Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

An angel on the streets (44thlizard and Xanaphia )

44thlizard

Meteorite
New Cappena, a cruel city, where anything is possible.

The moon gleamed down through wispy clouds at the towering spires of glass and metal that protruded from the metropolis below, washing over the blow of lights. From the industrial sectors belching black smoke into the air, to the sprawling slums, to the glitzy and glamorous heart where towering skyscrapers reached upwards towards the night, the city was alive. Far to the edge the city wall, a huge bulwark of iron and brass, stood against the desolation that surrounded it. Long ago, there had been fields and forests, protected and nurtured by spirits, but those days were long gone. Now the city stood alone, a light in the darkness, lorded over with a demonic fist. They had been interlopers once, drawn from the dark places between worlds but now they ruled.

Far down below, a gang of demons hustled a dozen or so men out from a shuttered restaurant, dragging them into the alleyway, cackling among themselves as they tossed the men against the wall, heedless of the pain they inflicted. Busboys, cooks, servers, all still there from the nights closing. The unfortunate men whimpered, terrified, putting up no resistance as they were lined up against the wall. They knew all too well that fighting back would only make things worse. Then the owner and his wife were dragged out, the man struggling against the pair of monstrous creatures that muscled him over to stand by his workers, bashing his head against the brick until he slid down, leaning against it, a trickle of blood oozing down his forehead. "We...we already...paid you" he muttered, his words thick and slurred.

His wife, a pretty woman dressed in a shiny dress that clung to her body sobbed, restrained by one of the henchmen, tugging against the grip on her arm. "Please!" she begged, turning to the leader of the demons, a tall, gaunt being, whose thin lips curled into a cruel smile. "We'll get you more money. We promise. You don't have to do this!" Dropping to her knees, she begged the demon, her hands clasped together as if in prayer. The demon regarded her coolly, shaking his head slightly as if bemused by the sight of her pleading. He reached into his belt, pulling out a tiny vial of red liquid, a thin silvery sheen to it. Halo. Angel's blood they called it, after the long forgotten legends of how the drug was first made.

Uncorking the vial, the demon drank it, his eyes immediately burning just a little bit brighter, smoke escaping from his mouth in languid curls. The henchmen stepped away from the line of doomed men, sniggering as they watched the execution unfold. Their leader crushed the vial in his hand, glass tinkling against the cold cobblestones. "There, there looker. You don't have to worry your pretty little head about that no more." His voice was raspy, grinding out from inside him like a man playing the bellows. "The big queen downtown's forgiving everything." Raising his hand, he pointed it over at the men, baleful energy cracking from his fingertips to erupt into rapidfire bolts of demonic power. Sweeping across the line, the beams struck through, leaving glowing craters on the brick behind the corpses as they all slumped over, blood trickling down onto the pavement. The woman screamed, a loud, long, anguished wail, drowning out the laughter of the demons watching the spectacle. Closing his fist, the sorcerer's eyes flared, an emblem of a six fingered hand etching itself into the wall above the scene of the massacre. A warning to all who might see.

Turning back to the sobbing woman, his henchmen closing in around her, the demonic sorcerer cocked an eyebrow, a devilish gleam in his cold, remorseless eyes. "As for you... Time to earn that forgiveness." He snapped his fingers, the dress rending itself apart, scattering across the alleyway. The henchmen closed in around her, her wailing sobs abruptly cut off, the alleyway filling with choked gurgles and the cruel laughter of demons taking their pleasure from her, all within sight of her husband's lifeless body.

Abruptly something pulsed, the demons pausing, each looking up from their debauchery. The lights overhead swayed and flickered, but more than that, the demons felt it. A wave, powerful and foreign, something different from all the other magics they knew and mastered. ti swept out across the city, from the dark port docks all the way to the glittering nightclubs, alerting them to the arrival of something strange, something new. Something the city had not seen in millennia.

New Cappena.

A cruel city.

Where anything can happen...

