Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

⋮⋮ petals。 in the ❛ river ❜ → feelsHASkilig && lilacmoods

feelsHASkilig

Solo Conversationalist

3Y7HhXI.png

lilac feels is back baby!
the day has finally come! lilacmoods has returned to me after going into rp retirement for sooooo long. it was just a matter of waiting patiently for her to crack lol.

welcome to another episode of "i had rp ideas a looooooong time ago that i'm waiting for my friends to claim". this time, miss moods wanted very much to claim my post spirited away idea. i don't even want to disclose how long i've been holding on this idea...for it will reveal my elderly age lol. all you need to know is that i am wholeheartedly ready and willing to open the dusty ass box that is this muse~

shoutout to this fanart for insta fueling me with muses all those years ago. also also shoutout to moods for the thread graphics!

please enjoy!

Last edited:
XvZeVLN.png

X X X X X X X X CHIHIRO X X X X OTHERS »

o-once you do something ✎ you never forget ° even if you can't r-remember ♡
The same lucky hair tie she’d had since she was ten years old. That was the one Chihiro pulled from around her wrist and used to put her hair up into a bun. It was the same one that glittered in the reflection of the coffee shop windows as she crouched down.

She erased yesterday's specials from the chalkboard. A breeze swept down the sidewalk as she checked and double checked that she’d gotten every last speck of chalk.

"Chihiro, you’re far too picky," Aina teased. "It’s plenty clean already."

Chihiro didn’t respond, not even as her friend squatted down next to her.

Mizushima Aina, one of her best friends from university. The two of them had been inseparable since their first year as roommates. Aina was creative, smart, and funnier than anyone else Chihiro had ever met. And one of the few that actually looked good with her grown out hair, her black roots somehow adding to the deep burgundy she’d dyed it ages ago.

A laptop was placed onto the step nearest them with a new list of daily specials displayed. Aina said something about wanting to keep up with the flower theme, since customers seemed to enjoy that most. She pushed her wire rimmed glasses back up her nose as she pulled up reference photos on her phone.

Chihiro had already started to write out the beverage and food names in the neatest handwriting she could manage. Flowers and leaves were then doodled in opposite corners, with petals floating along the sides.

"Did you still want help with the windows too?" Chihiro asked. She wiped away a few petals and redid them.

"Oh, right, yeah! Just gimme a second." Aina stood and hurried back inside.

Wiping off her hands of chalk, Chihiro stood herself and stretched her legs. She sighed with a glance up at the blue sky. It had just started to brighten up in the early morning light, waking up with the rest of the world. And the cool air from the night before slowly turned warm. Going inside seemed like such a waste of good weather.

When Aina returned, dragging out a small ladder from the back storage, Chihiro jolted into motion. She quickly grabbed it from her friend–who’d already started panting.

"Thanks," she mumbled sheepishly. "Y’know those hanging flower pots I brought today? I think they’d be perfect for hanging around the door."

Chihiro breathed a laugh as she worked on standing the ladder up beside the Just Deserts shopfront. “You could’ve just asked me to do it from the start,” she said.

“You already have so much on your plate, I wasn’t sure if you’d have the time.”

“I always have the time to help, Aina.”

Aina chewed at the inside of her cheek. “You sure? Even with that new, mysterious coworker we’ve got?”

Chihiro’s foot slipped from the bottom step of the ladder. She gripped at the sides to get her breath back. “What d’you mean?”

The question was enough to bring a renewed grin back to her friend’s face. Chihiro ignored it as she climbed.

“The newest manager has to keep a close eye on him–don’t you? I heard Hisakawa-san telling you yesterday.”

Determined to yet again ignore the implication behind Aina’s tone, Chihiro gestured for the first hanging flower pot to be handed to her. However, Aina kept it in her arms instead.

“Well?”

Chihiro heaved a sigh. “It isn’t different from training every other new hire, Aina. Don’t get any ideas.”

“Even when the new hire is handsome, polite, and just so happens to have the same name as–”

“Hush!”

Tilting over the edge of the ladder, Chihiro grabbed the flowers and pulled them from her friend’s grasp. No matter how hard she tried, though, she knew she couldn’t hide the furious heat across her cheeks.

The same name as her childhood imaginary friend.

Haku.

A swirling, fluttering sensation filled Chihiro’s stomach.

She’s forgotten that little detail from so long ago. That was, until their newest hire introduced himself at his interview. Chihiro had stared like an idiot, her mind overcome with memories of pretending to fly through the sky–the wind flowing through her hair and fluttering her clothes as she ran across fields. And when she’d looked into his eyes for an embarrassingly long amount of time, she’d sworn she’d recognized the very color of them. Like the reflection off of the water.

“It’s just a coincidence. That’s all,” Chihiro insisted.

“I think it’s cute,” Aina said quietly.

She laughed at the glare Chihiro shot her.

“I should’ve never told you.”

Aina leaned against the side of the ladder, holding it steady as Chihiro reached up to hang the first flower pot and then the next. She could feel her friend’s gaze glued to her. She wanted Chihiro to say what else was on her mind. She could tell. But instead of eagerness to gossip with Aina, all she felt was embarrassment.

Chihiro rested her chin on one of the ladder steps, narrowing her eyes at Aina.

“Don’t tell him.”

