Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Broken pieces make an interesting whole - Drunk poet/ kirbypuff

Drunk poet

Planetoid
Matthew Jeffries racked his brain hard, trying to think of something, anything that could keep him from going home to his wife, Maki. Things that kept him busy, be it work, friends or colleagues, hell even something as mundane as his tax return for the year were a welcome distraction from the situation at home, so he threw himself into them with reckless abandon for anyone in his life.

It was not that he didn't love his wife. Man there had been times, back when it was new and exciting, when all he could think about was getting home so he could bury himself deep within her warm inviting body, hands caressing her as she brought him sweet release. He didn't know if it had been good for her, but she seemed to enjoy it, otherwise she wouldn't have married him in the first place.

Fate, it appeared had not been kind to Matthew though. A year into his marriage he still had no children - and it wasn't for lack of trying. He and his wife Maki had tried pretty much everything to help her until it seemed they were throwing good money after bad. It was driving a wedge between them and so he reverted to doing what he did best - ignoring the problem.

There had been a bit of guilt at first as Matthew made the decision to ignore his wife. In the back of his mind Matthew could hear his father's words on their wedding day. "Y'all are a team now you hear? Whatever comes your way you need to know that Maki is there for you in the end zone just as Maki needs to know she has you." His dad had never really been one for sports metaphors but he was dropping the ball and he knew it.

The memory of his father shook him into the present a little. Shit! He had completely forgotten that his dad was coming to stay a while so that his place could be redecorated, but the guys had wanted him out for golf most of the weekend so time with his father would need to wait until later.

Dialling Maki's number on his phone, Matthew prepared himself to deliver the best excuse he could muster:

"Hon I'm going to be out a lot this weekend, damn expenses roster for Japan is all messed up again. Do you think you could look after dad for the next few days?"

Mentally, Matthew prepared himself for the questions she could level at him. She would be disappointed he knew, but the idea of going home and having to pretend things were okay was really unappealing to him right now.

Maki knows, when she sees her husband's name appear on her phone, that she's not going to like what he has to say.

She has tried to be understanding, given how miserable things have been; their difficulties conceiving have been hard on both of them, and made things tense at home, but this is getting ridiculous. Sure enough, as soon as she picks up, he tells her he'll be incredibly busy this weekend, and honestly, Maki isn't sure she believes it's more work-- it's always work, allegedly-- but she's so tired that she doesn't have it in her to question him. It won't make a difference. He's going to be out all weekend and at this point, she's a little relieved she won't have to put up with him complaining and being bratty.

Matthew doesn't handle the problem so much as he avoids it, and lets it build and boil until he lashes out. If "working" gives him an outlet, then fine.

As exhausted as she is, it hurts that he avoids her rather than talking to her about this problem that they're sharing. She's the one undergoing expensive fertility treatments and trying to improve things with him in the bedroom, and he just... doesn't deal with it. Moreover, it's frustrating that she's the one expected to make compromises; Matthew is enthused about sex when it's what he wants, but when she suggests things that might make it better for her, he's halfhearted at best.

In short, she's tired, far too much to fight.

"I'm sorry you'll be stuck at work, honey," she replies, trying vainly to hide the hurt in her voice. As much as she loves spending time with Winston, and has less than zero qualms keeping him company during his stay, he's still Matthew's father, and she hates to be the bearer of bad news when he arrives for dinner. Maki heaves a sigh and rubs at her forehead. "I'll make sure dad's okay this weekend."

Maybe she should put up more of a fight, but she's in the middle of preparing dinner. It was supposed to be special-- she'd selected meals from her favorite YouTube recipe channels to test out-- but she figures it'll just be her and Winston enjoying the meals now. Rather than prolonging the conversation, she ends it quickly, preferring instead to focus on things that make her happy rather than lamenting things she has already tried to change but hasn't been able to. She has lamb tagine, couscous, and kisir to make, and enjoying it with her father-in-law is going to be a far more productive evening.

Matthew put on a tone of relief as Maki replied in her understanding but disappointed way. She was trying hard, he knew, but he just didn't want to process it right now. A selfish part of him wanted to take the easy paths in life and navigating the treatments and his wife's expectations of him as a husband were frankly exhausting.

"Thanks babe, I knew you'd understand" Opting for a little manipulation he added "I don't know what I'd do without you." A few last words passed between them and then he hung up the phone, putting all thoughts of his family to the back of his mind. For the next few days at least, cocktails golf and the usual male banter about the female caddies becoming younger and more attractive every year lay in store for him.

Meanwhile, oblivious to what had gone on between his son and daughter-in-law, Winston navigated his way through the busy suburban streets his son had chosen to call home. It was perfect for young families, and indeed Winston spotted what he assumed to be first time mothers and fathers living out their first few years of married bliss together. At once his thoughts went to simpler times, married to Grace with her daddies blessing. Out into a similar, but much less fancy location and of course Sunday cookouts with the neighbours, pleasant surroundings and the excitement of young love.

That had been a long while ago though, and now his son had a wife of his own, Maki, who Winston adored. She was pretty and smart and, despite his son's behaviour, seemed surprisingly calm about things. It was not lost on Winston that there was a tension between the two of them, but until recently he had not wanted to pry, however it was getting to a point where the brave face Maki put on could not disguise the truth. He intended during his stay to take his son to task on it as is wife deserved better.