The impact took years away from her. So many she couldn't begin to remember them. Everything she'd know and done and been, and left her a crumpled figure of flesh on the cool stone ground.

"Miss? Are you okay, Miss?" The voice came from across the alleyway, a young woman in a thin, flowy gown. Quite pretty, but in a sad way she couldn't begin to explain. She groaned, but nodded

"Yeah, I think so."

Hair drenched in a sticky warmth, she reached up to touch it. Blood, glittering with a silvery sheen in the low lights of gas lamps. The woman helping her up stopped suddenly, staring at the blood in utter shock. "Is… is that your blood?"

Leaning against the rough brick of a nearby wall, she wiped her hand on her dress. Everything hurt, but, so far as she could tell, nothing was broken. "Must be. Unless you're bleeding too."

She turned her gaze on the woman again, who stood still, face twisted in shock and confusion. More than that, she was scared. Of her? For Her? "What are you?"

What was she? And why couldn't she remember? "I'm like you, aren't I?" But she wasn't. She'd fallen from the sky. Where had she fallen from? Where was she? "

"Carlotta! Get back here, girl. You got customers waiting." A deeper, yet still feminine voice echoed into the alleyway, and the woman –Carlotta, apparently– stiffened at the sound.

"Come on," she urged, helping her away from the wall. "Lady Pherika will take you in, for tonight. Patch you up." Clearly, from the way she said it, Carlotta meant at a cost. She didn't argue, didn't resist. What choice did she have, in this strange new city? "You gotta name?"

A few steps more, and she felt as if she could walk with only a slight limp. "Ashara."

Carlotta helped Ashara, wrapping a hand around her waist to lift her up, steadying the strange woman against herself as she took a few steps towards the door she had come from. There was a tension in her body, as if she simultaneously desired to be close but also as far as possible from Ashara, concern and confusion clearly written on her face. As the strange woman gained her strength, Carlotta reached up to touch the gash on her head, blood mingling with her red hair, a stained fingertip withdrawn to be stared at in wonder.

The door Carlotta brought Ashara to was simple, unlabeled but inside the rich smell of smoke and perfume permeated the hallway, a thick and cloying odor that clung to everything inside. "Watch the step." Carlotta said, helping Ashara inside, closing the door behind her. The sound of voices low, rumbling masculine ones that laughed, and soft, feminine ones that fawned back. Once inside, Carlotta quickly straightened herself up, hastily wiping the blood off her hands and attending to her gown.

"Carlotta! What have I told you about stepping out while you have customers?" From around the corner, a twisted shape slithered towards the two, the light of the gas lamp catching on the demonic form of Lady Pherika coming into view. The long taloned fingers clacked together, her green eyes flaming as she glanced from Carlotta to this strange new woman. The demonic woman paused, her eyes tracing along the form of Ashara, as if inspecting her carefully. Slowly the corners of her sharp mouth began to pull up into a crooked smile, revealing the pointed teeth behind thin lips.

"I'm sorry my lady." Carlotta said, giving a small, deferential bow to the brothel owner. "This is Ashara. She… she's hurt. Please, could you help her? Let her stay the night?" Lady Pherika drew herself up, her snake like lower body tensing as she looked over Ashara, a clawed finger lifting a lock of hair away from her face. She lingered a moment before snapping back to the present. "Yes, yes. She can stay. Of course she can. But you, we can't have you just wandering off willy-nilly. You need to get back on the floor"

Lady Pherika's multiple arms each wrapped around Carlotta and Ashara, the young whore flinching at the touch, as Pherika guided them deeper into the brothel. The hallway was decorated in heavy drapes, rather revealing art hanging on the walls, slithering past closed doors, as another woman dressed in a similar gown as Carlotta's led a heavyset red skinned demon into one of the rooms.

"Ashara. What a pretty name. I've never heard it before. Where are you from?" Lady Pherika asked, still looking Ashara up and down.