Aina laughed again. “I won’t, I promise.”

It wasn’t until Chihiro was back on solid ground that Aina spoke up again. “Though, in my opinion, Haku seems plenty interested in you already.”

Chihiro’s brows knitted together as she started to fold the ladder up. Her heart pounded a few extra loud beats against its cage. She swallowed harshly.

“No, he isn’t.”

“Sure he is. He hardly talks to anyone else but you.” Aina held her hands up defensively. “Not in a rude way! He’s always polite with the rest of us, but you should see the way he looks at you when you’re talking. He really pays attention to you, Chihiro–I swear.”

“He’s just a good learner, that’s why,” Chihiro reasoned with her. “Once he’s more comfortable at the job, he’ll open up with everyone else too.”

A shadow filled the entryway of the coffee shop. And with a lurch of her stomach, Chihiro feared it’d be the very same man they were talking about staring back at her. The thundering of her heart quelled when it was only the head manager, Kosuke, who came into view.

Idiot. She and Aina had come early before shift started to get the front ready. There was no reason for Haku to be there. Yet, as Chihiro’s fear dwindled, what was left was an odd sense of disappointment.

“You’re here surprisingly early,” Kosuke said. The comment was directed toward Aina specifically, his sharp eyes on her rather than Chihiro.

“Good morning to you too, Hisakawa-san,” Aina said with pointed cheer. “I came to help Chihiro set up the new shopfront decorations.” Before he could comment, she interjected with, “I already ran the ideas past Jiyoon.”

It was Chihiro’s turn to earn his attention. He always had an intimidating look about him, with his grand height and wide shoulders, but she knew it all to be only a facade. Kosuke was a gentle man, even underneath the hard exterior he walked around with. “She didn’t make you do too much, did she?”

Chihiro shook her head, biting back a smile when Aina balked.

“No, sir. I’m happy to help.”

With a nod, Kosuke offered to take the ladder back inside for them. He hefted it up much more easily than the girls had.

“Remember, I told our new hire to come in a bit before his shift so you could show him how to make this season’s new drinks.” When Chihiro didn’t respond right away, he turned back around to give her a steady look. “You didn’t forget, did you?”

Chihiro rid herself of the wide-eyed look that had surely taken over her face. She shrugged with a smile. “I remember now,” she replied earnestly.

Aina rolled her eyes. She was the one to always tell Chihiro she could tell a white lie now and then. But no matter how big or small of an issue, she just couldn’t bring herself to lie. Even when she felt stupid.

Kosuke vanished with the ladder.

“I’ll go ahead and do the window art on my own,” Aina said, “don’t worry about helping. You’ve done more than enough already.”

With a smile, Chihiro hurried inside to get ready.

Early summer had arrived, which meant with it came even brighter decorations and a plethora of refreshing drinks. Not to mention the newest pastries. The smell had long filled the coffee shop from the back kitchens. It threatened to make Chihiro’s stomach growl as she had to come even closer to grab her apron from her locker.

“Save something for me?” she called out.

A resounding confirmation echoed back from the kitchen staff.

Chihiro pulled the apron down over her head as she walked back to the front. Fixing her blouse before it could bunch up from the new layer, she then tied the back into a well-practiced bow. She fidgeted with it until it rested just right against her spine.

From underneath the counter, Chihiro found the baristas’ “book of secrets”. Aka: their binder of recipes. The bindings were well-worn and many of the laminated pages had long stained from use. It was a hefty weight and took an embarrassing amount of effort to comfortably lay out on the counter. Finding the tab for the summer season, Chihiro forced it straight open to the correct section.

With a pause, she found herself staring at the binder with a muddled mind. A sense of unease, restlessness had quickly overcome her.

Or, was it nervousness?

No–Chihiro hadn’t been nervous in so long, what was there to be worried about anyway?

It’d been happening right before work the past few days. And whenever she noticed it, her thoughts immediately fell to the newest member of their team. The quiet–”mysterious” was the word Aina liked to use–man who felt like he’d been dropped into the wrong time period. He didn’t fit their environment, no matter how easily he fell into the lulled quiet of her surroundings. There was something about him that stood out no matter how hard he seemed to avoid attention.

And even so, Chihiro couldn’t help but feel at ease once Haku was at her side. Before then she’d be so weirdly nervous and wholeheartedly agree with Aina that he was so weird for not having social media.

But then she’d realize he was right next to her. And it felt so natural, so easy and calm. As if she’d known him all her life.

It didn’t make sense.

That very same presence appeared from behind. Chihiro jolted and turned to find their newest hire, Haku, had already arrived.

“Good morning, Haku!” She greeted, pulling herself from her reverie. “Sorry you had to come in early, but I’m sure Hisakawa-san already told you how we have a bunch of new drinks for the summer season and it can be pretty daunting to learn them on the go. Especially since you’ve not been here very long.”

Chihiro found it easier to ramble when she could avert her gaze back to the recipe binder. “We’ll be using the blender a lot more as it gets hotter too, and we’ll need to keep track of the cold brew options so we don’t run out. But I made sure to get all of that ready when I got here earlier.”

She forced herself to stop avoiding his gaze. Her initial nerves had already subsided, thankfully, and the comfortability had returned. And as weird as it was that she could feel that way with essentially a stranger, Chihiro chose to lean into that as best she could.

