Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

π‡πžπ«π¨ & π‡πžπ«π¨π’π§πž || ᴅᴇᴠ//Κ™α΄€α΄‹α΄€

Devils Temptation

Planetoid
Frieren & Himmel Hero & Heroine
❀ ❀ ❀

"The passing of time heartlessly makes one forget people--
--and the trails of you having lived at all will--
--inevitably rust and be discarded entirely."

"But I don't mind that, you know? If everything is forgotten,--
--the only thing that really matters to me is knowing that--
--the people I loved still hold me fondly in their hearts."

ɴᴏᴑ α΄˜ΚŸα΄€ΚΙͺΙ΄Ι’: α΄€Ι΄Κα΄‘Κœα΄‡Κ€α΄‡, ᴀɴʏᴛΙͺᴍᴇ
0:00ㅇ──────── 3:59
↻ ◁ II β–· β†Ί

❀ ❀ ❀

Six Months After the Fall of the Demon King
Hero.

Simple yet oh so enigmatic at the same time. A title so thoroughly romanticized by anything alive - an entity put on a pedestal and risen above the average person well beyond something most were expected to do. Everyone admired a hero, not many were willing or even capable of putting in the effort to become one. It was that exact prestige and reputation that had accompanied one of the most illustrious of the human heroes of that generations on his retirement in the royal capital. When he had set out from that exact city, his attempt was nothing short of laughable. Ten coppers to his name and the assurance that he would die, worthless and having accomplished absolutely nothing to his name... a mere ten years later and all those assumptions had been turned on their head. It was simple, really. A hero rose beyond what a normal person was capable of-- but maybe that illustrated the duality of it all so perfectly. It was simple but... no one had said it was easy. A grueling, painful task so laborious could be beaten and broken in such a brutal, guttural way and yet still be told a very harsh lesson by the world.

Life was not fair.

Craving something did not mean that it would be granted, no matter how badly one wished for an outcome some things were simply not meant to be.

No. He had known that all his life. For him, Hero Himmel, he had known from the start. Not everything was some picturesque storybook, not everything came to its desired conclusion. Did that mean the only option was to lay down and surrender? Hardly. He struggled. He struggled when that sword had not chosen him. He struggled when no one believed in him. He struggled when humanity had its back to the wall and he still, through it all, trudged forward. He was not chosen. To him, it didn't matter. It never had.

The people they helped.

The towns they liberated.

The memories he made with his party.

That was the only reward he truly needed. If there was just one more thing he wanted... just one more thing... it was--

"Ah! Now that's an odd sight... all dressed up, Mr. Himmel? Off to have another statue made?" The homely chime of an elderly woman would call out after the sight of that blue-haired man. A brief wave of his cape as he stepped out of his home, dressed not in the more simplistic tunics and trouser that he oftentimes wore into the town he settled down into for those six months but rather... the all too eye-catching visage of his heroic attire. Laced down blue fabric tucked and hidden away by a white cape slung over his shoulders. Settled along his thigh was a sword arguably as legendary as he had been. The Holy Blade. Leather bracers and gauntlets had been tied tight along his ankles and wrists, not for some sort of excursion into town. Himmel had hardly been the type, despite his seemingly vain personality, to posture in those types of clothes. Largely, he had become integrated into the Holy Capital over the span of those six months. Good-natured, soft spoken, but most of all? Someone who hardly flaunted his position or his reputation. So much so that even the elderly neighbors felt content simply striking up a conversation with the man on sight.

Himmel spent a few moments to lock his door, keeping a certain item wrapped in cloth beneath his arm right before turning back to the hunched woman with that usual delicately warm grin.
"Oh! Now that's a good idea, isn't it? I hear that an awfully talented sculptor just moved into the town of Consteig. Maybe I should visit. He might be able to catch my likeness better than the others." Cupping his chin with his index finger and thumb, a snide little grin plastered across his features right before the rolling laughter of the older woman chimed up in response to the all too expectably vain reaction of the Hero. That moment or two of banter would have a damper placed on it by a few more parting words from that elderly neighbor of his.

"...Himmel. Take care if you're going out and stay safe, please." An uncharacteristically serious expression from the woman, the creases along her eyes and wrinkled skin shifting into a somewhat uneasy stare in his direction. It was a look he had seen countless times before. Among dozens of villages and cities, among hundreds of those he had saved... and his reaction to each and everyone was the exact same, no matter what. Dropping his hand to his side, he took a few more steps towards the woman before cupping his gloved palm along her hand with one brief squeeze.

