Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

How to Date a Dragon [Frogger & Chippairaptor]

“It is quite alright,” Neve reassured him, not altogether surprised to see him flush bright red. “Not many know this, which is why I, ah… wanted to let you know.” Heat was licking at the tips of her ears, and it was difficult to look him in the eye. This is… most certainly a subject she did not anticipate touching upon on their first… date? Is it too presumptuous of her to consider this a date? Neve contemplated it for a moment or two, but her attention shifted back to her strawberry tart. I still have a few bites left.

“Did you know, too, that there are some species of snake that can fly?” Neve dug into the tart with her fork, taking a delicate bite. “From my understanding, these species flatten their ribs into a concave C shape to trap air under their bodies as they fall. By undulating back and forth in a S-shape, they can actually glide through the air.” Neve used her fingertips to brush a little cream cheese off her lips.

"I first saw those on Critter Planet when I was a kid," Andrew said. He gave an internal sigh of relief that Neve had taken to the change in subject without batting an eye. "They evolved that ability because they live in jungle environments, so gliding from one spot to another uses less energy and time than slithering down one tree and up another." He took another sip of his mocha. Thank God for the change in subject.

"My work at the pet store makes me happy most of the time," he said. "Taking care of the animals is something I enjoy. Watching them grow up is something that never gets old for me. Though it is always sad when their time comes. That being said, I'm not too fond of the bugs, especially the spiders. And the rats. I can't handle rats after... the incident." For a brief second his eyes seemed to be elsewhere, experiencing a memory from long ago that was etched into his brain. Andrew shook his head, cleared his throat. "I'm just glad we don't carry venomous species of snake. I get nervous around them."

Neve flashed him a wry smile. “Fascinating, is it not?” A roll of her shoulders had her wings stretching wide again, light rippling over membrane and sinew. “I find evolution to be quite fascinating. It works in mysterious ways, if I do say so.” Neve had just finished her tart when he moved on to a related topic, his career at the pet store. It was delicious… and yet, she was disappointed there was not more.

“Hm, I can understand why you would not be too fond of the bugs… or the rats. I find those quite unpleasant myself,” Neve agreed, “though the rats often run away at the sight of me. I wish I had a favorite animal… or, rather, a favorite pet to speak of.” It is disheartening. Neve does like cats and dogs, but they often cower or scamper off before she could try to pet them. “Well. Venomous species of snake are not very good pets, so you are in luck there,” Neve pointed out, trying to make a joke. It felt as though it fell a little flat, however.

"And yet, there still things we can't explain," Andrew said. "Strange phenomena, creatures science refuses to recognize. Though I suppose nowadays, it wouldn't be too surprising if Bigfoot or the Loch Ness Monster called a press conference for one reason or another." He chuckled. The young man had been fascinated with the field of cryptozoology since he was young. Mysterious beasties lurking just outside humanity's reach was something that stirred the imagination in young Andrew. The young man abruptly jumped as his phone began to ring.

"I am a dwarf and I'm digging a hole! Diggy diggy hole! Diggy diggy hole!"

Andrew smiled apologetically. "Sorry, I thought I had my phone on silent." He took the device out of his pocket and tapped the screen, sending the caller to voicemail, before turning the ringer off. "Can you tell me about your job? Or are you in one of those fields where you would have to kill me if you told me?"

"How amusing that would be." Neve chuckled into her coffee, the laughter just as rare as her smile. "Those urban legends may be accepted into society, but I doubt some others would be." Many cultures do believe in horrific creatures, like chupacabras or… jorogumo and the like. It could bring about widespread panic. Neve frowned, eyes darkening in contemplation of the future. It is bad enough she is often met with disgust and fear… but no one recoils and screams and orders her to leave. Yet. Yes, a treaty brought her family out from the shadows… however, there is still much to overcome if they are to be integrated into humanity.

Neve just about jumped out of her skin at the… ridiculous ring tone, nearly choking on nothing but oxygen.

"N-No, you are fine. Do not apologize," Neve told him, taking a napkin to wipe at her face on the off-chance she made a mess of herself. "Sure. I can. I mostly work on electronics, fixing a broken computer or device every now and then… but I also help develop new programs. Nothing too terribly exciting." A nonchalant shrug rolled through her shoulders.

"Ah, I see," Andrew said. He was good with using computers and other electronics, but when it came to their innards and their coding, he was completely lost. If this goes well, maybe I can turn to her if my PlayBox red-hexes again, he thought. "That's interesting. I know how to use computers, but that's about it. Anything I need help with I look up or find someone who can help me."

He finished his muffin. Every ounce of chocolate, as well as the caffeine from his drink, was putting Andrew at ease. "We live in an interesting world nowadays," he mused. "Just a few years ago, people like dragons, goblin, and elves were relegated to fantasy. And yet I'm talking to a dragon who works on computers for a living, I saw a dwarven construction crew on my way here, and the owner of my apartment complex is a lizardman. It amazes me how fast things can change."

