Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Dreamveil Chronicles: The Eclipse Carnival - Chapter 1: The Origins

Dreams and Nightmares

As the lantern flared your role was cast
Hello! So this is a little project of mine, I wanted to start a story about one of my plots, and so today I wrote its first chapter, and here I am, sharing it in the hopes to get criticism about what I've done right, and what I've done wrong. Feel free to share your thoughts with me, and, yeah. Here it is:

Rain was pouring. It had been pouring for hours, relentlessly falling on anyone who dared be outside. Anyone not wanting to get wet had hid themselves in their home, a warm cocoon that would protect them from the weather. But for those who didn't have a home, warmth was not an option. The young 10 year old boy was folded upon himself, his back against cold stone, in an alleyway which unfortunately did not protect him from the downpour. If it had not been for the sky already doing so, perhaps he'd sobbed quietly, thinking about how his fate could have been different. But unfortunately for him, some people aren't lucky enough to get to choose their own life. Steps were heard down the alleyway, probably from someone still trying to get home. He could hear them approaching, yet did not react to them, for it did not concern him. The sound got close, and then stopped. He did not pay any mind to it.

"What are you doing outside, boy?" A voice called out. The voice was scary, yet mesmerizing. It made him look up, to try and see who was talking to him. The man was tall, looked unnatural. Although it was raining like no other day, he did not look drenched. His hair was a vibrant purple, slicked back so that the boy could see his face very clearly. Eyes of a nebulous purple, which looked at him like they knew everything about him. His mouth was curved into an amused smile, one with which someone would have if they were looking at a lost puppy playing around, as they considered bringing it home, knowing very well that they would never do so. His face was sharp, and his stature as well, although the clothes he had on where a mystery to the boy. He wore a long, foggy grey jacket with wavy motifs on it. His sleeves were rolled up, and under the grey jacket there was a purple suit, tucked in long, black pants who descend to his brown leather shoes.

"Well? Do you not have a home to go to?" As he said so, he slowly crouched so that he could see the boy better, closer.

"No." The boy finally answered. He had answered such a question countless times, knowing what would follow. They would look at him like a lost animal, with pity in their eyes, go "awww, if only I could bring you back with me..." and then leave him to rot in this dark, lonely alleyway.

Silence followed, and the man stood back up. The boy knew he would just leave. The man extended an arm down and said: "Why don't you come with me then?"

The boy's eyes narrowed in confusion, before widening, realizing he was not making a joke. He looked up at the man, for the first time in his life, with the feeling of hope. His own purple eyes twinkled like little stars who had just been lit up, and he took the man's hand, getting up from his wet alleyway corner.

"What is your name?" The man asked.

"Astar." The boy answered. It was one of the only things he could remember that his parents had given him.

"My name is Moon. You are special, Astar. You are different. You have abilities that others don't." Moon continued.

Astar looked at him in confusion, but partly in shock. He did. He'd found himself creating wonders of magic in his spare time, when he thought nobody else was watching. But how did this man know?

"Follow me." Moon started walking, and so Astar walked beside him, eager to follow him wherever it was they were going.

"I've been looking for talent like you, Astar. You see, I've had a project in mind for a while now, but have lacked the necessary pieces to put it into action. It's a simple dream of mine, the dream of bringing smiles and wonder across the Realms, for everyone to see, even children like you. But for that, I need people to share that dream with me. Does that interest you, Astar?" Moon stopped, and turned around so that he could face the child. "Will you come with me? If you follow me, child, I will hone your talent, and you will work for me, so that we may explore every corner in this world together, bringing joy to the ones who have lost it forever ago. What do you say? Would you like to join the Eclipse Carnival, Astar?"

The boy stared at the man, the twinkly stars in his eyes back, a dreamy glimmer that had never been fueled before. What this man was presenting him sounded like a lie, something impossible. And yet Astar wanted to be part of it. He wanted to be something, and so it was without hesitation that Astar shook his head vigorously, knowing that this day would change his life forever. Moon smiled in satisfaction, before turning back around.

"Then let us go, child. Let us go to your new life. To your new purpose."

"To your new Dream."

Back
Top Bottom