"So long as I am around, there isn't any need to be worried. I will make sure you, the rest of this town, and all of this country will live in peace. Understand? So don't see me off with that expression. Smile! When I'm back, I'll tell you how my next statue looks." Another broad grin right before he waved the woman off and finally begun his way through the streets of the Royal Capital. Everywhere he turned and went, there were eyes drawn to him. Crowds of men or women, sometimes children rushing up to him all starry-eyed. Six months he had been here, but in those six months he had largely put down the mantel of the role of a Hero. To them, he had largely become Himmel, simply a man that was content to live his life out in his retirement. Now, seeing him all dressed up had triggered that sense of excitement... like seeing a bard wander into town speaking of tales from a land so far away and foreign that they would never be able to experience those moments outside of the notes of a song.

While he walked, he recounted them. The journeys he went on, the places he had seen, the enemies he had fought.

All of those words he spoke were accompanied with that delighted smile. Pure, genuine joy when recalling those moments... but the most prominent question of all was -- where was he off to now?

To meet an old friend. That was his response. Nothing elaborated beyond that, almost as if purposefully keeping those that asked him in the dark. Honestly, he hadn't really known whether or not it was just a courtesy call that he was going to or something deeper, but at the end of the day - he didn't want to worry them. Knowing it was her that had been coming, it may have very well just been a need for something she had forgotten all those months ago in the city.

XR4qUgs.png
"Frieren. I'd like to say you've grown taller or look different but..." She would have been able to see him long before he had approached from the opened gates of the city, raising his hand up in a waving gesture right before he had come to a halt directly in front of her. They were odd words to hear from a man who, in every way, resembled exactly how he had those six months prior when they had separated. Not one single hair out of place nor the slightest hint that he had, at all, let himself go. Prettier, smooth porcelain skin to rival her own and a similarly decent but not otherwise remarkable musculature or build.

Deceptively strong, as per usual...

"...to be honest, I don't particularly mind. I prefer the Frieren that's just like this." The warmth of his palm would settle down over the top of her head in a brief caress. Not quite like how Heiter would ruffle her hair, his touch was far more delicate. Slow sweeps of his fingertips that ducked any loose strands of ivory behind her ear or swept them off to the side so he could get a nice, long look at her. An adorable button nose leading down to a prettier set of lips, ones that very seldom ever cracked a smile. She still tied her hair the same, she still dressed in the same style, she still sat at that adorable height that came just in line with his chest.

Pulling his hand from the top of her head, he would unfurl the fabric wrapped around whatever he was carrying underneath his other arm. A book. Maybe she might have even sensed it before he had even unveiled it. It was a grimoire. Nothing overtly powerful, it looked fairly recently created as well.

"Here. It's a gift for you, Frieren. You hardly let me get you any aside from that ring -" Presenting it to her, his gaze strayed down towards her ring finger. Sure enough, there it was pushed to the base of her ring finger. An all too relieved exhale left his mouth at the sight of it and he would proceed to tug his thumb lightly past the aged leather cover of the grimoire to open it for her. "- but I don't particularly have any talent for magic compared to you. More than that? I saw it and was reminded of you, so please accept it. Otherwise I suppose I can use it as a pretty conversation piece? It does look rather fancy... for a spell that teaches you how to style your hair." Worthless, in every sense of the word. The magic and research required to actually utilize the spell put it out of the batting range of a hair stylist such that the only one bizarre enough to actually want it would be the girl in front of him.

But he loved that about her most of all.

When she was doing magic, she was at her most beautiful.

"Anyways... we need to work on your letter writing skills from now on. You didn't detail much about why you returned here. Is something wrong? Or... maybe you just missed me?" A quirk of his brow followed by the faint tilt of his smirk. Surely not... but he could be hopeful. Taking a few more steps forward, he leaned back against the cobblestone barrier next to the city moat and with it, his shoulder would also press up against her own in a faint, affectionate little lean.

"Will you tell me? These six months you've been gone. I'd love to hear about them, Frieren. It might have just seemed like a moment to you... but that's a decent bit of time for humans." I missed you. Those were the words he wanted to say but they never quite made it past his lips. Instead, he remained with his back leaned against the barrier, eyes set straight forward while he just chose to enjoy that moment with her. Reunions were meant to be joyful, after all.

