Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

What if instead of rebooting movies, retelling them from a different points of view became popular, which movie would you like retold?

PainHub

Professional Rawdogger
Bear with me here. I think part of what makes roleplaying great, is the collaborative aspect. You and I, we're both the author and the audience in a sense. We're privy to one or many character perspectives at once. However, there's myriad movies that we're not offered such variety and luxury. Instead we're limited to a single, insular lens of the "truth", from the view point of one character. In reality, the truth does not belong to you or I, in fact it's an evasive mirage that no mortal being can witness in it's purest form, but I digress. Excuse my weird philosophical tangent.

Anyhow, to reiterate the question, are there any movies that you'd be curious to watch, if told and narrated from the perspective of another character, or a different point of view entirely? If so, which movies?

For example, Harry Potter, but from Voldermort's perspective and an in depth exploration as to what exactly tainted the burgeoning talent of Tom Riddle into the ugly , no-nosed creature that became known as Lord Voldemort.

Toy story but from the perspective of Sid, who thought he was just innocently changing and breaking inanimate objects for his own fun but suddenly and horrifically learns the harm he has caused and forming some probably deep scars from realizing these magical items are out to get him and no one believes him. For some movies that would be the start of some hero's journey.

Toy story but from the perspective of Sid, who thought he was just innocently changing and breaking inanimate objects for his own fun but suddenly and horrifically learns the harm he has caused and forming some probably deep scars from realizing these magical items are out to get him and no one believes him. For some movies that would be the start of some hero's journey.
To be fair, Sid made some fucking horrendous hybrids, but point taken. That'd really change the genre and theme of Toy Story, Sid probably got diagnosed with schizophrenia shortly afterwards.

Personally, I'm more interested in Andy's mother's version of "Buzz" and "Woody". Veryyy different age rating ⚠️.

I mean a throw away answer would be Alien through the Alien's perspective, or really any horror movie killer through that lens. That said, it's a cool idea but I don't think it would be the best watching experience.

I think the more interesting angle would be to take a story about villains who had a point but did unjustifiable acts and finding ways to Justify it. X-men but focused on Magneto and his group just being an example off the top of my head. I could see very much horrible acts committed against mutants used to justify what they want to do, but also being played up at how they are effectively in many ways doing the same thing. All while playing out the whole idea of them going against the X-men very much being played out as them denying them justice.

Done in a good way really could make it very interesting to watch. I'm sure there are better examples of a Villain doing evil things but having some point of justification (even if they go to far) out there in film but to me that's the first one I thought about.

Movies are a different art form, of course, and tend to be made to be viewed statically, though there are examples of films that are more kinetic and have played with the format or encouraged interaction (like Black Mirror: Bandersnatch on Netflix).

With that said - yes, I would say there are a ton of interesting ones in which flipping the perspective would be extremely interesting. Especially if it is a villian; like watching Star Wars through Vader's lens I think is a fascinating experiment.

Disney movies are a good example and I'd run to the theater for a flipped version of Ursula's take on The Little Mermaid.

My kind of thread!

Top of my head:

Kill Bill, but O'ren Ishii POV - full retelling of her origin to her defeat, live action (though snippets from the anime origin story scene as the opening credits 😍).

The Hunger Games, but Haymitch is the main character, starting with his own reaping.

Recently watched Deadpool 2 again and once again found myself wanting to just watch Domino movies for the next ten years.

Hmmm...

Alita: Battle Angel, but from Nova's perspective (Nova being the antagonist-at-large, and the primary target of the movie's backstory).

Unforgiven, but told from the POV of Delilah Fitzgerald (the woman whose being assaulted was the catalyst for the movie's story).

The Movie Passengers but from the perspective of Jennifer Lawrence's character, being woken up from stasis on a colony ship with only one other person to then realize the one person chose to wake her up and doom her to life on a space craft with them out of selfish reasons. Would really play out like a phycological thriller (at least more so than it subtlety already was).

Back
Top Bottom