If anything, so she wouldn’t become a stuttering mess.

“Of course, even while we’re taking orders, if you ever have any questions or need help I’ll be here. And Ken, too. Once he gets around to showing up.” Even though Haku never seemed like the type to ask many questions past the initial ones. He was an incredibly fast learner, so long as it had nothing to do with hashtags or tiktok dances.

“You’ll get enough time to practice while our morning regulars come through. They don’t usually go for anything seasonal. So, I’ll handle those orders while you work on what’s new.”

“Save a smoothie for me!” Aina shouted in from her station at the window. She’d already cleaned everything away and had started sketching out where the new drawings would go.

“The rest we can share between us and the kitchen,” Chihiro clarified.

Finally, the sense of ease had fully returned. Any butterflies that had filled her stomach had settled. And she was back to feeling like her usual self. With her returned confidence, Chihiro couldn’t help but grin as she looked up at Haku.

As handsome as he was, Chihiro recognized what she really saw in him. A soon-to-be friend.

An equally friendly sensation blew in with a strong breeze through the open shop door. Hurrying to save their place in the recipe book, Chihiro’s grin only widened.

“You ready?”

f09f7FK.png

cU9HYz2.png

shoutout to moods for the graphics! thanks babe!

It was unclear how long Haku had been sitting. Could have been minutes. Could have been hours. It was already late evening when he found an empty bench and sat down. Time slipped away from him as he stared at a group of apartments across the street. The longer he stared at the buildings though, the more the emptiness consumed him.

His home had been taken away from him for decades now. What was once a free flowing river now laid buried under feet of concrete. No one that lived in the very apartments that crushed his very being would have a clue what it was that was sacrificed to give them a home. And with more decades that passed, no one would even remember the Kohaku River.

Haku didn’t know why he traveled all the way here. It had been months since the last time he tortured himself by visiting the graveyard that was his spiritual home. Either way, with each visit, it was all the same. A chain of emotions cut through him the longer he stayed in the town and stared across the cold, still environment. The longer he surrounded himself among this still emptiness the more he mourned over the once roaring signs of life that had passed this very spot.

Grief. Pain. Anger. Numbness.

It was the same emotions in the same order. He learned that time will never heal the wounds that came with that first visit to the place where he lost everything. Especially when the time passed was spent trapped in a world that was not his own.

Haku sighed deeply as he collected his things and left his bench. The town was quiet, its residents fast asleep in the comfort and warmth of their homes. No one would dare bother their peace to investigate the lone man sitting across on a lone bench in the middle of the night, especially while it appeared that he was harmless. So Haku walked about this town uninterrupted. No stray human out at the odd hours of the evening stopped to watch him. In return, Haku extended the same courtesy. He kept every human he saw and passed well alone.

Before long, Haku found himself standing outside the gate of a traditional style house. Having been trapped in his own thoughts, he failed to notice his travels. It was only as he stared up at his temporary home while he was stuck in Tokyo—and then watching as the nearest street light flickered off—that he figured out what happened. What should have been a two hour drive home was only an hour walk for him. He lifted his gaze to the sky, closed his eyes and tuned into the winds that flowed past him.

It was the subtlest breeze in this warm, summer evening—or, the beginning signs of morning at this point—but it was enough to push and lead Haku back where he needed to be. As he opened his eyes, he whispered a private thanks to the wind. Then he remained frozen in his spot until he no longer felt its presence.

“Haku? Is that you?”

Haku stilled briefly to lift his gaze up from his shoes to look across the dark hallway. The house was dark, but he could sense an awakened presence through the narrow halls and small rooms. Then his gaze focused on the faintest strip of light peeking from the bottom of the bedroom door at the other end of the hallway.

Instead of responding immediately, Haku busied taking off his shoes and hanging his coat. He made sure to make as much familiar noise as he could so as to appease the one that spoke out to him. Long before he situated himself in this home, he knew that raising his voice would do him no good. He completely ignored the strange phenomenon that his movements were better heard than his voice throughout the house.

After a quick knock, Haku carefully slid the door open and peeked his head into the small bedroom. He was not surprised that the source of light he saw at the entryway was the light from the television. The volume was all the way down. Were he simply human, he would have thought it mute. But as he turned away from the bright colors and brighter subtitles, he heard the faint hints of sounds and voices.

“Hello, Yamamoto-sama. I’m home,” he greeted, projecting his voice so that the elderly woman could hear him.

Haku moved in with Yamamoto-sama a couple weeks after he decided to stay in Tokyo. At the time, he had been using the money he saved up over the years to stay in a hotel since he hadn’t quite yet figured out why he felt compelled to come into this loud, congested, bustling city. But the moment his purpose was made clear to him, he wasted little time finding an actual place to stay that wouldn’t eat up all of his savings. With help from the winds, he found a place to stay in no time.

Yamamoto-sama refused to be known as his “landlady” despite paying her rent every month. Despite her old age—or maybe because of it—her stubbornness had tried to persuade Haku to refer to her as “obaa-san” or even “obaa-chan”. But the very thought nearly caused Haku to break out in hives. He had never referred to any of the previous landlords and landladies so casually. So to compromise, Haku offered to refer to her as “Yamamoto-san.”

Obviously, Haku has failed his side of the bargain.

