Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Issue Jumping cursor?

CasualVelociraptor

Ravenclaw
Supporter
Does anyone know what causes the text cursor to jump to random points in posts sometimes? It drives me nuts. Sometimes when trying to delete a word, for instance, it just refuses to and deletes a random patch of text instead. Or forces what I'm typing to become something different than intended. Highlighting is also impossible at random times for no reason.

I do not experience this problem so I can't much help you. Perhaps posting some additional information such as your choice of browser and operating system might be of some help for others trying to troubleshoot the problem. For instance I'm on windows 10 and use Firefox without dealing with what you describe.

Does anyone know what causes the text cursor to jump to random points in posts sometimes? It drives me nuts. Sometimes when trying to delete a word, for instance, it just refuses to and deletes a random patch of text instead. Or forces what I'm typing to become something different than intended. Highlighting is also impossible at random times for no reason.
I'm unsure if this is the same issue, but it seems similar if not the same; when on mobile, I experience my cursor moving to places I didn't tell it to go, usually lines under where I want it to go, and I cannot remove those lines or get it to go exactly where I want it to. This does not occur on desktop. It could be a XenForo bug.

I think I just got hit by this issue myself, though it wasn't mid post. I was running my cursor over some text in another person's post and my mouse started jumping around, the mouse itself is clean and new so I can't imagine it's an issue with my mouse.

I'm unsure if this is the same issue, but it seems similar if not the same; when on mobile, I experience my cursor moving to places I didn't tell it to go, usually lines under where I want it to go, and I cannot remove those lines or get it to go exactly where I want it to. This does not occur on desktop. It could be a XenForo bug.
I have that too on mobile. When I want to select and copy longer text, when I try to scroll, some event triggers (is there a delay from on finger touch event?) and the lovely "Reply to..." tooltip appears, moving the selection back "randomly". Ideally, I'd love it if there was an option to turn off the tooltip (either fully or on mobile).

I have that too on mobile. When I want to select and copy longer text, when I try to scroll, some event triggers (is there a delay from on finger touch event?) and the lovely "Reply to..." tooltip appears, moving the selection back "randomly". Ideally, I'd love it if there was an option to turn off the tooltip (either fully or on mobile).
When it happens to me, I can't delete the lines which are created; those lines are blank, but backspace and selecting them does not work. I have to either go on desktop to edit the message at that point, or just send the message with those annoying blank lines.

I need to write the XF team a nastygram about holding back froala fixes -_-

I need to write the XF team a nastygram about holding back froala fixes -_-

For those who don’t know, that’s our What You See is What You Get HTML editor, which appears to be what’s at issue. That would line up with errors happening on multiple platforms and browsers.

@Vekseid I know writing something first in a word processor is usually the easiest way to avoid problems with the forum, but since I’ve been writing directly on forums for the last 15 years, is there also a way to force the editor to default to BBCode? Would that be a workaround in the meantime?

For those who don’t know, that’s our What You See is What You Get HTML editor, which appears to be what’s at issue- which would line up with errors happening on multiple platforms and browsers.
I don't use WYSIWYG, I use raw BBCode (the brackets icon). Unless you mean the message box in general.

I don't use WYSIWYG, I use raw BBCode (the brackets icon). Unless you mean the message box in general.
I believe I was talking about the message box, which defaults to WYSIWYG unless you press the brackets icon. So you’re still having these cursor/text entering problems even when using raw BBCode? Jeez.

I believe I was talking about the message box, which defaults to WYSIWYG unless you press the brackets icon. So you’re still having these cursor/text entering problems even when using raw BBCode? Jeez.
Yes, I never use WYSIWYG; I'm a programmer, and I would disable WYSIWYG if I could. I write everything on this site in raw code.

Back
Top Bottom