Neve bowed her head in agreement. "Such is life," she replied, although she felt an explanation may be in order. "It is how we survive. If we do not adapt, we may not be able to live to see the next day." It is but a fact. In the past, dragons used to burn anything and everything they felt to be a threat… but of course, it proved futile, in a way. Neve let her chin rest in the palm of a hand, bright, icy blue eyes focused intently on him.

Is he enjoying this date? Or is it too pretentious of her to presume it is that? Neve considered it for a moment, not entirely sure what to think. Dragons can live for hundreds of years, perhaps a thousand, depending on circumstances. Humans only last… what, seventy, eighty years? Give or take? Neve had her wings fold against her back, no longer allowing anyone a view. "Do you want another snack?" she offered, "or would you rather go for a walk?"

"A walk sounds nice," Andrew said. He didn't want to seem like a glutton on the first date. No matter how good the muffins were, he wanted to maintain appearances. He stood up, stretching a bit, as if he'd been sitting for much longer. It was a nice enough day to enjoy a walk in the park. It would be a tad easier for Andrew that way. Sitting down and talking face-to-face tended to put him on edge a little bit. "Well, where do you want to go?"

“I did not have any destination in mind… I just thought it might be nice to enjoy the nice weather, while it lasts.” Neve unfolded her legs and, in one graceful motion, rose up out of her seat. “I also have a tendency to get antsy if I stay in one spot for too long.” Both hands brushed over pristine white, more out of an old habit than to get rid of crumbs. Neve stole a glance over his way. “Do you want a drink to take with us? Or are you good?”

Andrew nodded, understanding Neve's sentiment. He was the type who couldn't keep still for long if his attention weren't properly engaged, though he often found a way around it by fiddling with something or finding a movement to do. "I'm good. Just going to wait for the caffeine to kick in." Bring wired the way he was, the young man found that caffeine tended to have a calming effect in small doses. He noticed Diana smirking to herself, but didn't say anything about it. He approached the counter and slipped her a five as a little token of appreciation, and the petite woman smiled.

"Come back now, y'hear?" she said.

"Oh, you know I will," Andrew said. "Those muffins are too good to stay away from."

He smiled and held the door open for Neve. He was ready to go.

A soft chuckle left her lips unbidden. “Ah, I see. Let us see how long that takes,” Neve teased, walking through the open door into warm, buttery sunshine. It felt good on her scales and skin. Ice dragons run naturally frigid… so warm days are much appreciated. It warms the ice in her veins… and although it does impact her powers, how often does she need to use them? Neve brushed a few threads of silvery-white back and out of her eyes, blue lifting up to watch children playing together across the way at the park. A small smile appeared before his eyes, priceless and rare.

“Do you mind if I ask you a rather… personal question?”

Neve glanced over at him, hoping that her candor does not come across as offensive.

“You spoke of how you were in college before… but how you dropped out in favor of working at a store. Is that what you plan on doing for now? Or do you have other plans for the future?” Neve was not very fazed when a passerby froze, eyes wide, and, sputtering, ran off in the other direction. It happens often enough it does not bother her, not anymore.

"Do you mind if I ask you a rather… personal question?"

Part of Andrew locked up. He didn't like when people got personal too quickly. It always set him on edge. When it came to dates, he'd encountered more than one woman who solely sought out men for money. It had made him slightly leery. But the question went in another direction, giving him a slight mix of relief and nervousness.

"To be honest… I don't know what I want," he answered earnestly. "I'm happy with my job. I get to take care of animals every single day. I make enough to take care of myself and enjoy little things like adding a new book, movie, or game to my collection. My coworkers don't pry beyond making small talk, and my boss is tough, but fair. But I suppose there are a lot of ways my life could go in the future. I could go back to college. Or look into new careers. But for the time being I'm content."

“I understand that.” Neve’s words held not a drop of judgment.

“As long as you are happy, that is what matters… does it not?” Neve left it at that, but his answer did leave a strange feeling inside her chest. Is she happy with her own fate? Technology is something she just so happened to delve into out of curiosity, and… well, she was rather skilled with numbers. Neve never did try her hand at anything else.

Having released a breath, ice danced in the air just seconds before melting. Neve did not know what to say to engage in conversation again, or what else to share, so she decided it may be best to keep her silence. Hopefully, he will not take it as her being rude.

"Maybe," Andrew said. "Nowadays people focus on wealth so much. I don't blame them, really. The economy hasn't been doing well, so people want to be secure. But I've encountered so many people online who only care about how much money you make, instead of who you are as a person." As they walked, his eyes were drawn to movement throughout the park. Joggers jogging, people playing Geomon on their phones, children running around the playground.

A sudden scent on the breeze triggered a memory: cherry blossoms. For a split second, Andrew was in the park with someone else. A short, petite woman with brown hair. She smiled at him, and it made Andrew's heart ache. He shook his head, as if the action would dislodge the memory from his brain.

"So have you met any weirdoes while trying out apps like this?" Andrew wanted to change the subject. "I've heard more than one story from other users."

Back
Top Bottom