Walking on the paved road in the plains around the Royal Capital Frieren looked at the gray city walls and towering castle of the King that were in a stark contrast of the deep-blue sky and the greenery behind it. Only hald-a-year ago she and her party-members returned to this town as the saviors of the world. After an arduous and difficult ten-year-long adventure they had managed to take down the biggest threat to the whole world, demon king, and established themselves as the heroes of the whole world. The whole town celebrated them and the festivities continued from day to the night, when the four exhausted heroes saw the meteor-shower that one could see once in every fifty years. At that moment Frieren promised to take them to the perfect spot to view this... when the new shower would be visible in fifty years that is, and she thought that it would be then when the four would meet again.

However it seemed that the fate wanted to reunite her with at least one of the members much sooner.

Thinking about the time they waved goodbyes to each other in front of the small stone bridge she found herself already close to the town. Wearing her striped black and white shirt, along with a white jacket with gold embellishments tucked into a matching skirt with a black belt. And over her jacket she wore a short white and gold cape with a high collar just like the last time they had seen each other. Just like her overalls her shoes were still the same brown boots, and she was still wearing the same gold and red-earings. Only notable difference from before was the ring that Himmel had given to her during their travel, that she had been wearing ever since he gifted it to the elf.

Frieren.600.4042393.jpg
Approaching the city walls with a slow and comfortable pace Frieren sees one of her companions waiting for her. She usually wasn't the type to wave to others, so she continued approaching the blue-haired man with her steady pace carrying her staff and a luggage with her belongings and necessities to survive from one town to the next one. She only carried some change of clothes, some food and most importantly different kind of grimoires with her, which in her eyes were the most important of all her belongings to her, and which were ultimately the reason why the white-haired elf was coming back to the capital so soon.

Once she is face to face with the hero she shared a ten-year-long journey to save the kingdom she looks up to him with her usual, calm dead-pan expression. "You really haven't changed all that much either Himmel." she gives her honest blunt comment to him as he starts to pat her and play with her hair a little. She turns her face up to look at him more carefully. Usually when she saw people again they had noticeably aged, or just weren't alive anymore. The ones she met at the villages when they were little kids playing around were the elders of the said village as she returned, often having their own kids and even grandchildren, but Himmel was just like he was when she last time saw him. Smiling kindly to her with his short blue hair gently swaying in the wind, his gentle touch that she for some reason didn't mind as much as the touch of the corrupt priests, his body that had become more tough during their adventure, and the aura of a true hero that seemed to grow stronger and stronger as they neared the end of their journey. He seemed so much more mature than when they first left to their travels, and the elf recognized that in front of her now sttod a full-fledged hero of the whole world, idol to be written in history books. "Maybe all those stupid statues weren't for nothing after all... " she finds herself thinking as the man gently pats her and smiles at her.

"Would you stop that? It's pretty embarrassing if you do stuff like that in public." she says without her facial expression changing, and sure enough the hero lift his head to hand her an extremely welcomed surprise gift. The magic book that contained a spell that she had yet to learn. She puts down her staff and luggage and takes the book from Himmel. After quickly looking over it's content she opens the luggage and puts it inside. "Thank you. It will definitely come in handy." Despite not showing it on her face she was rather excited to actually learn the spell and couldn't wait to sit down and read the spell-book. The previous present he gave her was still a little mystery to her. She didn't know why Himmel gave it to her, why he insisted that it was put on the specific finger and why he was visibly relieved when noticing it on her finger, but since it met so much to him she decided to show respect and keep it in her finger. During her travels it also made her feel a bit more comfortable when a sudden, unknown empty feeling started to eat her out when she was camping in the woods, or spending night alone at an inn.

Once the Himmel asks about her business to the city she titls her head in confusion. "We just met. Why would I miss you?" the blunt reply probably struck Himmel harder than Frieren could ever know. "Also you are here waiting for me, so I think the letter worked just fine as is." she explains herself before tilting her head back and giving the blue-eyed man the reason for her sudden visit.

"I learned that some people have been claiming to see the remnants of the demon lord's army in the Central Lands... In worst case one of the Seven Sages of Destruction might be behind this. I walked past a village that was burned to cinders... I didn't sense any survivors in or near the village..." Frieren says as her tone of voice grows a bit more agitated and heavy. "I want you to accompany me, since I am not sure what we are up against. I would've asked for Heiter and Eisen as well, but they have just returned to their homes, and I think we are strong enough together to get through this ourselves." she explains before picking her belongings up and starting to walk past Himmel.

"We should probably sit down somewhere if you want to hear about my travels. And if you want to hear about my travels. I found some nice magic books about turning a hard-candy into a soft one, and one that gets rid of the lint in your clothes." she speaks as she start to walk further to the city with a slow pace. "I think we should also plan about our little adventure together some more." she adds basically having already decided that he will come along with her to the adventure.