And, unfortunately, Yamamoto-sama noticed.

“Did you really just get home? I woke up as soon as you left, and I haven’t been able to go back to sleep,” the elderly woman huffed, crossing her thin arms over the layers of blankets on top of her. “You should have told me you were going to leave.” She paused to chew on her gums. “I would have convinced you not to.”

Among the many things he learned once moving in with Yamamoto-sama, Haku learned to simply let the woman talk. He knew just from the air around her that in her youth, Yamamoto-sama had a fiery spirit. While that spirit didn’t burn bright and hot in her old age, the embers still flickered every so often, especially when she was annoyed at him for being just as stubborn. But Haku knew that the fire would never burn him. If he let the woman just talk, her fire would calm to provide nothing but comfort and warmth.

“You look like you got carried by the wind. Did you travel far?” she asked, patting the space on her bed. Haku quietly stepped into the small bedroom and took a seat on the offered spot. As soon as he lifted his gaze to meet her old, tired ones, he knew she saw the answer. “You will find what you are looking for soon enough. Patience.” They sat in silence for a long while with the television being the only noise around them. By now, Yamamoto-sama ignored the program completely to focus on his expression. It was a small discomfort to Haku how attuned this woman was to even the smallest of emotions. To everyone around him, Haku was straight faced and stoic. But to the woman resting in front of him, he was practically an open book.

There were times when he wondered if she actually knew what he truly was.

“Go,” Yamamoto-sama suddenly said, patting his hand gently. “Get some rest. It would not do you any good to look tired for work.”

She was right, of course. But for Haku, it was easier said than done.

Ever since he got stuck in the human world, Haku has had trouble sleeping. Between the stress from being unable to return to the spirit world and the overwhelming feeling of being displaced in a world not his own, he struggled to turn his brain off long enough for a decent sleep. On lucky nights, he could manage a couple hours or maybe waking up every half an hour and then going right back to sleep. But those nights were rare and far between. Tonight was just that night.

In the house, Haku took up the entire second floor. At Yamamoto-sama’s old age, she no longer walked up the stairs for fear that she would fall and break…well…anything. So he had the second floor all to himself…so long as he didn’t mind sharing the space with everything that had been brought up here for storage. He didn’t. In fact, during the nights he found it impossible to sleep, he spent it cleaning up and organizing the clutter left up here. There was still so much to get through, but he was making some progress. He was no longer sharing his own small bedroom with all the sewing equipment Yamamoto-sama used to utilize before arthritis weakened her grip.

He was just about finished putting away most of Yamamoto-sama’s late husband’s clothes in boxes when he heard faint sounds coming from downstairs. He paused to figure out specifically what the elderly woman was doing, hobbling from her downstairs bedroom to what he could only assume was the kitchen. Sure enough, the first sounds of pots and pans told him that she was working on breakfast. That was when he looked over at the small digital clock resting on his bedside table. He was due to head to the cafe soon.

When he returned downstairs and walked right over to the kitchen, Yamamoto-sama had already prepared a small spread for breakfast. As he took a seat at the small table, he could feel the woman appraising his appearance. There was no escaping the brief sigh of disappointment at the obvious signs that he hadn’t slept like she instructed, but he picked up from his peripheral a nod of approval at his work uniform. She seemed to be satisfied that a man like him knew how to dress himself without “looking like those hooligans”. Whatever that meant….

After breakfast and making sure Yamamoto-sama was comfortable for the rest of the day, Haku announced that he was leaving from the entryway while slipping his shoes on and grabbing the rest of his things.

A strange sense of anxiousness settled deep in his stomach as he walked toward the nearest train station from the house. It was strange that this sensation didn’t seem to lessen the more times he traveled on this daily commute. Every day since he first moved into Yamamoto-sama’s house, he has waited for this feeling to settle; to feel comfortable in this new environment.

Today was not going to be that day. And as he waited for the train to slow to a complete stop so he could walk in with the rest of the commuters, he fought back the twisting anxious anticipation that suddenly crept in.

Suddenly, he flashed back to that day. And in that very moment, he knew exactly why he could never feel settled.

Flashbacks crossed in front of his mind as he rested against a railing. It wasn’t the exact spot from that day, but every train car looked exactly the same so it was easy for him to put himself back to that moment. Back to the moment he looked away from the train route at the very same moment something inside him told him to look. And there she was.

The entire time he had been stuck in the human world, Haku had never considered looking for Chihiro. Not because he was avoiding her. Of course he would take any chance he could to be with her again, but after being separated from her all this time, he couldn’t get himself to fulfill the promise he made her when she was ten. Would she even remember?

That day, he got his answer. Haku had been in the human world long enough to know not to approach someone out of the blue. Especially if that someone considered you a total stranger. He knew from the moment Chihiro looked up from her phone and looked right into his eyes that she had forgotten about him. For the first time in so many years they were finally face to face. This has been a moment he has imagined and dreamed about since he let her go, but it was all for nothing. She didn’t recognize him. And for the third time since she was ten, he let her go.

Only fate or some other higher power had other plans for them. Except that this time, it was Chihiro that came to rescue him. After that, one thing led to another and suddenly, he was employed at her place of work: Just Deserts.

