Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Issue Some text characters not working...

captain_bond

"Last rat standing."
Withdrawn
Hello, Blue-Mooners! And a particular welcome to staff. My issue is a small one, and, as it says on the tin, some fonts, specifically some characters in those fonts, do not show up correctly when I view the site. I am using Mozilla Firefox, presumably the latest version (cause they've yet to indicate an update is needed), Windows 11 64-bit, and further details are available upon request. Attached are screen snips of a couple examples of what I'm talking about. I hope everyone has a fantastic weekend!!

~CB

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-05-14 104115.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-14 104115.png
    6.6 KB · Views: 13
  • Screenshot 2023-05-14 104355.png
    Screenshot 2023-05-14 104355.png
    3.5 KB · Views: 13
My computer is most definitely not too old (unless planned obsolescence has been whittled down to each "generation" of computers being measured in months, not years), and no update has made itself be known on either my Firefox browser or Windows itself.

Sounds like you need to find a suitable unicode pack ^^ I've pointed you to several now but you can find others by searching Unicode Download or
Unicode Font Add-On.

specifically some characters in those fonts, do not show up correctly when I view the site.
I'm having the same issue, have for months. I'm no newbie to computers or the like, being a daily Linux user and sysadmin, but I'm tired of trying to get this stuff to work across a variety of OSes and browsers. I fully believe only plaintext characters should be used, so this kind of issue doesn't occur, and it also makes it extremely difficult to read the titles of some of these threads even when I use a system which does correctly show the fonts.

Also, a heads-up: Since web fonts can also cause security issues as they allow arbitrary code execution, I won't enabling more than the basics needed to view the site.

Yeah I'm probably gonna err on the side of caution and just ignore anything that updates to Windows or Firefox won't fix.
Apple recently added Lockdown Mode to their devices, with remote font rendering being disabled when Lockdown Mode is enabled since they can be used to run malicious code on users' devices. Unfortunately, as people continue to use such fonts, and with security being increased everywhere (I personally always enable Lockdown Mode on Apple devices, and other devices have similar features), this font rendering issue is going to become a widespread issue. I don't want to get malware or ransomware on my devices just because I want to see pretty fonts (which are often unreadable to me, anyway). Call me boring, but I prefer the safety of my data over some cursive fonts.

Back
Top Bottom