The town itself was in a contrast of how she remembered it to be when they returned. Instead of people cheering for them with food an drinks prepared ready to celebrate everyone was busy with their everyday life. Of course most people turned to look at their direction, since the flashy hero of the party was walking with her, but based on the whispers and talks her long ears picked uo some people recognized the unassuming elf as well, and were wondering if it was the Mage Frieren of the hero party, but the stoic elf did not pay any mind to these chatters and just walked down the road casually.

Would you stop that? It's pretty embarrassing if you do stuff like that in public...

"Is it really? You don't seem all that upset when I do it, though... you're always a little irritated when Heiter does it, aren't you?" As if he could tell... with that constantly icy, unchanging expression of her - it was oftentimes the case that people could not understand or tell how she was feeling in the moment. But... with him, that wasn't the case. It never was. Those small, tiny little quirks in her body language. The glaze of her eyes or the heartbeat or two of her shifted posture all told their own little stories. He knew those small parts of her like they were his personal treasures. Once she thanked him, Himmel beamed a genuine grin in her direction. "Will you? That'd make me very happy, then. It was all worth it, eventually get it to you." And maybe, that was all that was necessary. There didn't need to be a reason for him to give it to her. Just like she had no reason to collect spells. A trail of his gaze slipped over her finger once again. Right. Not everything had a reason... maybe that gift on its own lacked a reason as well. Maybe.

We just met. Why would I miss you?

Laughter spilled from Himmel with amused little chuckles rolling right against her ear like warm dulcet notes. "You always say that, don't you? Frieren..." Trailing off, he tilted his head back to glance over his shoulder at her. He doubted she'd ever stop saying that they had just met. If she did, it would be an unfathomably long amount of time, long after he had perished. Even so - he still wanted to say those words to her.

"I missed you."

Pure, genuine, and simple. Like a warm ray of sunshine. Faintly pearly glistens of his teeth had one last smile aimed in her direction... even if those curves of his lips seemed ever so slightly resigned than they usually were.

I learned that some people have been claiming to see the remnants of the demon lord's army in the Central Lands...

"Central. Now that's odd... one might've figured it would be the Northern Lands that'd be in the biggest unrest after the fall of the Demon King. Hm..." Cupping his chin, he mulled over the events as of late. Unlike Frieren, he kept up regularly with all those that he had passed in his journey. Correspondences, letters, visits - a Hero's job never truly ended until he was five feet under in his grave, after all. It was only once she admitted that an entire village had been scorched that his expression grew pained. "...Is that right?" It never changed. There were countless people he could not save. Countless people that died before he could ever get to them. Countless demons that had ravaged lands long before he could have stopped them but never once had he grown indifferent. Like clockwork, she'd always find that look of regret plastered over his features. It hadn't been his fault. Demons slaughtered indiscriminately - that was the unfairness of reality. Himmel never allowed himself to look at them as just another death. Just another casualty.

Everyone that departed had their own life and their own story. They deserved to have their closure. He would give it to them.

We should probably sit down somewhere if you want to hear about my travels.

"You never were in a rush to get anywhere, were you? Alright, alright... it'll take some time to get to the Central Lands regardless. I'm coming." That solemn mood would lighten once she started to speak about all the magic she had acquired since she had left him. Nothing overly flashy, nor was it anything that could be used in combat. Himmel would make his way right next to Frieren before entering the town right alongside her. No complaints about him accompanying her, in fact he would have gone even if she had told him that she had no plans to go herself. Entering back into the city would produce the sights of a familiar town. Some construction had come along for new homes and new faces but largely, it was the same. Himmel hardly expected to be returning back in but maybe that was a lack of foresight on his end.

Frieren always did like to take things at her pace, after all.

Turning along the street, he escorted her back to his residence. Nothing grandiose or overtly posh it was a small, cozy home on the outskirts of the city in a relatively simple part of town. Extravagance was never something that Himmel sought out. Dipping a hand into his pocket, he pressed a key into the lock of the home to open it up and at the same time, the fairly basic magical spell locking the home would come undone allowing the two of them inside. The interior had been just as straightforward as the exterior. A single, large room that served as the entrance all set up with a dining table and chairs. A bookshelf with handfuls of relevant tomes were splashed along the edges of the first room along with a fireplace that had currently gone out. Built into the first room was a kitchen with minimal preparation, leading into the single lone bedroom and then one additional room on the left wall that was locked with a much stronger magical seal.