Although he had been an employee at the cafe for over a week now, Haku still felt as if this entire situation was a kind of fever dream. Even after he clocked in and tied his apron, he often struggled to differentiate dream from reality.

Today was no different as he stood behind Chihiro at the drink station, listening and watching carefully while she demonstrated how to properly prepare JD’s apparent “summer specials”. There was the productive, rational part of him that paid close attention to the task at hand. He remembered as much of the instructions to the best of his ability and asked questions when necessary. But the other part of him, the one that he so often pushed to the dark when he deemed it pointless to have around, that just…could not believe she was standing right there. Right in front of him. Chihiro. In the flesh.

His Chihiro.

Only, he couldn’t help wondering if she was really still his Chihiro. The last time he had been this close to her, she was a naive child of ten; a scared little crybaby that somehow found her strength when she most needed it. Now, the Chihiro in front of him was a woman. Any trace of that little crybaby was gone and what he was faced with now left him breathless. From the first moment he caught a glimpse of her on the train that day, he was in awe of her beauty. She had grown up, that was for sure. She was now mature and seemed to have a decent head on those small shoulders. Would she have any need for him? Would she even bother?

Would she ever remember the time they spent together in the spirit world? Would she care about the troubles and horrors he had to deal with, alone, for the past few years?

No. His problems were not hers to deal with. They never were. Not all those years ago when she was just a child. And certainly not now as an adult. He had done everything he possibly could to protect her from his world. And he would continue to do so now.

“Thank you, Chihiro—” He barely stopped himself from adding the appropriate honorific to her name. She had already lectured him a handful of times that she didn’t wish that of him. He was getting there, but it was a struggle.

Haku quickly cleared his throat and stepped closer to the drink station. He briefly looked over the couple pages of recipes before returning his gaze down to Chihiro. “Which would you like me to prepare first?”

By the time the stream of morning regulars started to arrive, Haku had managed to prepare most of the new drinks by “okay” standards. He wasn’t offended when he was advised that his first attempts would need more practice. That was honestly to be expected. Besides, even after over a week as a barista at JD, he still was not fond of using the blender. Even with the cover, it was just too unbearably loud. Luckily for him, the other barista, Ken, had finally arrived for his shift and was advised to take on most of the specialty drinks for today—but to also make sure Haku took on a few orders for the practice.

Chihiro was right, though. None of the morning regular customers bothered with the summer drinks. This left him with some “paid down time” to continue learning foam art from the cafe’s owner, Jiyoon. The woman took pride in continuing her family’s legacy at the art of…foamart. And while Ken was decent at the basic leaf design, Haku showed some potential the first time he attempted a teddy bear for a little girl’s hot chocolate. From there, Jiyoon would take up the last half hour before his first break to continue teaching him more images to try for future requests. “My halbae would be so proud,” she would often say with each successful attempt.

Before Haku knew it, he was given the go ahead to take his lunch. He nodded as he finished cleaning up his work station then walked over to the back to hang up his apron. After grabbing his phone and wallet from his locker, Haku returned to the front of the cafe. For a random weekday, he was surprised to find the place pretty busy. Most of the tables were occupied by couples out on summer day dates sharing a bowl of ice cream or a piece of cake or families with small children creating more happy memories together. Haku watched for an extra second as a little boy tried to shove a big bite of cake into his tiny mouth before turning toward the cashier.

Chihiro was already looking at him with that unbelievably bright smile on her face. Has she always had that smile?

“Chihiro-sa—Uhm, sorry.” He rubbed the back of his neck and cleared his throat. “Hisakawa-san relieved me for lunch and I was thinking of going out to buy something to eat. Would you like me to pass by the convenience store and get you an onigiri before I return?”

5UxNwzN.png

Last edited:
XvZeVLN.png

X X X X X X X X CHIHIRO X X X X OTHERS »

o-once you do something ✎ you never forget ° even if you can't r-remember ♡
Chihiro’s teachers used to worry she would never be assertive enough. She’d become quiet by nature and was never one to lead others. But as she grew and faced more obstacles, she was forced into independence. Even she surprised herself with how she’d stepped into her still fresh manager role—and sure, it still wasn’t anything to brag about, but for Chihiro? She’d never expected to be viewed as any sort of authority figure.

Yet Jiyoon and Kosuke had seen something in her. And she was determined to live up to their expectations.

So, she taught Haku as she’d been taught by her elders and peers. Especially when she’d only been a part-time employee while juggling university full-time, she’d always appreciated the patience Jiyoon and Kosuke had provided her. She took care in not rushing Haku and relieved him of the pressure that could happen during morning rush—assuring him that she and Ken would take the majority of orders as he practiced.

And it wasn’t long until Chihiro found herself back in the day-to-day rhythm of the job. She chatted with their regulars and juggled each task with the next. All the while keeping an eye on Haku. Even when he didn’t seem to need it. She couldn’t help herself, glancing over at him whenever she found the moment. Occasionally she’d pause, watching as he worked, before Ken jostled her back into reality or Joy called for her at the cash register.

”Oh, manager-sama!” Ken’s voice broke through the cacophony of customers and machines. The young man gestured for her attention. “You seem distracted today. That’s unlike you.”

Chihiro frowned at his teasing tone, which only exacerbated his need to smile.

She spared a glimpse at Haku to check he was doing well with Jiyoon.