Lady Pherika's gaze pierced deep, as if she could see past her clothes, her skin, into her soul. Ashara gripped one arm with the other, avoiding the demon's persistent gaze. "Oh, you know, far away." Vague images flashed, too quick to make sense of, just impressions of a world that felt familiar. In some ways it was similar to Capenna, adorned with majestic metal structures, but there were beautiful natural spaces, life growing in sync with the artifice.

But the flashes disappeared before she could truly grasp them, leaving her only with a vague sense of loss. Wherever she was from, she wasn't going back anytime soon. "I, I thank you, of course. For taking me in." Still she couldn't quite meet the demon's leering eyes.

"Certainly my dear. It is, well, not much trouble." One thin, scaly hand brushed back the bloody clumps of Ashara's hair, while another pair drenched a clothed in water, and wrung it out. "Oh, but I am sure Carlotta won't mind pick up the slack for you. She's such a good girl."

Ashara swallowed hard, realizing what the demon was suggesting. Aid really didn't come for free in this town, did it? "I don't want to cause any trouble." With a wince, she closed her eyes as the demon applied the damp cloth to the blood drying on her skin.

"Well, if you want to work for your keep, I could use the help." Water rolled down her throat and shoulders in thin rivulets, leaving her dress damp in small sections. "And I am sure Carlotta would appreciate it." Lady Pherika rinsed off the rag in the water, tinging it pink, with an iridescent shimmer.

"And by work, you mean…" Ashara didn't spell it out, but motioned towards the other room. The curtained rooms, full of pretty, pliant young women.

"Oh, just a smile and laugh, darling." Lady Pherika assured her, scrubbing blood from her shoulders now. More water dripped down her back and chest, catching golden rays of candlelight on her fair skin. "There are so many men who just need a little attention from a lovely woman, such as yourself. Just a little warmth in this cold, unforgiving town."

Even if Ashara wanted to object to Lady Pherika's offer, what choice did she have? She had nothing, nowhere to go, no one to turn to. This was a matter of survival. She didn't even have memories to cling to, just a blank slate for others to project their desire upon. "Alright, what do I need to do?"

"Good girl," Lady Pherika hissed, clawed fingers tugging her dress away. She pressed against Ashara's bare back, her scales rough and cool against her skin. With a deep inhale, she let out a pleased sigh. "Yes, You will do quite well here. Now get dressed. We have customers waiting."

Without another word the demon was gone, tossing a thin, diaphanous gown at Ashara before leaving the room. It was similar to the one Carlotta wore, too thin to provide any real warmth or modesty. It clung to her curves, the swell of her breasts and width of her hips and draped just over her knees. She hardly had a chance to glance at herself in the mirror before Pherika returned, and ushered her out into the main room.

The room was crowded with furniture, chairs and couches and small side tables holding drinks. Men, mostly men, at least, and mostly demons, sat in the chairs with a woman at their side or in their lap. Women like her, in thin gauzy dresses, giggling and cooing and simpering. Several eyes turned towards her, examining her with the same leering intensity of Lady Pherika. No, hungrier perhaps. More predatory.

Lady Pherika led her towards a well-dressed man in a tight suit, wearing an elaborate golden mask. Ashara couldn't make out much of his features, save the razor sharp claws in his lap. "Lucifron, may I introduce my newest acquisition, Ashara?"

The golden masked man didn't even look at her. "I'm not here for pleasure, Pherika. You owe two months back rent, and the Six-Fingered Queen is tired of waiting."

"And I promise you, Lord Goldblaze, I will have the money by the end of the night. Perhaps you'd like to pass the time with a fresh face?"

This time, Lucifron looked at her, his intentions inscrutable behind his mask. From behind, Lady Pherika pushed her forward, hard enough she fell against the man. Despite his slim appeared, he was all muscle, and could have thrown her across the room easily, had he wanted. Instead he sniffed her, a long inhale just as Pherika had. And she swore she heard him chuckle beneath mask.

"Fine. But if I leave here without that money, it's going to be Limial who shows up next."

