Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Any Good Vampire Fandoms?

Wick2023

Planetoid
Floating around in the vastness of space.
Always has something for vampires, ever since I saw Hellsing and read Bram Stoker's Dracula. I've seen a few fandoms, but don't know any other interesting/unique ones with their takes on the creatures of the night.

So can anyone suggest any vampire shows, movies, games, etc.? Would live to roleplay those with someone if I end up liking them.

I prefer an OC word for my Vampire fix. However two good fandoms Are Vampire Diaries and the Show Van Helson on Netflix.
There is also the Anime Hellsing, good watch, one of my top 5 favorite animes. Watch Ultimate/Ova if you can, it is better.

Oh, I've already seen Hellsing, being well acquainted with the No-Life King

How good is Van Helsing?
I actually did not watch it, but the world is similar to the kind of world I want (Sun blocked out) Though usually I have a world that is shrouded in a constant night and a permafrost settling in killing of vegetation. Humans cowering in the sewers for thermal heat, feeding off of rats, fungus, and in desperation, resorting to cannibalism. Making them even worse than the vampires they are hiding from.

There's always Vampire: the Masquerade - a pretty old RPG with numerous editions, a few tie in computer games and a single season show from back in the day. There's a lot of lore to digest from it - some of which has been retconned, but it is interesting to see where it has influenced other vampire media over time.

It absolutely is, recently had a fifth edition which made a lot of changes - not that I can comment too much as I've not bothered with it.

There's always Vampire: the Masquerade - a pretty old RPG with numerous editions, a few tie in computer games and a single season show from back in the day. There's a lot of lore to digest from it - some of which has been retconned, but it is interesting to see where it has influenced other vampire media over time.

Seconding this! (Maybe not the computer games or the television show from the 90s, but the lore, definitely.) Another writer here introduced me to this and there's just SO MUCH interesting stuff to dig into. They released an updated version of the game in 2018 that's pretty timely, and that I like a lot, but I never played around with prior additions. There's lots of media related to this title out there, stretching back to the 90s, of varying quality.

They leave a lot of room to play lots of different types of vampires, but you can play everything from the snotty aristocrat to the animalistic fighter to the lowly street punk. Standard rules apply: night only, must drink blood, etc...

How would you describe their take on vampires?
I am lazy, have wiki.

Rice's vampires differ in many ways from their traditional counterparts such as Dracula They are unaffected by crucifixes, garlic, a stake through the heart, or holy water. Ancient immortals are almost completely unaffected by the sun. The key trait of Rice's vampires is that they are unusually emotional and sensual, prone to aesthetic thinking. This lends well to artistic pursuits such as painting, writing, and singing; all of which are refined by their eidetic memory and heightened beauty.

Beyond their refined physical features, Rice's vampires are unique in that their appearance is more statue-like than human. Their pupils are luminous while in the dark and their nails appear more like glass. Being undead, their skin is likewise pallid as well as unusually smooth. Additionally, upon being sired, the vampire's body is essentially frozen in the state in which it died. Their hair and nails cease to grow; if they are cut, they will quickly grow back. The undead also possess no bodily fluids other than blood, as they are purged following death.

While virtually all other internal bodily functions expire, Rice's vampires still possess a noticeable heartbeat – albeit considerably slower than that of a living heart. This ensures normal blood circulation and also synchronizes with that of their fledglings while turning them. When vampires enter a state of hibernation, their hearts cease to beat and they enter into a desiccated state in which their bodies become skeletal and dry from lack of blood flow. Blood starvation may also trigger this. Removing their heart from their bodies will also kill them.

Despite these differences, Rice's undead do share some similarities with mainstream vampire fiction. They are supernaturally strong and can move faster than the eye can see. Their senses are heightened and they will heal from any injury short of beheading and even reattach limbs. The act of feeding is highly sexualized in Rice's novels. Vampires both crave and need blood to sustain their unlife. While they can feed on animals, human blood is more nourishing. As they age, they're able to resist the urge more to the point where elders feed only for pleasure.

As with most vampire fiction, all of the undead were originally human. To sire a fledgling, a maker must feed upon a victim to the point of death. The attacker must then offer their own blood for the mortal to drink. After their body expires, they resurrect as a newborn immortal. Fledglings retain all the memories and mannerisms they had in life, however these usually fade or change over time as they acclimate to their new existence. Many young vampires experience existential crises or crippling depression as they learn to cope with their isolated nature.