...Likely for the best seeing as how Frieren would be able to feel the miasma of something dark and corrupt spilling from it.

"Living every day next to that horn is awfully unpleasant, Frieren. Though, I suppose it's better here than anywhere else. There's a number of other things that are safest with me." Sighing, he locked the door behind them and made his way to the kitchen to brew up a pot of tea. It would've been simple for Frieren to just conjure it, but he hardly knew whether or not she had all the right spells. All it took was about twenty minutes before the pot was a proper boil and with it, he'd bring it over to the table along with a tray of two cups. Pouring one for himself and then one for her, he sat down across the table and settled in comfortably.

"Have you found any more traveling companions in these last six months, Frieren? I know you have trouble waking up... and your hair ends up all messy in the morning too. Have you been doing okay? Eating well? Resting properly? You do look a little listless..." A hand reached forward, thumb brushing up against her cheek as those sky blues met her own gaze. "...ah, wait. You're just usually like that, aren't you?" ...Classic. Not a moment of hesitation before he teased her as affectionately as always.

"I missed you."

Frieren, who the concept of missing someone was rather vague didn't know how to respond his honest feelings. Even when her master passed away she took it as something unavoidable, and while keeping her favorite spell as something she holds near and dear to her heat she is not sure if what she feels could be called 'missing someone'. She looks at Himmel smiling gently at her with a puzzled look before giving him a shy nod and a short and simple response. "It's good to see you too..."

As the two walk towards Himmel's house Frieren kept looking around her, despite not being overly decorated and flashy anymore the happy and warm atmosphere from the night they returned could be still felt in the air and in people living in the city. Most people were going about their lives happily and the city was bustling with life, which made even the stoic elf crack a little smile. Children were laughing and running around the paved paths of the central town, shopkeepers were trying to attract the customers to their shop and some were enjoying some nice drinks and foods at the cafe's and restaurants they passed by. This kind of tranquil scene would've been unimaginable few years ago, so when she sees concrete results of their long journey she can't help but a feel a little sense of pride swelling inside of her.

When they finally arrive at the front door of her companions house she waits as he opens the door and let's her inside. "Pardon the intrusion." she says and does a little polite bow before stepping in the quaint building, which is unlike what Frieren expected of him. Based on everything she saw during their trips she expected at least a dozen of self-portraits to adorn the walls, maybe some statues of him, both small and large to be scattered about, and some other random decorations with his face or whole frame plastered on them, but to her surprise she found a perfectly normal looking, cozy home with slightly more tomes than what you might find in the residence of a usual civilian. Another detail that you most likely wouldn't find in usual residence was a locked door that oozed out dark aura. "Maybe it's the Shadow Dragon's horn I let him keep for now..." she thinks to herself before getting confirmation to her suspision.

"I'll take your word for it... It does make you feel rather uncomfortable when you have to sleep next to that thing." she says and shudders a bit as she thinks about the time she was looking after it. "I assume that's where you keep all the statues and pictures of yourself?" she drops out a blunt question as she takes her shoes off and steps further in with her luggage. She walks to the table and takes a seat, watching Himmel as he starts to prepare tea for the two. For some reason the sight of him doing so also surprises her a little bit, but maybe it was because of the regular looking house combined with his homely behavior that was in contrast with Himmel on their travel that created this feeling. It certainly wasn't a bad feeling, and seeing the new, unexpected side of him was refreshing to her. "I am surprised. I never thought I'd see you brewing tea in a house like this... I think that this is what they mean when they say that someone could make a good husband..." she comments bringing her thumb and index-finger to her chin clearly mulling it over in her head.

When he sits down with her she takes the cup and has a sip of the tea before she answers. "I haven't looked any... Travelling with others is more taxing than doing it myself... And I can sleep as long as I want." she says and gives him a little smug smile. "My hair is a bit troublesome, but I can manage with it after a good rest." she adds before taking another sip.

"As for sleeping and eating I get by. I sleep when I am tired, and eat when I want to... Though out in the wilderness I can sometimes go a few days with what I can gather from the woods." a little darknered expression rises to her face as she is clearly remembering something unpleasant, but she shakes it off quickly. "I did hurry here after I saw the burned-down village, so I haven't slept all that much these past few days." she admits before turning the conversation over to Himmel brushing off her own tiredness.

"How about you? I bet the hero has a lot of things to do in the capital. Are they paying you enough? Maybe the wage is even smaller than the ten copper coins we got while we left..." she asks and looks around her. Again the house he resided was extremely homely, but she expected him to live in something more fancy and extravagant. She honestly expected him to lead the elf to some sort of mansion where Himmel's head decorated the gate and that screamed 'I saved the humanity from demon-lord'.

