avoid the headache it could cause.
Due to my own perverted curiosity, would she be allowed to talk about it? And then if someone was interested, in the chance that it is something to be purchased, would they be able to Dm her and ask for a link/more information? Or would that also be falling under the above?

Iā€™m very curious/anxious to see what the answer is for this soon, as I have just announced my own novel on my profile, which has garnered a group chat that has a few members interested in hearing updates. I also plan to provide more details/snippets/updates in the coming weeks and months on my journal. As more users think of using their experiences here as a launching pad for a creative project, the need to address this issue will only grow.

The biggest point of confusion I have is around monetization. It seems like things that are bright negatives include Patreon, Ko-fi, things like that that create an ongoing relationship through another site that would be difficult for BMR to moderate. But what are/should be the rules around linking out to separately purchased ebooks?

I suppose things would be murkier if the transaction is conducted on site (Iā€™m not sure how that would work or what @Revelations means by this though? Surely a hosted ebook link sent by PM isnā€™t ā€œonsiteā€?) However it seems like as long as users bear sole responsibility for commerce on external sites such as the Kindle, Nook, Kobo etc. stores everything should be fine, right?

I suppose things would be murkier if the transaction is conducted on site (Iā€™m not sure how that would work what @Revelations means by this though). However it seems like as long as users bear sole responsibility for commerce on external sites such as the Kindle, Nook, Kobo etc. stores everything should be fine, right?
This is a good question, and honestly not one I have an answer for - not to shuck responsibility onto someone else but this might be more of a Vekseid question. I will admit personally I don't see too big an issue if say, someone has a book on amazon (A verified site where people can receive actual products), and wanted to sell it. It's a fair deal different from commissioned artwork in its myriad forms or things like a patreon where content isn't guaranteed.

Apologies for kind of a copout answer but this is the first time it's come up (to my knowledge), and the best I can say is 'It needs to be discussed'. Just because I don't see much issue in it doesn't mean other admins may be for it.

Iā€™m very curious/anxious to see what the answer is for this soon, as I have just announced my own novel on my profile, which has garnered a group chat that has a few members interested in hearing updates. I also plan to provide more details/snippets/updates in the coming weeks and months on my journal. As more users think of using their experiences here as a launching pad for a creative project, the need to address this issue will only grow.

The biggest point of confusion I have is around monetization. It seems like things that are bright negatives include Patreon, Ko-fi, things like that that create an ongoing relationship through another site that would be difficult for BMR to moderate. But what are/should be the rules around linking out to separately purchased ebooks?

I suppose things would be murkier if the transaction is conducted on site (Iā€™m not sure how that would work or what @Revelations means by this though? Surely a hosted ebook link sent by PM isnā€™t ā€œonsiteā€?) However it seems like as long as users bear sole responsibility for commerce on external sites such as the Kindle, Nook, Kobo etc. stores everything should be fine, right?
I saw your post and had that in mind as well when asking. I couldnā€™t remember who posted it but I knew it was out there!

I saw your post and had that in mind as well when asking. I couldnā€™t remember who posted it but I knew it was out there!
Iā€™m glad you did and brought this up, because this is a great reminder of all factors to consider on my self publishing journey!
This is a good question, and honestly not one I have an answer for - not to shuck responsibility onto someone else but this might be more of a Vekseid question. I will admit personally I don't see too big an issue if say, someone has a book on amazon (A verified site where people can receive actual products), and wanted to sell it. It's a fair deal different from commissioned artwork in its myriad forms or things like a patreon where content isn't guaranteed.

Apologies for kind of a copout answer but this is the first time it's come up (to my knowledge), and the best I can say is 'It needs to be discussed'. Just because I don't see much issue in it doesn't mean other admins may be for it.
@Revelations thank you for your candor. I think I'm going to make an FAQ and draft guidelines around the eventual ebook listing in my journal based on my understanding of your response sometime this week. If this works it may help other authors navigate the rules, and if different rules are put in place later I can always change them. I do hope @Vekseid will respond to this sooner than later.

Glad I can help how I can and congratulations on your book!

Iā€™m glad you did and brought this up, because this is a great reminder of all factors to consider on my self publishing journey!

@Revelations thank you for your candor. I think I'm going to make an FAQ and draft guidelines around the eventual ebook listing in my journal based on my understanding of your response sometime this week. If this works it may help other authors navigate the rules, and if different rules are put in place later I can always change them. I do hope @Vekseid will respond to this sooner than later.
My pleasure, cant wait to follow you on that!

Well I didn't want to step on your toes here. I'm not personally against monetization, but have been burned by allowing links to some Patreons that took decidedly shady turns over on Elliquiy.

So I can see where the staff here are coming from.

I'll set up a thread over in Modsplace where I can lay out my expectations (e.g. no MLMs or other scams), and @Admins can clarify the rules accordingly.

Well I didn't want to step on your toes here. I'm not personally against monetization, but have been burned by allowing links to some Patreons that took decidedly shady turns over on Elliquiy.

So I can see where the staff here are coming from.

I'll set up a thread over in Modsplace where I can lay out my expectations (e.g. no MLMs or other scams), and @Admins can clarify the rules accordingly.
Looking forward to seeing that, while also relieved that it seems ebooks on trusted sites are probably fine.

Thank you everyone for the answers! And thank you @Origami for asking questions I never even would have thought about asking myself.

I can definitely assure that no link ever associated with my book will be connected to a money-linking site or anything like it. Everything has been handledā€¦ well, by the book.

And of course, @CasualVelociraptor congratulations on your book as well!

Thank you everyone for the answers! And thank you @Origami for asking questions I never even would have thought about asking myself.

I can definitely assure that no link ever associated with my book will be connected to a money-linking site or anything like it. Everything has been handledā€¦ well, by the book.

You're so welcome! I'm sorry we kinda hi-jacked your thread šŸ˜‚šŸ«¶ I'm glad I could be of help!

Thanks! Is your book published or are you working on it still like me?

Back
Top Bottom