”Maybe you should worry about your own tasks, hm?”

Ken feigned pain in his chest. “I only wanted to see if there was anything on your mind, Chihiro.”

”Besides my co-worker being behind on his drinks?”

Chihiro made a point to take two of the cups from his line of waiting orders. With warmer weather came many more guests to Just Deserts, so even veteran baristas could get behind sometimes. But that didn’t keep Chihiro from chastising Ken. He was too quick to tease and goof off, even during high traffic hours. Which was frustrating—seeing as he was a good coworker otherwise. Chihiro just didn’t appreciate his inclination to poke fun at her.

But he was young, even from her perspective. So she ignored his lingering attention well. So far, at least.

Chihiro could feel him trace her line of sight when she paid attention to Haku again. Her heart fluttered in its cage, her face threatening to warm up when she caught the insinuating look Ken shot her.

”You’ve never been so watchful with me,” Ken said quietly.

”That’s because I was busy with university when you were hired, remember? If I’d been able to train you, I would have been just as attentive.” Chihiro quirked her eyebrows upward to emphasize her point, but it did little to weaken Ken’s amusement.

”I doubt that,” he said, his joking tone milder than before.

She watched him return to Jiyoon and Haku, seemingly intent on enhancing his foam art skills with his next order. Chihiro stopped herself from rolling her eyes as she finished up the cold brews with syrups and foam before sliding them down the counter to the awaiting customers.

Even with Ken’s insinuating tone, she couldn’t help herself but check on Haku again. Even she smiled with pride when Jiyoon complimented him on his growing skills.

Ken could so easily get under her skin. Even though Aina had teased Chihiro for similar reasons, there was something sharper in the way Ken purposely tried to rattle her. Like he was constantly trying to weasel words out of her. He assumed too much.

And the smugness that came over him when he caught her watching whenever a customer grew flustered over the sight of their newest, very handsome hire? It made Chihiro want to hide under the counter and spend the rest of her shift counting straws. But she steadied her breath, counted to ten, and resisted the urge to shove past Ken as she returned to Haku’s side.

She could tell how much he hated the blender and did her best to handle it instead. The sound of the ice gave Chihiro’s mind a moment of respite, without the pressure to rationalize how and why she felt the way she did.

It wasn’t worth stressing over. She was just doing her job.

Chihiro wanted to be Haku’s friend—and she didn’t need Ken making it awkward for either of them.

Soon enough the conversation was squashed by the lull of the mundane. She appreciated the sense of normalcy, as if they’d always had their newest team member. And honestly, the extra set of hands made a noticeable difference, even after just a week of having Haku with them. Even though his presence did bring some more attention in the form of passing, ogling eyes.

Aina had every intention of further utilizing that beautiful face to enhance their social media presence. Chihiro was surprised her friend hadn’t insisted on a full-blown photoshoot yet. Though so far, the candid photos she captured via her phone seemed to appease her for the time being.

”Good job with Haku’s training today,” Kosuke said, just as the post-noon quiet had settled in. “I bet by next week he’ll be plenty comfortable enough to handle most things on his own—but, we’ll continue to keep an eye on him, alright?”

Chihiro nodded. Jiyoon had created a very supportive environment with Just Deserts. Even seasoned employees had their bad days. All of them knew when to come together to help with anything and everything. And that was especially true when a new hire was thrown into the mix.

”Go ahead and take your break while it’s quiet.”

The mere thought of getting to enjoy some sunshine eased Chihiro into a happy smile. And it only widened with pride as Haku approached.

”Actually, if you don’t mind, could I join you? I’ve been dying to enjoy some of that beautiful weather all morning and could really use the fresh air,” Chihiro said as she pulled her apron up and over her head.

She bowed to Kosuke as she passed by to hang up her apron, grabbing her purse in the process. And the moment they stepped outside, Chihiro paused to tilt her head back, face warmed by the sun. Her eyes closed briefly and she took a deep breath in—content.

When she reopened her eyes, still looking upward, she peeked over at Haku. “You really don’t have to be so formal, y’know. Hisakawa-san looks and acts intimidating at times, but he’s really a sweet guy. He’s impressed with how well you’re doing!” She bit the inside of her cheek, tempted to not say what she wanted to next. But it was important to her that Haku knew how she—they—felt. “And so am I,” she ultimately admitted. “Good job today.”

Who knew being a manager could feel so embarrassing sometimes? Ugh. It was Chihiro’s turn to rub the back of her neck as she started in the direction of her favorite convenience store.

She hadn’t even realized how hungry she was until Haku had mentioned onigiri. Her stomach growled with excitement at the mere thought.

As they walked, Chihiro fished around for her phone and soon aimed its camera toward the sky. She snapped a few pictures of the fluffy clouds against the crystal blue backdrop, smiling to herself.

”Summer makes it so hard to work inside all day, doesn’t it?”

Chihiro was most at peace when the sky was visible and there was any hint of green nearby. Even if that was just the flower boxes settled between shop fronts and in tiny gardens tended to by neighborhood grandmothers.

The familiar chime of the convenience store entrance jingled as they entered. “Lunch is on me, okay? Pick out whatever you want,” Chihiro said. She immediately made a beeline for the nearest display of onigiri. “And I won’t let you say no,” she joked. “You might be older, but it’s my duty as manager to make sure you’re fed.”

