Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Knight's Honor(Candira and Raphael)

The moon was still in the sky when the knight awoke. He sat up in his bunk and blinked away the last of his sleep, getting out of bed and stretching, the muscle cording underneath his taut skin. Pulling a plain, threadbare tunic and leather breeches out of his trunk, the knight dressed and put on his leather boots. He strapped his sword belt around his waist and slid his scabbard into it, readjusting until it fell to his side just right. Gazing at his reflection in the looking glass, the knight ran his fingers through his messy red hair, trying to tame it and, in the end, leaving it be. He could not afford to be late.

"How's it going, Arm?" The knight looked over his shoulder to see that his friend had also overslept and was on the verge of being late for the early morning practice bouts.

"I've told you a million times, it's Sir Armitael to you. Now pep up your step, we don't want to be late."

As always, the bouts were intese and tested every aspect of the knights, their speed and swordsmanship, their cunning, their teamwork, their ability to act calmly in a stressful situation. It was something most men couldn't have handled, it took a different type person to be a knight. At the end, Armitael was covered in a sheen of sweat and taking deep breaths. He'd removed his tunic and was trying to let the bright sunlight dry him off.

Just then, he was called to attention. As he snapped straight, he realized that it was the king doing so and instead, fell to a knee. "My liege. How may I help you?"

The king was a tall, stately man, practiced in the ways of magic. Because of this, he was rather thin and looked surprisingly young. He didn't look a day older than 30, though in reality, he was 50. One of the good things about having the royal magic in your blood stream was certainly the expanded life span. He smiled down at the knight before him and motioned for him to stand. "I'm afraid I must ask your assistance in a matter. You've proven yourself to be calm, strong, and a quick thinker. You're exactly the person to help me," he said, hoping that the smattering of compliments he'd just laid down would help him to persuade the knight. "Lately, I've noticed that my daughter is withdrawing from the castle more often. As you know, it is dangerous for any maiden to wander about by herself, even if it is just within the confines of the immediate area. I'm worried for her safety. Her magic has not yet been perfected. As it stands, she cannot protect herself, and unfortunately, I cannot always be with her."

He was beating around the bush now...the time had come to just say what it was he wanted. He was, after all, King Royan, the proud. "I am in need of your services. Please, consider what I request of you. Protect my daughter as her body guard."

Armitael listened idly to the king's compliments. The man wanted something and he was beating around the proverbial bush. Finally, the king gathered his wits and stunned the knight with his request. For a moment, he was speechless. Her personal bodyguard? What an honor this was! Although happy, he kept his excitement to himself. This was a diplomatic process, accepting the job.

"You wish me to be her personal guard? My king, such an honor is not worthy of your lowly knight. My magic is for war, I wouldn't know how to protect her with it. And even if I were to accept such an honor, what does the job entail being her personal bodyguard?"

He couldn't just jump right on the bandwagon. An eager knight was a dead one.

The king shook his head. "You've no need to be quite so modest. I've seen what you can do. I believe you should be the one to protect my daughter, for all of the reasons I have already stated. Please, do not make me repeat myself," he said, softly chuckling at the knight's reaction. "You, I believe, with your experience and your level-headedness will make an excellent guard. Ever-vigilant, so they say." He smiled and sat down on a nearby bench. "I understand your reluctance in taking this job. After all, it's not as though we don't have any enemies, nor is it as though there have never been attempts on the lives of the royal family..." he paused here, thinking of his wife and how an assassin had managed to get through the line of defense while she was sick and weak. With a sigh, he answered the next question with some reluctance.

"She may not like it, but you will need to follow her just about everywhere. Protect her when you can...Befriend her if you like. Help her in all that she does, and loyalty is a requirement. That is my request of you. When you have come to a decision, you may find me in the castle. The guards will know to let you in." That said, the king disappeared from sight and reappeared in his throne room.

Back
Top Bottom