Lady Pherika bowed low, her arms outstretched in a curtsy, a thin smile on her lips. "I assure you, Lord Goldblaze, no such visit will be necessary." Slithering backwards, the matron of the brothel retreated to a respectful distance, not taking her eyes off her latest girl to wander into her establishment.

The well-dressed demon, Lucifron, tilted his head, the golden mask looking over Ahara's body, the dim holes of his eyes tracing over her, inspecting her. His expression betrayed nothing, though one could practically feel his grin behind the mask. Taking a step, he circled Ashara, examining her as one might a piece of art at auction. Eyes from all over the room watched them, the demons curious about this new morsel on offer, the girls anxious, frightened maybe. Again he rounded on her, the soft clack of his shoes against the floor echoing over the quiet murmur of voices.

Seemingly satisfied, he placed a clawed hand on her back, his touch at the same time clammy and hot, almost instinctually repulsive. Lucifron beckoned towards one corner of the room, towards a large ornate chair a little further away from the crowd. He pushed Ashara forwards, a subtle but steady pressure that forcer her to walk with him. a pair of demons followed in his wake, bodyguards it seemed, physically separating Lucifron and Ashara from the other patrons.

Sitting down in the plush hair, the demon tugged Ashara into his lap, his deceptively strong hands giving her no choice in the matter. The diaphanous silks pooled against his suit, white on black, the demon beneath the clothes as hard as iron. One foul hand snaked its way around her waist, resting against her, cradling her possessively. Lucifron seemed in no hurry whatsoever, his movements languid, unrushed as he took a cigar from off the table, conjuring a small ball of fire that floated in midair, lighting the foul smelling cigar. He took a puff of smoke, letting out a long exhale, smoke billowing out from the eyeholes of his mask. The hand around Ashara's waist toyed with the hem of her gown, talons tracing up and down the delicate skin of her thigh. He paused for a moment before speaking.

"Where did that whoremonger steal you from, girl?" he asked, his voice echoing slightly behind the mask, deep and smooth. "You're not like those others, street trash dressed in pretty rags. No, you are something different…" Leaning in he took another long sniff of Ashara, his hand creeping up her stomach, tracing over her smooth belly to cup the bottom of her breast, fingers pinching a nipple between sharp claws.

Similtaneously, everything moved too slowly, and too quickly for Ashara. Oh, the demon took his time caressing her, rough hands on smooth skin, but there was a demand in this grip. Every heartbeat pulsed hard against her, a throbbing promise the evening held. A stiff pressure that she had to answer for. A soft moan in the distance, barely audible over the pounding of her heart, foretold her future.

"Where did that whoremonger steal you from, girl?" he asked, his voice echoing slightly behind the mask, deep and smooth.

“Not stolen,” she tried to joke, her laughter a faint, breathy syllable, “Just… not from around here.” Sharp nails on her nipple drew a sharp gasp. Just a hint of pain, and an unspoken threat.

"You're not like those others, street trash dressed in pretty rags. No, you are something different…"

“I… I don’t know about that…” Ashara tried to laugh again, not sure if she was actually flirting with the demon, or just taking refuge in breathy giggles. “Just a regular girl…” But dread pooled heavy in the pit of her stomach, and burned hot on her fair skin. Fingers itched with electricity, just as the demon cupped her breast. “Can we just slow down, just a little?” she whimpered, grabbing at his wrist.

At that moment the electricity tingling in her fingers sparked out, lashing the demon with white light. Not strong attack, nor a conscious attack, but it would stop him in his tracks, and it would prove that Ashara was no mere human.

The sharp crackle of power was quick, lasting only for a moment yet it seemed to hang in the air. White bolts arced from her fingertips playing across the demon's wrist, crawling up the immaculate sleeve of his shirt and down the clawed fingers that caressed Ashara's breast. Lucifron drew in a sharp hiss of breath, air sucking in over sharp teeth, his hand yanking back in surprise. His hand pushed Ashara off his lap, his back hitting the cushion behind him as he shook his hand, a dull ache radiating through his hand. Thin trails of smoke rose from the intaglio marks the white bolts left behind on his suit sleeve, dull discolorations where the demonic fabric had smoldered. The two demons attending to him snarled, bristling, though they did not attack.