I assume that's where you keep all the statues and pictures of yourself?

Glancing back in the direction she was noting, he'd go quiet for a few moments... nearly as if he was confused about something. Turning back to her once more, he would state - "Frieren. Those paintings and statues aren't for me. I can see myself regularly, after all. They're for you. And the rest of the world." Tucking his hands into a bridge, he'd rest his chin over the back of those interlocked fingers with that edge of his grin growing a little deeper along his cheeks. Enough to show off those faint little dimples of his. "I'd like the world to remember. That, once upon a time, an utterly ordinary human rose up and with his party, was able to attain what was thought to be unattainable. Legends and myths are important." Leaning away from the edge of the table, he'd raise a finger up in that matter-of-fact way before giving his teacup a small swirl on his free hand. "...But -" Faintly, his expression grew somewhat more serious. Brows furrowed and the faint edge of his gaze turning lightly conflicted. "- if they're just legends and myths, people will begin to doubt. I don't want that, Frieren. Right now... even as the two of us are speaking... the person to surpass me may very well be a baby clinging to their mother at this moment. I love the thought of that, Frieren. I want humanity to feel safe. And I want to inspire them too. That is why I leave those statues and paintings around..."

"...and, of course, because I'm quite handsome as well and it'd be a shame if nobody remembered what I looked like." Very nearly inspiring, if not for the last little tidbit at the end that he just always had to throw in. It wasn't until his companion's next few words that he finally went quiet entirely.

I think that this is what they mean when they say that someone could make a good husband...

Now where did she hear something like that? Himmel's baby blues locked with her own gaze for a few seconds as if he'd be able to tell just by staring into her eyes. Impossible. There wasn't a single ounce of information to steal from that stare of hers. "Well, either way... I wouldn't be able to settle down just yet to begin with. The world still needs me. Though it's a bit of a strange duality. Any marriage proposals that come in are, oftentimes, just enamored with the idea of wedding the Hero and not simply myself." Nothing that could be done about that -- the world knew him because of his exploits, not because of who he was.

I haven't slept all that much these past few days.

Reaching forward, his hand swept over the side of her cheek. Caressing down her jawline, he borderline forced her gaze to tilt up to meet his own. Uncharacteristically serious as he stared dead into her eyes with equal parts irritation as there was concern. "You never did have much consideration, Frieren. About yourself, I mean. I won't fault you for wanting to get this issue solved sooner rather than later but... you do know that there are people who care deeply about you, right? I do, anyways. So I'll be upset if you push yourself too much like this. You wouldn't want to make me sad, would you?" Himmel's intent was hardly to just hear a flat 'I don't care', but rather to make it just slightly inconvenient for her to deny it. That, alone, showed that she cared if even a little about what he had to say.

How about you?
I bet the hero has a lot of things to do in the capital.
Are they paying you enough?

Drawing his hand back, he stifled a laugh. "Oh, they're not giving me payment at all. Or, rather, I refuse to take it. In the aftermath of the war, money is most important in rebuilding. There are far more important people that money can go to right now rather than just gloating about heroics. I've done my job. Now, it's up to those who inhabit these lands to do theirs. For that, they require money." Either way, a few more glances around his home would show off the fact that he wasn't particularly extravagant with his spending. In every way, it was a very modest home and in every way, he seemed plenty satisfied with it.

"Frieren, will you sleep here for the night? Considering what we're about to do, we have to pack quite a bit. You'll be good and catch up on your rest for me, won't you? I'll handle the supplies in the meantime. We'd be able to head out early tomorrow once all the preparations are set. There's a few I'd like to notify about my movements as well prior to us setting out. What do you think? If you're going to be stubborn and sneak around town, though, you should just come with me while I'm supplying." Himmel quickly added, knowing full well that his beloved little elf had a fair bit of a little conniving gremlin streak to wandering around town and buying awfully unnecessary and compromising purchases. No doubt, there'd be something in the Royal Capital that'd suit her liking as well.

"Frieren. Those paintings and statues aren't for me. I can see myself regularly, after all. They're for you. And the rest of the world."

After hearing Himmel's saying that the statues and the pictures were for the people to admire she looks at her with suspicious look on her face. "Eh? Really?" not really believing that was all there was to them. She did see that him wanting to bring people a sense of security and comfort was part of the reason, but when she remembers how particular he was of their appearance and how many agonizing hours she, Heiter and Eisen had to spend just idling in the corner, looking as the blue-haired hero was trying to pick a perfect pose while the sculptor was practically crying in their seat she couldn't help but not take his words completely granted.

