Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Closed The Showdown At Sundown - [Weird West] [Interest Check]

Closed - no longer seeking

Moonside

Moon
DeadlandsLogo.png

"They say that absolute power corrupts absolutely. In the Weird West, things can get even worse. Corruption can lead to damnation as agents of the Four Horsemen seek out those willing to do just about anything for supernatural power. The west is a harsh place and once folks get a sample of what power tastes like, they sink to very murky depths to get another mouthful.

The town of Sundown is a lot like many others on the frontier. It's a boom town struggling with growing into an actual port of civilization. Moneyed interests have come into power and want to maintain their hold on Sundown. The richest man in town is spoken of in whispers because the townsfolk are terrified an unkind word might force them out of town or, worse, prompt their disappearance. Places like this exist all over the west; places full of good people living under the rule of the powerful and corrupt. But take a closer look at Sundown and you'll see something deeper and... darker.

Silas Wanamaker, huckster and gambler of minimal skill, gained power through the occult. He's on the cusp of opening a portal to Hell in the town of Sundown, an act that will spawn all manner of terrible creatures. The only thing stopping him? You."
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What This Is: Showdown at Sundown is an a short adventure module for the tabletop role playing game Deadlands. I've run this module three times with people as a tabletop module, so I thought I would give it a try here. We'll forgo the dice and you don't need to know how to play Deadlands to join this. This is a narrative driven adventure where you and the rest of the posse wind up in the town of Sundown and, well, one thing leads to another and you might all just end up being big damn heroes (tm) at the end of the day! Expect to explore the town of Sundown, interacting with the NPC's and each other as you carouse, gamble, brawl, drink, and maybe even get a little frisky. Expect gunfights, the supernatural, and maybe even a little bit of magic. So what DO you need to join this, amigo? Just a desire for adventure and an idea for a western character of your own!

Setting: The Weird West is much like our own old west - but spiced up with the supernatural, magic, and steam punk. The Civil War ended earlier than in our normal timeline thanks to the discovery of a new mineral dubbed 'ghost rock' because of how it emits an eerie wail when burned. It burns hotter and longer than anything else discovered, allowing for rapid advancement in technology. Steampunk automobiles, gyrocopters, automata, and the like are rare and expensive but not unheard of. The West is also inhabited by monsters, cryptids, undead and all sorts of big nasties praying on folks. Sundown is a small mining town out in Wyoming, a little place just starting to boom thanks to the new ghost rock mine. It's a place with one street and more bars and brothels than general stores. Your character can be any old west archetype you can think of; a wandering bounty hunter, a fugitive, law enforcement, a scientist, gambler, martial artist and even more!

Looking For:
1. People able to post at least twice a week, to keep the game flowing!
2. A posse size of about four - that's four of you and one of me, your friendly GM!
3. People that want a pulpy, action-adventure story with a dash of the supernatural!
4. People that can work as a team, so everyone gets a chance to shine!

Cowgal.png

CHARACTER TEMPLATE

Name:
The cowpoke's name or nickname, whichever they're known by.
Age: How old is this trail buster? Legal age only, please!
Sexuality: What do they like in a partner?

Appearance: What does your character look like? Humans only! At least a paragraph, but you're welcome to be as verbose as you like. Attach art if you want, too!

Skills/Abilities: What can they do well? Shooting, gambling, riding, martial arts?

Background: How'd they grow up? What made them into who they are today?

Personality: What's this character like? Tell us about them!

Why Are They Going To Sundown?: A little boom town in Wyoming. Why are they headed that way? This gives you a reason to be headed in the same direction as the rest of the posse.

Last edited:
I’ve heard about the game, but never tried it before. So I’d love it if I can join in.

Demon cowboy ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ but wondering if it will just be single characters for everyone cause was thinking of playing at least two.

Humans only for this one. There are other... things out there but for right now, you're still among the living. And one character per player, at least for this scenario. I'll do something more long-term, larger in scope and more open where you can play multiple characters if this goes off well though!