Lucifron was not hurt, his pride wounded perhaps, startled and taken aback by what he had just seen. No human should have that kind of power. Nobody should, that kind of magic hadn't been seen in ages. Since the angels. He nodded his head towards the guards who stepped in, looming over Ashara threateningly. "Just a regular girl eh?" Lord Goldblaze hissed, his voice hardening, the mask's eyes seeming to narrow and smolder. I think the queen would like to see you for herself.

The disturbance had drawn the attention of the others in the room, and Lady Pherika came slithering back, her eyes wide, always on high alert for the slightest sign of trouble in her brothel, trying to smooth over the incident. "My apologies, Lord Goldblaze. The new girl is still adjusting to her role. Perhaps one of the other girls would be better suited…"

"No." Lucifron cut her off with a harsh command, his voice carrying a power to it as it boomed. All eyes in the room turned towards him, holding up a clawed hand as he rubbed his fingers together, examining them. The tingling of Ashara's attack lingered, a strange sort of weakness that he had never know. He stared for a moment before closing his fist. "Take her." He commanded to the guards, heavy hands landing on Ashara's shoulders, the clank of chains rattling as the demons pulled out a pair of iron manacles, snapping the rough cuffs onto Ashara's wrists as they twisted her arms behind her back.

Lady Pherika began to protest but Lucifron silenced her. "Count yourself lucky I do not burn your hovel to the ground for such an outrage." He spat, pushing the serpentine demon aside. The whores stared wide eyed at Ashara, unsure what to do. Carlotta wrenched herself out of the grasp of her demonic customer, rushing over to where Ashara was. "Wait" she cried, pushing through the crowd, trying to reach Lord Goldblaze.

The demon snarled, raising a hand that glowed with dark power, ready to backhand her as she stood in his way, an insignificant figure worth less than the mud on his boots.

How had she done that? Ashara wished she knew, wished she could do it again, blast away the demon's bodyguard and anyone else who deigned to touch her.

Still somehow she pushed past the demons holding her, faster than anyone would have believed, until she was between Carlotta and Lord Goldblaze. "Wait!" she called, not sure what leverage she held in this position, but determined to do something. "I'm coming along, okay? I'm not fighting you. Don't hurt her."

Lord Goldblaze glared down at her, as if trying to decide if he wanted to back hand both of them at once.

"Don't hurt her," she said again, her voice louder this time, stronger. Echoing within the thin walls of the brothel, drawing every eye to her. Even Lucifron paused for a moment, dark power in his hand dissipating. Still, he growled and grabbed her by the shoulder to twist her around. His free hand pushed Carlotta away, hard enough to send her to the ground, but not actually hurting her. Before she could breathe a sigh of relief, he was pushing her forward, into the streets streaked with pale green gas light.

"Walk," he demanded, reasserting his control. Ashara didn't fight him, intending to uphold her end of the deal they didn't exactly make. All she knew is that she didn't want to cause any more trouble tonight. Not for anyone that helped her out.

Escorted into a strange metal carriage, again she was seated beside Lord Goldblaze, while his two guards took the front seats. An unseen force brought the machine to life, pulling onto the street and away from the whorehouse. Ashara choose to watching the surroundings, watch as the city before transformed from the gritty underbelly into pristine towers of steel and glass trimmed with manicured shrubbery. Beautiful with a cold indifference to the suffering just on the other side of town.

The vehicle stopped before one imposing building, boasting twin golden spires that twisted around a black high rise. It seemed to ascend into the clouds, as high as it went. "Come on," Lucifron demanded, pushing out the door opened by his guard, "Our queen awaits."

Back
Top Bottom