However as he further kept explaining the reason he requested those statues she starts to get the feel that it was at the very least the main reason he asked those to be made. She takes a sip of her drink and after the cup parts from her lips she closes her eyes, and when she opens them again the questioning gaze has softened to her regular, deadpan look. "I see... Well I guess that that way of thinking is very much like you." she comments feeling that despite their ten-year travel together she learned a bit more of one of her party members. Of course she had seen his heroic deeds and noticed the traits of an hero as they jorneyed, but when seeing how he acts when an art-piece is made of him one wouldn't probably blame Frieren for doubting him and his intetions at least a little.

His last comment about his looks makes Frieren furrow her brows a bit and sigh. "... I'll take that back..." she says with her serious voice. She meant her comment more as a joke, but it was unclear if her intentions were conveyed to Himmel. He did seem to pick up cues that no-one else had before, so this might be a rare case of Frieren's light-hearted jab landing.

Frieren once again listens as Himmel replies to her comment about him possibly being what one would call a 'good husband' . She had learned the phrase on her travels while staying a night at a household where the husband was an excellent cook and host. Her wife praised him a lot and used this expression of him, and the way the hero conducted himself reminded her of that. At first she's not really sure what to reply to him, but she tries her best to give him a reply. "I'm sure you'll eventually find someone who sees you more than just a handsome hero... At some point they have to learn about your obsession of your looks and all after all." she adds clearly a bit hung-up on the the subject matter. "But also they learn about your kind nature and selflessness too." she continues as she enjoys her tea.

When the blue-eyed hero leans forward and tilts her head so that their eyes meet she can't help but to keep starting into his glimmering blue eyes as her mouth opens a bit in a confusion of his gesture. She listens to what he has to say without interrupting, and after staying quiet for a few second when he's done with expressiong his concerns her wondering expression turns to a smile. She then brings her hand forward and puts it on Himmels head, patting it gently. "Thank you, but you're at least hundred years too young to worry about me. I may not look like it, but a little sleep-deprivation won't kill me..." she confidently says, before continuing. "... But I might sleep for a two days straight after I get the chance to sleep." when the four were travelling togehter there was always someone who would make her to get up, but when travelling alone she could sleep whenever and how much she wanted. Of course she'd erect a protective barrier to keep herself safe just in case if she had to camp outside now that she was all alone, but the fact that she could set to journey whenever she wanted was definitely one of the perks of travelling alone.

"Oh, they're not giving me payment at all. Or, rather, I refuse to take it. In the aftermath of the war, money is most important in rebuilding. "
Taking a new sip of her drink she listens his whole explanation, which again makes sense, and feels something that the man Frieren knew would do. "That makes sense. I was just honestly expecting you to ask quite a large home that you'd decor with statues and art of yourself... But I guess since you don't have those this kind of cozy little home is enough for you." she comments and again let's her eyes wonder all over it. "I do think that after what you've said I feel that this is a perfect home for you." she says and flashes him a little smile again before finishing her drink.

When Himmel asks if she's going to stay the night at his place she nods. "That was my plan yes. I can save money for the travel and for some possible purchases I'll be making here." blue-haired hero's intuition was spot on, since of course she couldn't resist on visiting the shops relating to magic and grimoires around the capital. She had little to no time to go over them the last time she was in town, but this time Frieren was dead-set on at least touring the biggest one of them, however despite saying to him that he shouldn't worry about her sleep-deprivation she didn't want to purposely cause worries for him, so she continues. "You could pick a route where the shops containing magic-books and equipment are, and after we've gone through them I could come here and rest a little... " usually Frieren would just do as she wished like Himmel knew, but his words did resonate with her on some level, and she was unusually open to meet halfway with his suggestion.

I do think that after what you've said I feel that this is a perfect home for you.

After what he said, huh? Frieren never changed, truthfully. A terrible communicator but when some things clicked for her, it was by far the most satisfying feeling in the world. So much so that a smile settled past his features and his reply came, as nonchalant as ever. "Is that so?" Simple, but sweet. Returning to the kitchen counter briefly, Himmel would shift the remainder of their cups into the wash basin for later and with it he would extend his hand down to the still seated elf to help her up. She hadn't been that old yet, had she? That was far from the reason he held his hand out to her. Broad but somewhat soft. At least a fair bit more than when he was adventuring with her. Years would never be able to erode the experience he had but his time in that city had but surely enough, his time in that city had allowed him to experience a much more leisurely existence. The type that would make most seasoned warriors itch for glory or adventure.