Seconding this! (Maybe not the computer games or the television show from the 90s, but the lore, definitely.) Another writer here introduced me to this and there's just SO MUCH interesting stuff to dig into. They released an updated version of the game in 2018 that's pretty timely, and that I like a lot, but I never played around with prior additions. There's lots of media related to this title out there, stretching back to the 90s, of varying quality.

They leave a lot of room to play lots of different types of vampires, but you can play everything from the snotty aristocrat to the animalistic fighter to the lowly street punk. Standard rules apply: night only, must drink blood, etc...
Oh yeah some of the stuff does not stand the test of time...such as 'Ethnic Slur: The Sourcebook', but overall it was roughly progressive for the 90's and beyond it. Just that today we have different standards when it comes to basing stuff on other cultures....

You forgot ''hideous monster with heart of gold'' as well ;)

Damn, already mentioned Vampire The Masquerade before I could!
I would highly reccomend it for a good mixture of more monstrous vampires, alongside the more human kind.

Oh yeah some of the stuff does not stand the test of time...such as 'Ethnic Slur: The Sourcebook', but overall it was roughly progressive for the 90's and beyond it. Just that today we have different standards when it comes to basing stuff on other cultures....

You forgot ''hideous monster with heart of gold'' as well ;)

Yeahhh. That sourcebook wasn't great. There were always dark seams of edgelord dumbfuckery at the edges of the canon, and some ill-informed takes that got run with.

But I think there was usually an attempt made to be progressive, inclusive, and to encourage marginalised folks into the spotlight. Worlds away from ideal but, for the tabletop RPG scene in the 90s, worlds away from the norm!

It's a small thing, and honestly kinda outdated by today's standards, but a lot of the old sourcebooks used 'she' as the generic pronoun for a hypothetical person - a player, a character, etc. etc. - instead of 'he'. And while like, okay, singular 'they' is very much a thing. But it sent a nice little message, and along with the number of cool women characters in the wider canon, it made an impression on me as a kid.

I really appreciate a lot of the lore changes made since the 2018 reboot, and the way the new rules really force you to remember your character is ultimately a monster. But I think pushing further and more unequivocally towards inclusivity, and providing tools to pull as few punches and include content as provocative as the genre kinda needs while still playing safely, is one of the better things about the new canon and its fandom.

Anyway, yeah: would recommend.

(P.S. You forgot "golden monster with a hideous heart." ;))

Yeahhh. That sourcebook wasn't great. There were always dark seams of edgelord dumbfuckery at the edges of the canon, and some ill-informed takes that got run with.

But I think there was usually an attempt made to be progressive, inclusive, and to encourage marginalised folks into the spotlight. Worlds away from ideal but, for the tabletop RPG scene in the 90s, worlds away from the norm!

It's a small thing, and honestly kinda outdated by today's standards, but a lot of the old sourcebooks used 'she' as the generic pronoun for a hypothetical person - a player, a character, etc. etc. - instead of 'he'. And while like, okay, singular 'they' is very much a thing. But it sent a nice little message, and along with the number of cool women characters in the wider canon, it made an impression on me as a kid.

I really appreciate a lot of the lore changes made since the 2018 reboot, and the way the new rules really force you to remember your character is ultimately a monster. But I think pushing further and more unequivocally towards inclusivity, and providing tools to pull as few punches and include content as provocative as the genre kinda needs while still playing safely, is one of the better things about the new canon and its fandom.

Mhm, I agree! VTM, in my experience, tends to draw in a wide range of different people from different backgrounds, ethnicities, religions, etc, and the creators have always made an effort to try and be more inclusive. Honestky the way they do it is pretty clever, they have certain outdated names like the Aasamites be the result of in universe ignorance, rather than a complete retcon.

(P.S. We all forgot "heart monster with a hideous golden." ;))

Wouldn't disagree with you in the slightest, like I said they were broadly progressive for the 90's. :)

I've not investigate the reboot - largely because of drama around its inception and the drama a couple of years in...I might give it another couple of years for the dust to settle...then take a look at it.

One day I'll write a story of Louis, Lestat and a female. Vampire or not / yet. mmf. One day. Or night.

Back
Top Bottom