Winston arrived in the drive way a few moments aftermath and Matthew had got off the phone. As always he had brought wine and he stood, bottle in hand as he rang the door bell.

"Maki how good to see you" his voice brightened as his daughter-in-law answered the door. "I brought wine and if you need me to help out with anything let me know." Maki was like the daughter he had never had and he only hoped he could get Matthew to get it together for the sake of his marriage. God knows he would be hard pressed to find a woman as good as she was.

The whole conversation leaves a bad taste in her mouth. Why is it always on her to be understanding, and take care of her father-in-law, and get pregnant? She has a clue what he'd do if he didn't have her: go back to life as it was before they got married, and probably enjoy it. In that hopeless moment, she wonders why Matthew even agreed to marry her if it only makes him miserable.

She doesn't have time to dwell on it. Maki puts the phone down and there's a knock at the door, and Maki's immediately back in hostess mode, offering her father-in-law a gentle smile as she lets him in. It helps that being around Winston genuinely makes her happy, because he has always been so considerate of her, and has never once made her feel unwelcome. Given her mess of a family and minimal prospects, she has become accustomed to suspicion regarding her intentions (which is a polite way of saying she has been accused of gold-digging multiple times by families of her previous partners), but Winston has only ever offered support, and for that, she's grateful.

"Oh, what a wonderful gift!" she chirps merrily, taking the bottle of wine from Winston to put it in the fridge while she finishes preparing dinner, next to the glasses she keeps on ice just in case. There's three in there for this weekend, but she realizes she'll only need two given Matthew has once again skipped out on spending time with her; again, she's hurt, but it's much easier not to dwell on it when Winston's there.

"We're just waiting on the couscous to finish cooking," she explains as she turns the burner off and begins plating the tagine and kisir. "I hope you like Moroccan and Turkish food. I have lamb tagine with olives and dates, kisir served with lettuce, and couscous. I also have some garlic toast at the table." She offers Winston a proud smile. "Feel free to take a seat! What would you like to drink? I have some lemon barley water, seltzer water, beer, soda, fruit juice-- what sounds good? Sadly, Matthew won't be joining us this weekend since he's busy at work, so it'll just be me. Hopefully that's not too much of a bummer."

Winston got himself situated at the kitchen table, knowing better than to argue with Maki when she was in hostess mode. "Tagine and Kisir sounds lovely my dear" he replied, taking on a fatherly, almost caring tone. "You know my Gracie had a friend whose husband was Moroccan, not much of a talker but when he got on the trumpet, man could he make that horn sing. We used to go to the jazz club and watch him perform. Course that was before Matthew was born and we were just two youngsters trying to make our way in the world." He chuckled at the memory. "A beer would go down a treat right about now" he added in response to her question about drinks."

The older man sighed a little as Maki explained that his son would not be joining them. "That boy of mine'll work himself into an early grave" he said. "I keep telling him, there'll be time to make your fortune when your older, take your wife out and make some memories, still all the more for you and me I guess." Taking it as an invitation from Maki, he tucked into a piece of garlic toast, letting out a deep 'mmm' of approval as he ate.

"Y'know I had a little something planned for the weekend of my own" he confessed as he waited for Maki to join him. "I was waiting until Matthew got in, but since he's not joining us it could be fun as just the two of us, Lord knows you need a break from looking after him anyway. So if you're still interested I got tickets to to a cabaret evening tomorrow. A nice 3 course meal, a bit of live music, that sorta thing, my way of saying thanks for letting me stay, what do you think?"

Maki loves listening to Winston talk about the things he and Matthew's mother used to do together.

She imagines her mother and father had done similar things together; when she was little, she remembers them talking about it-- tearing up the Shinjuku and Ginza night scene in the 80s, letting loose as only people young and in love can-- but after her father's death, her mother didn't talk about it again. Given the benefit of hindsight, she can see why now, but it doesn't make the strange ache in her chest any less persistent, and hearing Winston talk about the same thing eases it. Rather than letting herself languish in nostalgic despair, she brings the plated food to the table, and then moves to the fridge.

"Do you prefer darker beer, or lighter beer? I have Saint Arnold's Fancy Lawnmower, Blue Moon, and Ruby Redbird," she calls as she opens the door to inspect the beer shelves she keeps stocked in the event of company. She herself enjoys Saint Arnold's occasionally, but with them attempting to get pregnant, she has abstained, though tonight, she's seriously tempted.

"A cabaret sounds lovely! I'm only sorry that Matthew won't be able to join us." They both tell him he should work less, especially when it comes to spending time with family; she gets it when it's her family, given it's three rambunctious kids and a chronically-ill woman in her late forties, but this is Matthew's father. There's going to come a time Winston won't be there anymore, and though she doesn't suspect it'll be any time soon, the last thing she wants is for her husband to lament not getting more time with him later in life. Having lost both of her parents, and been given a ticking clock on her Aunt Katie, she knows how precious time is.

Again, she'll be sure to take plenty of pictures, and maybe impart some memories for Matthew, as well. She sighs as she moves to fluff the couscous before serving it. Cooking is a comfort to her, and she can't help that it's what she does naturally when she's upset.

Back
Top Bottom