But not him.

Once he helped his companion up, he would escort them to the front door right before tossing back one more comment over his shoulder. "You'll let me choose something for you too, won't you? Since it doesn't matter to you." He mentioned, reminding her of the ring he had gotten her. One of many presents. He hardly knew if she still kept them all, but that didn't matter too much to him. At the very least he would feel a little disheartened if she lost the ring, but the intention behind a gift had never been its longevity. The purpose of giving it was, by far, the most important of all. Seeing as how it was a rarity for her to even accept at all though - he wouldn't prod too much into it. Whatever he got her, she always took it. Always. Stepping outside alongside her, Himmel paused briefly to ensure the door was locked and the home was secure. Just like that, they'd head right out into town alongside each other.

How long had it been since they walked side by side like this? A few months, but it felt far longer to him... maybe for her it was just a moment. A single second that she wouldn't even bother to consider. Quiet as ever, he'd set his eyes over top her figure from the side. Beautiful as ever, but she hadn't change at all. In a lot of ways, their relationship was like that. Tender, but unchanged. As the duo of the Hero and his mage tread down the street, there was a notable reoccurrence of citizens that practically flocked to them from every direction and angle. Young boys and girls that Himmel would take the time to pause and kneel in front of, reciting tales of his journey to. Elderly who seemed to always soften up around him. Stall vendors whom always wanted to give him a good deal. Radiance was an understatement when it came to the man beside her... so much so that by the time the two of them had made it even thirty minutes out of the home, it felt as if Himmel had spoken to practically half the population of the city square.

But, sure enough, their destination was directly in front of them. Glass display leading into a shop that had the faint scent of aged paper, several shelves stacked high with all manners of books. "Sorry about that. They tend to be a little excited when they see me dressed up. Usually I hardly go out looking like this. Though..." Pushing into the shop, a small bell would chime overhead and he would look back at Frieren with a sympathetic hum. "...they would treat you much the same, if you told anyone who you were. Only the older ones seemed to recognize you." Night and day, the two of them. If Himmel was like the Sun, Frieren must have been the moon. Both bright, but one shone glaringly hard while the other sank back, hidden in the night.

Attending the front counter was an older bespectacled man who straightened up upon seeing the duo. "Ah, Himmel... what may I do for you today? Are you looking for anything in particular?" A brief glance around was all Frieren would've needed to note that there were no grimoires on the shelves. Largely, it was a completely standard bookstore with mostly what looked like novels on the shelves though there were quite a few tomes that taught techniques and other general use textbooks. Making his way to the front counter, the blue-haired man gestured to his companion. "I was wondering if I could see your selection of grimoires. My companion is a mage that loves collecting them... and no, nothing in particular. Just show us whatever you have. If there's something with an odd use that you can't manage to sell, we would be happy to take that." Charity in return for feeding her interest, in a sense. Himmel would never admit to her, but his favorite spells had been the ones that hadn't been utilitarian in any regard. He had the most fun seeing those prized moments where there wasn't a care in the world between the two of them.

"...In that case, how about this one? I would not say it is entirely useless, but the use is a little too odd for the standard mage. I was hoping to peddle it to a collecting noble, but it would be my honor to give it to you instead." Tucking a leather-clad book out of a chest by the side of the desk, he would rest it on the counter in front of the two of them. Himmel, picking it up, would give it back to Frieren right before calling out to the man. "Don't worry. We intend to pay. No, you cannot decline payment. So what does this one do?" He asked, not facing either Frieren or the man. Either of them could've answered, he was sure. All it took was a brief scan over the contents for Frieren to decipher what a grimoire did... but the elderly man behind the counter would be the one to answer first. "It is a grimoire that manifests the color of the relationship between two target individuals. Upon using it, some color or shade will manifest in a thread form between the two. The color of it is how the first target feels towards the second." That wasn't too useless, was it? Himmel cupped his chin. It actually seemed quite useful to pick out animosity - though the man quickly tacked on one more part. "Though, it can only be used if the targets are also consenting to the spell." Ah. So that's what it was? A pesky condition that made it far more difficult to use properly in any sort of interrogation. Well, no matter.

"What do you think, Frieren? Is this one fine? We can look at a few others too, if you'd like." Himmel offered, gesturing back over the counter at a few more possible choices.

Back
Top Bottom