Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Playing it safe vs taking a chance

Makemyday

Planetoid
What do folks think about the choice between doing RP scenarios, characters, etc. you've had experience with before and are comfortable with, and taking on a new challenge where you feel out of your element?

While I enjoy playing character tropes and genres I'm familiar with, I enjoy venturing out of my comfort zone when I can. That usually only happens when I can find a partner patient enough to walk me through things if need be or being patient while I work through unfamiliar territory.

While there are certain concepts, tropes, and cliches I am fond of writing, I'll usually give something fun a go if it sounds like it could be an interesting idea - and much like what Saber said, if my partner is patient as I work out the kinks (heh heh)

I generally come up with new roleplays with my new partners, even if some of the tropes remain the same. I'm more than comfortable doing new things, but my favourites are my favourites for a reason.

I echo the same sentiments said before me. I have my favorites and preferences for a reason, but I don't mind giving something new a chance if I find it even remotely interesting and my partner is patient enough to walk me through it and ease me in to it.

A recent example is me crafting a play with ABO-elements on it. The play seems fun and cute, they showed me some easy to understand guides to it and they didn't throw me in the deep-end of it straight away I was more comfortable in accepting to explore this trope, while never really being that interested of it prior to this.

Enjoy your comfort picks, but also attempt new things just to say you've tried.

I have characters I'm comfortable with, and kinks I'm comfortable with. But I'll also seek to expand my horizons and dabble in characters I've never used, and kinks I never perform in situations I've never written in, so long as my interest in the initial scenario persists. Kinks can be a little tricky depending on what I'm looking to attempt. More often than not, I'll do things for my partner's benefit even if I don't feel strongly about a kink one way or the other.

If a story is good enough, playing a new character or trying a new kink isn't a big deal. I'll even wonder what I was worried about if I'm having enough fun with a partner who understands I'm not in my "element", but am willing to give it a try so long as they're understanding that I'm inexperienced and I need time to get my bearings.

I just can't do the same things forever; comfort is nice, but it can also get stale, and the same situations, and the same kinks, and the same dialogue all start to blur together after a while.

There are certain things that I'll always be seeking, but I've long since stated that OOC compatibility (on things like writing pace, plot expectations, general rapport, etc.) is more important to me than what kind of plot I do or what kind of character I play just because I do so enjoy trying new things out. I also don't really know that I have a "comfort zone" beyond just not really caring for anything too smut-based, so I don't know that I ever really feel out of my element, so to speak.

Everyone is different. Some are picky, some are open, some know exactly what they like, and others have no damn clue.

For myself, I used to be more experimental, but I've been writing long enough that I mostly know what I like and I don't. Here and there, I might try something out of my norm, but it is pretty rare.

I think for newer RPers or those trying to find their footing should experiment a fair amount to try to figure out what works for them and what doesn't. The quicker they do, the quicker they will find RPs that they really like. It also allows RPers to grow as creatives.

I'd also say that even new RPers usually have a general idea of what they are looking for which builds a foundation. That foundation will more than likely not change and is very important.

For myself, I used to be more experimental, but I've been writing long enough that I mostly know what I like and I don't. Here and there, I might try something out of my norm, but it is pretty rare.
I'd say that perfectly summarizes my approach too. Back when I was just starting with online roleplay, I tried many different topics, themes and character archetypes. In terms of fun, some of those roleplays were dreadful, some were fun, some were surprisingly enjoyable, but all helped me confirm or discover my likes and dislikes. After a while, I've settled down with my favourite niches and stick with them, though once in a blue moon (har har!) I venture out ad try something else.

On the other hand, in the few instances I get to be a player in tabletop RPGs, I don't stick to any archetype in particular, but try to fill what the group lacks to make it easier for the GM. E.g. being the party's face if everyone wants to play silent and brooding types, or be the crafty law-breaking schmuck if everyone else is a paragon of law and order.

On the other hand, in the few instances I get to be a player in tabletop RPGs, I don't stick to any archetype in particular, but try to fill what the group lacks to make it easier for the GM. E.g. being the party's face if everyone wants to play silent and brooding types, or be the crafty law-breaking schmuck if everyone else is a paragon of law and order.
In 1-on-1 RPs, that sort of thing can be good value - playing a character that's "opposite" your partner.

In a group TTRPG, that can become a little more murky. In your second example, playing the law-breaking schmuck against everyone else's Lawful Paragon might bring a lot of OOC entertainment value, but it risks bringing a lot of IC trouble the players don't want, to the point where the other players may feel they can't play their characters the way they might do for the sake of party cohesion. A group of lawful PCs might get sick of their lawless rogue stealing shit and turn him in to the local watch, and your character is done...but OOC that doesn't work for the group, so...

I guess my point is...going outside your comfort zone on occasion isn't a bad thing, but you need to also find a balance with the folk around you when you want to push a little.

In a group TTRPG, that can become a little more murky. In your second example, playing the law-breaking schmuck against everyone else's Lawful Paragon might bring a lot of OOC entertainment value, but it risks bringing a lot of IC trouble the players don't want, to the point where the other players may feel they can't play their characters the way they might do for the sake of party cohesion. A group of lawful PCs might get sick of their lawless rogue stealing shit and turn him in to the local watch, and your character is done...but OOC that doesn't work for the group, so...
You're a bit off the target. In that particular case, it wasn't about playing a Chaotic Asshole rogue (and boy, do I "love" having those in a party), but rather having someone morally gray who could sneak, picklock or pickpocket when need be, without having other players break their law-abiding characters. Yeah, a good set of players and GM could still play around lack of those skills, but back then I knew that both the players and the GM were inexperienced, so figured I might as well play it safe.

You're a bit off the target. In that particular case, it wasn't about playing a Chaotic Asshole rogue (and boy, do I "love" having those in a party), but rather having someone morally gray who could sneak, picklock or pickpocket when need be, without having other players break their law-abiding characters. Yeah, a good set of players and GM could still play around lack of those skills, but back then I knew that both the players and the GM were inexperienced, so figured I might as well play it safe.
Ah, that's fair enough. It also helps if the Lawful Paragons don't move and act like they've got poles up their butts, too. Having that morally grey person in the party is definitely useful, for sure. :)

I enjoy trying new things, and while I know I have some "archetypes" at times and looking at many of my RP or OC characters often I can see a pattern, I really try to get out of that and try everything at least once.

I am less about considering whether or not something is what I am experienced in, versus considering whether it's something I would enjoy writing. If it does not appeal to me, whether it's threated territory or not, I'm not going to twist myself into an RP. The reason is simple; I respect what little time I have to dedicate to RP too much to waste it forcing out posts I don't want to write, and respect my partners too much to put them through waiting on and having to cope with my awful, forced, attempts at feigning interest.

Back
Top Bottom