Then I think just also need to ask if it’s fine for custom pistols, like maybe they painted pistols or added like metal pieces around the barrel (maybe spikes)

Gnife.jpg

A big pokey bit like this? Sure, you can do that. And whatever color you'd like is fine too, though you might get a few strange looks for having such a wild-looking weapon!

Gonna look into Deadlands more to help make a character. Thinking about a Native American, roguish traveler, or a martial artist.

This looks pretty interesting and it's been a while since I've done any group roleplay, so I'll throw my hat in too. Most likely gonna make a doctor, sailor, or scholar of some variety.

Alright, here's a first draft for the character. Please let me know if I need to change anything. Decided to go with a sailor.

Name: Ishmael
Sexuality: Pansexual, likes partners who are capable and resourceful.
Occupation: (Former) Deckhand of a Whaling Vessel, (Current) Freelancer

Appearance: Ishmael is a tall man (6') in his mid to late twenties, of sturdy build with broad shoulders and impressive muscles, as one would expect from a sailor. He has short orange hair, the same shade of sunset, and bright blue eyes that would be quite beautiful were they not so tired and haunted. Well trimmed facial hair graces his jawline and chin, outlining his lightly freckled face. His complexion is a bit fairer than one might expect of a sailor. He still often dresses like a sailor, with wool shirts and trousers, the legs of which being tucked into his leather boots that are tied tight to prevent water from getting to his feet as best they can.

Skills/Abilities: Ishmael is a reasonably skilled sailor, knowing how to swim, tie all manner of knots and work with rope, navigate by the stars, and throw/shoot harpoons with staggering force and accuracy. And while he's no martial artist or pugilist, he can throw a very nasty punch when needed. He also knows how to read and write, as well as do math, and knows a bit of philosophy.

Equipment: A Harpoon, 10 fathoms (60 feet) of sturdy hemp rope, a Colt 1851 Navy Revolver, a Bomb Lance Gun, and a Rigging Knife. All of which was inside the crate that he had clung to for dear life.

Background: Ishmael was born in and grew up in Massachusetts to a middle class family that was able to afford putting him through schooling. While he was, and still is, thankful for this, he always found that the sea had always called his name. So when he graduated he signed on to join a company of whalers to set off on some maritime adventures. He learned much from them and sailed with them for a good few years. And then, one day, they encountered... something. Ishmael still isn't certain of what it was, even if he did get an eyeful of it. All he truly knows is that it isn't normal. It attacked the boat, and capsized it. Everyone died, save for him. He clutched onto a crate for dear life for two entire days before being rescued. After he was rescued, he took what was in the crate and left, heading west. Heading inland, as far away from the thing that killed his friends and fellow crewmates. Despite that though, he still hears it at times. The sea. Calling his name.

Personality: Ishmael is an inquisitive and observant man, who places the weight of one's words and actions above superficial factors. He's somewhat of a loner though he's more than willing to work with others if they happen to have the same or similar goals. He can come across as a bit stuck up due to being slightly more educated than your common man of the west, and his inquisitive nature can lead to some gullibility. Despite his harrowing experience, he's not at all quick to fear. After all, he knows he's been faced with something more terrifying than what the land can conjure.

Why Are They Going To Sundown?: To get away from the sea.

Last edited:
@MagicBanana Looks great! I don't see any need for changes. Definitely wasn't expecting a 'bomb lance' in the mix! I'll say he's got one shot with it and that's all - so make it count and use it when it'll be awesome! You'll be able to carry the revolver, knife and either the harpoon or bomb lance with you, so whichever you don't bring on that day's journey will have to stay behind wherever you decide to hunker down. We'll say he (as well as other player characters) also have traveling supplies. A bedroll, matches, canteen, etc. Basic gear that you don't need to note down.

Awesome! Makes sense to have only the one shot for the bomb lance, any more and it'd lose the charm after all lol. Can't wait to see what everyone else makes!

I’ll be sure to get my sheet done soon. Was busy the last few days.

Back
Top Bottom