Aina always teased Chihiro for her insistence on always buying at least two onigiri at a time. During particularly harsh finals seasons, Chihiro had even gotten caught double fisting her favorite food. She couldn’t eat just one—she always wanted more. Salted salmon was her pick of the day, paired with some bottled tea.

And despite the hesitation to pass on it, Chihiro couldn’t help herself from grabbing a candy bar on the way to the register.

Waiting for Haku to join her with his picks, she gathered it all up at the counter and paid. Anticipation for a full stomach had her happily hurrying out to one of the small tables just outside the store, beckoning him to follow.

”I think we should have enough time to sit for a bit,” she said.

Her legs appreciated the break. No matter how comfortable the shoes, by lunch time even Chihiro’s body started to ache from standing for so long. It made her think of the days when she’d been a weakling kid, hardly able to scrub the windows without whining about sore arms.

”By the way,” Chihiro started as she unwrapped the onigiri, “if Ken ever gives you too hard of a time, please let me know. He can be a tease and doesn’t always know when he’s crossed a line. And Joy tends to go easy on him, so if I don’t catch it, he can be a bit of an ass.”

After a few mouthfuls, Chihiro paused. “Though, I guess I’m not all that great at keeping him in line yet either,” she added. “In case it wasn’t obvious, I’ve not been a manager long, so I forget.”

She still wasn’t assertive enough. Not with people anyway.

Except when it came to talking to the man in front of her apparently. Soon enough, more words tumbled out as her mind rambled.

”You’ll fit in well, of course. I have no worries about that. I know it might feel daunting now, but by the time you’re done with your first month it’ll feel like you were always here.”

It already felt that way—oddly enough. For her, Chihiro still couldn’t grapple with the fact that she’d so easily taken to seeing him at work every day. It’d barely been over a week, he could quit the next day for all she knew.

”If you ever need extra help before or after shifts, you can always ask me and I’ll be there. Hisakawa-san did that for me for a while, especially before the holidays. Jiyoon loves to go all out for Christmas. Thankfully we don’t have to worry about any of that for a while though.”

Chihiro trailed off, sensing she’d talked for too long. Her whole body flashed hot with embarrassment.

”I’m sorry—I don’t usually go on like that, I swear,” she said sheepishly. “You’re just really easy to talk to.” Another pause. “Are you sure we didn’t go to the same school or something? University, maybe?”

Not just comfortability—there was familiarity there. Like she could easily start a conversation with Haku, as if they’d long passed the need for introductions and learning his character.

But that wasn’t possible. She’d not recognized any specific school on his resume.

Just as she’d started to unwrap her second onigiri, wishing to distract herself before she could ramble on some more, her phone vibrated with a ding. Expecting it to be Aina, Chihiro checked it without a second thought.

Instead, it was her mother. And a list of things she wanted Chihiro to grab from the grocery store before she visited her parents’ home later that evening for dinner.

Her smile faded. The onigiri was placed down. She responded swiftly, assuring her mother that she wouldn’t forget. It was to be her father’s favorite: beef stew and rice.

Before she could put her phone back down, Chihiro glanced at the time with a jolt. “Oops, looks like we should start heading back. I’d feel really bad if I made you late.” Her laugh softened her expression again. She slid her phone into her purse and stood.

”You should get back to honing your foam art skills. I’m awful at it, so hopefully you can avenge me against Ken.”

f09f7FK.png

cU9HYz2.png

shoutout to moods for the graphics! thanks babe!

There was something about human food that made Haku feel that it was…lacking. In the five years he has been stuck in the human world, he grew a tolerance for it, but very rarely did he feel satisfied when eating it. There are, of course, some exceptions to this. Human alcohol is unpleasant entirely, no matter how many people try to convince him otherwise. And despite his current job, it confuses him that humans enjoy coffee so much. By itself, it was incredibly bitter—despite Just Deserts being known for having the best pour over and drip coffee. Not to mention, one sip of the stuff and Haku honestly felt like he was about ready to turn back into his dragon form and fly hundreds of miles away in a matter of seconds. He just…didn’t get it.

But for Chihiro, he would pretend that he had an appetite for human food if it meant an opportunity to spend time with her. Alone.

Haku took a small sip of his bottled tea as he listened intently to Chihiro. It was something he noticed very quickly once he had her back in his life. She liked to talk, a lot. Not that he was complaining about that. It was moreso an observation he couldn’t help comparing to her time at the bathhouse when she was a child. She had never been the quiet type, but he preferred the way she spoke to him now than she had then.

Before he knew it, their lunch break was coming to its unfortunate end. As he collected his half eaten egg sandwich and tossed it into the nearby trash can, he observed Chihiro some more and couldn’t hide the frown forming on his face. Ever since she looked at her cellphone, there was a subtle exhaustion at the corner of her eyes. What had been on her cellphone to suddenly make her lose that gentle spark? A part of him wanted to ask, but even as the words formed and built up at the tip of his tongue, he hesitated. His time in the human world has taught him that with technically one week of time together—and most of it at work—it was not his place to “meddle.” So for the time being, he let it go. Maybe, if he played his cards right, she would find it in herself to let him into her confidence again.

For now, there was something he knew he could do for her that he had done before.

“Chihiro, wait,” he called out. He picked up her second onigiri and finished unwrapping it for her. Before handing it over though, he paused, his mouth barely moving as for a split second he focused solely on the food in his hand. Soon after, a brief but gentle gust of wind swept past him.

“Here,” he said, handing her the onigiri. “You should finish this. It’ll help keep up your strength.” What he kept to himself was that he placed a spell on it to provide her with enough energy to survive the rest of her day. He may have lost a majority of his magical abilities having been so disconnected to the spirit world for so long, but he was glad he could still do this for Chihiro. Just like he had all those years ago for the little girl who broke down in big, fat tears in front of him.

“Can I tell you a secret, Chihiro?” Haku started as they made their way back to Just Deserts. He made sure to slow his steps so as to keep her at his side and constantly in his periphery. Just like on the way to the convenience store, he kept his eyes forward and constantly on alert as he observed their surroundings for the both of them. He was still so unfamiliar with the city that he felt on edge over every person and narrow alleyway they passed.

When he saw Chihiro turn to look at him, he continued. “You don’t have to worry about Ken. He’s actually scared of me.” Okay, Haku was exaggerating a little bit. The truth was that his fellow barista, Ken, was intimidated by him. On his first day, Haku had picked up on the childish behavior from Ken and knew he had no patience for it. So while the rest of the staff shrugged off the teasing statements or rolled their eyes behind Ken’s back, Haku would often meet such behavior with a straight look directly at him. It wouldn’t take Ken long to fidget nervously under his gaze and rush back to his station without another word. Suffice it to say, outside of his superiors, Haku was the only person in the staff Ken never bothered with his antics.

“If he ever bothers you, feel free to release me on him. I’ll make sure he stops.”

Activity at Just Deserts remained at a lull after they returned to work. Haku was more or less left alone to continue studying the seasonal menu. Every so often, his height would be utilized if Jiyoon or Aina required his assistance with decorating the cafe. As if the place needed any more decorating. It was strange really. There was no denying the quaint, almost peaceful atmosphere of the cafe. Plenty of customers would come in to get work done or simply read. But…it was also just so…loud. Not entirely in the volume sense. While, yes, they attracted plenty of young friend groups that would often get lost in the excitement of their quality time together as well as families with young children, Haku always couldn’t help being distracted by the decor.

He had heard about Jiyoon’s tendency to over-decorate for the holidays—apparently a tradition she kept going after her great-grandparents, the original owners of the original location in Korea, passed away—and he found himself believing them just from the summer decor alone. He often wondered if there was some poor flower shop somewhere in the city that was completely sold out of potted plants and other floral arrangements. The way assortments of flowers were either across the counter and register, on all of the tables and hanging above their heads distracted Haku every single time he started his shift. And he truly believed that he would never get used to it. In fact, this morning he was certain Jiyoon hung up new flower arrangements above the tables against the windows.

“Haku-kun~” suddenly came the overly excited voice of Chihiro’s friend, Aina. Haku blinked away from the previously mentioned floral arrangements hanging near the window to look at her. His face immediately fell. Even after just a week on the job, he knew that look.

“I’m filming video content for JD’s social media accounts and I have an idea!” Aina was practically leaning over the counter. Haku was certain her feet were dangling and kicking off the floor. “But I need you to roll up your sleeves~”

Haku blinked, his expression now blank with confusion. “I’m sorry? My sleeves?” He straightened to get a better look at Aina. “Why?”

Aina giggled as she jumped off the counter and walked around it to him. He could already feel her appraising looks and the cogs turning in her head with whatever “idea” she had.

He really didn’t understand the big deal with this social media stuff.

“Okay so I was thinking…” And that was where she lost him. Haku let out a heavy sigh as Aina moved about the barista workstation, pointing at various sections and then occasionally pointing at him. Or, more specifically, his sleeves.

He was unable to keep up with the act for very long. As Aina continued to propose her video idea, Haku turned away to find Chihiro. It didn’t take much effort. No matter where she was, he would always be able to find her. Sure enough, not only did he find her at first glance, but he was given the pleasure of seeing that she too was looking over at him.

As soon as their eyes met, he offered her a soft smile and the smallest wave.

“Haku-kun? Hellooooo! Are you listening?”

“What?” He didn’t even bother turning his attention back to Aina. Not while Chihiro was giving him all of her attention.

It was the prolonged silence beside him that finally pulled his attention away from Chihiro. As he returned his gaze to Aina, he caught her in the middle of looking between him and her friend. He stiffened at the growing smirk spreading across her lips. Now he wished he had been paying attention earlier.

“Chihiro! Can you come here for a sec? I need your opinion on an idea I have!”

Haku struggled to suppress the groan he wanted to let out. He rubbed a hand once down his face to release some of the frustration he was feeling over this whole situation.

“What do you think of this?” Aina started. At this point, Haku was unable to look at the new addition to the one-sided conversation. He suddenly felt his muscles stiffen as the frustration continued to build up. “I was trying to tell Haku-kun that I wanted to film him preparing a drink. That’s it! His face isn’t even going to appear in the video!”

He let out another deep sigh as he loosely crossed his arms then lifted a hand up to his face to pinch the bridge of his nose. The last time he had felt this way was while he had to deal with the staff at the bathhouse.

5UxNwzN.png

Back
Top Bottom